Thread: Listening position

Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

Default Re: Listening position

The sweet spot is for the finder to enjoy. Hitting the G-spot while being in the sweet spot can cause a tornado.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,592
    Rep Power 536871425

Erm, no.

Not speakers.

He had people blowing the ribbons out of Coles 4038 microphones by using them on kick drum.
    Why would I read the book again when I know John will correct me
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location Sunny San Juan, P.R.
    Posts 562
    Rep Power 469762110

For what is worth, over at John I Sayers forum they always recommend to build your equilateral triangle with the third apex several inches behind your head (was it 18" to 24"? I can't recall just now).

The main idea is that mainly the directional tweeter information would be pointing at your nose if you didn't do that. Since our listening organ(s) is not in the nose, then placing the speakers this way is an easier path from the tweeter domes to your eardrums.

Reading OP, it also seems to be more of a Null in the room modes, doesn't it?
    Did you input your room dimensions in the room calculators that show the hot-spots for your room geometry? that'd be easy way to disregard this avenue. If you're unlucky, you'll find that you have big destructive spot for lower frequencies (mid-low if the articulation on the bass fingers is lost, right guys?) .

best regards,
    -M
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 964
    Rep Power 536870972

Did you input your room dimensions in the room calculators that show the hot-spots for your room geometry? that'd be easy way to disregard this avenue. If you're unlucky, you'll find that you have big destructive spot for lower frequencies (mid-low if the articulation on the bass fingers is lost, right guys?)
    I'm unfamiliar with this. If you'd point me at what you're talking about I'd do that for sure. Happy to share what I get from it too.

Thanks,

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Posts 562
    Rep Power 469762110

Of course, happy to help
    Give me a sec.
    If I remember correctly there are 2 room calcs that dominate, then a whole bunch of other ones with different bells and whistles.

There's this one, one of the most thorough
    http://amroc.andymel.eu/?l=13&w=11.3...stening%20room

Although the 3D room visualizer is kind of very tiny in its little portlet, you can zoom in but it's still tiny.

Here's a nice overview if you haven't dealt with this before:
    http://www.mcsquared.com/modecalc.htm

This is the one I use and like the most, it's one of the most famous ones:
    http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm

This one has nice visualization like the one you need, but for some reason it's been limited to 20 bands of very low frequencies...
    https://www.hunecke.de/en/calculator...igenmodes.html

I've never used this specific one, but can't find the graphical one I also used at my old house... anyway it looks like it would show what you want:
    http://www.acoustic.ua/forms/calculator8.en.html

Good luck!
    -h

I'm unfamiliar with this. If you'd point me at what you're talking about I'd do that for sure. Happy to share what I get from it too.

Thanks,

-r
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,592
    Rep Power 536871425

The main idea is that mainly the directional tweeter information would be pointing at your nose if you didn't do that.
    possible answers for this:

1) If you had a big nose and tweeters had fingers, theoretically they could point at your nose.

But they realize how delicate their domes are and usually mind their own business.

2) tweeters don't have a point. they disperse sound in a sort of radial pattern.

3) when I check in mono on one speaker, the tweeter is sort of pointing at the front of my face but my ears are tilted slightly forward so the sound manages to reach them.

4) your music stinks when I listen to it with my nose

ihth

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Posts 562
    Rep Power 469762110

LoL #1 #3 #4 Bahahaha

Re #2, they're more directional than woofers is what they mean.

Also, one is supposed to calc everything in reference to the speaker cabinet's "virtual center" anyway, which is an imaginary point between the various domes it may have right there on the front baffle, from where "some" distance away from the cabinet the sound converges perfectly in-phase. The virtual center on speaker-L, virtual center on speaker-R and some distance behind your head are the 3 ideal apexes(apexii?) of the triangle.

But it's a well known phenomena the thing about high frequency waves being much more directional than low frequency waves which they think of more like one would for an omnidirectional microphone. So stretching that rough metaphor even more, tweeters could be something like cardioid (not hyper-cardiod!) when compared to sub-woofers.
    possible answers for this:

1) If you had a big nose and tweeters had fingers, theoretically they could point at your nose.

But they realize how delicate their domes are and usually mind their own business.

2) tweeters don't have a point. they disperse sound in a sort of radial pattern.

3) when I check in mono on one speaker, the tweeter is sort of pointing at the front of my face but my ears are tilted slightly forward so the sound manages to reach them.

4) your music stinks when I listen to it with my nose

ihth
    Last edited by Mesmer; February 22nd, 2017 at 04:36 AM. Reason: syntax
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

I don't get it. You place the speakers equidistant from each other (?), you move perpendicular to the base line, staggering backwards, until the sound field opens up - thus hitting the sweet spot.

Otek taught me to keep the speakers "toe in" (you should see the "outsides" of the speakers while angling them towards the sweet spot), and it seems to work fine.

Why 1000 methods to achieve something that ears would accomplish in 5 seconds?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,592
    Rep Power 536871425

staggering backwards

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 964
    Rep Power 536870972

I think you've forgotten who the OP was...
    You should have seen how much time my mom spent teaching me to tie my shoes.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Sep 2008
    Posts 562
    Rep Power 469762110

LOL, are you implying he was mixing while drunk? Bahahahaah

Knas is not like that bro!
    He brews warm chocolate drinks for the ladies
    I used his recipe once
    I got to kiss the girl, like he said it would
    Knas can stagger all he wants!
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Posts 562
    Rep Power 469762110

I don't get it. You place the speakers equidistant from each other (?), you move perpendicular to the base line, staggering backwards, until the sound field opens up - thus hitting the sweet spot.

Otek taught me to keep the speakers "toe in" (you should see the "outsides" of the speakers while angling them towards the sweet spot), and it seems to work fine.

Ok on a more serious note, I guess the only real answer I can imagine is:
    You're building Soffits,
    You're about to cut wood beams for framing
    You gotta know the specific angle and a fairly final idea of where the desk and your chair goes. Other than that, I'm with you too.

-M
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,592
    Rep Power 536871425

I think you've forgotten who the OP was...
    You should have seen how much time my mom spent teaching me to tie my shoes.

-r
    Your dad had trouble teaching you to shave, also.

Greedle
    Most friends are "on the inside". Skate America finalist
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 699
    Rep Power 536871052

Everyone's room is pretty much the way it is. Unless you have a ton of room to work with, youre pretty much at the mercy of what it gives you. My 0.2? Just put on some records and get it sounding the way it should at various volumes. If anything else, it should point you in the right direction in terms of treating it. Cheers!
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 964
    Rep Power 536870972

Your dad had trouble teaching you to shave, also.
    So true...

-r
    Sign Here

goes looking for thin ice to walk on Thinks 'Catcher in the Rye' refers to a book
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location France
    Posts 93
    Rep Power 335544493

sensations. feeling.

inconvenience.
    auditive tiredness ?

And if our body was a calibrated measuring instrument ?
    Most friends are "on the inside". Skate America finalist
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 699
    Rep Power 536871052

It kind of is, isn't it? Its all a listening exercise, after all.

I just throw a good recording on and walk around. Ive heard where bass builds up and where it escapes from. My guess is thats really all you can do.

I'm in the same boat ATM. I know where to treat the low end, but at the same time, if I treat the isolation side, I'm probably gonna change the listening room.

Ive never measured my room acoustically, but it seems isolation regarding low info would significantly change how the room sounds. No?
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert One of those things you've never really used.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Big rock candy mountains.
    Posts 1,073
    Rep Power 536871074

Ive never measured my room acoustically, but it seems isolation regarding low info would significantly change how the room sounds. No?
    If you're isolating enough to keep the low frequencies from escaping, then yes, your lower modal issues would be more intense, and require treatment, most likely with tuned traps.
    I would go so far as to say that pop art is the ultimate reflection of society.

Donít think about that too much. Itís too painful.

-Mixerman