Thread: Anyone want to talk patchbays

Surfing the net at work every day! Throws like a girl
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Milwaukee, WI
    Posts 323
    Rep Power 402653369

WTF? Anyone want to talk patchbays

Curious for thoughts/recommendations on patchbays.

My main question has to do with connections, then choices in patchbays

I need 96 points.

My 2buss and interface are both db25 (each have 16 ins and 16 outs)

All my other stuff is a mix of XLR and TRS. (none of this stuff is mic routing or power amps stuff, just mono and stereo comps and one stereo eq)

So I am half db25 and half soldering/making patch cables

My gut has me buying something that is all db25, then making my own custom db25 breakouts to address all my XLR and TRS needs.

Any flaw in my thinking?

Follow up, thoughts on the Redco R196/DB25. Decent gear?
    https://www.redco.com/Redco-R196-D25...-Patchbay.html
    Last edited by jdier; April 21st, 2017 at 06:24 PM.
    jdier - home recordist
    my band is R. Mutt
    some Live Videos from shows I have been to
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 966
    Rep Power 536870972

Default Re: Anyone want to talk patchbays

Being lazy myself, I'd tend to go for pre-built where I can. Get 6 db25 to TRS and 6 db 25 to XLR cables. or maybe 11 pre-built ones and 1 you can customize to what you need if your count isn't even between the two types of connectors.
    *edit - Actually, less than 6 each that if 32 of them are db25 to db25.*

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,766
    Rep Power 536871396

I could swear that I answered this last night, but I don't see the post...

I would buy only Switchcraft , solder contact bays with the long factor open frame jacks. Yes, they're harder to deal with initially but they're far more reliable than the prosumer, mass produced, budget priced bays. 1/4" bays are 48 point, TT bays are 96.

I've used Switchcraft bays for many years, they've always been super reliable, and not that hard to work on once you get the hang of it. Everybody I've know who have used the typical mass produced "prosumer" grade bays have had some sort of reliability problems.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Plays in Winger cover band Potential defenestration victim
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 708
    Rep Power 536871052

Guess I'll join the party, as I recently got a uses ADC bantam patchbay. Guy used mogami wire, did a really nice job. The only thing is (and john, you'll probably love this) the rear pin out is 50 pin concentrics connectors! Never seen this before...but apparently they still make them. Look like the old SCSI ports. Thank god he threw in a couple snakes...I'd be lost.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,060
    Rep Power 536871207

We had ADC Bantam punchdown bays in the old post suite, but they were replaced after about 10 years. I wasn't around at the time, but they had started to become unreliable, although the nature of that suite wasn't particularly heavy on patch bay usage, so one wonders if the original install was done right.The ADC bays were replaced by Bittree bays which were used until the station moved.I am sceptical of any bays that use DB25 connectors, as I don't believe that the DB25 should be used in any professional environment (thanks Tascam) where there is likely to be many make/break cycles. They could well be fine, but I'm going to take some convincing.Cheers,Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Plays in Winger cover band Potential defenestration victim
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 708
    Rep Power 536871052

Ive heard this before about db25. Not sure what about that format makes it unreliable, is it that its just not meant to be constantly in plugged/re plugged, or is it the pins themselves? Seems about all you can find unless you go custom.

So the best option is just to wire the snake directly to the terminals then?
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,060
    Rep Power 536871207

Ive heard this before about db25. Not sure what about that format makes it unreliable, is it that its just not meant to be constantly in plugged/re plugged, or is it the pins themselves? Seems about all you can find unless you go custom.
    Yes. DB plugs are from the computer world, and are not designed for repeated make/break cycles...they simply aren't robust enough.

That said, most - if not all DB25 audio patch bays have the DB25 on the rear, and all of the repetitive patching happens on the bay itself...so the possibility is that you would be fine.

So the best option is just to wire the snake directly to the terminals then?
    That's what I've done in the past.

To be honest, it's a pain in the ass to do it this way, but as long as you have appropriate strain/weight relief it is the most robust way in my view.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman