Thread: The Live Music Experience GLOSSARY OF TERMS

wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 31
    Rep Power 133

Default Re: The Live Music Experience GLOSSARY OF TERMS

Technically these are illegal most anywhere.

Just try using AC ground lifters in Japan, Australia, Europe..... and the list goes on.

Not good. Quick Fix but not good.
    New digs, eh?
    Most friends are "on the inside". Wal-mart greeter
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location On the left coast
    Posts 689
    Rep Power 536871061

Some of my favorites from Roadie.net:

Betty - Slang: Groupie

Blacks - Official uniform of roadies

Book of Lies - Slang: A tour itinerary, which are notorious for being incorrect/out of date

Butt Fill - Monitors behind a musician, used for purposes of Deafness, Ego, and... well.. deafness and ego

Cable Monkey - Semi-derogatory term for sound crew, particularly junior crew

Cans - Slang: for headphones, tits, or Par-Cans (lighting instruments)

Civilian - Any non-roadie who doesn't really understand.... i.e. "My present girlfriend is a civilian...I guess we wont be together long then" Also applicable to non production "visitors" backstage, especially those that get in the way hanging in the wings during a show or right after the end. "Somebody get those fucking civilians outta my way..."

Cotton Tech - Slang: Person who sells T-Shirts

DFA - Label on fake knob installed on mixing console to deceive bands when they wanted more treble/bass/volume or whatever, and turned it to full at their request. "DFA"? Well, it means "Does Fuck All"

Dildo - Female to Female cable connector

Feeding the Fish - Guitar picks, drum sticks (broken or not) that are found on stage after the show and tossed (or sometimes even thrown) into the crowd

Fucking The Monkey - Running the show. "I'm not fucking this monkey, I'm just holding his arms down." (in otherwords, I'm not in charge, don't ask me)

Gig Turd - Small section of gaffer tape which attaches itself to your shoes at a gig

Grunt - Slang: Roadie whose main job is to move things and not touch the electrical equipment

HAMSTER - Hooker Actress Model Stripper Trainer Entertainer Runaway: Good looking female backstage looking to "hook up" with the lead singer.... "So, what do you do darlin'? ....I'm
    a ......Model, Actress, Personal Trainer, etc.... (yeah right)

High impedance air gap - The resulting situation produced by a piece of equipment not being plugged in, as in, "Hey guys, I fixed the kick drum mic--it just had a high impedance air gap!"

Hoik - Move something, typically heavy. "Hoik the speaker up here"

Hot Patch - Or "hot patching": Plugging in a electrified ("hot") power cord or cable to any unit, thus increasing the chances of "shorting out" the cable and/or the unit

I tried to fix it - A complete lie which usually means "It wasn't working, I got pissed off at the fucking thing and threw it at the wall, thus breaking it into the five pieces you see before you"

Kak - Slang: general equipment or gear. Used in a derogatory way as an alternative to calling the gear "Shit". For instance, "Hurry up, let's get this 'kak' off of the truck so we can start setting up." Also a term for when your laptop PC crashes.

Laminate - Permanent plastic laminated stage pass given to road crew and band for an entire tour

Leatherman - Brand name of a type of tool with muliple functions. Usually has a pair of pliers, knife blade, screwdrivers (Philips & flat head), and a bottle opener. It's carried in a sheath on the roadie's belt, and is responsible for helping save many a show. Has multiple uses, beside just the tools. Very rare to see a roadie without one.

Lighting Guy - Derogatory comment made usually by an audio engineer...can be replaced with:
    Filament Fag, Spark Fairy, Truss Tart, Galadriel, Gobo Geek, Focus Fairies, Squints, Par Pussies (and any combination of the above)

Lot Lizard - A prostitute that works a truck-stop or rest-area parking lot

LSD - Abbreviation: Lead Singer Disease..That pretty boy who thinks he's got Mariah Carey range..but makes Mark Slaughter look like Celion Dion

Magic Touch - When you touch a knob/fader/pot without moving it when the artist asks for "Just a touch"

Magic Wave - Moving the hands over the console (usually the monitor console) to make the artist think that you're actually doing something instead of messing with your perfect settings (related to "Magic Touch")

MABs - Moving Air Baffles. Slang: The people in the audience

NFG - No fucking good. Abbreviation: Non-Functional Gear - If you work with Christian artists some people may say "Hey fucktard, I know what that means", so this is a second G rated definition, just in case someone tries to give you a hard time about it if you work with churchies.

PSD - Short for Professional Shit Deflector / Slang for Monitor Engineer

Puntersville - The place were the audience congregates

Rider - The document details the performer's requirements regarding food, drink, etc. Also known as "the wish list"

Safety Meeting - The sharing of marijuana among crew and or band members. "Safety meeting on the bus in 15 minutes!"

Slacker - One who works as little as possible, more than a poser, yes less than an actual stagehand/roadie.

Starmaker - any reverb or delay effect used on lead vocal. Usage: "That guy definitely needs more 'starmaker' on his mic."

Suck Button - A switch, knob, fader, etc. on the mixing console that does absolutely nothing, but is used to threaten the band. (i.e. I'll push the suck button on your channel.) For a better effect, it should be labeled with a label maker

Swag - A term that comes from the olden days in Australia... A salesman would walk for miles to sell his goods to the aboriginal people and those in distant towns.. he would carry his goods in a bag over his shoulder and by the time he got to town, he would have a definite "Swagger" to his step from carrying the weight all day.. Hence "Swag" means commercial goods, trinkets, souvenirs,clothing..etc. Acronyms: Something We All Get, Sex With A Groupie, Scientific Wild Ass Guess, Shit Whiners Ain't Gettin, Shit Weasels Always Get, Stolen Without A Gun

Swag Fag - See Cotton Tech

TRS - Abbreviation of "tip - ring - sleeve". A jack connector typically used for balanced lines and console insert points

West coast over-under - The preferred method of returning video cables not on reels to a transportable condition

...World - Guitar World, Monitor World, etc. Anything World means an area. "That crap lives over there in Monitor World"

Zero Out - "Zero out" (verb) or "zeroed out" (past tense): Removing the masking tape that labels the channel-to-instrument designation at the bottom of the sound board table. "...
    Last edited by CloseToTheEdge; January 6th, 2007 at 10:33 AM.
    ȻΘϨ₸Θ₸HɖƓ
    a.k.a. Randy Brewer
    http://bespokerecording.com
    CAPE 10 - Team Witty Placard
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Drummer with a girlfriend...has home!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Rochester, NY
    Posts 473
    Rep Power 536871056

Dildo - Female to Female cable connector

Also a phase plug.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,583
    Rep Power 536871093

These are probably mostly UK-based gigisms, but hey...

For those who work in the warehouse:

LMDC - That phonecall just as you're about to leave that asks for a full FOH & monitor system to be prepped for some dick who couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery (Last Minute Dot Com).

Numpty/Chimp - Work experience student.

For everyone else:

Get In/Out - see as load in/out

Comedy Gig - A gig where everything's gone so badly that everyone's past caring and are just laughing at the state of it all.

Belgian
    - Upside down. Usually applied to flightcases when packing a truck. "If we Belgian that cube it'll fit in that gap."

Cube - Smallish cable trunk. Not usually cube-shaped.

Lampy
    - Lighting engineer.

Shank - To have a shit and a wank simultaneously due to lack of time.

Throw
    - lift (when packing truck): "we'll throw that cube up there"

Fuck That - Appropriate response to a request to "throw the multi"

Flatpack - A truck pack where nothing is thrown. Love these.

Scotpack - Incredibly tight truck pack.

Call The Pack - Being in the truck deciding how to pack it.

Strop - see Spanset

Spollowfot - Followspot

Distro
    - Mains distribution unit. One hefty input, lots of smaller outputs, each with it's ownt trip. Usually has a main RCD and trip as well.

Trap - Under floor cable run, much like a trapdoor.

AC/DC stack - Stacking all the subs for a gig together in one massive pile.

Headroom
    - Distance from floor to underside of mixing desk.

Hatchback Reversing Into A Music Shop - A crap band.

Trainwreck - see above

Turd Polish
    - Generically used for lots of things, but usually EQ.

Fine adjuster - Hammer

Irish Screwdriver - see above

One-legged
    - mic cable where one of the cores has become disconnected, resulting in a very low level, thin sounding signal, usually accompanied by a buzz.

Toys
    - "Non-standard" outboard; expensive pres etc.

Blundermen
    - White glovers who really don't know wtf they're doing.

Rat's Nest - Mess of intertwined cables. Usually created by Lampies.

Pick - a motor or strop purely for hanging cables off

VT - Video/AV world

VOG - Voice Of God; usually a switch mic kept on the desk for announcements/general shouting at people.

TTS - Talk To Stage; similar to VOG, used to talk to the artists or anyone else on stage.

Shout - Small speaker/mic system (e.g. a JBL Control 1 and a spare SM58 or switch mic) set up between FOH and stage/monitor world which is used for comms purposes without the need to put a headset on.

Talent
    - 1. The band/artist 2. Attractive womenfolk wandering around.

Corporate - Messy, bitty, pain-in-the-arse gigs that one supposedly gets more money for doing.

Rock N' Roll - Unfortunately this doesn't just mean Rock N' Roll. Any band-type gig with a stage, a band, and two stacks/hangs of PA either side of it.

Corporoll - Somewhere in between the two. Orchestral stuff seems to be like this.

Easytilt
    - Metal frame device to make tipping monstrous desks somewhat easier.

Do The Shepherd's Trick - Get The Flock Out Of Here; go home.

Shoot - Use software to figure out the optimum angle and height for a line array.
    Last edited by AxeSlash; March 18th, 2007 at 02:17 AM.
    I'm probably talking shit.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Drummer with a girlfriend...has home!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Rochester, NY
    Posts 473
    Rep Power 536871056

Throw[/B] - lift (when packing truck): "we'll throw that cube up there"
    We say "Float" for that.

Someone mentioned "Fucking the Monkey" Monkey-fucking, is also using a lit cigarette that's almost finished to light a fresh one, for when you really need more nicotine but are running short on time.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Oh! "Mock Chicken" joke was about metric system!
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 48
    Rep Power 53051913

Hello, a few I've come across:

Pick: Several cables, taped together. Could be a motor pick or several speaker cables...and others.

Loom: like a Pick, except it exists on the truss and is generally an elaborate group of cables intended to adequately supply data and power to your lighting.

Bead: a small strip of E-tape used to secure a cable to a pipe or truss... or whatever.

Sash: String used to tie up your cables after wrapping them.

"NO FLIP": If you value your job, don't fkin turn this case off it's wheels!

"Hollywood Pack": A truck packed so that it can all roll right off; no stacked cases, nothing flipped. Hardly ever happens.

"Over/Over": Method of wrapping cables where one continuously twists the cable in the same direction, as opposed to "Over/Under". Superiority of either method controversial to some; always ask if it ain't your cable.
    Last edited by Psyko/Acoustics; July 23rd, 2007 at 03:28 AM.
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Real purdy mouth
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location At the console, or cleaning the toilet
    Posts 1,210
    Rep Power 536871079

Roach Coach: Catering

Fresh Meat: Newbie on the gig.

Flipper: (audio) A (usually short) XLR cable that has the hot and neutral leads hardwire reversed.

Isoblock or Iso: (audio) Small device or (usually short) XLR cable that has the ground wire lifted.

Jesus Box:
    Similar to a tech box, except that it is usually has virtually every type of connector converter and patch cable combination known to mankind. Derived from having one of these will save your ass.

Ears: In Ear Monitors - see IEM previous

Barf Blocker:
    Windscreen
    Join Date May 2008
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 113

GIG-BUTT

chaffing of ones buttocks caused by sweat dripping between butt cheeks normally affects riggers locals and other active crew members,remedies cold slices of ham strategically placed in ones under garments!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,583
    Rep Power 536871093

TRS - Abbreviation of "tip - ring - sleeve". A jack connector typically used for balanced lines and console insert points
    Never ask a lampy for a TRS though...you'll get a length of 15A cable here in the UK. Technically TRS is the cable it's made from, not the connectors, so occasionally you will hear someone talk about 16A/32A TRS etc...

TRS in the audio world is of course a jack...

Some more:

Kennel - also known as the 'Backbox' - the box at the back of the desk which houses all the patch/multipin panels/PSU cable etc etc

High Quality (insert type of equipment here) - e.g. "High Quality Amp" means an amp that was industry-standard 20 years ago, and is now well past it's best and usually needs a service before and after every gig it does.

DFA Unit - much like the DFA knob, but the next logical step; i.e. a 2/3/4U (the bigger the better) rack unit with a number of LEDs (preferably flashing) and knobs (different size and colours) on it. The more the merrier. Ideally all different colours. Can be combined with the Magic Touch to provide more Starmaker without affecting the FOH mix. Or the monitors, for that matter.

Man It - damn near breaking one's back by lifting a case on your own because there's no fucker around to help. Derived from the term "that's a MAN'S flightcase!" It shouldn't happen, but it does occasionally. Usually when there's a panic on.

Shit Sheet - list of gear going on the job

Black Tat - smallish piece of black cloth (usually an offcut from a drape) that can be used to cover over unsightly looking equipment on corporate jobs.

Tat - crap gear and/or cloth

A Bag Of Shit - what crap gear sounds like

Listening With Eyes - what most corporate clients do; also true of most carnival jobs, but in the opposite way - carnival clients want to see hundreds of boxes. Corporate clients want to see no boxes.

The Firewood - the Set (wood/felt panels used as a backdrop on corporate gigs; often have holes for screens/small speakers etc designed into them. Often a pain in the ass)

Gigfoot - 1. coming home an inch taller due to the amount of tape accumulated on your boots; 2. a wheel of a case that has jammed/developed a mind of it's own due to the amount of tape wrapped around it

Quality Control - usually used when comparing gear to Behringer stuff. Comes from the ironic "Behringer Quality Control" sticker found on some older units.

Jamaican Flightcase - cardboard box, often reinforced with gaffa tape

Gender Bender - female-to-female or male-to-male cable

Will To Go On - item often forgotten when packing truck

Bar O' 6 - piece of scaff bar with 6 parcans rigged onto it. Often prewired with socapex connectors on one or both ends, with cables run internally to 6 separate 15A/16A connectors

Meat Rack - frame with wheels that accomodates a number of bars o' 6. Smaller versions also exist for bars o' 4, and some big companies have monitor meat racks for wedges (psychopaths!)

Loose - 1. estimated status of nearby female; 2. not packed in a case or frame when on the truck - e.g. bars o' 6 are 'loose' if they are not on a meat rack. Parcans are 'loose cans' if they are not on a bar o' 6.

Bat - Fart, as in "have you dropped your bat?" Cricket-related, I'm told.

Ghetto - anything slightly dodgy and/or cheap, as in "that's some ghetto PA you've got there"

Ratshit - Ratchet strap

Load strap - poor man's ratchet strap; more difficult to operate and less effective.

The Deck - the floor; not to be confused with 'The Decks' (plural), which are the stage. Or worse, DJ gear.

On The Piss - 1. the state of most outdoor stages, i.e. not level; 2. the location of the crew after the show if there's no load out (i.e. in the pub)

to Squeak Out or Ring Out - to EQ feedback out of the system by slowly cranking the gain on a mic

Shift Some Shit - move some cases

Handball - manually lift/carry something, as opposed to forking something

Humper - see Grunt

Von Porque - the most thoroughly insane engineer you will ever work with. Have you seen my horse?

Blend - mix

Crew Boss - 1. exactly what it sounds like 2. permanent name given to someone who takes this responsibility far too seriously...

Off Cans - comms headset taken off

13/15/16/32/63/125 - abbreviations of "13 amp", "15 amp" etc etc

RCA - phono connector. Yuk.

Soca - 1. carribean musical genre often found at carnivals that requires more sub than is strictly necessary and/or pleasant; 2. abbreviation of 'socapex', as in "run that 20 metre soca across the front of the stage"

To Backwind - to 'over/under' coil a cable.

Junior - small. I.e. a junior PA may be a pair of 150W boxes on sticks and a 4 channel powered mixer

Shed - truck/van/other vehicle that is in bad shape

BOH - Back Of House; term for when the desk has been positioned behind the stage by some clueless joker

NoiseBoys - what the lampies call us in the absence of other good insults

Double Ender - 1. gig where you are both playing and engineering (don't do this!) 2. Sharpie pen that has both a fine end and a thick end (don't buy them, one end leaks and the other dries up)

Liquid Sharpie - the worst idea in existence; only useful if first coated in half a roll of PVC tape to prevent cracking/bursting

Double Bubble - two different gigs in one day

Numptyproofing - colour-coding and labelling

Visqueen - brand name of plastic sheeting often used for waterproofing

Farting - distortion in the bottom end, e.g. a sub amp clipping

Fisting - 1. applying the appropriate splay spacing between the front of Meyer MSL-4s; 2. sexual practice discussed in detail during boring moments of the gig

Handbag - small case, usually with one handle, e.g. microphone box

Pie Case - case that requires one or more 'big lads' to untip.

Riding It - the practice of 'mounting' the back end of an easy tilt to act as a counterbalance for a particularly heavy desk when untipping. Usually results in a crew member suspended 3 feet in the air on an unstable easy tilt, wondering how to get down without damaging themselves or the easy tilt.

GigInABox - single rack containing desk, processing, playback, and amps, all pre-patched. There is a slight variant known as a FOHInABox, which is similar, but without the amps. This is usually reserved for larger consoles that feature rack strip in the case for PSUs/playback/system controllers etc. Becoming more and more common with digital desks.

Blanking Panel - device used to stop blundermen from fucking with a perfectly working rack unless absolutely necessary.
    I'm probably talking shit.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Rochester, NY
    Posts 473
    Rep Power 536871056

The Ham Dam?

Wow, that's one I hadn't heard of before.

I tend to avoid sticking meat in my ass, and go with diaper rash cream or the obligatory preventative Gold Bond.

One thing I've been meaning to try, and inspired by my cycling days, is spandex cycling shorts underneath my regular pants.
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Spend years studying Twisted Sister's chord structure
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Posts 287
    Rep Power 398838603

Throw & Go- Throw up the gear and Go with the show (ie.,no sound check)

Buzz- An affectionate term used by lighting people to identify someone on the sound crew. (Not to be confused with "copping a buzz" or "fixing a buzz" These belong to another lexicon.)

Squint- An affectionate term used by sound people to identify someone on the lighting crew

Winger- The growing ball of tape that is stealthily flung with pin-point accuracy at terminal velocity between crew members. To be effective the Winger appears out of no where and was not thown by me...
    wardrobe malfunction investigator 329 M/S Hen=Mock Chicken!
    Join Date Feb 2009
    Location JHB ZA
    Posts 39
    Rep Power 268435610

Janus Electrical extention cable

Harold smoking a fatty, as in "has anyone seen harold? " "Meeting with Harold Backstage" ect
    an old African proverb states...
    "much silence has mighty noise".
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,389
    Rep Power 402653959

BTW, don't EVER piss your Rigger's off... it'll make for one Looooooooong damn day... and while your shit will be safely hung, it's likely to be a mess to pack and hang the next time... and that ain't worth it!
    What's fun is when your riggers get lazy and take shortcuts and you call them out on it and they have to redo it twice, swearing all the while.

Their fault in the first place, right? But somehow you're the bad guy.
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...
    Join Date Oct 2009
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 97

They are really very cool, very wonderful
    Great work .. really informative .. and thanks a lot for sharing ..
    Glad it works as expected for you
    looking good
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871119

zero out the board - return all knobs back to zero so the mixing board is fully neutral for a new show or mix. it's a polite habit in situations where the show is done and someone else is coming to use that mixing board for the next show. you don't leave knobs every which way for the next guy, you reset the board back to zero.

ps: you don't do this if you are doing the same show night after night and the mix info is needed.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,777
    Rep Power 536871398

Squid - The fan out on the console end of an audio snake.

Kellums Grip - rhe woven wire strain relief at the end of the snake. Comes in three varieties: panel mount on non-removable stage bixes, connector mount on multipin connectors that attach to removable stage boxes, and a type that mount to the cable and feature a wire loop to strain relief the squid.

Black Hole - a massive power transformer used when your gear doesn't match the AC voltage of the country you're touring in.

Splitter - a microphone splitter to distribute mic signals between FOH, monitors, and sometimes recording or broadcast consoles. May be passive straight through (not good), resistive ( a little better, but still not very good), transformer coupled (very good), or active (best, if well designed). Often built into the main stage box in larger snake systems, may be separate in smaller systems.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Failed snuff radio producer Cock like a KM 84
    Join Date Aug 2007
    Location Somewhere....over the Rainbow
    Posts 1,324
    Rep Power 536871076

zero out the board - return all knobs back to zero so the mixing board is fully neutral for a new show or mix. it's a polite habit in situations where the show is done and someone else is coming to use that mixing board for the next show. you don't leave knobs every which way for the next guy, you reset the board back to zero.

ps: you don't do this if you are doing the same show night after night and the mix info is needed.
    I use the term "normalized"...and you're right, I absolutely detest it when I take the case cover off the board to find channels assigned, eq settings, line pots and pans still adjusted, channel assignment tape still on the board, and ohhhhhh....missing power cords

I make it a point to tear the previous user a new asshole when I come across a situation like this. It's part of their job's responsibility to pack things the way they get them, and there's no room for lazy fucks who don't do the job right.
    Last edited by G cubed; October 5th, 2009 at 01:24 PM.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,777
    Rep Power 536871398

I do it but frankly I don't see it as all that big of a deal if someone before me doesn't think of it - Kinda like leaving the toilet seat up.

Mildly irritating, but no big deal. Certainly not worth getting all bent out of shape about......

Do we know how to say "whatever....."?

'scuse me, I'm a little ineberrated..........
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Rochester, NY
    Posts 473
    Rep Power 536871056

New name for us noiseboyz I heard a few months ago: Decibel Douche.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Rochester, NY
    Posts 473
    Rep Power 536871056

Two games we play once we're all loaded in and in the air:

For the squints: SPIN THE BOTTLE (focus)

For us noiseboyz: SCRATCH N SNIFF (line check)