Thread: Here goes everything.

Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 966
    Rep Power 536870972

Default Here goes everything.

So I realize this doesn't make me a "pro" or anything, but it's a milestone for me and I'm excited. I got my first real gig. Like legit, not a friend of a friend thing. I landed a live album for a band at a smallish club. They have a live sound guy that they like/trust so he's doing most of the heavy lifting when it comes to the capture. It's not a complicated set up. I'm pulling a feed off a Bheringer Producer 32. I'm upstream of anything he's doing, straight off the mic pres.
    I did my best to keep my thoughts simple. Make sure gain was good, that I actually hit record...and that it was actually recording.

I didn't have much control after the show started and inevitably the drummer got a little excited about half way through the night. The engineer saw it, but decided to "let it ride" for a minute. That equated into two songs where the toms clips clip pretty bad, but it's livable. I feel like the capture was overall pretty good.

The band goes like this;

Lead singer on an SM58 and a Sure "Green Bullet" for some distorted vocals
    Backup singer on an SM58
    Fiddle - plugged into an amp, mic'd with a 57.
    Guitar/Amp mic'd with a e609
    Stand up Bass DI from transducer type pickup on it.
    Drums
    Beta91 inside kick
    Telefunken M82 ousdie kick
    Telefunken M80 Snare
    Telefunken M81 on rack and floor tom
    Single overhead SDC (don't remember what was used on that)

Everyone was running late, so I didn't get to try and set up anything for the crowd. I was a little bummed about that, but they were so close you end up hearing them a lot in the stage mics. It is a brick building, so it's really damn live.

We're going to record two shows total and take the best 12-14 songs from that. I recorded a little over 2 hours the first night (22 songs I think). When I sat down to start going through this, I didn't have any clue what the best or even an acceptable approach was ... but what I did was go through and balance like I would have for a live show. I ended up using a fair bit of compression on drums, bass and vocals. I didn't touch the guitar much at all. There's a decent amount of EQ on everything too. I fought with a weird delay/echo for the longest time too. Turned out the back up vocal mic was getting a huge dose of the monitors in it and it was doing this crazy delay thing. The best I could do to fix it was scooted it up 30ms so that it was in time with everything else. It didn't seem to affect her timing on the songs, so I've called that good for now.

Like I was saying, I bounced around from song to song and tried to get a general balance for everything across all of the songs. It worked well for some, wasn't quite right for others, but my thinking was I wanted to establish what the overall picture of the album would be. I wanted my general EQ and Compression choices to be pretty consistent across all of the songs. I was afraid if I did them independently I'd wind up with songs that din't sound the same, even though they might have been played and recorded one right after the other.
    So after I did that I cut up each song into it's own project. I've started balancing for the specific songs and making minor adjustments to EQ or Compression if needed. But mostly it's been adjusting levels or doing some automation to push up the guitar or fiddle when required.

I won't go through the torture of posting everything, but here are the first three songs. I also want to try and stand on my own two feet for this project. So I don't intend on going back and forth looking for changes from you guys ... but I thought you might like to hear how I'm doing so far.
    (That said... I'm always open for advice and I know I'm not there yet with these three.)
    In particular, I'm not happy with the way the kick drum sounds. It's boomie and sometimes disappears into the bass. The acoustic guitar is so bad sounding that I have to bury it most of the time too. Trying to figure out what to do with that. Otherwise... this is easy!! haha.

I haven't trimmed down the begining or end of the recordings so it takes a second to get to the good stuff on a couple of them.

::EDITED::
    Folder Level Link

-r
    Last edited by RenoPowers; September 13th, 2016 at 04:53 PM.
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,766
    Rep Power 536871396

Default Re: Here goes everything.

Well, you can record some crowd noise during the second gig and just dub it in as needed...
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

Me likey!
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549529

Are the files gone already? I was going to have a listen but the links don't work.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 966
    Rep Power 536870972

Are the files gone already? I was going to have a listen but the links don't work.
    My bad!!! Was messing around last night and waxed them.
    I've edited the original post to include the folder level link. I'm using that folder to drop things in as I go along. Feel free to browse anytime you guys like.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 966
    Rep Power 536870972

Well, you can record some crowd noise during the second gig and just dub it in as needed...

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549529

My bad!!! Was messing around last night and waxed them.
    I've edited the original post to include the folder level link. I'm using that folder to drop things in as I go along. Feel free to browse anytime you guys like.

-r
    I've only listened to the first song so far, but it sounds pretty good, nice job!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,130
    Rep Power 536871376

At Motown I made up a 1" 8 track loop with four different crowd noises that I lifted from a remote Norman Smith had recorded for us in London using the EMI rig. I'd then mix between them depending on what's going on.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 966
    Rep Power 536870972

Someone told me that there were audience tracks that you could buy, but I haven't dug too far into that.
    I'm going to try and get a mic or two up during this next session (on Tuesday) and see what I get.

To be honest though, the stage mics have picked up quite a bit. I think I can pull pieces from between songs and use it.
    There are times too, where there's too much crowd noise during some of the quieter songs.

I'm approaching it cautiously. My biggest fear is to put something on there that sounds unnatural or faked.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,130
    Rep Power 536871376

That's why I mixed different reactions together.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 966
    Rep Power 536870972

I'll see if I can find some success with that too, Bob. I'm thinking I can layer some of the different bits together in different ways and create some options. Being that they were recorded in the same place/same time, I'm hopeful that will make it a little easier for me to blend it in on this first attempt. Fun! Fun!

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 966
    Rep Power 536870972

I have everything chopped up and in a decent state, ready for the bands feedback.

I also spent some time yesterday putting some applause tracks together. Wasn't as quick/easy as I thought it would be ... it was a great learning opportunity. Had to dig into my DAW and learn a few new things. So ultimately a good outcome.

I'm eager and a bit nervous about how I'll go about putting all these tracks together for mastering. Since it's live, each song will need to feel like it flows from one to the other.
    I'm thinking after i get my mixes where I want them, I'll have to put all the songs in one sessions then couple them (with my audience tracks in between). Then split each at a logical point.
    What I'm afraid/unsure of is my levels. I tried to listen and watch the master bus meter to try and keep all the individual mixes around the same point. But I'm betting there will be some differences.

Any general direction on how best to tackle that task? How best to take the individual songs and stitch them back together so that they move one into the other nicely?

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,130
    Rep Power 536871376

Track markers can be put anywhere so just send the whole thing.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 966
    Rep Power 536870972

Well I said I didn't want to lean on you guys opinions for this ... but I'm a little unsure of myself when it comes to stitching these together with some audience filler.

Would any of you mind taking a listen to this track and seeing if you hear anything really wonky with the transitions. It seems convening enough to me ... but I could be lying to myself. haha.

5 songs stitched together

It's like 30 minutes of total time and there's not a real good indicator for the end of the songs. You can jump around to the times below.
    Song 1/2 around 6:00
    Song 2/3 around 10:30
    Song 3/4 around 14:50
    Song 4/5 around 18:25

I appreciate it.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,130
    Rep Power 536871376

I would bring the applause in earlier under the ends. The final applause comes in better. Find a chunk with just a few people clapping.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 966
    Rep Power 536870972

thx. will do.

-r
    Sign Here