Thread: Leon Russel, RIP

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,632
    Rep Power 536871428

Default Leon Russel, RIP

LR's death hits me harder than most, even though I was sort of expecting it based on the fact that his contemporaries have been dropping like flies.

I totally wore out a copy of "Joe Cocker/ Mad dogs and Englishmen" trying to learn some of his riffs on piano as a kid.

I think he played on about half the hits of the 20th century.

I don't put much stock in the Rock & Roll hall of fame but if you want to see a moving tribute, check out his induction with Elton John.
    Jonathan "nobby" Boose
    Ambidextrous Onanist Reads Playboy for the articles
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Silvan
    Posts 1,038
    Rep Power 536871055

Default Re: Leon Russel, RIP

Roll away the stone..
    "Hate is the Jalapeņo of emotion, a little goes a long way".... Slipperman
    Hominem Iniocosum Non Diffidite
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,785
    Rep Power 536871398

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,558
    Rep Power 536871031

Ouch.

I was fortunate enough to open for him 3 times as a member of different groups. I never got to speak with him but his band was incredibly nice and I remember we had a broken amp and their guitar player was nice enough to let us use his... I don't remember what it was but it was nice and there was no hesitation on their part. Leon would just sort of ride around in his scooter until it was time to play, and he'd sort of hobble up there and then he just came alive behind the keys. I remember how big his keyboard rig was and having to set up around and behind it - but that's what you do when it's Leon Russell. He was a huge influence on me and people around me. Magic Mirror is still one of my favorite songs ever written. I can't believe he was only 74. He seemed to play on everything.
    TAP TO MASTER