Thread: Moon Tooth

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,362
    Rep Power 536871219

Default Moon Tooth

A friend turned me on to them. It's been a long time since I enjoyed something that much!

Genuinely heavy, proggy and crazy at the same time:

You can grab their album @bandcamp: https://moontoothny.bandcamp.com/

And they have this in the notes:
    This album was not recorded to a metronome, quantized, or pitch-corrected in any way.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 973
    Rep Power 536870974

Default Re: Moon Tooth

I like that.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,632
    Rep Power 536871428

Pronk Rock?

I trust that the lyrics aren't that good and it's okay for the instrumental to stomp all over the vocal
    Jonathan "nobby" Boose
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,362
    Rep Power 536871219

I quite like the vocals actually, and being non-native English speaker I can't discern the lyrics on most music anyway (xcept country for some reason)
    When in doubt, mumble!

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,632
    Rep Power 536871428

I was mostly being snarky

But as a rule (not just my rule), if you are going to have a vocal track, you want to avoid burying it.

I thought I recognized some Gentle Giant or Happy The Man elements in that song, but those groups didn't bury the vocals to the extent that they had vocals.

I can enjoy Brazilian singing without understanding Portugese, but the vox is still on top.

I can't understand Opera lyrics even in English, because the usual concept of the singer emphasizing the vowels while de-emphasizing the consonants is taken to an extreme in service of the vocal sound.

In Country music, the vocal is on top, the lyrics tell a story and the instrumental acts like a fancy frame on a painting, flattering but never obscuring the vocal. Same for New Cuntry, except the backing track is '70s Rock and/or EDM

I have to acknowledge the difficulty of balancing the vocal in Rock with distorted guitars taking up a lot of the bandwidth and occupying/ attempting to dominate the same general frequency range, though.
    Jonathan "nobby" Boose
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,362
    Rep Power 536871219

IMO on those tracks the vocals are not buried more than on most similar metal/rock type music. In fact, I find vocals quite forward there and it was one of the elements which made me like this band. There are moments when vocal sort of clashes with the rest of the band but that is in rhythm not in level.
    When in doubt, mumble!

Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870994

IMO on those tracks the vocals are not buried more than on most similar metal/rock type music. In fact, I find vocals quite forward there and it was one of the elements which made me like this band. There are moments when vocal sort of clashes with the rest of the band but that is in rhythm not in level.
    Yeah, they're not sounding buried to me at all. I thought the second video had pretty forward vocals.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,632
    Rep Power 536871428

IMO on those tracks the vocals are not buried more than on most similar metal/rock type music.
    That's true. They also aren't buried more than Jimmy Hoffa

But I think you have to differentiate between Classic Rock/ early Metal which generally had discernable vocals and Nu Metal which usually doesn't.

There were exceptions, for example I could never figure out the words to the Rolling Stone's "Parachute Woman" from listening to the record. I think the purpose was to be to make it sound as dirty as possible without having the record pulled (it worked ). The song that followered it on the album, "Jigsaw Puzzle" seemed to have more of a Dylan influence and the words reflected that intent.

I didn't check out the 2nd video.

It's possible that in the 1st video, they weren't synching to a recorded track which might explain the difference.
    Jonathan "nobby" Boose
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,632
    Rep Power 536871428

Okay, I listened to the 2nd one. TOTAL ripoff of "Jailhouse Rock".

Actually, that was pretty cool

My only problem was that when I tried dancing to it, I broke a lamp during a poorly executed back flip

Actually, the reason I brought "Jailhose Rock" up is because I was in a supermarket today, where I do my oldies listening and the piano is playing (counterpoint) all over Elvis' vox.

But it's much easier to mix a vocal with instruments that have a relatively quick decay and not a ton of harmonics, like the upper range of a piano or clean guitar than it is more "steady state" sound sources like distorted guitars (from hell) and many organ/ synth parts that are steady state (as opposed to the Hammond "percussion" sound, for example).
    Jonathan "nobby" Boose
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,355
    Rep Power 536871119

I dig these guys.

My boys in "The Tea Club" did a tour with them and "Thank You Scientist".

Another bunch of nutbars.

SM.
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,362
    Rep Power 536871219

Oh, thanks! Will check out these bands too!
    When in doubt, mumble!