Thread: Black Friday weekend plugins

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

Default Black Friday weekend plugins

Waves Abbey Road Plates is a no-brainer for $79 if you don't already have it, innit?

Although I guess most of you using DAWs are already either using that or the UAD or both if you're using a plate plugin.

I'm pretty stoked
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

Default Re: Black Friday weekend plugins

Meh. Valhalla Plate is far more flexible, and $50 any time of year
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

4 different plates with different transducers and variables and you can't get what you want?

Whatever. It's more about the sound quality to me. If the Valhalla sounds like a real plate, cool. Not familiar with it. Other reverb plugins I've tried had plate presets but the sound didn't really cut it.

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

4 different plates with different transducers and variables and you can't get what you want?

Whatever. It's more about the sound quality to me. If the Valhalla sounds like a real plate, cool. Not familiar with it. Other reverb plugins I've tried had plate presets but the sound didn't really cut it.
    Depends what you want really. I wasn't poo-pooing the Waves plugin, just saying that there are alternatives to Waves and UAD.

When I said flexible, I meant that it does everything from sounding like a plate to sounding like crazy impossible plates.

I agree with you about most presets in many reverbs. I think they generally emulate digital hardware plate presets rather than actual plate reverbs.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,070
    Rep Power 536871210

Soundtoys are giving away their Tremolator plugin for free.

Go here: https://www.soundtoys.com/product/tremolator/

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

Depends what you want really. I wasn't poo-pooing the Waves plugin, just saying that there are alternatives to Waves and UAD.

When I said flexible, I meant that it does everything from sounding like a plate to sounding like crazy impossible plates.
    Good to know. For what I usually do, I have enough crazy/impossible and not enough authentic-sounding... maybe until now.

It's all about the smile it puts on your face
    I agree with you about most presets in many reverbs. I think they generally emulate digital hardware plate presets rather than actual plate reverbs.
    That never occurred to me because... emulating an emulation?

Should I have a paleontologist dust off my DSP128

Soundtoys are giving away their Tremolator plugin for free.

Go here: https://www.soundtoys.com/product/tremolator/

Cheers,
    Tim
    Thanks for the heads up, Tim.

Greedle
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

It's all about the smile it puts on your face
    I'll drink to that!

That never occurred to me because... emulating an emulation?
    At a guess I'd say that's because they are using similar DSP algorithms, rather than trying to physically model a plate.

Should I have a paleontologist dust off my DSP128
    Yes

For the fakers out there, Toontrack, Pianoteq and Arturia all have deals on, as do Soundtoys.

Waves are giving away SuperTap for free, which is a pretty handy multi-tap delay with a very non-cryptic GUI, unlike many other multi-tap delays.

Disappointed the Softube Trident EQ wasn't under 100 quid this year. Ah well, I'll keep my eye on it.
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870987

Despite my best efforts to avoid the frenzied orgy of Black Friday, I did pick up a smattering of things over the weekend - my philosophy is that I only consider things I actually already wanted but couldn't quite justify or hadn't got round to getting yet.

Waves DBX160 at $39 felt like a no brainer. Almost didn't get it as I already have SKnote's 165a emulation but I'm glad I did - tried it on a mix this weekend on a kick/snare/bass bus and it's got fantastic attack/ punch.

Also installed the multitap delay, seems like a nice wee tool.

Kush have 25% off their pair of transformer plugs, which puts then after currency conversion at a tasty 18 each. So far I prefer the API version to the Neve, but again, used them both on a mix yesterday and I'm really impressed with how they sound.

Soundtoys - Got the free Tremulator, not explored it in depth but it was interesting going through the different wave shapes. Actually didn't know there was so much *to* trem. While I was there I also got round to activating the Sie-Q I got free in the introductory offer a few months back, I like that. My upgrade price to Soundtoys 5 is $185 which is sorely tempting, and presenting me with a real dilemma because having just got married a month ago, I don't actually *have* $185. *weeps*

IK Multimedia - Got the mastering EQ 432 in their strange Italian "this isn't a Black Friday sale and the incredible deal actually ends the week before" sale. Bloody hell, I'm dead impressed with this one. Best plugin EQ I've heard, no hyperbole. I actually really, really like a lot of the IK plugs from the last few years - Neve Eq's, SSL channel strip and bus compressor, La2A and 1176.

The one I want now is the Neve 33609 emu - tried the demo on drum bus and I feel like it'll be a useful tool.
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870987

Meh. Valhalla Plate is far more flexible, and $50 any time of year
    I do like Val Plate a lot, though sometimes I just can't get longer decay settings it to sit right and end up using Room's plate presets. my favourite Plate setting is decay on about 0.6s, band pass at say 500hz-5k mix depending, slightly beyond 100% L/R and stick it on anything you want to make a bit more lively.

Would be interesting to see what Waves' plate excels at.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

I do like Val Plate a lot, though sometimes I just can't get longer decay settings it to sit right and end up using Room's plate presets. my favourite Plate setting is decay on about 0.6s, band pass at say 500hz-5k mix depending, slightly beyond 100% L/R and stick it on anything you want to make a bit more lively.

Would be interesting to see what Waves' plate excels at.
    Yeah, it's easy to build up overpowering resonances in the midrange. The stereo-ness of some of the "fantasy metal" plates and their responses is part of the versatility of the Valhalla plugin. True stereo isn't possible on a single real plate, AFAIK.

Thanks for the heads-up on Kush. I grabbed the "A" model transformer plugin and it's a really nice fattener/distortion.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

I am looking at PhoenixVerb from Exponential Audio. It's $49 until December 9th.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,070
    Rep Power 536871210

I am looking at PhoenixVerb from Exponential Audio. It's $49 until December 9th.
    Don't think...just grab it.

It is a very good reverb indeed.

Highly recommended.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

is, dammit

giving away SuperTap for free, which is a pretty handy multi-tap delay with a very non-cryptic GUI, unlike many other multi-tap delays.
    Thanks for the tip. Supposedly a link will be emailed within the hour even though it's a "cyber monday" sale and it's been Tuesday here for 12 hours.
    Disappointed the Softube Trident EQ wasn't under 100 quid this year. Ah well, I'll keep my eye on it.
    Too bad. I got it cheap last year and have been using it ever since.

Greedle
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

Wave is

Waves are

Plural, innit
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,558
    Rep Power 536871031

I thought it was finally over, and I could go back to my email, which is currently filled with dozens of Black Friday Super Deals.

I told myself NO, no no no. Not until I takefull advantage of the stuff I've already got.

And now everyone's extending their sales. Arrrgghhhhh. I just keep repeating "plugins will not make better music". But the siren song of the Black Friday Sale is strong.

The Trident EQ is nice.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

Wave is

Waves are

Plural, innit
    Waves are crashing on the shore.

The company, Waves, is singular.

But it depends on usage. Like in a band name. If it already is plural, it's treated that way. Otherwise, the band is (whatever)

Greedle
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

Waves are crashing on the shore.

The company, Waves, is singular.

But it depends on usage. Like in a band name. If it already is plural, it's treated that way. Otherwise, the band is (whatever)
    Waves are a bunch of people. Valhalla is one guy.

How long till I drive you crazy?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

How long till I drive you crazy?
    You're a little late for that

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870987

Wasn't there a specific rule in the olden days about not picking people up on minor spelling/grammar errors, on the basis that a; English wasn't everyone's first language anyway and b; grammar conventions differ throughout the world?

Sorry, I mean 'thru'out the world...

It genuinely sounds weird to me to say "Waves is discounting lots of plugins today", just because 'Waves' is considered a singular entity. "Waves are discounting lots of plugins" flows much better, because we all know that "Waves" as an entity is just a theoretical construct, wheres "Waves" as a bunch of people pissing around in an office somewhere crazily raising and lowering prices from week to week are, well, a bunch of people.

And the band thing is surely nonsense. You have two groups of four people. One of them is called "The Beatles" (yes, two of the people smell a bit now...) and the other is called "Soundgarden".

Is the argument that you'd say "The Beatles are playing the old Dog and Duck this weekend" then in the next breath also say "Soundgarden is playing the old Dog and Duck this weekend"?

NO! SOUNDGARDEN *IS* COMPRISED OF FOUR PEOPLE WHO ****ARE**** PLAYING THE OLD DOG AND F*CK*NG DUCK!

I WILL FIGHT YOU, AMERICA. YOU WILL MOUNT A STRONG BUT FUTILE DEFENSE AGAINST ME, AND IT WILL FAIL BECAUSE YOU SPELLED DEFENCE WRONG AND I WILL RECLAIM FOR THE CROWN YOUR ENTIRE NATION.

*exhales*

Sorry...
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870987

Oh, I only just noticed the $30 off discount code at Waves. I would have used it on DBX160 and got it for $9 if I'd seen it earlier, but instead I got RenBass. Just out of curiosity, more than anything.