Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Studied for urine test
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871032

Default Re: Is having high quality analog buss compression worth a round trip through my fireface 800?

I bought it used, not sure if the warranty would cover it. I've had it on for many hours and it's still doing the same stuff. Honestly it's not much of a problem at lower ratios, but I'd like to have a unit that works perfectly.
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Default Re: Is having high quality analog buss compression worth a round trip through my fireface 800?

That blows. I think the one I got was a demo unit and it seems to work fine. Even used, they aren't cheap. I'd contact who you got it from and ask for a replacement. How long did you have it before you noticed this?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

I just got my second (used) FET III, after the first bunk one, and it's giving me this problem you describe here, even when feeding it a mono signal. If it's in dual mono mode, they'll only be about a dB or so different, if it's in stereo link it'll be about 6dB. I've triple checked settings in and out of the computer, swapped cables, used different outputs from my interface. The problem goes away in bypass. Is this operator error on my part or is this one messed up too? I have a hard time believing that I've received two messed up units, but I know they're delicate (my mic pre IV was damaged twice during shipping, on its way to me and on its way back from repair in NV). Any wisdom or tips are very much appreciated.
    With the caveat that I'm not an EE and may not know what I'm talking about:

Out of curiosity, if you set the meters to G/R and power the unit up, what do you see?

When I do that, the meters immediately slam all the way to the left, then they slowly go to 0, with the left channel getting there first. I think that that's capacitors charging up (because I can't think of anything else) and I think that's normal.

Another observation: When I was having the problem and the left channel was giving much more G/R than the right one with all the settings being the same on both channels and I was reluctant to send it immediately back, I adjusted the threshold on the left channel so that the meters indicated equal G/R and it sounded like it was working properly.

Here's a hail mary pass to try before you give up and send it out for service (again, from a non-expert)

The unit started working properly after I fiddled with the knobs. Since these are pots, I assume there is a wiper contacting a resistant material. Even though the units are pretty new, is it possible that the pots are dirty?

I don't know, but it wouldn't hurt to turn them back and forth like you would on your old electric guitar or amp.

Anyway, that's all I've got, other than sending it to be repaired.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871032

have you let the unit warm up a bit and try again?
    It was on all day, and the issue was present the whole time. Honestly it's not much of an issue with lower thresholds, especially in dual mono, but once you're slamming something at 20:1 the difference is huge. I don't plan on using it that way very much but I'd like to have a fully functional unit.
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871032

With the caveat that I'm not an EE and may not know what I'm talking about:

Out of curiosity, if you set the meters to G/R and power the unit up, what do you see?

When I do that, the meters immediately slam all the way to the left, then they slowly go to 0, with the left channel getting there first. I think that that's capacitors charging up (because I can't think of anything else) and I think that's normal.

Another observation: When I was having the problem and the left channel was giving much more G/R than the right one with all the settings being the same on both channels and I was reluctant to send it immediately back, I adjusted the threshold on the left channel so that the meters indicated equal G/R and it sounded like it was working properly.

Here's a hail mary pass to try before you give up and send it out for service (again, from a non-expert)

The unit started working properly after I fiddled with the knobs. Since these are pots, I assume there is a wiper contacting a resistant material. Even though the units are pretty new, is it possible that the pots are dirty?

I don't know, but it wouldn't hurt to turn them back and forth like you would on your old electric guitar or amp.

Anyway, that's all I've got, other than sending it to be repaired.

I appreciate the wisdom.

When I power it up it does exactly what you describe.

I did try turning the threshold and output gain knobs up and down a few times earlier today to see if that made a difference but it did not.

I'm going to get in touch with Daking tomorrow and see what they have to say, then based on that I may end up returning it to the seller I bought it from for a refund.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

It was on all day, and the issue was present the whole time. Honestly it's not much of an issue with lower thresholds, especially in dual mono, but once you're slamming something at 20:1 the difference is huge. I don't plan on using it that way very much but I'd like to have a fully functional unit.
    Interesting. I never use it at ratios greater than 5:1 so for all I know I have the same problem. I'm using it full stereo, though.

I'll try it as a limiter later and report back.

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

I checked it out in full stereo in 10:1 and 20:1 and both channels seem to be compressing equally.

I've mostly been using it 3:1 on the 2 bus.

Greedle
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,778
    Rep Power 536871398

The pots are very delicate and easily damaged.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Paranoia is setting in...gonna try mine at something higher. I think I tried tracking vox at 5:1, but that's mono. Time to make some noise I guess
    Repentant Sinner Flat Earth Society Member
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871079

I am going to be a little controversial maybe an go back to the original post.

I personally didn't think it was worth it. Yes I have used the real deals, but it snot about just that. I think you mix into whatever you have (and software wise most of us can use either the SSL or API style bus compressors and be happy).

But the good thing is obviously to own it, try it and compare. Even the plugin are different - all the SSL style ones are kinda doing the SSL thing but are all variations on it. I've found I prefer the SSL Duende on electronic and the SSL Waves on more acoustic/rock based material. They are of course modelled after different hardware as well which I am sure plays a big part.

Its also good I find to experiment. I noticed a producer I admire a lot using L1 on vocals - so never say never!

But I will say conversion on the cheaper units suffers, specially on the low end a little - I decided against a hardware bus compressor I was using due to what I was hearing. Could have been the compressor, or the ADDA conversion - not sure to be honest, but I still created a final mix the band were happy with so the real question is:

Who cares, and are they paying enough/are you getting enough to warrant buying the hardware?

I'd personally go for a higher conversion rate first - go up to a better clock etc - just to give me the chance if I do get the hardware.

By the way whose tried the Arousor plugin!
    SD

--------

"If yer still fucking around with it after 90 seconds, then you're gonna be fucking around with it for at least another 90 minutes... and things are not necessarily gonna be getting much better".
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

That was basically my sentiment until I had an "oh, fuck it" moment. I work like a slave all day/every day, might as well buy something I'm gonna enjoy.

Plug ins are fine, and you're probably right about higher same rates, but I've always wanted the hardware both for tracking and mixing. Can I quantify the diffetence? Probably not, but I'm now finding it easier to get things sounding the way I want. Which, I guess, could just as easily been done with plugins. Matter of taste I suppose.

Mind you, I'm just using stock plugins in logic. I've used pt setups with the waves emulations that sounded good also, but I was mixing through a SSL summer with a g compressor. Guess I'd have to buy them to see in my own environment.

I do like the sonnox stuff, on a side note.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Just an FYI ... Zen Pro Audio has a pair of Fet II's for just under $1,700 or a pair of Comp 500's for just under $800.
    I love thanks giving. I give thanks for the credit that big banks extend to me all year long, but especially at thanks giving!

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

yup, me too! And they're giving thanks all year long with the shit I bought. I'll have slave camp to thank for paying them back for god knows how long.

I'll still say, if you have the means, at least try it out. If its not working, most stuff can be sold rather easily. OTOH, pay it off over time. In the case of the first daking pre I bought, it's gone up over $500 since I bought and sold it. Still kicking myself.

The thing about any analog stuff is its probably gonna need service at some point. I've had sessions backlogged for 2 weeks because a console had to be recapped or a gape machine had to be serviced. Just the way she goes.
    Blah. Blah. Blee.

Somebody kill me.

SM.
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871032

The update is that I'm sending it to Dave from Daking and he will recalibrate it at no cost to me.

Honestly I love having it. On the stereo bus it is definitely an improvement over the VBC and other ITB compressors that I have, not to an outrageous extent, but still quite noticeable even to my deaf ears -especially when mixing through it from the beginning (as one should). I also really love having it for tracking. I've been using it on room mics and vocals mostly, but I didn't realize how much I missed having some analog compression in my front end.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Just goes to show what a solid company it is. Not going to China for several months, instead youre dealing straight with the guy in charge.

Same here. I got mine a few months ago and its kinda changed the way I mixed altogether. Loved it so much I bought a couple drawmers that were on sale (like a 1/4 of the cost new, ridiculous) just for tracking. Saves me repatching, as I had to when tracking with the fet 3.

Its good to hear customer service is still alive and well with that company