Thread: Anyone use Sound Better' to get online mix work?

Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Default Anyone use Sound Better' to get online mix work?

Just spent some time looking through this site. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't reply to adds until I discovered they charge either a monthly or yearly fee before you can reply.

I guess this is just a show of hands to see who's used it. I thought of it as another ' pay to work' scheme, but I guess they have to make money somehow.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,508
    Rep Power 536871085

Default Re: Anyone use Sound Better' to get online mix work?

Huh. Never heard of it. The internet is a big place.
    Curious now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,508
    Rep Power 536871085

I do use thumbtack. I've scored approximately one gig thru it (if I lived 45 minutes south of here it would probably be better, seems to be much more active in sc then here)
    But it's real cheap and so no skin off my back.
    It's more locally oriented, and not specific to music business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

I started poking around on the site. Don't have time to set up a proper profile at the moment, but I haven't run into anything that says where Sound Better takes there cut. Have you seen something that calls that out?

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

ah... I found the "upgrade options".

I don't know, man. On the surface it seems well organized and looks professional enough. It's maybe a step up from a Craig's List kind of thing. It made me think Angie's List. It does start sorting out people willing to invest in their business from people who aren't. I know folks here typically see value in that.
    ...that said, I've never paid to use Angie's List because I can find the services I need without paying.

I don't know if bands/musicians/producers have to pay to hire you off the site though. I'm betting there's some kind of "premium membership fee" to search their premium services providers.

I haven't seen anything that talks about the ratio of buyers to sellers either. If there are 10,000 "mix engineers" active and only 10 bands looking for someone to mix a song/album a year, then you'd be better off spending your money on loto tickets.
    I'd be interested in tracking that down before investing any cash.

I mean the simple answer to it is, do you think you'll make more from it than it cost, which looks to be $400 a year. Also, you might have to look at it in more than 1 year increments. It might take a couple years to establish a reputation on their site. Until that starts happening, you're just another random users to their search algorithms.

-r
    Sign Here

Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,666
    Rep Power 536871396

If you browse through the job "listings" though it becomes clear quickly that it's 99.8% "I have an idea for a song, so I need it mixed and mastered" kind of clueless amateurism
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

I suppose that doesn't preclude you from making some money. But it probably gives you a good idea of what you're time doing it will be like.

-r
    Sign Here

Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Yeah, seems similar to Craig list/kijiji as far as the type of adds posted, but just more of them. I think there might be 1, maybe 2 jobs posted a year by someone looking for music-related work through those sites.

I also wondered the same thing about the cost per year amount to actually reply to adds versus any money you might actually make in that time. I kinda found it odd that you couldn't even simply reply to adds without paying.

Looks like I'm sticking to my 1-2 jobs a year hobbyist business model for the foreseeable future.
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Real purdy mouth
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location the music room
    Posts 1,205
    Rep Power 536871081

I have been on SoudBetter for two years and have been a paid subscriber since they started that policy.

Bottom line is they're are a lot of tire kickers...probably upwards of 60% or more of the job seekers are just that, "tire kickers"

Your subscription only gets you ten proposal credits per month but you do get notified within ten minutes or so when a new job posting has been posted so you get access to those jobs before the non-subscribers...but be quick because they limit the number of proposals to five per job.

They have some questionable policies, i.e. no refunding credits under most circumstances or not notifying subscribers if a job has been submitted privately to a specific service provider which can result in you wasting a credit on a job you never had a chance of getting (that one has been my pet peeve for months)

I have made a fair amount of money (less their 4% fee and paypal's fees) but most of it now is coming from repeat clients. That said I still pay my monthly fee and still get one or two gigs making it worth my while to continue, but just barely
    wtf do I know...I hit mixes with sticks
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Thanks for the first hand info.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Dec 2016
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 9

I've been a standard member there for a while. I think it only makes sense as a premium provider, however i'm not sure if its worth it paying $39 per month compared to the jobs which are posted there. Most of them look pretty much like amateurs and only are one song jobs. Also their policies are a bit questionable.