Thread: Revisiting old recordings

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

Default Revisiting old recordings

The last few days I've been going through some old recordings I've done over the last six or seven years as part of a collaboration with a friend of mine. I've been doing quick new mixes since we never officially finished or released this stuff. I'm not sure if it's worth really "remixing" or if it would be better to just re-record the stuff we like.

Anyway, here are a few songs. If anyone wants to listen and give any feedback I'd greatly appreciate it.

https://lucasanddanny.bandcamp.com/track/touch-of-luck

https://lucasanddanny.bandcamp.com/track/watchmaker
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870992

Default Re: Revisiting old recordings

Just about to head out, so I only had time to listen to Touch of Luck.

I loved the song, and I think these are great performances, so I wouldn't personally be worried about re-recording.

It's really close to sounding done, to me. I'd get rid of a bunch of low-mids, as it's a bit muddy down there. I'd also have that bass WAY louder. Like, obnoxiously loud. To me, it is what gives the song a groove and makes it unique.

Think I heard a plosive on the vocal too, but I don't have time right now to listen back and check.

Nice work though!
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

Thanks for the feedback Rev!

I tried printing a version addressing the things you mentioned, if you'd like you can check it out here:

https://lucasanddanny.bandcamp.com/t...ouch-of-luck-2

Thanks again.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870992

Aw man, it's so close that it's hard to give advice without risking the balance going.

The low mids sound great now. If it were me, I'd bring the guitars down a bit and really make the first bit of bass, up until the first sustained note, really stick out. Just so that people hear that staccato line throughout.

It's a great bass sound, so without fiddling around with it myself I'm not sure what to suggest. It's just wants a touch more punch, to my ears.

I love all the crazy noises!
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870992

Just listened to Watchmaker.

Another cool song, really like it. Again, could do with a touch of the low-mids carved out. The main thing for me was that the vocals were way, way too quiet.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

I appreciate you taking the time to listen. Here's one more try at Watchmaker for now:

https://lucasanddanny.bandcamp.com/track/watchmaker-2

I'm going to sit on these versions for a day or so then see how I feel and if I think I can do anything else to make them better.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

Rev, since your feedback is always helpful here's one more if you'd like to give it a listen whenever you get a chance. I went ahead and updated my original version trying to address the lower mid issue, since that seems to be a theme here

https://lucasanddanny.bandcamp.com/t...-in-the-sand-2
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870992

Hey man, I'm digging the songs, so it's a pleasure!

In both Watchmaker and Line in the Sand, the guitars are overpowering the vocals. I think they could both do with bringing the music down, and also dipping some of the mid and upper-mid frequencies that are masking the vocals (though a simple level change might do that by itself, I don't have the skill to say without trying it).
    Last edited by Rev. Juda$ Sleaze; March 31st, 2017 at 07:20 PM.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

I listened to these yesterday and pretty much agree with Rev. I really like *Touch of Luck. And the second pass at it was a step in the right direction.
    The only thing I'll throw out is that I don't feel like there's a solid anchor in the center of the image. The things going on out R/L draw me away from the focus (usually the vocals) in the center. I feel like what you've got going on out there is good, but it could be made to support and enhance the main content in the center.

Sorry for my shitty descriptive abilities.

Very cool though, man!

-r

*Put in the wrong song title... My thoughts were around Touch of Luck. I just opened up Line in the Sand. Off the bat, I like that song too!
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback Reno! I do feel like some of the stuff on the sides is a little loud at times, but I'm torn because most of the 'song' is in the center, and the only potential for any sort of "ear candy" seems to be in emphasizing the sides. So I kinda feel like it could be a worthwhile trade off to make it seem a little more wide and exciting at times. Maybe I should try spending a little more time automating stuff so that it only happens in key parts.

I will also add that I've been trying a new [to me] technique with these songs when printing the mix. The chain I've been using is an SSL alpha channel [for EQ and conversion] and a Daking fet II for compression on the insert. Since I only have one of each and can't do true stereo compression, I've been doing three passes to print the mix. I buss everything panned center to one track, then do the L&R channels, so it preserves the stereo image and there's no 'shifting' in the center that you would get with dual mono L/R compression. Also no artifacts that you would get from doing two passes in a M/S setup, which I've seen suggested before [maybe not on this site...].

It's kind of tedious, but when you're trying to make the best of a home recording situation I think there might be some potential there, I just need to spend some more time learning how to approach it most effectively. Anyway, none of this matters if my mixes don't sound good, but that's my plan as far as how I'm going to approach finishing these songs. Thanks again, and sorry for rambling, I might have had one too many at the bar tonight.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

I love the ear candy, as you called it. It was a subtle thing for me ... the candy was sometimes trying to be the main course. How's that for a bad analogy. Pulling it back just the slightest bit, then some automation to let it peak out in key moments is where my mind was going.
    Again, I can't tell you how much I like Touch of Luck. (To me) there are so many cool things going on in the song ... maybe automation is the key on this song. Sort of constantly letting things come up then go to the back. It's like so close, but that last 10% would make this song just over the top cool.

For Line in the Sand, I love the doubled vocals in the verses. And I think this is more about my taste than anything, but I want to hear a female voice on the chorus starting around 1:10. Then again at 1:50. I'm not sure how exactly, but I want to hear it in the outro like section starting at 2:15ish. Take this with a heavy dose of my taste ... listen to The Civil Wars cover of Billie Jean. There would be less of it and I'd tuck the female vocal for you song more than they do for their song, but that's in the ballpark of what I'm talking about.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

And by complete happenstance, The One That Got Away by The Civil Wars was next in a playlist ... I think it's a good reference for what I hear with Touch of Luck.
    There are a number of interesting parts in this song, but her vocal sits up on top, it's easy to hear and always has my attention. The stuff on the sides darts in and out tastefully. The strings and bass in the center are there, but don't fight with her vocal. The reverb on the strings sits in the back and spread out across the stereo field creating a stage for everything else to sit up on. I know they aren't exactly the same song, but the same things are happening in this song as yours.

...as an aside, that song is on a play list that we play around the house a lot. I've heard the song a number of times but I don't think I've ever listened to it that critically before. That's a freaking good mix. It looks like Tom Elmhirst mixed it. Charlie Peacock is listed as Engineering it.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

Thanks Reno, I'll check out that song, I've never heard them before.