Thread: How do people pitch and time audio in Logic?

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi no, I'm not bitter....really I'm not
    Join Date Apr 2015
    Posts 3
    Rep Power 28

Default How do people pitch and time audio in Logic?

Using Flex Pitch? Has anyone ever tried Revoice Pro?

http://www.synchroarts.com/videos/ho...th-logic-pro-x
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Default Re: How do people pitch and time audio in Logic?

For me it's either Flex Pitch or Melodyne.

Mind you, these days, I'm becoming more of a hard-ass on it telling singers to learn to sing the freakin' melody and practice it before having me record it. And, honestly, I don't care if I hurt their feelings anymore.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

For me it's either Flex Pitch or Melodyne.

Mind you, these days, I'm becoming more of a hard-ass on it telling singers to learn to sing the freakin' melody and practice it before having me record it. And, honestly, I don't care if I hurt their feelings anymore.

jord
    Tell 'em to learn to sing and play or get out of the studio. It's not like they're actually paying you anything....
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Amazingly enough, the ones that do pay me are the ones who can sing. I swear, one girl I recorded, you'd think she swallowed a pitch correction box. Some others... well... you know...

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Repentant Sinner Flat Earth Society Member
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871078

Amazingly enough, the ones that do pay me are the ones who can sing. I swear, one girl I recorded, you'd think she swallowed a pitch correction box. Some others... well... you know...

jord
    I think its very valid to get the best performance you can, and I always encourage it. I guess a few things can effect you.

1. If you've been given a project to work on and you weren't tracking/producing.

2. Time.

3. The sound you are going for, even a great performance can be tightened up for certain pop productions. And Harmonies are sometimes a little trickier for singers, so I do assist if needed.

I use Logics flex pitch for very minor stuff, melodyne or waves tune depending. For timing I mainly use logics flex time.

If I'll say one thing its that deciding between timing/pitch and emotion are really where you have to be careful, don't steal away the emotion of the singing.

My job is to make sure it sounds the best for the song, if the artists cannot sing it well enough, its really in their best interests to improve, and ultimately provided I can get the performance I need not so much my problem. They with have to sing it live - and they will look silly if they cannot pull it of.

I worked with a singer for quite sometime and at first I was correcting quite a bit, but by the end of the project they seemed to key in better to the pitching and were requiring hardly any correction at all - its a learning curve for some.
    SD

--------

"If yer still fucking around with it after 90 seconds, then you're gonna be fucking around with it for at least another 90 minutes... and things are not necessarily gonna be getting much better".
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

My job is to make sure it sounds the best for the song,
    Ah, but the question is "What is best for the song?" I'm sick to death of "remedially autotuned" pop songs that could have been quite good if they hadn't had all the emotion sucked out of them by some vampire with a DAW.

if the artists cannot sing it well enough, its really in their best interests to improve, and ultimately provided I can get the performance I need not so much my problem. They with have to sing it live - and they will look silly if they cannot pull it of.
    You can buy a live autotune box for $250.

Quite frequently I've called out a song for being very obviously tuned to somebody who tells me "It isn't autotuned - I saw them live!"
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Repentant Sinner Flat Earth Society Member
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871078

Ah, but the question is "What is best for the song?" I'm sick to death of "remedially autotuned" pop songs that could have been quite good if they hadn't had all the emotion sucked out of them by some vampire with a DAW.

Quite frequently I've called out a song for being very obviously tuned to somebody who tells me "It isn't autotuned - I saw them live!"

I guess I we should be happy they are singing at all these days!

I do agree though its not great, but for now its a tool we have, but if they think thats the right way to do it, thats to the detriment of the artists I think. Always good to point out to the performer if they have pitch issues, you can do no more than that sometimes.
    SD

--------

"If yer still fucking around with it after 90 seconds, then you're gonna be fucking around with it for at least another 90 minutes... and things are not necessarily gonna be getting much better".
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

I'll take any Neil Young tune over all of today's pop-tarts. At least you can say it ain't autotuned.

Someone once tried to pitch correct some Neil Young vocals for laughs. Talk about destroying the emotion.

They've probably heard so many autotuned vocals that they can no longer tell unless it's extreme. They're totally desensitized.

I remember Billy Joel once went through one of those live boxes and it was pathetic. It would have better if he just lip-sync'd.

I guess I we should be happy they are singing at all these days!
    No! We should be happier if they don't sing.

If they can't hold a tune because they're too lazy to practice their techniques, or they're better off just playing an instrument, or they're better pursuing a career in the custodial arts, then the microphone is no place for them to be in front of.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

Hum... I want to be respectful and take you seriously, but your signature makes me suspicious.

Ultimately, it's true though. If the artist wants to record a tennis ball being squeezed out of his ass ... he can. But he's also subject to the public's rejection of his ideas. At least from the standpoint of capitalizing on it monetarily.

Frankly, I don't think many people will respond favorably to my tennis ball album idea ... nor to the continued auto tuned play-doh that keeps coming out of the big music machines. And I think that's the point being made above.

...of course I could be wrong... we're on the brink of electing Donald Trump to lead the country after all.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________