Thread: "Vintage" style on vocal

Hybrid View

Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

Default "Vintage" style on vocal

I really like the vocals on this track. I like this entire album actually. But I want to throw it out for some discussion.

Since there are many ways to skin a cat, I'd like to hear how you guys would set about achieving the feel they get on this vocal. I'm not really looking to discover how exactly they did it ... but maybe I'll search the interents for that and see what I find on that. I think it'd be more interesting to hear how different people might go about it.

What I hear that I really like is the lo-fidelity quality of the vocal. It's got a little crunch, but not flat out distorted. I called it "vintage" in the title because for me it paints an image of a smokey bar/ballroom of the 40/50's. What tools and techniques would you go for if you were making this song?
    (Her song Brooklyn Baby from the same album has this feel too, and maybe even more over the top)

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870993

Default Re: "Vintage" style on vocal

Is that actually a bond theme, or did they think no-one would notice them ripping off the chords?

Personally, I'd go for band-limiting (lots of mid-range honk), saturation and tons of plate reverb.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

I should have put this in the original post... but I'd like to hear what specific tools you have in your toolbox for doing this.
    Would you try and get your saturation from your pre? Do you have a compressor that you can drive and get that saturation? A tape, or tape plugin? Do you happen to have a mic that is better dirty than clean?

Just flavor for the discussion.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870993

I should have put this in the original post... but I'd like to hear what specific tools you have in your toolbox for doing this.
    Would you try and get your saturation from your pre? Do you have a compressor that you can drive and get that saturation? A tape, or tape plugin? Do you happen to have a mic that is better dirty than clean?

Just flavor for the discussion.

-r
    Oh, okay. Well, my analogue front-end is non-existent-to-shit for the most part. There's no way I'd want to push the preamps on my el-cheapo Focusrite interface.

My favourite go-to for plugin saturation is Kush's Omega Transformer Model A (API transformer emulation). Decapitator is always good for that, too. Slate VTM is great for quick EQ bump and subtle compression, but I don't push it for obvious saturation.

For reverb, I'd use Valhalla Plate, simply because it's the only viable plate sim I've got.

One thing I've used a lot for band-limited honky vocals is a set of free impulse responses of old radios and such like that I found years ago. Add distortion before that and you've got a great radio or megaphone effect. That would be too much for this vocal though.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

Filtering to limit the bandwidth. Slow compression. Some saturation (probably 'tube' or tube emulation).

That's what it generally sounds like to me.
    Maybe add some delayed plate reverb to be period correct.
    Last edited by weedywet; March 10th, 2017 at 09:34 AM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,140
    Rep Power 536871378

A tape-delayed EMT plate with eq in the send along with a Pultec boosting and cutting the top can get most of that.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 720
    Rep Power 536871054

I'm not a feist fanatic or anything, but I think they did something similar on her big record (don't know the name of it...I'm a big help lol)

There was this weird sound on her voice, but it kinda worked. Later found out they re amped her voice into a guitar amp with a similar band pass. I decided to try this as an experiment with a little Gibson amp, and blend it in with the original dry vocal. Sounded pretty cool! Kind of accentuated the air around her voice with out the top end getting spitty. I was lucky to be in a room that had an EMT plate, but an amps spring reverb would work well also I guess.