Thread: Don't Be Hypocrites, DMN

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,560
    Rep Power 2500000000

Enjoy Re: Don't Be Hypocrites, DMN

Apparently, Digital Music News, who is on the record for not believing in copyright, are proving this to be the case by allowing an ostensibly anonymous commenter (it's one of them), to put my response on their website in its entirety, and without permission.

This, of course, constitutes copyright infringement, and I have put Digital Music News on notice of this. Here is my email to support@digitalmusicnews.com

Digital Music News,

My name is Eric Sarafin aka Mixerman, and this is notification that you are infringing upon my copyright.

There is currently an article on Digital Music News that can be found here: http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016...ift-break-law/

In the comments section of that article, an anonymous poster going by the handle “Anon and On” has posted up a copy of my response, which I posted both on my website (http://mixerman.net/dont-be-a-sucker-ari/) and on Facebook. You are currently infringing upon my copyright, and I must insist that you take down my work from your site immediately. I have put the body of the infringing content at the bottom of this email for purposes of absolute clarity.
    So that you can be sure that I have the authority to make such a request, here is the statute governing notice of infringement:

(e) False Representation. — Any person who knowingly makes a false representation of a material fact in the application for copyright registration provided for by section 409, or in any written statement filed in connection with the application, shall be fined not more than $2,500.

I certify under penalty of perjury, that the above information is true, that I am the author of the work in questions, and that you are indeed infringing on my copyright.

I have no problem with direct links to my content. I have no problem with reasonably sized quotations that constitute Fair Use. I have no problem with you displaying comments that I personally make on your website, as none of these would constitute infringement.

I do have a problem with the posting of my work in its entirety on your site, thereby allowing readers to completely bypass my website and Facebook Group. That would be the very definition of copyright infringement, and as a website that exists wholly due to the protections that copyright affords, it would behoove you to respect the copyright of others.

Please be aware, if you do not remove the infringing work from your website in 24 hours, I will file a DMCA takedown notice with your ISP, which will result in an immediate takedown of your entire article and the resultant comments.

Below is the body of the infringing text.

Eric Sarafin aka Mixerman

I will be sure to tell you what happens next.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,785
    Rep Power 536871398

Default Re: Don't Be Hypocrites, DMN

Apparently, Digital Music News, who is on the record for not believing in copyright, are proving this to be the case by allowing an ostensibly anonymous commenter (it's one of them), to put my response on their website in its entirety, and without permission.

This, of course, constitutes copyright infringement, and I have put Digital Music News on notice of this. Here is my email to support@digitalmusicnews.com

I will be sure to tell you what happens next.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

YEE-HAH!
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????