D minor, the saddest of keys! Wing Commander!!
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Location Wellington NZ
    Posts 831
    Rep Power 469762089

Default Re: How many subscription streams equals an album purchase?

I guess I'm guilty too, but I certainly don't feel that way. I buy a lot less music than I used to, thanks to the opportunities to listen free / cheaply. I still buy copies (physical, if available) of all the music I like. I simply no longer spend money on music that I don't like. The days of buying an album after hearing a promising track on the radio, only to find the rest of the album was totally different, have gone and good riddance. At least in the old days I could resell an album I didn't like, but downloads killed that.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,775
    Rep Power 536871397

I guess I'm guilty too, but I certainly don't feel that way.
    Of course you don't. The tech companies go out of their way to make the public feel they have a RIGHT to take our work without paying so they can use it as a loss leader to sell more services and widgits. You think they're going to tell people "Sure, you can download all the music you want from us but the people who make it won't get paid, their careers and sometimes lives will be destroyed, and ultimately ther quality of music being created will be diminished to the point where nobody even cares about it anymore?"

Hell, no! They're going to tell everybody that we're evil rich people who don't need money - while they rake in billions.

I buy a lot less music than I used to, thanks to the opportunities to listen free / cheaply.
    Of course.Why pay for what you can get for free, any time you want?

I still buy copies (physical, if available) of all the music I like. I simply no longer spend money on music that I don't like. The days of buying an album after hearing a promising track on the radio, only to find the rest of the album was totally different, have gone and good riddance.
    Sop you've never had the experience of not liking an album at first, only to check it out again later (perhaps with your mind less influenced by expectations) to discover that you really like it? Or finding out that you really like an album EXCEPT for the big hit that was all over the radio?

At least in the old days I could resell an album I didn't like, but downloads killed that.
    Yes, they sure did.;
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 720
    Rep Power 536871054

I've been guilty of buying online through I tunes, but I always bought the whole album (sometimes before it came out). In the future, I'm buying it physically. Fuck this shit. If it costs another $10, so what? Unless you're saving up for a tattoo, what impact does that really have on your life?

I use this as an example only because a band member used this as an excuse to not pay up for a session that was 6 months old. Just goes to show where peoples priorities are.
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Location Wellington NZ
    Posts 831
    Rep Power 469762089

... Sop you've never had the experience of not liking an album at first, only to check it out again later (perhaps with your mind less influenced by expectations) to discover that you really like it? Or finding out that you really like an album EXCEPT for the big hit that was all over the radio?...
    All my life I've gritted my teeth buying pigs in pokes while wishing there was a practical way (beyond listening posts at the store) to decide if I liked it enough to buy it. Now I have the ability, I'm damn well going to use it. On the plus side, there have been a few I've bought recently that I'd never have considered if I didn't have the opportunity to explore.

As for the cases you ask about above, yes, it has happened. But certainly not enough to compensate for the ones I didn't like then and still don't like now. Over the last few years I've been able to go through a lot of the music I resold or turned down when I was younger, and there have been only a couple of cases where I've changed my mind. And then the record company still doesn't get any money, because I seek out original releases rather than smashed to the wall re-releases.

( I will repeat that I do buy, on CD if possible, the music that I like. I don't keep music that I don't like - it would be a waste of space, because I'd never listen to it.)
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,775
    Rep Power 536871397

You knmow, to tell the truth I can hardly recall buying ANY album that I didn't like enough songs on to justify the purchase. Maybe one or two, and I'm not even sure about that.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Location Wellington NZ
    Posts 831
    Rep Power 469762089

You knmow, to tell the truth I can hardly recall buying ANY album that I didn't like enough songs on to justify the purchase. Maybe one or two, and I'm not even sure about that.
    That may be why you used to say something to the effect that buying a 99 cent track was like buying a candy bar. You were very likely to like it. We differ, because whenever you said it I thought to myself, "every candy bar in the shop is in a different wrapper and has different ingredients. There's no way I can know if I'm going to like the taste, and no way to either find a similar one next time if I liked it, or avoid a similar one if I didn't like it."
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 716
    Rep Power 536871045

Well, nothing is gonna change the fact that pretty much all music can be now streamed from YouTube. So... there. Go check it out! If you like it, buy it then! All my music comes from albums that I've purchased online (for stuff that is really hard to find in stores), or CD's/USB keys I've purchased at shows (I prefer the latter). It's just a choice I made a while ago, personally. I'm not saying I'm right. It's just my way of "restoring balance to the force" (but we all know where that quest took Anankin).
    My trumpin' $0.02
    Surfing the net at work every day! Drives a Zamboni to work
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 1hr N/W of LA LA land
    Posts 345
    Rep Power 452911035

And then the record company still doesn't get any money, because I seek out original releases rather than smashed to the wall re-releases.
    This is the primary reason why I don't buy music from iTunes. Why should I pay them $.99 per AAC for squashed files with DRM when I can get a clean used original CD release from the jungle or the local record store for less, and use it however I want?

Don't get me started on the various "high definition" music services trying to get me to buy FLAC files of average recordings with empty bits added to make them "HD" for $20+. That shit is just wrong.

Just another grumpy old fuck ranting here I guess. The kids don't seem to care much about quality these days. As long as they stay off my lawn it's all good.
    "I'd say ALWAYS think of yourself as the listener!" - Bob Olhsson
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870972

Just another grumpy old fuck ranting here I guess. The kids don't seem to care much about quality these days. As long as they stay off my lawn it's all good.
    ^^HAHA^^

A serious question though. Did "kids" every care about the quality of the playback? I'm suggesting they didn't. I'm saying they used to get it in better quality by happenstance, not because they demanded it. Methods of delivery were limited and the shittier/cheaper ways weren't available. But if they were, I don't feel like they kids would have revolted.

As a kid in the 80/90's my income was like most others, fairly limited. It prohibited me from buying anythin of real quality. I bought the $99 Pioneer deck from Wal Mart and stuffed the biggest subs I could behind the seat of my truck. That wasn't for quality sake, it was for being loud as I cruzed the lake... and to shake the shit out of my brain apparently.
    My friends did the same. None of us spend money to get audiophile level listening space. We just listend on whatever was playing. Generally some single speaker boom box or in our vehicles. In comparison, I think todays boom boxes and car sterio systems are head and shoulders above what I had in the 80s and 90s.

I don't know that the "kids don't care about audio quality" statement really has any bearing on anything. The means in which kids consume is more happnestance than choice or demand.

I think that starts to change when you're talking about the 20 somethigns and older. When you got to an age where you had disposable income you could start disposing of it on quality audio components.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 345
    Rep Power 452911035

^^HAHA^^

A serious question though. Did "kids" every care about the quality of the playback? I'm suggesting they didn't. I'm saying they used to get it in better quality by happenstance, not because they demanded it. Methods of delivery were limited and the shittier/cheaper ways weren't available. But if they were, I don't feel like they kids would have revolted.

As a kid in the 80/90's my income was like most others, fairly limited. It prohibited me from buying anythin of real quality. I bought the $99 Pioneer deck from Wal Mart and stuffed the biggest subs I could behind the seat of my truck. That wasn't for quality sake, it was for being loud as I cruzed the lake... and to shake the shit out of my brain apparently.
    My friends did the same. None of us spend money to get audiophile level listening space. We just listend on whatever was playing. Generally some single speaker boom box or in our vehicles. In comparison, I think todays boom boxes and car sterio systems are head and shoulders above what I had in the 80s and 90s.

I don't know that the "kids don't care about audio quality" statement really has any bearing on anything. The means in which kids consume is more happnestance than choice or demand.

I think that starts to change when you're talking about the 20 somethigns and older. When you got to an age where you had disposable income you could start disposing of it on quality audio components.

-r
    When I was a "kid" discovering music for the first time(basically late '70s to mid '80s) I knew relatively young people (20s) who had "HiFi" stereo systems (Marantz, McIntosh, etc.), and extensive collections of vinyl, and RTR. Those systems were completely out of reach for me or even my parents. About that same time was when I discovered that I had a talent for playing music myself, and it used to amaze me how many musicians I met didn't give a shit about their listening systems. It's all relative I guess, but music was pretty much it other than movies back then. Then came video games, the internet, and social media. Who has time for anything beyond casual listening anymore? Only the most dedicated like us. It was different back then. Nearly everyone was into music even if it was pop crap.

I also don't play live or record much anymore because I decided it wasn't worth my time for what I was being paid, and not enough people seemed to care whether there was a band, a DJ, or a juke box.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 720
    Rep Power 536871054

Well, what age would you categorize "kids" in then? I might be considered one compared to some of the veterans here. I started caring about playback quality as soon as I cared about music.

And I'll agree, I don't really see the point on the HD tracks thing either. Another way to drum up sales. On a well recorded album, I honestly can't tell the difference between PCM and HD tracks ...

I recently mixed something that I had mix notes given to me based on listening with some Bluetooth speaker. Who needs a stereo I guess...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 345
    Rep Power 452911035

Well, what age would you categorize "kids" in then? I might be considered one compared to some of the veterans here. I started caring about playback quality as soon as I cared about music.

And I'll agree, I don't really see the point on the HD tracks thing either. Another way to drum up sales. On a well recorded album, I honestly can't tell the difference between PCM and HD tracks ...

I recently mixed something that I had mix notes given to me based on listening with some Bluetooth speaker. Who needs a stereo I guess...
    I guess for this discussion we could consider kids to be in the 15-25 year old range which I think is the critical time when you develop your core musical taste, and appreciation.

I don't need to have great quality sound to enjoy music, but I sure prefer it that way!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 720
    Rep Power 536871054

Guess I'm clear then, lol.

I've heard a lot of stuff from bands I like that I just can't listen to anymore. I don't know if it's just to smashed or I just didn't notice it before.

Think I might experiment and get the old shitty turntable up and see if any of the the releases on vynil sound any better. Happy Halloween! Gonna go drink scotch now

(Laphroig in case john is watching, lol)