Thread: Listening position

President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 924
    Rep Power 536870969

Default Listening position

I've read/watch a lot about the triangle you want to set your monitors and listening position in, but would someone be able to explain what negative effects start to happen when you move your listening position close in to the monitors? That's to say you're monitors stay out wide, you just start moving in closer, without changing their angle or anything.

I hear the soundscape widen out a little more. More like what I hear when I put on headphones. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. But I also get better input on the low end. This could be that I don't have a good low end representation in the equilateral triangle set up??
    I'm fiddling around, listening to some albums today and noticing things.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert One of those things you've never really used.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Big rock candy mountains.
    Posts 1,073
    Rep Power 536871073

Default Re: Listening position

If you're hearing more bass as you move closer, you're likely moving out of either a modal or SBIR induced null at your mix position.

When moving closer, or by spreading your speakers wider than an equilateral triangle, you will likely damage your phantom centre image, where most of the important stuff sits.
    I would go so far as to say that pop art is the ultimate reflection of society.

Donít think about that too much. Itís too painful.

-Mixerman
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 961
    Rep Power 536870990

The sweet spot should be obvious.

The phantom middle becomes clear, the bass and low mids become focused, the stereo image doesn't sound wider than your speakers (unless you're very good).
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert One of those things you've never really used.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,073
    Rep Power 536871073

The sweet spot should be obvious.

The phantom middle becomes clear, the bass and low mids become focused, the stereo image doesn't sound wider than your speakers (unless you're very good).
    In an ideally treated room.

In my room, the stereo image always sounds wider than my speakers (when I want it to :p ). The real challenge is to do that with headphones.

-Mixerman
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,550
    Rep Power 536871028

I have a null right where the primo listening position is, so I end up having to put my speakers further towards the wall than I would like in order to keep from accidentally gravitating towards this spot.

I could flip the room 90 degrees but I would end up in roughly the same spot...

As fun as it is to listen to, I try not to do any mixing while the speakers are shooting sound past either side of my head. I wonder if changing the angle of the speakers towards my head would help with that.

Small rooms suck. Unless you're trying to heat them.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Surfing the net at work every day! Naked Hang-glider
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 1hr N/W of LA LA land
    Posts 344
    Rep Power 452911033

Non-ported speakers as mains here so they are right up against the front wall. They sound pretty good. They don't image quite as well as the near fields do. The mains excel at EQ where the near fields excel at placement. The sweet spot is small, but good.

Room is smallish, but has good dimensions, and a reasonable amount of treatment.
    "I'd say ALWAYS think of yourself as the listener!" - Bob Olhsson
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

If you're hearing more bass as you move closer, you're likely moving out of either a modal or SBIR induced null at your mix position.
    More bass or less treble?

Not the same thing.

High frequencies are very directional - the higher you go, the more directional they are. If you more forward of the sweet spot without changing the angle of the monitors the highest frequencies will be aimed behind your head, missing your ears.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 924
    Rep Power 536870969

Jesus Christ, John... you've just sent me into an some sort of existential crisis!!

I'm not sure!?!? I understand what you're saying but I hadn't considered it I guess. I want to say it's the bass pushing through, not the treble going away. But that might not be true. When I say "more bass" I really mean more definition in the bass. I hear the texture of the finger on the string of the bass... rather than a sort of dull thud of a string.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,073
    Rep Power 536871073

Jesus Christ, John... you've just sent me into an some sort of existential crisis!!

I'm not sure!?!? I understand what you're saying but I hadn't considered it I guess. I want to say it's the bass pushing through, not the treble going away. But that might not be true. When I say "more bass" I really mean more definition in the bass. I hear the texture of the finger on the string of the bass... rather than a sort of dull thud of a string.

-r
    When in doubt, measure.

-Mixerman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,542
    Rep Power 536871422

Not the same thing.

High frequencies are very directional - the higher you go, the more directional they are.
    Perhaps.

And yet, a cricket that finds its way into your house in the Northeast in autumn can throw its "voice" like a professional ventriloquist to the point that you are looking at an invisible cricket in the corner of your bathroom.

It is laughing at you.

Either that, or it's another one of your hallucinations, in which case, carry on.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Highway to Hell is for Children Allen Bean to the Moon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,338
    Rep Power 536871215

-r
    Play something like double bass while moving your head around. You'd get a good idea of what is happening in the low end.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

Perhaps.

And yet, a cricket that finds its way into your house in the Northeast in autumn can throw its "voice" like a professional ventriloquist to the point that you are looking at an invisible cricket in the corner of your bathroom.

It is laughing at you.

Either that, or it's another one of your hallucinations, in which case, carry on.
    I think that might have something to do with the somewhat unique physiology of the cricket's sound producing mechanism, which does indeed produce sound in all, or at least many, directions, unlike a typical tweeter, which is highly directional.

Also, I'm not sure how high the frequencies of a cricket actually go and what the low frequency cutoff actually is. IIRC it actually starts somewhere in the midrange.

EDIT: It seems that while cricket song can go much higher than we can heart the fundamental is generally around 2-3 kHz, upper midrange.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,073
    Rep Power 536871073

EDIT: It seems that while cricket song can go much higher than we can heart the fundamental is generally around 2-3 kHz, upper midrange.
    Sure, but that tells us nothing about the dispersion patterns. How do we mic it properly to capture the full balanced spectrum?

-Mixerman
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 961
    Rep Power 536870990

How do we mic it properly to capture the full balanced spectrum?
    And which preamp sounds best for crickets?
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 924
    Rep Power 536870969

And which preamp sounds best for crickets?
    The best I could come up with was the ANT V676b ...

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,542
    Rep Power 536871422

There are a couple of good things about recording a cricket.

First, it doesn't matter which mic you use -- whether you use an ELA M 250 or an SM57, it will still sound like a recorded cricket.

Another thing is after you've set up your one microphone, which is one more than I'd recommend, as soon as you've got the proper level, you're done.

2 seconds of recorded cricket is more than anough to make a loop, and no one will ever know.

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,542
    Rep Power 536871422

While we've hijcked the thread to critter noises, you may have heard the old saw that a duck's quack doesn't produce an echo.

I'm guessing that this got traction because one typically encounters ducks quacking where there isn't a nearby surface capable of reflecting their quacking.

I live in an area where there are a lot of ducks and I have heard a duck quacking and a slapback echo come from a nearby building.

Or should I say quackback

Greedle
    Surfing the net at work every day! Naked Hang-glider
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 1hr N/W of LA LA land
    Posts 344
    Rep Power 452911033

If crickets are chirping it's a sign you should probably cease recording, and go do something productive or sleep.
    "I'd say ALWAYS think of yourself as the listener!" - Bob Olhsson
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 961
    Rep Power 536870990

The best I could come up with was the ANT V676b ...

-r
    Ha!

Not bad
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,542
    Rep Power 536871422

If crickets are chirping it's a sign you should probably cease recording, and go do something productive or sleep.
    Generally speaking. But there are exceptions.
    So you may say "That'll Be the Day" when you record crickets, but remember...

Before the Beatles, there were the Crickets

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-Chirping-Crickets[1].jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	13316  

Greedle