Thread: Indie Vinyl

Astrological sign is "Feces"! Prefers rhythm cowbell to lead
    Join Date Apr 2009
    Location 36-9'56"n/86-47'3"w
    Posts 384
    Rep Power 536871023

Default Re: Indie Vinyl

(Nobby) ..There are new presses being made (see links below). Maintenance must be a bitch on the half-century old machines...

The first job out of college took advantage of skulking around my granddad's foundry/machine shop.... rebuilding plastic extrusion machinery and any old machinery generally is cheaper to rebuild and bring it up to modern standards. Sadly, except for the controllers very little will have changed.
    Rednecks call me a Tree Hugger and Tree Huggers call me a Redneck...I must be doing something right to piss everyone off.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,612
    Rep Power 536871427

(Nobby) ..There are new presses being made (see links below). Maintenance must be a bitch on the half-century old machines...

The first job out of college took advantage of skulking around my granddad's foundry/machine shop.... rebuilding plastic extrusion machinery and any old machinery generally is cheaper to rebuild and bring it up to modern standards.

Even if you're a machinist and have a milling machine, lathe, etc., making replacement parts has to be way more difficult and time consuming than ordering parts from a company that still exists.

Sadly, except for the controllers very little will have changed.

True. But any kind of good deal someone gets on old machinery has to be weighed against downtime, a major consideration if the plant is working at or above capacity.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870972

I've put away all my notes and can't remember the name of the guy I was talking too... but he'd basically built everything that United had/has. Also did Memphis Records(name might not be right).
    He was doing a hybrid of using some core parts, but mostly scratch making new parts. He was adding upgraded electrical/automation components. For him to make any money off it, it was over 3/4 million dollar order.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,139
    Rep Power 536871377

United bought all of the gear from Universal's last vinyl plant. Part of the deal was that Universal would have priority on pressing orders.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870972

Well hell. I looked for my notes from my calls with him and I can't find them.

I think wrote that poorly, Bob. I didn't mean that he actually built the presses for United. He was the one or probably part of a group of some that installed and maintained them some time. He apparently set up to some degree a couple of other pressing plants using those same kinds of machines.

When I last talked to him he was building basically a remake of the press he started on at Universal. It was an american made press, but again I can't remember what that was. As little detail as I can provide, I don't know why I'm continuing on with it... I'm generating more random babble than anything interesting. haha. I did google the name of the place in Memphis ... Memphis Record Pressing.
    It seems like a small enough world that I could probably run him down again if I had to.

I saw a video on Welcome To 1979 Studio recently. They are set up to do everthing from record, master, cut and press.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,775
    Rep Power 536871397

Even if you're a machinist and have a milling machine, lathe, etc., making replacement parts has to be way more difficult and time consuming than ordering parts from a company that still exists.

True. But any kind of good deal someone gets on old machinery has to be weighed against downtime, a major consideration if the plant is working at or above capacity.
    Not necessarily. Especially the time part.

FWIW I wouldn't really call myself a real machinist but I do own 2-1/2 lathes (one is a parts machine) and kinda know how to use them. They're not set up right now but when they were I could construct a part in a few hours (including several fuckups and false starts) that would take days to order on the internet - sometimes weeks. (And would take a REAL machinist maybe 15 -30 minutes.). If I wasn't really broke right now I'd be looking at a milling machine (which I've wanted for years.) I've done some "hillbilly milling" with my drill press.

If you can afford a CNC rig, which is NOT that expensive these days and have a little facility with a program like AutoCAD ( which I really don't) The "time consuming" bit goes away too, to a significant extent.

To do parts for record presses it would take larger machines than the ones I have, but the principles are the same and I've seen the tools for dirt cheap in surplus yards in East Oakland.

(My late Uncle Ralph was a machine shop foreman at the Western Electric plant in Chicago.) (RIP Ralph, you are sorely missed...)

My perception is that there are a hell of a lot of master machinists out of work in the good ole USA these days.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Apr 2009
    Posts 384
    Rep Power 536871023

John's right about it being quicker and mostly cheaper than ordering a 'new' part. A Record press is really a simple machine. Try totally rebuilding, rewiring, re-plumbing an extrusion machine 25' x 25' x 40' with 3 different hydraulic pressure systems and 5 different electrical voltage systems and designing solid state controllers you added. Not to mention having to machine a number of new parts. Record press?? easy peesy
    PS I did the above for years
    Rednecks call me a Tree Hugger and Tree Huggers call me a Redneck...I must be doing something right to piss everyone off.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,612
    Rep Power 536871427

I'm thinking that the person who is running the company might not be a machinist. There might be other things to do besides service old machinery.

If you have (5) 40 year old presses you probably also have to have at least one more full time employee who is a machinist, probably with background in fabrication and welding as well, and probably an electrician with experience in troubleshooting motor controls and hydraulics. And you can probably count on only having 4 units working at any given time and would plan orders accordingly.

I guess if you get a good enough deal on the machinery it's worth it.

If you're Jack White, you just buy the new machines.

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Apr 2009
    Posts 384
    Rep Power 536871023

As a rule I found that most of the small manufacturers owners were actually very handy when it came to the machinery. That was also a different era.
    But if you had 5 machines and they were refurbished there is absolutely no reason other than idiocy not to have all 5 running. I personally would fire anyone keeping my production capabilities down to 80% or less.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,775
    Rep Power 536871397

As a rule I found that most of the small manufacturers owners were actually very handy when it came to the machinery. That was also a different era.
    But if you had 5 machines and they were refurbished there is absolutely no reason other than idiocy not to have all 5 running. I personally would fire anyone keeping my production capabilities down to 80% or less.

It's the same mentality that has damaged the professional studios. It used to be that every studio worthy of the name had an in-house electronic maintenance facility and staff. Now, very few do.

And yes, a lot of the people getting into vinyl pressing now don't have the background required to properly operate a facility - but it's sooo trendy!

The sad thing is that there are qualified people in the USA who can't find work because the jobs have been shipped overseas.

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,139
    Rep Power 536871377

United has their original presses that were made in Nashville and the ones they bought from Universal that were shipped here. Somebody had to put them together which is probably what this person did.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,612
    Rep Power 536871427

It's the same mentality that has damaged the professional studios. It used to be that every studio worthy of the name had an in-house electronic maintenance facility and staff. Now, very few do.
    Everything was analog. Also the record business was thriving and there were more big studios.
    And yes, a lot of the people getting into vinyl pressing now don't have the background required to properly operate a facility - but it's sooo trendy!
    There are only so many places you can put vinyards

Greedle
    Surfing the net at work every day! Throws like a girl
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Milwaukee, WI
    Posts 323
    Rep Power 402653370

Hey all, just to wrap up my part of this story, Gotta Groove was absolutely great to work with.

We chose "fastest" for color on the vinyl and wound up with a variety of colors with swirls and all types of great looking records.

In addition, mix by Chet Lyster wound up being great and the vinyl mastering that Trevor Sadler did on the project was excellent too.

The test cuts sounded almost exactly like the test pressings which sounded identical to the production disks.

If anyone is considering them, count this as an enthusiastic recommendation.
    jdier - home recordist
    my band is R. Mutt
    some Live Videos from shows I have been to
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,775
    Rep Power 536871397

Hey all, just to wrap up my part of this story, Gotta Groove was absolutely great to work with.

We chose "fastest" for color on the vinyl and wound up with a variety of colors with swirls and all types of great looking records.

In addition, mix by Chet Lyster wound up being great and the vinyl mastering that Trevor Sadler did on the project was excellent too.

The test cuts sounded almost exactly like the test pressings which sounded identical to the production disks.

If anyone is considering them, count this as an enthusiastic recommendation.

Thanks for the info!

How long was the turnaround?

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549529

Thanks for the info!

How long was the turnaround?
    I'm interested in this too, but also, what was the total "all in" cost? Not counting recording/mixing, just for the vinyl/mastering/prep. Did you do 1000, or more/less?
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Milwaukee, WI
    Posts 323
    Rep Power 402653370

It was quick. We went back and remastered after our mastering engineer heard the WAV test cuts, so that added some time.

Take that step out and they were about 4.5 weeks (originally quoted 5-6 weeks)
    jdier - home recordist
    my band is R. Mutt
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Milwaukee, WI
    Posts 323
    Rep Power 402653370

Just south of $2,300 including all test pressings and shipping from Cleveland to Milwaukee for 300 records packed full color single pocket sleeves with black/white insert.
    jdier - home recordist
    my band is R. Mutt