Thread: The Seekers Down Under

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,612
    Rep Power 536871427

Default The Seekers Down Under

I think this video was excerpted from the aforementioned documentary. This looks like a sound stage that was adapted as a recording studio for the film?

There are at least 3 versions of this: One starts with a click track or metronome setting the tempo which is turned of when they start playing.

Another one has the engineer announcing "take 11". This one it's "take 8". Both have Athol saying to the group, "Let's make this the one".

The lead vocal mic (AKG C-12?) would be side-address, but note the angle: about 30 degrees from perpendicular. I think that's to eliminate plosives w/o using a pop screen.

If I were the one who placed the stand so close to the edge of the stage, I'd have it nailed/ screwed down. I wouldn't want that mic to come out of my paycheck

Give the guitar players credit for being able to sing into the U-47 without hitting it with their guitars while maintaining proximity between their guitars and the guitar mics.

Folk music arrangement, no headphones or monitor req'd.

Recording to 1/4" tape, mono -- note that the right VU meter never moves.

Killer song, arrangement, band -- massive hit for the Seekers

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0229711/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Ambidextrous Onanist Thinks Quiet Riot was under-rated
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Silvan
    Posts 1,019
    Rep Power 536871053

Default Re: The Seekers Down Under

Ahhh, that's my childhood right there!
    My mum sang all this stuff, and wore the records out. I went to the same schools as Athol (a couple of decades later), and the Seekers performed a one off gig at my high school (without Judith) in 1978. I played in the school band before them, so technically that's a support gig, right?
    "Hate is the Jalapeņo of emotion, a little goes a long way".... Slipperman
    Hominem Iniocosum Non Diffidite
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,612
    Rep Power 536871427

The film would be interesting; It's supposedly mostly a sight seeing tour of Australia in 1967. Some details are in the movie link above.

The group briefly competed in popularity with the Beatles (I think), making Australia a major music capital and the film was said to be a huge boost for tourism.

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Silvan
    Posts 1,019
    Rep Power 536871053

Definitely up with the Beatles here for a while. Certainly around 66-68 they were the soundtrack of Melbourne. I think I was at that concert at the Myer Music Bowl in 67, but I have no memory of it ( I was 5).

What a voice has Judith.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,612
    Rep Power 536871427

Definitely up with the Beatles here for a while. Certainly around 66-68 they were the soundtrack of Melbourne. I think I was at that concert at the Myer Music Bowl in 67, but I have no memory of it ( I was 5).

What a voice has Judith.
    Yes, absolutely beautiful. And Melbourne was their hometown, apparently.

Here's another record your mother would have worn out. Another great Tom Springfield song (Jim Dale wrote the lyrics for this one)

Back in 1967, when The Seekers returned home to Australia for a visit, little did they know that their free concert at the Myer Music Bowl in their home town of Melbourne would break attendance records for the Southern hemisphere and TV ratings records for Australia

Greedle
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Silvan
    Posts 1,019
    Rep Power 536871053

Yes, absolutely beautiful. And Melbourne was their hometown, apparently.

Here's another record your mother would have worn out. Another great Tom Springfield song (Jim Dale wrote the lyrics for this one)

I have mixed memories of this one. Definitely one that my mum sang, and I remember that clearly, but I also remember at high school having to play cello to it in the orchestra. Everyone hated it! If only I'd played bass, I probably would have learned on the same instrument that Athol learned on ( I asked for tenor sax, they gave me a cello. But I'm not bitter!). Tom Springfield was a brilliant songwriter.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,066
    Rep Power 536871208

I engineered on a session that Keith produced here in Perth.

Very nice bloke.

They were certainly a big deal in Australia back in the day.

I remember getting my Mum to buy the sheet music to Morning Town Ride for me to play on piano.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871394

The lead vocal mic (AKG C-12?) would be side-address, but note the angle: about 30 degrees from perpendicular. I think that's to eliminate plosives w/o using a pop screen.

KM56 Neumann.
    and I suspect they positioned it like that to get a better camera shot at her... as the whole thing is clearly not really live.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,612
    Rep Power 536871427

The mic would be more out of the way of the camera if it were positioned vertically.

But, yeah, the song was a hit for 2 years before they shot that film, so...

Greedle