Thread: Welcome to My Personal Revolution!

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

Default Re: Welcome to My Personal Revolution!

Actually I blame most of the problems we have on Wall Street being drunk out of their minds on micro-marketing.

They are insisting that music (and other entertainment) be used to separate people into micro markets instead of supporting music's traditional role of bringing people together into a community.

Micro marketing works for music but it's important to understand that every artist has always had a unique audience and an absolutely unique relationship with that audience. This is not anything new.

The ONLY difference between a "star" and anybody else is the size of their audience. This is dictated almost entirely by their individual ability to build relationships.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Thinks 'Catcher in the Rye' refers to a book
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location on the farm
    Posts 93
    Rep Power 14775664

Ya, once again wall st.takes a perfectly good concept and beats it to death..From my understanding micro marketing began from a lack of resources to do large scale campaigns.So smaller geographic areas were targeted.This was done quite sucsessfully by Network records with Sara McGlauchlin (I 'm sure I speeled that incorrectly).Focus on one area,one city at a time..As it will do the corporate world grabs hold of whatever works and twists it to its own ends.Thats how it works,build a better mouse trap and it will end up being mass produced in some third world country or it will be supressed.As soon as a new way of connecting the talent with the masses is developed the corporate world will step in and take over.There is an endless supply of talent eager to do "whatever it takes" to be a star.So really,the whole world is to blame,we can let the talent off the hook either. There is an huge diference between building a relationship with an audience and building personal relationships. I personally know people with lots of fans and NO friends,I'll bet you do to.
    Last edited by jimmy v; May 6th, 2007 at 10:03 PM.
    "some people spout bullshit just so they can hear their own heads rattle" Grampa Frame
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

We're at it again this week!
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    From New Jersey...and admits it! Irascible redactor
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location London, UK
    Posts 772
    Rep Power 536871061

Wow, Bob!

Sounds like you're going to have a blast!

"I'm interested in nurturing and featuring musicians and music, not constantly cutting people out of car wrecks." Pimp-X
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Fletcher's prison bitch
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Just Off Center
    Posts 453
    Rep Power 536871056

Let me know when I can buy it!

It will be a welcome change to hear people make music that matters.
    Tainted Love Potion Number Nine Mallory's missing camera
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871189

Wow, Bob kicked it up a notch (or two or three). Go Bob, go!
    Hating Nickelback is the new liking Nickelback.

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location East Glenbeckistan
    Posts 3,796
    Rep Power 536871157

Joining your revolution!!!
    "Far too many people suffer from the anal-cranial inversion. They got their heads stuck up their asses!" - Tom Dowd
    "A great, timeless album is more than just an entertainment app." - Don Was
    "Success does not mean success. You are only as successful as your last hit record." - Patrick Adams (record producer)
    "The tech sector is like a guy in a crowded prison cell, who finds a hand grenade, and sets it off, so that he'll have the entire cell to himself." - Dwoz
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

Joining your revolution!!!
    I've joined the revolution quite a while ago.

!Viva la Revolución Olhsson!

In the beginning every artist is their own manager, publicist, promoter, producer, record label, distributer, broadcaster, sponsor and salesperson. If lots of people can get good at a number of these roles, great at a few of them and have at least a competent understanding of most of them, we can have ourselves a musical renaissance. People who love music rather than just want to exploit it will be back in the driver's seat.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Went to eleven and came back to ten
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location Houston, TX
    Posts 391
    Rep Power 536871038

...every artist is their own manager, publicist, promoter, producer, record label, distributer, broadcaster, sponsor and salesperson. If lots of people can get good at a number of these roles, great at a few of them and have at least a competent understanding of most of them, we can have ourselves a musical renaissance.

This is exactly what I've been trying to do in my little neck of the woods. I have some knowledge in those areas and I love talking, teaching and spending time with people that can create good music.

You'd be suprised at how many people immediately throw up the defenses when you offer to help them. It only takes one success to get people to listen to ya though and that's what I'm trying to do is find that first success. By the same token,
    you'd be amazed at what gets traction.

For example - Texas offers a vanity license plate that has the tagline - Enjoy Texas Music. I got the plate # ROCK.

I have been flagged down on I10 and SH290 on several occasions, pulled over and had meaningful chats with folks on the state of the local music scene and what can be done to turn things around.
    "On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord." - President Barack Obama

Facebook
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Aardvark makes parts of me levitate
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Posts 297
    Rep Power 335544465

This sounds like great news.

I really look forward to hearing what you guys come up with, I'll keep checking back, I rarely come in this part of the forum but when I do there's always some really cool posts. Thanks for sharing....
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Posts 8
    Rep Power 90

This sub-forum is of great interest to me. As well as being interested in music and engineering/production, the future of the music business is a newish passion of mine.
    Most friends are "on the inside". Wal-mart greeter
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location On the left coast
    Posts 689
    Rep Power 536871061

Maybe this post holds some promise for the future, which is perhaps why it keeps being dug up and brought back to life.

I think that a new business model will only come from the grassroots, as the "money" folks at the top have demonstrated an eagerness to butcher all the cows because the poor beasts cannot give milk fast enough. Those folks (to generalize more than a little bit) will never be able design anything sustainable, being quite incapable of thinking beyond next Wednesday.

However, if local musicians and studios work together to assemble loose-knit groups (consortiums/guilds/associations or whatever you want to call them) in order to get interesting music recorded and available via direct purchase from the artist over the Internet, I think it might just have some small chance of success. Not a new idea by any means.

With the extra 90% that the guys at the top shoved into their pockets then being available to reinvest in the artists and those who helped them create the music, the unit cost might be much lower —or maybe "success" only needs to be 10% as large as it once needed to be!

Although this does nothing to address the legal issues that currently limit the musical artist's rights to their intellectual property (which no other type of art suffers from) and the wholesale theft of same by the general public, the current business model is an important part of what needs fixing.
    Ȼ£ΘϨ€₸Θ₸H€€ɖƓ€
    a.k.a. Randy Brewer
    http://bespokerecording.com
    CAPE 10 - Team Witty Placard
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

...Although this does nothing to address the legal issues that currently limit the musical artist's rights to their intellectual property (which no other type of art suffers from) and the wholesale theft of same by the general public, the current business model is an important part of what needs fixing.
    What people call "the current business model" is a fantasy that has been perpetuated by artists seeking someone to blame their failure to attract fans on, a few industry executives who want to brag about the size of their manhood and marketing types seeking to create the illusion of their artist being an "alternative" to the mythological corporate-created artists.

The music business has always been entirely about building from the grass roots. Our grass roots infrastructure, the place where we used to grow artists, got destroyed by the corporate consolidation of retailing, broadcast and live performance venues.

This problem dates back to the early 1990s and before. The labels were already on life support in the form of CD catalog sales when Napster reared its ugly head as a means of the personal computer industry taking over the consumer entertainment electronics industry. The biggest problem by far that this created has been scaring off the angel investors who used to finance most artists' early grass roots activity.

We certainly can grow artists again but not in the same way we have since the early 1930s. We're back to church, living rooms and street busking until a new generation of live venues has been developed.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Most friends are "on the inside". Wal-mart greeter
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location On the left coast
    Posts 689
    Rep Power 536871061

We certainly can grow artists again but not in the same way we have since the early 1930s. We're back to church, living rooms and street busking until a new generation of live venues has been developed.
    Bob, your knowledge of this issue and your willingness to share it are greatly appreciated.

The grass roots artist infrastructure that once existed was still quite unavailable to many talented people, even at it's peak. And as you say, once the digital theft era happened, it all but disappeared.

But even before the PC was invented, perhaps the acceptance of DJs as "live music" was also a contributing factor to demise of the music venue as it used to be several decades ago.

Shit, it WAS all disco's fault...

Prior to the CD format, I remember companies like Hemisphere Sound, who were violating copyright laws by copying vinyl to 8 track tapes and selling them in gas stations on a large scale throughout the midwest before the FBI finally shut their doors.

And it's not just music that's stolen. Every time the technology has permitted it, there have been many people willing to step up and steal.

The wholesale theft of intellectual property rights in the form of software applications in the world of personal computers was quite widespread from it's origins, and certainly before music ever arrived there. Now, of course motion pictures are the latest to be stolen right and left due to the digital domains easy transport and tolerance of stolen property.

Ȼ£ΘϨ€₸Θ₸H€€ɖƓ€
    a.k.a. Randy Brewer
    http://bespokerecording.com
    CAPE 10 - Team Witty Placard