Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,265
    Rep Power 536871062

Default Are there any ADs with different analogue front ends for different sample rates?

Hello there,

the above mentioned question popped up in my head while reading the "best sample rate" thread.

So, does anyone know interfaces that actually have different filtering for different sample rates?
    I guess most prosumer stuff won't have that and I would suspect that many professionally priced options don't either.

I mean, 96k is moot as long as your interface preprocessing low passes below 20kHz be default...

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

Default Re: Are there any ADs with different analogue front ends for different sample rates?

Hello there,

the above mentioned question popped up in my head while reading the "best sample rate" thread.

So, does anyone know interfaces that actually have different filtering for different sample rates?
    I guess most prosumer stuff won't have that and I would suspect that many professionally priced options don't either.

I mean, 96k is moot as long as your interface preprocessing low passes below 20kHz be default...

All the best,
    the keks
    I think most of them actually do filter differently. Thing is, in delta-sigma ADs, the analog signal is digitized at very high rate in the way in, and then this signal is decimated and filtered to get "final" resolution. So the hardware low-pass operates at higher frequencies and is of smaller order (the whole point for delta-sigma).
    I have checked my old M-Audio card in that respect and it definitely captures up to 40+kHz @96k (and does that better than @44.1).
    But of course there is a potential for differences. It's easy to check though. Just generate sine sweep up to 20k run the signal to some distortion pedal (I used DS-1, avoid ones with combo emulation) and record back. There would be plenty of harmonics up in the ultrasound.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,140
    Rep Power 536871378

Default Re: Are there any ADs with different analogue front ends for different sample rates?

The early chips used the same filter for 48 and 44.1. I have no idea about current products.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson