Thread: What does "best sampling rate" sound like?

Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 711
    Rep Power 536871052

Default Re: What does "best sampling rate" sound like?

I realize it's not magic, but wouldn't boosting above 20k on a hardware eq excite harmonics below its boost point?
    Highway to Hell is for Children Area 51 gardener
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,346
    Rep Power 536871217

I realize it's not magic, but wouldn't boosting above 20k on a hardware eq excite harmonics below its boost point?
    Actually, I am against John on the subject.
    To me upsampling makes sence in a number of scenarios, and when it doesn't make sence, well, it's a dumb scenario

First off, if I'm given a multitrack to mix I always upsample to 96k because plugins just sound better and it's easier to mix.
    Secondly, if you leave digital domain and go into analog domain and do some analog processing it makes sence to print back at higher rate (except if you record for the final delivery and in this case it makes sence to record in the format recoding will be distributed). Thing is, once sound is in analog domain it's analog signal. It does not matter much where it comes from. Yeah, it might be frequency limited but to say that there's no point to record it at the rate the converter sounds best (of course with great converter there should be no difference, but in reality it might) is like saying "we are recording double bass so let's just use 32k as there's nothing above 10k anyway". And if there is analog processing, there always would be bandwidth spreading, so there absolutely would be harmonics above original frequency limit.
    To me it does not makes sence to use this procedure just for upsampling, i.e. record output from the DA run at, say, 44.1k to the AD running at 96k with no intermediate processing, IMO resample algorithms available now are quite good (but that is for me, people with better ears/equipment can probably find flaws in them, but the converters are not perfect too). Of course there might be a case made for ADs or DA which have such electronics so that they have a "tone" of their own you might want to capture.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,769
    Rep Power 536871396

That has nothing to do with upsampling.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 711
    Rep Power 536871052

I was probably unclear there, my bad. I was talking about taking a printed mix and running it through hardware stuff, then capured at a higher sample rate.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549529

Why do your sessions get so huge?
    I don't know really. It was a while ago, and back then my sessions tended to be quite a bit messier, with lots of unused and undeleted takes, excessive overdubs, etc..

These days my sessions are much more organized, simpler and straightforward, so I'm curious to try 96 again and see if the huge sessions was just a result of my chaotic way of working back when I was still getting used to DAW recording.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,346
    Rep Power 536871217

I was probably unclear there, my bad. I was talking about taking a printed mix and running it through hardware stuff, then capured at a higher sample rate.
    It has a merit, although the better question would be why not just upsample raw tracks and mix at higher rate right away?
    When in doubt, mumble!

Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,769
    Rep Power 536871396

It has a merit, although the better question would be why not just upsample raw tracks and mix at higher rate right away?

Why not just record at the higher rate to begin with?

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,346
    Rep Power 536871217

Why not just record at the higher rate to begin with?
    Yeah, but the recording may have been done elsewhere.
    When in doubt, mumble!

Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 711
    Rep Power 536871052

It was. I didn't know I'd go into detail here but anyways...

Speaking of a mix session in particular where the files were sent at 44.1. On a eq I have, there is a strange 50k boost on it. I noticed that it made an improvement when boosting this into a higher sample rate.
    Blah. Blah. Blee.

Somebody kill me.

SM.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

I'm with MeLoCo_go on this one, and I always upsample to 96k now too.

It's nothing to do with trying to get back inaudible frequencies, but purely to avoid nyquist cramping with plugin EQ's and aliasing from plugins that use non-linear distortion.

SRC is good enough nowadays that I think there is more to gain than lose by upsampling.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,769
    Rep Power 536871396

I'm with MeLoCo_go on this one, and I always upsample to 96k now too.

It's nothing to do with trying to get back inaudible frequencies, but purely to avoid nyquist cramping with plugin EQ's and aliasing from plugins that use non-linear distortion.

SRC is good enough nowadays that I think there is more to gain than lose by upsampling.
    Ok, makes sense I guess.