Thread: MiX iT! Intro – PLEASE READ FIRST

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,583
    Rep Power 536871090

Default Re: Mix it Like a Record Event

I guess it's like CAPE: Officially, it's not a competition.

Officially.
    I'm probably talking shit.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

Here's my take: When you submit a mix (I'm going to try to fit one in too!) please be prepared to spill the beans and talk about it. That's the gist of it. A session file speaks a thousand words, but there's nothing to stop you from just talking about it.

This is like a yankee christmas party...you bring a gift, you get a gift. Every mix will have SOMETHING worth taking home with you and adding to your kit.

dwoz
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Quantum Psychic Turkey vulture soup slurper
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Seattle
    Posts 230
    Rep Power 536871043

Please include info/rules regarding boundaries (or lack thereof) on remixing, re-arranging, retracking, adding new audio tracks (or leaving tracks out), adding sample or VSTi tracks, beat-detectiving/audio warping/time stretching, auto-tuning, etc. Anything that's not allowed should be explicitly stated.

Sounds like great fun!

Jay
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,389
    Rep Power 402653956

I guess it's like CAPE: Officially, it's not a competition.
    Competition! (And Production Experience?)
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

Please include info/rules regarding boundaries (or lack thereof) on remixing, re-arranging, retracking, adding new audio tracks (or leaving tracks out), adding sample or VSTi tracks, beat-detectiving/audio warping/time stretching, auto-tuning, etc. Anything that's not allowed should be explicitly stated.

Sounds like great fun!

Jay

I have a suggestion for this! if it takes the original musos more than one listen to decide that they've been cuckolded, then you pass!

dwoz
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location NZer living in Melbourne
    Posts 27
    Rep Power 387382515

Sounds great, looking forward to this!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928057

Sounds great, looking forward to this!
    Get the hell out of here newbie.
    And New Zealand??
    Since when has melbourne been in NZ??
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location NZer living in Melbourne
    Posts 27
    Rep Power 387382515

Hey I'll put my mbox mini mix against your HD mix any day my firend, bring the pain

P.S NZ to the bone.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928057

Hey I'll put my mbox mini mix against your HD mix any day my firend, bring the pain
    Yeah, you say it will be on your mbox but really you
    will have grabbed some spare hours at SingSing on the neve
    or ssl. And i'm not jealous at all.

Your location is a lie, and your methods are a lie.

You've changed man.
    You've changed...
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Snarfer extraordinaire
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Perth, Western Australia
    Posts 273
    Rep Power 536871047

Well it sounds like fun, I'm looking forward to it. I've got a session to throw in the pot, too. Anyone else?
    "Yep there are delays and also an old 910 harmoniser on the snare on that album, with the feedback turned up and pitched down to give some length to the snare on BIB. Pretty standard trick in them olden days" - Mike Shipley
    Joan River's boytoy FBI Agent searching hard-drives
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871087

Default Re: Mix it Like a Record Event – Info

I am SO there. I'm used to slugging it out with PSW guys in J. Hall's forum- challenging because the tracks can be absolutely anything, J usually has some angle he's working which might or might not be apparent to anybody else, and 99% of the entrants crit mostly with an eye to what they hate about all the other mixes

That said, one of J's rules is helpful in stopping things from turning into CaPE Auxiliary: no overdubs, period. Hell, even sample replacement causes ME problems interpreting things- the last one, I got sounds off the original tracks as I always do. Quite a few guys got way better drum sounds than I did, and I asked what they did. Drumagog, drumagog, etc... they didn't GET a sound on the tracks I struggled with, they just picked a drum sound that was better and triggered it. Made me feel really stupid
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871116

The Song Submission thread is now up. Please post songs in the thread you'd like to have mixed.
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
    thinks pete seeger is bob's brother Better off without a wife
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 161
    Rep Power 296853953

I am SO there. I'm used to slugging it out with PSW guys in J. Hall's forum- challenging because the tracks can be absolutely anything, J usually has some angle he's working which might or might not be apparent to anybody else, and 99% of the entrants crit mostly with an eye to what they hate about all the other mixes

That said, one of J's rules is helpful in stopping things from turning into CaPE Auxiliary: no overdubs, period. Hell, even sample replacement causes ME problems interpreting things- the last one, I got sounds off the original tracks as I always do. Quite a few guys got way better drum sounds than I did, and I asked what they did. Drumagog, drumagog, etc... they didn't GET a sound on the tracks I struggled with, they just picked a drum sound that was better and triggered it. Made me feel really stupid

Just make your own trigger plugin.....
    Quantum Psychic Thinks pizza is a meal
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 238
    Rep Power 251658482

Is lurking allowed? I don't want to upload a song or mix, but would like to see what others are doing.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871116

Absolutely. This will all happen in public.

Lurk (+ learn) away!

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location singletrack
    Posts 437
    Rep Power 536871052

Extremely cool idea. Great plan. Let the learning begin, er, I mean, continue!
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Posts 29
    Rep Power 767170

When is the forum to sign up for the event going to be posted? I've seen the posts for song submissions. I'd like to mix "Simple Little Bird" by Aces High. That is for the moment though. Have to see what other songs are posted later on.
    Hates these rank titles! Ends jokes with… That's what she said
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Derbyshire, UK
    Posts 205
    Rep Power 352725033

I guess a poll will be made at the end of the submission period, and another thread for people to make comments on the songs and why they'd like to choose that song for the group to mix.

???

I like all the submissions thus far, but S.L.B is edging it at the mo.

How bad is you lifestyle when it freaks out Snoop Dog? Ask Amy Winehouse!

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 10.5.8/6.4, 13GB Ram, Digi 002, PT 8.0.4/9, and lots of plugs... mmm!!!

Affiliate - http://multiplatinumprotools.com/cat...e_banner_id=13

CV: http://www.box.net/shared/fpeobmn4k4
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871116

When is the forum to sign up for the event going to be posted?
    Very soon.

It will be a sticky thread here in the MiLaR Forum.

Surfing the net at work every day! Waterbrother
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Wellington NZ
    Posts 311
    Rep Power 536871045

When is the forum to sign up for the event going to be posted? I've seen the posts for song submissions. I'd like to mix "Simple Little Bird" by Aces High. That is for the moment though. Have to see what other songs are posted later on.
    yeah simple little bird is a cool song i reckon, i had a wicked time mixing that song...too bad the band already disbanded(kinda) there's only 1 member left.
    _= 3 STARS and the SUN =_
    Joshua Manlunas on Facebook