Thread: Mix Feedback

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Jun 2016
    Location London
    Posts 7
    Rep Power 13

Default Mix Feedback

Hi guys. Relatively new to the Forum and was told this is the place to share a mix. If anyone has a moment it would be great to hear your thoughts. The track is called Lady Annie, by a band called Future Sound Cartel. UK / South London based. Link below:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djMZxsYOrUg
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can give it a blast.
    J
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870984

Default Re: Mix Feedback

I'm listening on terrible desktop speakers, firstly.

I like the song, and the arrangement.

I wonder if the distortion on the drums is leaving the snare lacking slightly in punch, whereas the crash cymbal hits are coming through nice and strong.

Maybe the distortion on everything, while I totally get it's a stylistic choice, is leaving things quite busy in the upper mids - totally guessing here, 4k...? To give you an idea what I'm on about, listen to the vocal at the start as it goes into the little break at 0:17 slightly competing with the guitar sound that spools up there, then at 0:26 you've got the guitar, snare, vocal that kinda all feel like they're living in the same space.

Vocal sounds a little overemphasised on the S's T's and B's. Don't know if that's a brightness thing or a compression/ transient thing thing. Again I feel like that means the vocals and cymbals end up living in a similar space.

I love the way the bass is coming through on these small speakers, feels like you've got the midrange just right there. Love that moment at 1:36 too!

Can't really tell what the kick is doing at all on these speakers, but I have to admit that's not really bothering me. I guess I'm happy to believe it's there, and the arrangement isn't making me miss it.
    Join Date Jun 2016
    Location London
    Posts 7
    Rep Power 13

I'm listening on terrible desktop speakers, firstly.

I like the song, and the arrangement.

I wonder if the distortion on the drums is leaving the snare lacking slightly in punch, whereas the crash cymbal hits are coming through nice and strong.

Maybe the distortion on everything, while I totally get it's a stylistic choice, is leaving things quite busy in the upper mids - totally guessing here, 4k...? To give you an idea what I'm on about, listen to the vocal at the start as it goes into the little break at 0:17 slightly competing with the guitar sound that spools up there, then at 0:26 you've got the guitar, snare, vocal that kinda all feel like they're living in the same space.

Vocal sounds a little overemphasised on the S's T's and B's. Don't know if that's a brightness thing or a compression/ transient thing thing. Again I feel like that means the vocals and cymbals end up living in a similar space.

I love the way the bass is coming through on these small speakers, feels like you've got the midrange just right there. Love that moment at 1:36 too!

Can't really tell what the kick is doing at all on these speakers, but I have to admit that's not really bothering me. I guess I'm happy to believe it's there, and the arrangement isn't making me miss it.
    Hey Cirrus. Thank you for taking time out of your day to listen and for your feedback which I enjoyed reading. Super detailed and the things you've picked up on resonate. Happy to repay the favour if you have anything you'd like to share now or another time. Cheers, Jollyon
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 961
    Rep Power 536870991

I'm no engineer, and I listened on headphones, but for what it's worth:

The sounds and energy are great, they all sound like good recordings. The only things that were a problem for me was blooming bass and the vocals being masked (as cirrus said). The bass problems could well be heightened by headphones, but it's not a problem I have with other commercial releases.

Fun track though, I enjoyed it
    Join Date Jun 2016
    Location London
    Posts 7
    Rep Power 13

I'm no engineer, and I listened on headphones, but for what it's worth:

The sounds and energy are great, they all sound like good recordings. The only things that were a problem for me was blooming bass and the vocals being masked (as cirrus said). The bass problems could well be heightened by headphones, but it's not a problem I have with other commercial releases.

Fun track though, I enjoyed it
    Cheers for checking out the mix and for your feedback Rev. Juda$ Sleaze Enjoyed listening to your Soundcloud as well. Seven Psychobillies is cool. Have a good one. J
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 961
    Rep Power 536870991

Cheers for checking out the mix and for your feedback Rev. Juda$ Sleaze Enjoyed listening to your Soundcloud as well. Seven Psychobillies is cool. Have a good one. J
    Thanks!
    From New Jersey...and admits it! Familiar with term 'Court appointed attorney'
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 791
    Rep Power 184549528

While I do like the filtered/distorted sound of the mix, and I think it fits the style well and has a nice vibe, I kind of feel like I wanted it to sound a little "fuller", for lack of a better word. I'm not sure if this is what you're doing, but to me it sounds like there is a lot of high pass filtering going on, a little much for my taste. Other than that, nice job.
    President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 925
    Rep Power 536870969

I really enjoy this style of music so it resonated with me pretty easily. I will agree with unitymusic on the low end. The kick was okay, it seemed full and present, but I couldn't feel the groove in the bass line...if that makes any sense. It's there, it's just feels a little neutered.

But all in all, a cool jam in my opinion.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________