Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Real purdy mouth
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location At the console, or cleaning the toilet
    Posts 1,210
    Rep Power 536871078

Default Re: Live Show Paperwork - the tech rider, input list, and stage plot primer

The contact info... If you can include cell # or designate the number as a valid cell... It REALLY helps the venue to know that they can contact you if there's an issue, update to the schedule, etc... and you're on the road already.

Your 5th mix... I take it that would be for the riser folks? I'd consider putting it on there as a preferred but optional mix. That way, there won't be much of an issue for those times when you get stuck w/ only 4 mixes.

I agree w/pounce... if you change the electrical to a lightning bolt, it removes any doubt. You might also consider grouping your symbol key verticaly and putting a box around it... Someone might think you need one of each at the back of the riser.

Last thing... defintely date this thing... month/year is fine. The date at least tells everyone, with a high degree of certainty, that the plot is probably accurate. Also, it you have a change in something, you're less likely to send the wrong plot out.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871118

Default Re: Live Show Paperwork - the tech rider, input list, and stage plot primer

here is some paperwork for a local band. i helped them on putting it together. it's not the be all end all of paperwork, but it's usable and decent. so i'm offer it up as another example, and you are still welcome to comment on it for good or bad. this is a young band playing the college campus bars mostly, but now they at least have an input list of some sorts. we put it together pretty quickly, which is a reminder that these things are particularly complicated. the extra motivation for getting this together was an out of town show as an opener where they were likely to have little time with the engineer. sending this paperwork in advance will help them assure they have anywhere near the channels they need and so forth.
    Attached Files
    wardrobe malfunction investigator "Mock Chicken" joke?...could be American.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Pasadena, CA
    Posts 40
    Rep Power 134217868

I just want to say "thank you" for this thread. After reading it and modifying my plot and input list, we've had a much smoother time with venue sound guys.

They've appreciated that we had our sh*t together, and we've been able to spend less time setting up and more time dialing in our sound.
    poxyboggards.com
    angryfolk.com

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

-Hunter S. Thompson
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Birmingham
    Posts 2
    Rep Power 114

I just came across this thread and felt like Ineed to add this. I recieved a stage plot or whatever you'd like to call this from a very talented young lady. Shes a singer songwriter and an amazing performer, its just a shame that she hadnt read a thread like this before she arrived at my venue.

She didnt really get much help the evening of her gig, despite the several phone calls I made, it was still a nightmare.
    Attached Images  
    Large dairy air enthusiast Portable toilet attendant
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Ohio
    Posts 1,162
    Rep Power 536871078

I just came across this thread and felt like Ineed to add this. I recieved a stage plot or whatever you'd like to call this from a very talented young lady. Shes a singer songwriter and an amazing performer, its just a shame that she hadnt read a thread like this before she arrived at my venue.

She didnt really get much help the evening of her gig, despite the several phone calls I made, it was still a nightmare.
    At least she warned you about the hair. That would have been an audio catastrophe just waiting to happen.
    Droolbucket

"Fix it in the marketing!" ..DigitMus
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Posts 14
    Rep Power 91

Gigging with my current band for over a year we've submitted various information to events, but did not have a standard tech package to use. We play mostly festivals and charity events and have found it useful that places know our needs since there is so much variation in the venues.

After reading this thread and other info from the Internet, I'd like to get your inputs on my current effort: CROSSFIRE band - tech package ao 2012-0530

Thanks!
    Brian
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871118

my quick response is that it's good, it covers the important bases, and it works.

if there were any way to make the stage plot a -little- less busy so much the better, but you are conveying a lot of info there. so long as that is current info I'd be happy to get it as a mixing guy.
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Posts 14
    Rep Power 91

Thanks pounce. I appreciate the feedback.
    Craves piCklEmiLk Got punched for singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Atlanta
    Posts 439
    Rep Power 536871050

I pretty well agree with Pouncer, it's a good list of info, and if you keep it current it's golden for the most part.

A couple of points, though, since you asked for feedback.

First, Paul is right, it's busy paperwork, but that's a "document layout" issue, not a "I don't have enough to work with" issue. I don't know that I have space or time to tell you how to improve it, but if you know someone whose job it is to do document layouts, maybe pass it by them. I'd be surprised if they didn't change the sizes of a few things, add some negative space, and make titles and labels more visible at a glance. I had to look twice to see the difference between plot A and plot B (the movement of the bass player).

That note about only mic'ing the kick: If I got that plot my first question would be, "why do they only mic the kick? Is it part of their sound? They say I can mic other drums if I want, but what other drums?" I'd like to see you maybe add this: "Appropriate mic type. Normally only mic on drums, tech can determine more mic needs depending on venue. Drum kit is standard 5-piece with raunchy, piccolo snare." That way, if I do want to mic the rest of the kit, I know what I'm getting myself into ahead of time.

Also might be nice to specifically note that the keyboard DI is ok in mono. Just makes me feel better. I've run into a ton of key twinklers who get snooty if you assume anything other than stereo for them.

Other than those two (very minor) things, it looks great. If you're ever in Atlanta, call me. But you'll have to settle for 4 monitor mixes...

~S
    -------

Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In a Mobile...backstage...all by myself...
    Posts 1,861
    Rep Power 536871102

In general, I like. You're conveying a lot of information, so thats a good thing. I'm used to getting not enough information, so too much isn't a bad thing.

Some things to make it better:
    1) do you really need two stage plots for bass on SR versus bass on SL? In reailty, you should really only need to go with the stage plot that configures you the way you feel more comfortable playing. When I wear my "house guy" hat, I'm going to preset for where you configure yourself. If you give me two versions, I'm not going to preset until you get to the venue because I don't know which one you're going to want to do.

Just go with one version...the one you prefer playing with.

2) remove the need for extra acronyms. If, for example, on the Guitar Amp 2, you just put the symbol for a DI and a mic on the amp, you don't need to refer to "EG2-1" and "EG2-2". If you need to refer to them, just put a "Note 1" and add a note at the bottom of the page. The "EG2-*" adds a level of complexity that someone needs to navigate. Although its not a big complexity, when I'm reading 6 other stageplots and trying to make a festival plot out of them, its one more level of "WTF?" that I need to figure out. As well, the minute I see "Guitar Amp 2" with the symbols for DI and 57, I'll have them ready.

3)Just put the boxes for the AC drops beside what will use them...that will allow you to eliminate the symbol for AC line runs, meaning less clutter.

Those are my only concerns which all come from the idea of de-cluttering. Other than that, as one of my mentors used to say, ya done good, kid!
    Follow Click Track Audio on Twitter

Check out Click Track Audio on Facebook
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Posts 14
    Rep Power 91

Cool beans... thanks for the additional inputs...

From pounce and shotgun: I tried to create more whitespace on the diagrams and move information into the INPUT LIST page where options were previously presented on the stage plot. Tried to highlight inputs and monitor mixes as well.

From clicktrack: I removed that EG2-1 / EG2-2 stuff and used just EG2. I put the information about the DI vs mic into the INPUT LIST as venue tech preference. My amp is a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister and it has a built in RedBox DI. Some venue techs liked the RedBox, others liked mic'ing the amp. I've had one guy use both inputs and he blended them in the house. Also I kept the other plots for our purposes but will be sure the package we give to a specific venue only has a single plot for the venue. Also got rid of the AC line runs by moving ac blocks next to items that need ac.

Here is the final result summarizing your very helpful comments: http://www.mediafire.com/file/y2a9v3...2_one_plot.pdf
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871118

way easier to read. I think that's the one.
    you have just succeeded in communicating your needs to the folks who are going to be working with you on the shows. they will appreciate it and you'll eliminate all sorts of confusion. this is a good thing.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Yknee cnut
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Switzerland
    Posts 498
    Rep Power 536871056

This is how it's done by the pros.

Straight-forward, no bullshit and easy to read.

Drummers perspective or death. -Slippy
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In a Mobile...backstage...all by myself...
    Posts 1,861
    Rep Power 536871102

Here is the final result summarizing your very helpful comments: http://www.mediafire.com/file/y2a9v3...2_one_plot.pdf
    Well done. You wouldn't get any complaints from me.
    This is a very good stage plot, communicates a tonne of information, and allows me to get the stage wired long before you arrive to a state where we'd only need a few tweaks before making noise.

And then there's this one:

Classic!
    Follow Click Track Audio on Twitter

Check out Click Track Audio on Facebook
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Posts 14
    Rep Power 91

Yeah... THAT one is definitely worth a laugh!
    Silly Rabbit Chocolate Muffin Eater...think Halle Berry!
    Join Date Nov 2010
    Location Flerdah
    Posts 148
    Rep Power 536870995

I would ad that if you are not carrying your own monitor engineer, please number the mixes from stage right, to stage left. Makes my life easier. It's a small thing, but it can help ...
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Posts 14
    Rep Power 91

I would ad that if you are not carrying your own monitor engineer, please number the mixes from stage right, to stage left. Makes my life easier. It's a small thing, but it can help ...
    Good comment. I can see how that makes things easier. Also edited the VOX inputs similarly from SR to SL.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Yknee cnut
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Switzerland
    Posts 498
    Rep Power 536871056

Stage Left/Right , Upstage/Downstage: Is that stuff drummer's perspective?
    Drummers perspective or death. -Slippy
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Posts 14
    Rep Power 91

Stage Left/Right , Upstage/Downstage: Is that stuff drummer's perspective?
    FOH mixer facing the stage perspective.
    Silly Rabbit Chocolate Muffin Eater...think Halle Berry!
    Join Date Nov 2010
    Location Flerdah
    Posts 148
    Rep Power 536870995

"Stage" is in reference to being on the stage looking out. Stage right is to the right of the performer as he/she looks out toward the adoring fans. Down stage is the front of the stage.

House Left/Right is sometimes used. For instance, our amp racks for the main P.A. sit under the the stage facing out toward each side. They are labeled House left and house right respectively.

BOOM!!