Thread: Don't Be Hypocrites, DMN

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

Enjoy Don't Be Hypocrites, DMN

The shit show going on at Digital Music News illustrates precisely why Big Tech is winning the battle over Copyright. There isn't a united front and I've got something to say about it.

Enjoy, #Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Most friends are "on the inside". Skank Muffin
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 673
    Rep Power 536871050

Default Re: Don't Be Hypocrites, DMN

Lol, "were all hobbyists now". I guess that's pretty much the case. I think if more people bought physical media again (and from what I heard, greenday's latest has sold more physical copies than streamed/downloaded), big tech would start getting nervous and change their tune.

Until then, I'll hobby on I guess.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

I didn't know there even existed a job description called musician/composer/engineer outside the propaganda ministerium (department) of the new world where saying "butt/ass/twerk" is the key to get played.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

I didn't know there even existed a job description called musician/composer/engineer outside the propaganda ministerium (department) of the new world where saying "butt/ass/twerk" is the key to get played.
    That's why I just use the term Produsah now. It covers all the bases.

#Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

I posted an A-MEN! I'll never forget the time I read that Motorola had just hired the president of Kodak for their computer division because they believed the future was going to be in serving hobbyists.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 714
    Rep Power 536871044

I've discovered there are large amounts of Produsahs on Instagram and Twitter. Looks like the future is bright for the music biz!
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871392

Hey, there ARE professionals who are producer/engineer/musicians/composers

although most prefer to not do those jobs all at once, unless absolutely necessary.

But it's not the multi facets that makes one a hobbyist. It's the 'master of none' aspect.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,542
    Rep Power 536871422

From DMN "About us":

Digital Music News is the authority on news and information for the music industry and technology executives worldwide.
    DMN is playing both sides.

According to Ari's bio, he has played 600 gigs at venues of up to 800 capacity, then he felt he needed a break from touring (in actuality he probably didn't break even even though he tours with a loop box instead of other musicians) then he became a TV actor so he could make some money.

His main product seems to be a book on how to make it in the music business.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

Hey, there ARE professionals who are producer/engineer/musicians/composers

although most prefer to not do those jobs all at once, unless absolutely necessary.

But it's not the multi facets that makes one a hobbyist. It's the 'master of none' aspect.
    Absolutely.

Mixerman

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

From DMN "About us":

DMN is playing both sides.

According to Ari's bio, he has played 600 gigs at venues of up to 800 capacity, then he felt he needed a break from touring (in actuality he probably didn't break even even though he tours with a loop box instead of other musicians) then he became a TV actor so he could make some money.

His main product seems to be a book on how to make it in the music business.
    They are definitely trying to straddle both sides. But I'm not having any of that.

They clearly, purposely gin up controversy. But Ari drinks the copyright free kool aid, as does Paul.

There's a word for people like that.

Suckers.

Mixerman

Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871392

There's a word for people like that.

Suckers.

or "shills"
    Most friends are "on the inside". Skank Muffin
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 673
    Rep Power 536871050

Id be interested to know how they are funded with comments like that. Seriously, what the fuck is going on?

I've said before, boycott and buy physical instead, but I guess with their money power, it's only a matter of time before they controlled that as well.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,550
    Rep Power 536871028

Id be interested to know how they are funded with comments like that. Seriously, what the fuck is going on?

I've said before, boycott and buy physical instead, but I guess with their money power, it's only a matter of time before they controlled that as well.

I went to the article in question and the comments in the comments section of Ari's article actually give me a sliver of hope. There seems to be enough people willing to call the arguments out on the bullshit they are. Maybe it is anecdotal evidence, but I never got the impression in my time in the industry that the major players didn't care about artists. They seemed to really care about the success of the artists and the future of the company... probably because they had to make money doing it. UMG took a huge risk and loss on my group, and that risk (of theirs) allowed me to pursue music for several years longer than if they, or another 'old school' industry player hadn't given us that opportunity. I'm aware that's only anecdotal and not indicative of the usual 'bad behavior' (there was some of that, too), but reading these arguments it quickly becomes obvious that the author has no stake in creating anything. Artists need help.

It doesn't help, given the political climate, to make some of the absurd and insulting arguments in the article, but as someone pointed out in the comments, maybe even that move was calculated, to get clicks. It seems to have worked.

Artists and songwriters are hopefully wising up. They are still the only ones who can create songs. But they've had their balls cut off and they need to feel empowered again.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,542
    Rep Power 536871422

Maybe they should changing it to Digital Ari's Music Network.

DAMN!

This isn't the first time Ari has mindlessly parroted the Big Tech lies.

About how the big, bad, stupid record companies were suing children and grandmas, for example. Every time I've looked into such hyperbolic claims the person actually being sued is an arrogant libertarian with no regard for other people's rights who has been uploading hundreds or thousands of tracks while thinking they are some kind of patriot or revolutionary.

Telling us that millenials aren't going to pay for music, so get over it.

About how there isn't any money in the new music business so use it for branding.

If you can't make any money in the New Music Business, maybe you can be successful at selling a book on how to be successful at the New Music Business even if you weren't.

Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

just follow da $
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,550
    Rep Power 536871028

If you can't make any money in the New Music Business, maybe you can be successful at selling a book on how to be successful at the New Music Business even if you weren't.

I've considered authoring "How Not To Succeed In The Music Business While Trying Really Hard"

still might. I'm an expert, after all!
    TAP TO MASTER
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 714
    Rep Power 536871044

I've considered authoring "How Not To Succeed In The Music Business While Trying Really Hard"

still might. I'm an expert, after all!
    By all means, please do! I'd love to read it and see how many of your tips I'm nailing already.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator "Mock Chicken" joke?...could be American.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 43
    Rep Power 536871038

Mixerman's response on Mixermania:

"Oh, Ari Herstand​ You really are a sucker.

First, Publishers are indeed stealing from their songwriters. And the effect of publishing companies winning the fight against Facebook will likely leave indie songwriters with nothing but scraps, just as the labels did for indie artist's looking for a fair Mechanical Royalty for streaming. But indie songwriters aren't the ones who generally have their songs covered. It's the songwriters with publishers whose songs tend to be covered. And as you pointed out, those songwriters have the ability to take their bad acting publishers to court.

That said, I concede that the major publishers haven't been good actors in this regard. The labels have been even worse.

But one of Ari's arguments in his numerous poorly conveyed articles, is that it was equally as wrong for the music industry to go after individuals for copyright infringement in the early aughts as it is now for UMG to issue DMCA takedown notices to a corporation 11 times its size. All because of the poor little Yutes, who just want to share their interpretations of famous songs for the world.

The general public may be ignorant of the law where copyright infringement is concerned, but that doesn't mean we should just give up and let a company that brought in 17 billion last year to profit off the backs of songwriters and publishers.

Now, I don't disagree that it was a mistake to go after individuals for Copyright infringement, but that's not what UMG is currently doing. They are going after Facebook, who is refusing to negotiate a blanket license with them for access to any and all music in their catalog. They have a responsibility to their songwriters to do that, and if they decide not to share monies from a blanket license agreement in the future, the songwriters have legal recourse with their publishers. Songwriters have little-to-no legal recourse against social media sites hiding behind the DMCA.

Then, somehow, Ari suggests that Taylor Swift--a superstar who could break a record just by tweeting about it--is somehow in the wrong for posting a clip of herself singing Kendrick Lamar’s song “Backseat Freestyle.”

Let's just set aside the fact that Ari is making a big assumption that Kendrick Lamar didn't give her permission. I mean, what would that take? A phone call?

Taylor: "Hey Kendrick, I'm going to post me up singing your song. cool?"
    Kendrick: "Hell yeah! My publisher will be so happy!"

But even if Kendrick or his publisher didn't overtly approve, they are certainly within their rights to issue a DMCA takedown to Facebook.

I might point out, that Taylor Swift didn't write the DMCA law that allows social media sites protection from infringement suits under the pretense that they can't possibly know when a user is posting an infringing video until they're made aware of it by the rights holder.

What makes Ari's entire argument laughable, is the fact that somehow a "cover" video of Taylor Swift singing a Kendrick Lamar song, is the equivalent of a 15 year-old unknown singer performing a cover of a Taylor Swift song. I'll tell you, if Taylor wants to perform one of my songs in a video (I'd love to hear her sing a rendition of "The Douchebag Song" from #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent), she can do so with impunity. I give her a blanket license to do that.

Does that make me hypocritical?

Not in the least. Because it's my copyright, and I can choose to exercise it or not how I see fit, and without concern of losing my copyright.

It's not a Trademark. It's a copyright. The trademark holder is required to defend and protect all instances of infringement in order to keep the Trademark.

Copyright is intrinsic, which makes it accessible protection for everyone. Not just large corporations. Which is why companies like Google and FB want to kill copyright. Because they can protect their intellectual property with Trademarks and Patent laws alone.

So, to Ari. No one is suggesting that the labels and the publishers aren't out for themselves. We all know this. But all of the music business companies, the publishers and the labels together, are tiny in comparison to Big Tech, and have no choice but to do anything they can to stay alive. Much of that was even their own fault. But if you think for a second that the new Big Tech would-be distribution overlord is going to be better for artists and songwriters than the labels and the publishers who control the back catalog, then you really are nothing more than a sucker.

Meet the new boss. Way worse than the old boss. Because the new boss is systematically infiltrating the government agencies with people who want to drown copyright in a bathtub. And if we don't stick together as an industry--bad actors and all--to somehow prevent that very real attempt from succeeding, then you can forget about writing books or songs as a way to make a living in the future.

Don't be a sucker.

Mixerman"
    Join Date Nov 2016
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 7

Very informative and helpful post thanks...
    Last edited by weedywet; November 4th, 2016 at 06:52 PM.