Thread: The GaY GrAmMaR Thread

goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Posts 83
    Rep Power 67108994

Default The GaY GrAmMaR Thread

[Please ignore the fatuous first four posts. The real educational stuff starts with post #5 below. Thanks, Charles]

On your Myspace page the first song you have is labled, Its over .

In the first part of the song the artist lyrics are
    I lost my mind and nothings cleeeeaarrrrrrrrrrrrr.

that effect that you do to "clear" where , the vocal almost automates into just a buss send with good reverb on it.

I know this is a bad way to describe the technique but i really would like how you did that.

What is that called, and how could i achieve that effect?

That really inspired me with a coupla ideas on other techniques and effect you can do using that as a starting point.

Care to share? Thank you
    Last edited by Charles Dye; October 31st, 2007 at 01:57 PM. Reason: correcting a misguided poster's frivolous desire to discuss *mixing* (... of all things!)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871118

Default Re: Question for Dye on a effect used

Sure. It's basically a dedicated reverb that I only turned the send on for the last word in the 2nd + 4th lines of each verse. I also hear what was probably a 1/2 note delay blended in also on that same word.

The reverb would've been a plate, cuz a plate has a smooth even decay, with basically a really long decay time set. The time doesn't matter so much, just set it so it lasts a real long time. Coulda been 30 sec or 2 min. I really don't recall.

I do remember that it was not set to the verbs longest decay time tho. That sounded too sustained. It sound better to me with some decay, so the sound would slightly sound like it was dying off, instead of lasting forever.

I believe I also automated the stop. IOW, I didn't want the verb to just decay on it's own. At some point in the song (a few bars later or so) I wanted it to essentially disappear, so I faded out the verb return.

And the 1/2 note delay would've been pretty dark (probably a 2k HPF) and with lots of verb (probably my Lg Hall) on the delay return, so it would sound diffuse + distant. It kinda gives a slow pulse quality to the reverb tail on the vox.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Posts 83
    Rep Power 67108994

Awsome dude.

For some reason i thought it was going to be a little more complicated than that .

Yes, it does give me great ideas. I will get working on it and if i some how manage to pul off my idea, i will let you know

There is so much you can do, i have to be carefull not to over do it

Thank you

Rick
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871118

You're welcome.

And yes, using effects like this tastefully is often (tho not always) key.

Another tip I've found is the best way to set levels on effects, like how much verb or delay to put on an instrument, is to adjust the final level of the effect while listening to the mix @ a low volume on small rather lofi speakers. Like Auratones or Avantones.

I've found setting effects levels in big speakers + especially @ loud volumes causes me to downplay them, cuz they seem overbearing, or too obvious, or over the top. But when listening back to the mix later on smaller speakers @ lower volumes the effect now seems waayyy too subtle + low.

So, always set effect levels on small speakers @ low volumes.

Hope this helps.

Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871394

Question for Feedback711 on the use of the article "a", instead of "an", in front of a word ("effect") beginning with a vowel:

WHY?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

Question for Feedback711 on the use of the article "a", instead of "an", in front of a word ("effect") beginning with a vowel:

WHY?

simple. He's used to a spanish (romance) language, and in his way of thinking, "used" is the subject, and "effect" is an adjective.

?No?

dwoz
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Posts 83
    Rep Power 67108994

simple. He's used to a spanish (romance) language, and in his way of thinking, "used" is the subject, and "effect" is an adjective.

?No?

dwoz
    Who cares how i type, spell, or for that matter smell. As long as my mixes become more dynamic and givesyou chilles when i turn it up loud, WHO CARES.
    If you are going to worry about anything, worry about how good i am becoming in my lilttle room, mixing.

hahahaha. I am being playful. Not hurtfull. Sarcastic tones are so hard to replicate when typing.....Maybe i need to mix it through Excell and up load a JPEG of our conversation. lol

CHARLES DYE
    We are on the same page with the applying effects though sma monitor speakers. I always have naturally done that, not just with applying effects but with other parts of mixing. Other people never could get why i do that. I just always hated mixing it through powerful monitors only to take it out to the car and not hear what you wanted it to sound like because you mixed it with the volume so loud. sometimes i have that problem with the snare level and cheaper smaller speakers always worked better for me for certain things.

I also have a out put on my interface routed to a cheap surround sound i bought at walmart. Even though there is nothing in mymixes that is surround ready it proves to be a good reference. I figure that the average joe wont have a thousand dollar or higher stereo in there front room.

anyway thank you
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871394

Well, in a medium, the goal of which is ostensibly COMMUNICATION, I might make the case that caring about grammar is caring about CLARITY in such communication.

but, at your request, I shall commence 'worrying'.
    Last edited by weedywet; October 29th, 2007 at 09:11 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hobart, Tasmania
    Posts 1,260
    Rep Power 536871082

I do agree it's important to be CLAIR.

Although my girlfriend's name is Clare, so that could lead to some confusion.

To give Mr. Feedback the benefit of the doubt, perhaps it was a simple typorgaphical erorr?
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Posts 83
    Rep Power 67108994

Well, in a medium, the goal of which is ostensibly COMMUNICATION, I might make the case that caring about grammar is caring about CLAIRTY in such communication.

do big words make you feel special???? Big mixes make me feel good!.....

Alright... I give up. Point recieved. I know my typing sucks.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871394

As evidenced by my Clairity usage, MY typing sucks.

But my grammar doesn't.

is there some reaosn why "big" words and "big mixes" are mutually exclusive?

I can live with that.
    Yet to knock-up a Spears daughter Unscrupulous Usufructuary
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Hell
    Posts 2,412
    Rep Power 536871119

As evidenced by my Clairity usage, MY typing sucks.

But my grammar doesn't.

I can live with that.

Well, in a medium, the goal of which is ostensibly COMMUNICATION, I might make the case that caring about grammar is caring about CLARITY in such communication.

You might want a capital on that 'is' and maybe on that 'but' in your earlier post. Is it gramatically correct to start a sentance with 'but'?

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871118

Geez... our 1st grammar thread. Let's make it a sticky.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location DownUnder
    Posts 1,416
    Rep Power 536871086

like "sticky" to the bottom of the trashcan...

Mr weedywet must be really bored...
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Posts 83
    Rep Power 67108994

I can live with that.
    reaosn reaosn reaosn reaosn reaosn

Answer me this

Is there a reason you make such a big deal about clairity and grammer when you cant even spell the word reason....I do believe this is how you spelled it reaosn.

Lets all go down to our local community college and take a class of PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH............
    That felt good
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871118

Sticky me this.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location PNW
    Posts 959
    Rep Power 536871071

I know Im guilty of grammatical errors but...

Only folks who actually majored in "language arts" really care because it lets them exercise a normally useless degree.

I don't know how many times in the past I tried to correct what turned out to be a deaf person or a 14 year old in Botswana who speak 7 different languages. (deaf folks leave words out)

I also have young children whom I must decipher pretty often...

Language has and will continue to morph as it has for thousands of years...

On an interesting note, this is one of those rare threads where Chuck isn't typing in PT shortcut mode...

Not that it isn't wrong mind you...
    Musicians are the money pinata and the tools are just various sticks to whack them with - Cosmic Pig

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871118

Fast fwd 300 yrs....

a ng asdg[p sf 723= 20 9;l 298 jpa'jm

ok qiyg w[i

m 07838p 0u8wsbhfnv e'2-95

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location singletrack
    Posts 437
    Rep Power 536871054

Default Re: The GrAmMaR Thread

The radio signal

Imagine you're driving along on a highway, heading away from the city, and listening to your favourite radio station. At the beginning of your drive, the radio's coming in clear and strong. After driving a while, there's a small amount of fuzz. It doesn't bother you, because the tunes are great. Continue driving away from the transmission tower, and the level of static builds. The music still rocks, but it's getting harder to clearly hear. Keep going. You start to get mucho distortion. You can't really hear the tunes so well any more. Eventually, farther down the road, there's so much static that you can't keep track of what's going on in the music, so you lose interest and turn it off.

Clear grammar and spelling are the strong signal. Unintelligible spelling and syntax are the static. At a certain level of unintelligibility, you stop reading the thread and go do something else, possibly missing out on fun, educational material.

That's why grammar and spelling matter.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location singletrack
    Posts 437
    Rep Power 536871054

Fast fwd 300 yrs....

a ng asdg[p sf 723= 20 9;l 298 jpa'jm

ok qiyg w[i

m 07838p 0u8wsbhfnv e'2-95
    Said the bishop to the actress.