Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

Default Re: Actual Cost To Launch An Artist Career / Promote An Album?

I don't know if its "making a wage", but in Canada there's a program called factor (foundation for assisting creative talent on records, or something like that). You submit a demo and fill out a form, the decision comes from a panel of " industry professionals". Basically, it's just another loan you'll have to pay back. I think they also give out grants, but the criteria for that is greater.

From what I've heard, you basically have to prove to them you can pay back the loan in order to get one, or show that you're established enough. Good, because it weeds out the riff Raff, bad because even if your music's good and need help but nobody on the panel has heard of you, you're on your own.
    The difference between those foundations and banks is basically that the foundations are somewhat more likely to give loans to artists and maybe at a better interest rate.

Who determines which people choose which government officials get to decide which industry officials get to decide who is worthy?

Sounds like a recipe for collusion.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

From what I understand its run by the same a&r executives working for the majors. Doesn't seem any different, really.

You have to be an entrepreneur in a sea of other ones, or hand over the deed to your house and hope to god you make it. Awesome.

If there's another way, I haven't heard of it yet. I'll keep my house and hope for the best. There's always the lottery.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,778
    Rep Power 536871398

There is no way.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

^^ the last post John made on Friday night before passing out

running out of steam
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 716
    Rep Power 536871047

I've looked into the "grants scene". It seems that even though Factor is the one handing out the biggest checks, it's also the hardest one to get something from unless you're really a commercially-viable artist (as in... radio-friendly and all that jazz). However, there are LOTS of other grants you can apply for. They're not big, and there's a lot of paperwork involved (both to apply for, and also the follow the project), but there are opportunities here to get some moneys. How long will they last... who knows.
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

I think the last time I looked, a demo grant was $1500. Not a lot, but something I guess.

But yeah, there was a local bad that was gaining some momentum that me and a buddy worked on. Tried the factor route and we were flat out denied. It wasn't a big one either, maybe $2500 worth, can't remember what category it was under. Long story short, I didn't get paid a dime for any of the work I did lol. Turns out working for spec is even more difficult than winning lottomax.
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 716
    Rep Power 536871047

Doesn't surprise me. From what I've heard, Factor grants are usually reserved for artists that already have some commercial success, and it's usually the labels who apply for those. Start-ups are way better off looking elsewhere.