Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Default So...lasers and microphones have finally been joined.

Curious to see what reactions this might get. Disregarding the fundamental question of does it sound good of course. Does the usefulness of having a targeting system like this seem piratical/useful?

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871398

Default Re: So...lasers and microphones have finally been joined.

Curious to see what reactions this might get. Disregarding the fundamental question of does it sound good of course. Does the usefulness of having a targeting system like this seem piratical/useful?

-r
    Gimmick.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,628
    Rep Power 536871428

Innovative solutions for problems that don't exist
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549531

For some reason I can't get the video to play right now. Could someone give a brief summary of the premise of this 'advancement'?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

I think it's neat. Should make recalls easier.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871398

For some reason I can't get the video to play right now. Could someone give a brief summary of the premise of this 'advancement'?
    Tape a laser pointer on top of your microphone. They you can accurately see where it's pointed (if, for example, you have really bad astigmatism and can't tell where things in front of you really are.)

You can also mark where the spot is on your speakers, drum heads, acoustic guitars, , orchestra*, etc. and easily reconstruct your mic position later. Or take a picture of the red dot with your dumb phone.

BTW, this has been around for a while now. Every time I see somebody posting about "laser microphones" I expect it top be about The FBI and CIA bouncing lasers off windows to eavesdrop on people, but it usually turns out to be this....

* - Am I being just slightly facetious? Who, ME???

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Really, you should already have a laser pointer. How else can you keep the bass players occupied.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

It's a clip from an audio expo over this new Aston mic.
    http://www.astonmics.com/starlight/
    Has a laser pointer built into the mic body.

I have no idea what this mic sounds like, but Aston has been getting very favorable reviews with their Spirit and Origin mics...especially in the price points they are targeting. I like my Origin well enough. I just don't see having an integrated pointer system being a tipping point for anyone shopping for mics.
    I do like Aston's "out of the box" approach. I don't know if that ball bearing mic screen is more gimmick than science, but with all their mics so far they've broken from the traditional copy a classic with cheaper parts approach. I'll give them that.
    Rather than integrating it into the mic though, seems like some kind of universal mount for a laser would be a better approach. If you could get to mount consistently for different mics that would make it more versatile.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871398

It's a clip from an audio expo over this new Aston mic.
    http://www.astonmics.com/starlight/
    Has a laser pointer built into the mic body.

I have no idea what this mic sounds like, but Aston has been getting very favorable reviews with their Spirit and Origin mics...especially in the price points they are targeting. I like my Origin well enough. I just don't see having an integrated pointer system being a tipping point for anyone shopping for mics.
    I do like Aston's "out of the box" approach. I don't know if that ball bearing mic screen is more gimmick than science, but with all their mics so far they've broken from the traditional copy a classic with cheaper parts approach. I'll give them that.
    AKG used the sintered screen approach on a few inexpensive dynamic mics in the '60s. It looked pretty cool but the mics weren't really that great and tended to be fragile- the capsules developed cases of "sounds funny" pretty easily or simply broke and the mics didn't sell all that well. I don't know if Aston's screens are really any better than AKG's or not, but the problem with the AKGs wasn't the screens anyway, it was the capsules. The simply were not nearly as durable as the competition from Shure and EV and had the additional problem of additional cost due to import duties. Nobody wanted to pay twice as much for an AKG as a comparable Shure, no matter how cool and modern looking.

Rather than integrating it into the mic though, seems like some kind of universal mount for a laser would be a better approach. If you could get to mount consistently for different mics that would make it more versatile.

-r
    Yeah, but it wouldn't be nearly as profitable.

London Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Space Station pet
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Getting smaller every day
    Posts 3,267
    Rep Power 489494621

I've had two people tell me about ways they had used lasers to trigger noise gates on drums - one by pointing a laser at a target inside the drum head, and relying on the difference in the speed of light and the speed of sound, the other detecting the stick just before it hit the drum.

I think they both found them to be less than exceptionally useful.

Gabriel
    Living Car Free since 05/25/2007

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
    Richard Pryor
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871398

I've had two people tell me about ways they had used lasers to trigger noise gates on drums - one by pointing a laser at a target inside the drum head, and relying on the difference in the speed of light and the speed of sound, the other detecting the stick just before it hit the drum.

I think they both found them to be less than exceptionally useful.

Gabriel

Yes, but kittens find them fascinating.

London Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Space Station pet
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Getting smaller every day
    Posts 3,267
    Rep Power 489494621

Yes, but kittens find them fascinating.
    Oh man, you should see my cats running in circles!
    Living Car Free since 05/25/2007

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
    Richard Pryor
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Sqweels like a pig!
    Join Date Dec 2012
    Location Rome, Italy
    Posts 1,232
    Rep Power 536871007

Well I find it neat too.
    Of course you can tape a laser pointer to any mic, but this is just handy.

Maybe the only thing I can argue is that even with a laser you can't recall the distance you put the mic originally. But this applies only to recalls.
    For pointing mics generally, I think it's neat.

Also, I never tried Aston mikes, but a lot of engineers I know keep telling me I need to buy some of those mikes before the price rises.

My Mixes on Soundcloud

With great monitors its easy to hear and fix problems but hard to enhance things that already sound good.

With hyped monitors, everything sounds good so you don't hear the problems.

With bad monitors, it seems easy to make absolutely anything sound better because you are really fixing the sound of the monitors rather than the sound of the recording.
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Real purdy mouth
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,200
    Rep Power 536871081

Innovative solutions for problems that don't exist
    Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There is no movement in golf that cannot be made more difficult through diligent study and practice." - Leslie Nielson

"do not misconstrue a lack of planning on YOUR part for a crisis on MY part." - Shotgun

www.bowermanstudios.com
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

I heard a crack about this being a good way to keep the bass player occupied. Not my joke...but I laughed.

-r
    Sign Here

Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Lol it was either lazers or getting them to count to 4 on time. Take your pick