Thread: Demo Studio?

Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Default Re: Demo Studio?

Pot calling the kettle black? If you think I'm being a hypocrite, back that up, or take it back.
    I'm not taking it back!! My accusation stands...albeit meritless...ly.
    Even after a couple of days I'm having a hard time putting my perspective changes into words, so I'll let them bake a little longer before trying. I add enough confusion when I think I know what I'm saying.
    But I was afraid you might be hanging by a thread, waiting on me to address your demand, so I had to reply with something.

It is, indeed, a mindset. It's all about doing the best you can with the resources you have.
    I would say this sums up how I think about it really well. I'm on board with that.
    This thread didn't outright go there, but it seems a persons intentions get overshadowed by questions of where they recorded, what gear they chose, essentially how much money they spent. I tend to disagree with the line of thinking when it seems like people are criticizing/questioning choices based on what they spent, not why. It's like you say you spent a million dollars, they'd ask why didn't you spend a million and one.

That where I'm coming from anyway. And I could be misunderstanding their point. Totally possible.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,624
    Rep Power 536871428

This thread didn't outright go there, but it seems a persons intentions get overshadowed by questions of where they recorded, what gear they chose, essentially how much money they spent.
    Not only did the thread not exactly go there, it didn't even go to that hemisphere AFAICT.

I tend to disagree with the line of thinking when it seems like people are criticizing/questioning choices based on what they spent, not why. It's like you say you spent a million dollars, they'd ask why didn't you spend a million and one.
    I think you have that backwards. Firstly, I didn't catch where anyone was "criticizing/questioning choices based on what they spent, not why." Maybe you could quote something specific that gave you that impression?

It always starts with 'why'. The OP states that this person is doing this "for fun". That dictates that, unless the person doing it for fun is rich, the budget is probably going to be low compared to that of anyone who is interested in music as a career.

I think I can illustrate that more clearly, but it will be a longer post than I have time for right now.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

I always try and stay in the mindset of "best that you can do", no matter what the circumstances. But usually in my experience, " for fun" always means for free.

There's some out there that think if they set the bar low enough, they don't need to pay anything for the end result. If you wanna try it out and get it the best you can, fork over a few hundred and get an interface. If thats too steep, everyone has an iPhone.

If the song is good, someone will be able to hear that. At that point, if you can't get it any better yourself, hire someone.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,624
    Rep Power 536871428

The question "What is demo quality" is like "how long is a piece of string?"

"Demo just means "demonstration record" in this case.

Reno, put on your parachute. We're going from quite high to very low.

Mid 1980s a producer made what would fit the definition of a demo (I can't remember if they called it one) of the band my brother was in at the time. They recorded a full album of songs IIRC including one that everyone in the band hated, but the producer owned the copyright to it and it had been a hit, like 20+ years prior.

There was no cheap recording gear back then that was any good and it was all done in a proper 24 track studio with an engineer and assistant engineer.

The producer spent a bare minimum of $40,000 fror recording and mixing (and tape, no catering that I recall) which according to an inflation calculator would be about $90,500 in today's dollars, not that that's remotely germane, since rates for recording have not followed inflation. I think that's about the budget a major label would have spent recording an album for a new act at the time.

Then another $60-80k, again in mid '80s dollars for the video.

The producer shopped it to the major labels. For whatever reason(s), the deal didn't go through. Maybe the producer made enough to write it off on his taxes, I don't know.

At the extreme other end of the scale, my cousin just went into a studio to make a demo.

This is the cheapest, most bare-bones setup, basically a rehearsal space with a handful of cheap Chinese mics, couple of cheap preamps, some auralex on the walls. Cover bands go there to record live off the floor for $35/hr to have a demo to shop around to small venues, restaurants, vinyards, etc.

Reno, I think you could do this if zoning isn't a problem. You could solicit work from local bands you see that you like.

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Where it got in the hemisphere of questioning the guys choices started around post 20... at least as I was hearing it. I'm open to being wrong there. Always am. Seemed like the idea of hiring someone off Sound Better wasn't to be taken serious, that it was the race to the bottom thing. To me... I could see a side of the argument for he was making the best of what options he had. Just a different take on what I thought was being said.

As for my efforts... zoning is, uh ... don't ask, don't tell.
    I'm in a nice little culdesac with good parking, some very chill neighbors. I'm the crazy looking bearded guy on the motorcycle (that's way louder than any band I have over), and who they look to for bands when we have block parties.

I go to a lot of live shows so I run into a lot of openers who do mostly covers, might have a couple of originals, they need a demo to shop for more live gigs. I'm an okay funded dilettante, which means usually willing to split some of the actual cost for an opportunity to stretch my legs with a band. Especially if I like what they are doing. (I like to think of myself as a benevolent philanthropist of the rock and role kind. Seems fancier on a business card.) But getting those kinds of guys nailed down on anything is like trying to nail jello to the wall. And it's for all the reasons you guys preach here. There's no real investment on their part which makes it too easy to flake out. And they do constantly. It's either that or the bass player just picked up an interface and that's what they're going to do their album with. Not that my place is impressive... but I have taken some care, spent some money (I don't just have a couple of Chinese mics, I have dozens!). And frankly I think I'd do a better job 9 times out of 10. But it is what it is. I still very much enjoy things that fall in my lap from time to time. And I don't get tired of learning this stuff. If I'd have had given this same amount of effort to my actual work ... crap, I'd be a lot better at my day job. haha.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,624
    Rep Power 536871428

Cool.

I was thinking, if you do it once in a while, no problem.

If you do it all the time, you may need to charge for it to keep the wife from complainin', among other things

Greedle
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Ditto over here. Recently had a session where the guitar player wasn't happy with how he played his leads. He mentioned how he might just do them at his place, which I replied 'sure, whatever youre comfortable with'. Now, I dont know if I got in his head or anything, but he was back here the following weekend.

I think once people see you kinda know what youre doing and it takes that weight off their shoulders, 'demo studio' or otherwise, my guess is you'll have business. It isn't easy going it alone