Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Jan 2014
    Posts 7
    Rep Power 41

Default Actual Cost To Launch An Artist Career / Promote An Album?

I manage and invest in an independent band. We're putting out an album ourselves soon. I'm putting together a promotional plan for the album release.

After talking to a marketing company. It looks like the cost to "break" the band (hopefully on a national scale) is going to be about 125K-175K.

Breakdown Of The Costs:
    Radio Promotion: 30K-50K
    PR / Press / Marketing: 10.5K (3 Months)
    Touring & Project Management: 30K-60K
    Video Production: 25K (5x Music Videos)
    Recording: 30K (This has already been spent)

Curious to know what you guys think about this? Is this reasonable? I wonder how much a decent sized indie label usually spends to promote a new artist.

I thought this all seemed quite pricey until I read this article about how much a Major Label spends (500K-2M) to get an artist out there. http://www.ifpi.org/how-record-labels-invest.php
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

Default Re: Actual Cost To Launch An Artist Career / Promote An Album?

It's more expensive today than ever. I would beware of marketing companies. Every artist has a unique audience and that's who you need to reach. There is little evidence that radio sells records today.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871392

Radio still sells the pop hits. But if you're not a Katy Perry or Justin Bieber type of artiste it's not relevant to you.
    Most friends are "on the inside". Skank Muffin
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 673
    Rep Power 536871050

Just wondering if you've heard of a company called distro kid. Doesn't really apply for videos, but for music it seems interesting. Looks like a cheap way to get music onto Spotify,iTunes, and a bunch of others. $20/year subscription and you keep 100% of your sales. $150k + is a crazy amount of money to spend on what's essentially a 'hail Mary'.
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 714
    Rep Power 536871044

Interesting. I'll have to check how different is what these guys do from, say, CDBaby (the do also handle digital media, not just CD replication).

As for marketing agencies... I don't like them in general. And to launch a band, it just seems weird. But I'm pretty sure I have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,550
    Rep Power 536871028

no, it's an insane amount of money. especially for today. 5 videos? Are there even 5 singles worth it?
    TAP TO MASTER
    Join Date Jan 2014
    Posts 7
    Rep Power 41

It costs money to get music heard. It's a business. You have to promote it. Very rarely do music acts gain exposure "organically".

Anyone can get music on the major digital retailers/streamers (iTunes, Spotify, Amazon ect.) via CDbaby/DistroKid/Tunecore. It's cheap and easy. Doesn't mean anyone is going to hear it.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

Radio still sells the pop hits. But if you're not a Katy Perry or Justin Bieber type of artiste it's not relevant to you.
    How many of this week's album chart are on the radio? http://thewombforums.com/showthread....um-sales-chart
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 673
    Rep Power 536871050

It costs money to get music heard. It's a business. You have to promote it. Very rarely do music acts gain exposure "organically".

Anyone can get music on the major digital retailers/streamers (iTunes, Spotify, Amazon ect.) via CDbaby/DistroKid/Tunecore. It's cheap and easy. Doesn't mean anyone is going to hear it.
    The platform on which you put your music on shouldn't matter if people know who you are and like your stuff. Paying upwards of 50k to get your song in a rotation that may or may not even end up being played is just a waste of money.

Isn't " exposure " just another way of saying playing live? You're literally exposing your songs and performance in front of actual people. If done well, they'll look for you instead of having to beat them over the head with marketing campaigns. Its a system that has bands (that I know, anyways) taking part time jobs between tours because they're flat broke. Just doesn't seem like a sustainable option anymore.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,542
    Rep Power 536871422

I don't think it ever was, for most bands. The top acts make money on tour but there's no way to tell how much unless you know what their gross receipts are and their overhead is. When you read about what acts make on the road (or wherever) the person writing usually doesn't have a clue, not being privvy to that info (overhead, specifically).

Back in the 20th century you'd read in the newspaper that some huge act, like the Rolling Stones was going on tour to promote their new album because presumably selling records was where the big money was.

Now there are thousands of bands that most people have never heard of giving away their recorded work to try to get exposure so that they can go on tour and make no money.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2014
    Posts 7
    Rep Power 41

The platform on which you put your music on shouldn't matter if people know who you are and like your stuff. Paying upwards of 50k to get your song in a rotation that may or may not even end up being played is just a waste of money.
    Agree, but I'm not sure what your point is.

Isn't " exposure " just another way of saying playing live? You're literally exposing your songs and performance in front of actual people. If done well, they'll look for you instead of having to beat them over the head with marketing campaigns. Its a system that has bands (that I know, anyways) taking part time jobs between tours because they're flat broke. Just doesn't seem like a sustainable option anymore.
    Live is one form of exposure, and an important one. There are other forms of exposure too.

It's like having a product that you're trying to sell. Your product can be great, and word of mouth will do wonders for you, but you still spend money in various ways to get it out there.

Making a living off being a small/mid level band is tough, but it's always been tough IMO. This is an interesting article: https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...their-day-jobs
    Join Date Jan 2014
    Posts 7
    Rep Power 41

How many of this week's album chart are on the radio? http://thewombforums.com/showthread....um-sales-chart
    I didn't look them all up, but Green Day is number one, and their lead single from that album is also number one on Active Rock radio.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 673
    Rep Power 536871050

Also, schepps mixed that on a macbook pro. The hardware he used probably didn't hurt tho.

And my point was its almost better to take a chance with aa cheaper distribution platform than pay 50k to get your song on what's basically a radio waiting list. Doesn't make sense if the band is doing the ground work. Word of mouth will trump advertising every time.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,542
    Rep Power 536871422

Agree, but I'm not sure what your point is.

Live is one form of exposure, and an important one. There are other forms of exposure too.

It's like having a product that you're trying to sell. Your product can be great, and word of mouth will do wonders for you, but you still spend money in various ways to get it out there.

Making a living off being a small/mid level band is tough, but it's always been tough IMO. This is an interesting article: https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...their-day-jobs
    “They come up and say, ‘what are you doing here? Do you not make enough from band alone?’ And I say a) no and b) why would I not be working even if that was the case?”
    Because you could be writing, playing, maybe learning a new instrument, recording, producing, sailing boats, raising a family or snorting coke off groupies' navels, like a mid-level 20th century act would be doing instead of having to rationalize being fucked by your own generation which, by and large, doesn't pay for music.

He’s obviously one of the lucky ones. He enjoys what he does, having managed to monetize music in some way.
    By managing a 200 cap. venue? Because he can't make money either touring or selling records?

To be sure, most people who try to make it big in music, movies, or practically anything else, don't succeed. Never have. That has always been the case.

There just seems to be too little money and too many bands. I blame piracy for the former and punk rock for the latter.

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

There just seems to be too little money and too many bands. I blame piracy for the former and punk rock for the latter.
    There have always been too many bands. But before the internet the mediocrities were more or less confined to their local areas, they weren't able to flood the "market" with their dreck.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 673
    Rep Power 536871050

Could it be that its easier for people to like what's getting repeatedly played on the major outlets instead of having to wade through a sea of medeocre sounding stuff? There was a time I tried keeping my ear to the ground, so to speak, but now it almost seems impossible.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

Could it be that its easier for people to like what's getting repeatedly played on the major outlets instead of having to wade through a sea of medeocre sounding stuff? There was a time I tried keeping my ear to the ground, so to speak, but now it almost seems impossible.

Who says they actually like it?

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 673
    Rep Power 536871050

Not me, just playing devils advocate for a minute.

Ever get a song stuck in your head for no reason? Same kind of reasoning behind what I suggested.
    Blah. Blah. Blee.

Somebody kill me.

SM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,542
    Rep Power 536871422

I don't know about easier to like but certainly easier to hear.

Word of mouth is king but you can't tell your friends about music you've never heard.

Greedle
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

Not me, just playing devils advocate for a minute.

Ever get a song stuck in your head for no reason? Same kind of reasoning behind what I suggested.
    I often get songs stuck in my head that I utterly loathe. Earworms.