Thread: Any chance you could cast your ears on this?

Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870987

Default Any chance you could cast your ears on this?

Mixed last night, there's a couple of things I want to change/ don't think are sitting right but I won't say what they are because I'd appreciate any fresh perspective I could get. 44.1/16 wav, it does have a couple of dB's worth of limiting on it, nothing major...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtJ-YZTmXs48k3e8fCZUVg0ac475
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870974

Default Re: Any chance you could cast your ears on this?

My usual disclaimer ... I suck at more than I'm good at, listening to me could be bad for your health and yada-yada.

I like the drums. I'd be happy to get that myself. The tone/sound of everything is pretty nice to me as well. Most of what I notice is when things start to build up, it gets crowded felling and the vocal gets harder for me to focus on.
    I think it's the guitars on the right and left, they come in pretty hot. At 1:08ish is where I feel that. There's another example at 1:55ish. They sound good and it sound appropriate for the arrangement, it's just a little loud maybe?

It could also be a matter of space the vocal is sitting in. It could be fighting the guitars for that frequency range. At 4:45ish there's a similar build for a short guitar solo and the guitar seems to hold it's own.

In the softer sections the vocal sits nicely and sounds very good.

Hope that's of some use.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

After a quick listen, I'm going to respectfully disagree with Reno here.

I didn't mind how the vocal was sitting, and the parts where the guitars get a little loud I feel like help provide some 'movement', so that didn't bother me either. But you shouldn't listen to me too much either

One thing I was thinking was in the beginning when it's just bass and drums, I wouldn't mind if the bass was a little louder and the drums not quite as loud, but overall I enjoyed it.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870974

I stand by what I said.
    unity is obviously off his rocker...

-r
    Sign Here

Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870987

Name:  cfa4acb9062fe33f8911162a1e0c5767.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  54.8 KB

Thanks both. I can see your point RenoPowers, I think the vocal does kind of end up in the same range as the guitar arpeggios. And, in an attempt to "embiggen" the vocal in the choruses it actually has loads of reverb which again crowd the lower mids. I wonder if changing that long plate reverb to sit somewhere a little higher would open it out a bit while still doing the job.

Listening in my car, some of the upper mids, say 3k-ish? are a bit ringy on the arpeggios and the vocal, I know that's something my mastering guy has mentioned before in other projects I've done. Does any of that sound harsh to you on your system? What I don't want to do is eq it out to the point of it sounding flat. Also, two points on compression - the drums are being compressed quite a lot by my usual standard; parallel compression then more compression on the blend, does the snare pop ok to you?

Finally, the mix bus compression. I'm using Ik Multimedia's SSL clone vst, which I like generally but I feel like by the time I'm getting where I want to sit (3-4dB GR) the mix sounds a bit narrowed. So I switched it into Mid/Side mode and that really felt like the mix opened out. Does it sound ok? Have I done something insane?

Thanks again both for listening and commented, I really do appreciate it

Josh
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870974

So I don't mean to project too much of what I hear in this song on your. It's your jam and you should do what you like with it. But for me ... I immediately related it to Everybody Wants to Rule the World. There were a lot of similarities I heard in the parts.

I was doing some direct comparisons between those just now and I can hear some harshness in yours by comparison. But yours isn't so bad that it actually bothered me.

The snare is a matter of taste on this one. I tend to like the fatter country soundign snare than the crack of the rock snare. But in this song, you could completely go with a big crack and it would be fine. I personally like the fatter whomp you've got going now.

I hate to speak to the compression thing. I'm afraid I don't have a good enough ear yet to tell when compression is causing some of the things I hear as balance and eq problems.
    I don't hear things like pumping or weird artificts like that. It seems like the dynamic range is pretty well represented. But take all that with a grain of salt.

What I noticed more is the clarity/distinction between all the parts. It's easy to pick out each part in the TFF song. Yours gets less distinct when those guitars come in. Maybe it's the verb on the vocal, but to me it has more to do with what those guitars do to the whole mix. I don't have much advice on how I'd go about figuring that out ... sorry. I'd wind up just whacking away at EQ probably. My goal would be to try and clear up the rhythm guitar to take up less of the frequency range? Make it sit somewhere more distinctly rather than spanning so much area?

Sorry I'm not able to articulate it any better than that. This is where it would be really nice to have someone who actually knows what the hell they are talking about put some actual definitions to my babbling. Or even getting to sit with you and turn some knobs woudl be good. These are the downsides of internetin' I guess.

Also... I'm in no way saying this is bad. I'd be real damn happy if I got to this point on my own. I just hear a subtle differnce between your song and a known song that I consider a good reference point.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

So, like Reno I'm gonna preface this with "I couldn't do any better".

First off, the energy of all the parts is immense, and it sounds awesome. Not of a genre that I would often listen to, but the performances are captivating. So you've already got the hard part in the bag.

On cheapish cans, the low mid buildup is a bit distracting. Everything sounds pretty scooped, so there is a lot of fighting for the lower and upper part of the spectrum in particular. The guitars are a bit harsh in the "presence knob" range too.

I think if you trim back the low mids of some parts, and bring back the upper mids of others, as well as dial back some harshness on the guitars, you'll be golden.