Thread: Indie Vinyl

Surfing the net at work every day! Throws like a girl
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Milwaukee, WI
    Posts 323
    Rep Power 402653371

Default Indie Vinyl

Curious if anyone here has worked on an indie project that went to vinyl. Specifically, I am looking for information about your experience with the company and also the costs to do short runs.

Gotta Groove was recommended. Would love to find someone who has worked with them.
    jdier - home recordist
    my band is R. Mutt
    some Live Videos from shows I have been to
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

Default Re: Indie Vinyl

This is the first I've heard of Gotta Groove. But they've only been around since 2009.

I stumbled across this; the best article I've read about vinyl in a while:

http://pitchfork.com/features/articl...nyls-comeback/

Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Milwaukee, WI
    Posts 323
    Rep Power 402653371

I wound up speaking with Matt from Gotta Groove. Could not be easier guys to deal with... Seems their primary concerns are "Are you using a real mastering engineer" and "Has he mastered to vinyl in the past"

Anyway, they seem like a great outfit and we will likely work with them as they are right within our budget.

If anyone is interested, their pricing is all right on the site there.
    jdier - home recordist
    my band is R. Mutt
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

If you haven't found a guy to master to vynil, there's a place in Toronto that does . laquer channel mastering. I'm sure there's other places also, but that's the only place around here that I know of. They also cut vynil.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

Gotta Groove has done well by several of my mastering clients.

My first choice has been Noiseland who transfer to lacquer in Germany and manufacture in France however I've been told their price has gone through the roof.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Milwaukee, WI
    Posts 323
    Rep Power 402653371

Quick question... Gotta Groove offers "test cuts" as an alternative to having an acutal acetate. They cut portions of each song into an acetate, then record them and send an email file as our initial check.

"Test cuts consist of portions of your submitted masters being cut into an actual lacquer, and then played on a turntable and recorded into wav files for easy transfer via email."

I think this is the path we are going to go as it provides a decent savings.

Anyone have thoughts?
    jdier - home recordist
    my band is R. Mutt
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

I hadn't heard of that approach before but I think it beats just sending a test pressing like many do and it gets around not knowing how good the client's playback system is.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Sounds interesting. Other than the needle noise and riaa curve, is that any different than just having your songs 'mastered for vynil' and just sent back to you, though?

Interesting article, also. I wonder if black was the only color option, would the back log issues go away? 6 months is quite the lengthy turn around.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

It probably saves them the expense of as many blanks, saves time and saves going back and forth with people who are judging from sub-par vinyl playback systems.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

“You used to be able to turn over a record in four weeks,” says John Beeler, project manager at Asthmatic Kitty, the label home of Sufjan Stevens. “But I’m now telling my artists that we need at least three months from the time they turn it in to the time we get it back.”
    Not sure where you got the 6 month turnaround from. That article is from 2014 and I'm not sure if production has been catching up with supply but Gotta Groove has posted much quicer turnarounds.

Assuming they regularly update the page, since it would be quite misleading not to.

12″ standard weight – orders placed today will probably be on press early February depending upon qty and color(s). *
    12″ 180 gram – orders placed today will probably be on press early February depending upon qty and color(s). *
    7″ — orders placed today will probably be on press early February depending upon qty and color(s).

http://www.gottagrooverecords.com/re...date-planning/

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

Turn around depends on when you order. The two floods are Christmas and record store day. Right now is too late for Christmas and too early for RSD which is in April. As far as I know production is not catching up because there isn't enough financial incentive for investment in new presses.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Must have read wrong. Thought there was somewhere in the article that mentioned 6 months. My bad.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

I've heard 6 months at times.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

As far as I know production is not catching up because there isn't enough financial incentive for investment in new presses.
    I took a serious look at this a year/year and a half ago. It seems the demand is there, to the point that you can reasonably quickly recover your investment. But the start up cost were steep. It was just short of 1m in equipment alone. I think I'd figured around a 1.8 to 2m initial investment. Based on some loose numbers that I had at the time, you could aggressively recover that in about 5 years, more comfortably in 7 to 10. Seems doable, just in a league that stretched beyond what I could reach at the time...and still now I suppose.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

One of the biggest expenses is plating equipment that can meet EPA requirements. You have to compete with people who are grandfathered into using far less expensive hear.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,778
    Rep Power 536871398

One of the biggest expenses is plating equipment that can meet EPA requirements. You have to compete with people who are grandfathered into using far less expensive hear.

Mexico?
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Not that I like it, but given what the incoming administration looks like ... some of those restrictions may loosen come January.
    I've asked some of my executive level friends at Carrier for some advice on how to best keep my jobs here in America.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

Yours is going to India.

I haven't shopped around lately but Gotta Groove's prices don't seem out of the ordinary. You have to add whatever options you want and compare. Seems like a solid company though.

AFAIK the reason for not going with United is that they don't want your business. They have relationships/ obligations with longstanding customers. Third man is mostly for Jack White & co. So it's good too see new companies crop up.

The main obstacle to doing short runs is setup time. It doesn't pay to do small batches.

There are new presses being made (see links below). Maintenance must be a bitch on the half-century old machines.

http://www.viryltech.com/#equipment

http://newbilt.com/

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

If you haven't found a guy to master to vynil,
    Bob Olhsson has to be one of the best Mastering Engineers in the world for vinyl.

I thought everybody knew that

Bob's room 615 562-4346

Greedle
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,509
    Rep Power 536871085

I have this little vanity project going, man it would be neat to release it on vinyl.
    Expensive, but neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a fan of cheese!