Thread: The M word

Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,060
    Rep Power 536871207

Default Re: The M word

So back on track a bit, does anyone do introductory offers for new clients? Or is your rate your rate, and thats it?
    I have never done it and will never do it for new clients, but I have done for long-time clients.

If you start out cheap, the client expects that to be the rate from here on.

Raising your rate is a very difficult thing to do.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Highway to Hell is for Children Area 51 gardener
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,346
    Rep Power 536871217

I don't. I may do a short mix snippet so they get the idea if it works for them, but my rate doesn't change.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Plays in Winger cover band Potential defenestration victim
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 708
    Rep Power 536871052

With this one new client, I offered a lower rate followed up by saying "if you like the end result and want to continue, my actual rate is x". It'll most likely be a one off kinda thing I'm guessing. Well see how it goes. Just trying to get more earballs in here.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 966
    Rep Power 536870972

I do the "new customer" dance with my cable provider every year or two. Someone is going to give me a discount to keep my business or get my business. I don't know if that's a game you want to get into.
    Seems like Tim's approach is good. Setting the price at what you need to out of the gate. Then if the relationship is a good one and there's a reason to cut him a break later, so be it.

Maybe tailoring some some "package deals" for your market? The "new band demo special" ... three songs, X amount of time in the studio(with some reasonable and predefined cost for going over), X number of mix revisions, yada-yada, all for the low price of $29.99.
    This appeals to me because I tend to gravitate towards things that have up front price/service lists. I tend to shy away from "contact us for rates". My inexperience probably plays a big role here.
    You're estimates for what it takes to get three songs in the can may be a little off, but it also sets an expectation for what the band needs to be ready to accomplish. Then you have the reasonable "overage rate" that leaves room to put in an extra couple of hours one evening and everyone knows what that cost. Or if you think it's worth it, invest a couple extra hours of your time to best serve the record ... but mostly in hopes it gains favor with the band.
    Maybe it's gimmicky...I don't know.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 708
    Rep Power 536871052

Not at all gimmicky. Just looking for pointers here, so thanks Tim, reno, and meloco. This particular case is a young singer/songwriter type (like just got their drivers liscence young) so I didnt wanna push my rate on the first one too much as to scare her off. But the fact I mentioned that going forward would be more expensive leads me to believe I probably won't be hearing back any time soon. Yup, probably shot myself in the foot there, but oh well. Take the risk while I can I guess.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,594
    Rep Power 536871425

Yup, probably shot myself in the foot there, but oh well. Take the risk while I can I guess.
    Or maybe your foot is still perfectly good and you used it to walk away from a bad deal. Hard to tell from here.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,594
    Rep Power 536871425

I do the "new customer" dance with my cable provider every year or two. Someone is going to give me a discount to keep my business or get my business. I don't know if that's a game you want to get into.
    Seems like Tim's approach is good. Setting the price at what you need to out of the gate. Then if the relationship is a good one and there's a reason to cut him a break later, so be it.

Maybe tailoring some some "package deals" for your market? The "new band demo special" ... three songs, X amount of time in the studio(with some reasonable and predefined cost for going over), X number of mix revisions, yada-yada, all for the low price of $29.99.
    This appeals to me because I tend to gravitate towards things that have up front price/service lists. I tend to shy away from "contact us for rates". My inexperience probably plays a big role here.
    You're estimates for what it takes to get three songs in the can may be a little off, but it also sets an expectation for what the band needs to be ready to accomplish. Then you have the reasonable "overage rate" that leaves room to put in an extra couple of hours one evening and everyone knows what that cost. Or if you think it's worth it, invest a couple extra hours of your time to best serve the record ... but mostly in hopes it gains favor with the band.
    Maybe it's gimmicky...I don't know.

-r
    It's called "going the extra mile" for the client. I don't think I'd call it a gimmick. But the rate you're getting has to make it worthwhile and there has to be a limit.

"Going the extra mile" would tend to get you in the client's good graces, makes you seem less mercenary.

But you can't afford to go an extra 100 miles -- there's another phrase for that:

"Giving away the store". Or: "Losing your shirt"

I think you should be up front about it, take credit.
    If you are selling your services on a per song basis, I would think you have to give them an estimate of how much time you think it should take for a song.

Then, when you've past that point you could say something like: "This song has taken an hour more that the estimate, but if we can wrap this up in the next 90 minutes, I won't have to charge you for extra time."

That makes you seem generous while putting a limit on what the client can expect.

Would that work?
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 708
    Rep Power 536871052

Lately it seems any deal is a good one. Stuffs hard to come by.

Its a gamble. Either she follows through, ends up likiking the product, and continues on, or shrugs her shoulders and wanders off. How can I know? Just gotta try I guess.

Now, for someone that has a full time job, thats probably a different story.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,060
    Rep Power 536871207

mclights, have you sat down and crunched the numbers and figured out what your daily/hourly rate should be?

When you have a concrete number to work with, then you can make a more informed decision about what circumstances you'd feel comfortable about offering a discount in.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman