Thread: MiX iT! 2b – Song Submissions

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871117

Default MiX iT! 2b – Song Submissions

MiX iT! 2 Update

It is now time for everyone to pick the THREE mixes you would like to discuss in depth.

Please visit the Pick 3 Mixes thread to nominate your mix picks.

The mixing phase is now closed + the discussion phase has begun.

Please visit
    the Post It thread to listen to the possibly 98 (!!!) mixes.

And visit the
    Discuss It: Part 1 thread to discuss them.

Please post all non mix discussion questions in the MiX iT! 2 - Q&A thread. Thx!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is for Song Submission posts ONLY please.

MiX iT! 2 - Song Submissions

Sponsored by Kagi Media and Auraleo Advanced Learning

We are now accepting song submissions from anyone who would like to have their song mixed in MiX iT! 2. The song submission period is from today, Monday, December 2, 2007 until Monday, December 10, 2007. (As long as it's Monday in your time zone you're good to go.)

For more info about MiX iT! please see this thread.

Song Submission Requirements
    1. You must be the owner of the recording and have the legal right to allow others to download and mix it.
    2. You must agree to the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License for your tracks. Essentially, you will be allowing others to download your tracks and mix them, but they may not make any money by selling or distributing the mixes or tracks, and they may not alter your work. (See below for more info.)
    3. You must ATTACH an mp3 or m4a (AAC) ruff mix of the song to a post in this thread with the name of the artist and song. (See how to attach files below.)
    4. If your song is chosen by the mixers, you must upload the song's multitrack files as rendered contiguous mono audio files to be hosted by Auraleo Advanced Learning within 48 hours of being selected.
    5. By posting a song in this thread you are consenting to the above terms.

Creative Commons Info

Creative Commons is the license the remix sites are using to do remix events similar to what we're going to do here. The following is an explanation of what Creative Commons is about from CreativeCommons.org.

“Some Rights Reserved”: Building a Layer of Reasonable Copyright

Too often the debate over creative control tends to the extremes. At one pole is a vision of total control — a world in which every last use of a work is regulated and in which “all rights reserved” (and then some) is the norm. At the other end is a vision of anarchy — a world in which creators enjoy a wide range of freedom but are left vulnerable to exploitation. Balance, compromise, and moderation — once the driving forces of a copyright system that valued innovation and protection equally — have become endangered species.

Creative Commons is working to revive them. We use private rights to create public goods: creative works set free for certain uses. Like the free software and open-source movements, our ends are cooperative and community-minded, but our means are voluntary and libertarian. We work to offer creators a best-of-both-worlds way to protect their works while encouraging certain uses of them — to declare “some rights reserved.”
    Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License

Everyone who downloads the chosen song's multitrack files must agree to the terms of Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. Our basic purpose here is to protect the owners of the multitrack audio files from having others use their audio for commercial gain.

This license will grant the following rights to those downloading the tracks. The following is from CreativeCommons.org.

You are free:

to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work

Under the following conditions:
    • Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
    • Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
    • No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.
    • For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.
    • Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
    • Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.
    Attaching Files

To attach your audio file to your post click on the paper clip symbol on the top center of the advanced text editor. In the dialog that pops up click Choose File, select the song, click Choose, and then click Upload to attach the file to your post.

If you have questions or comments about any of the above, please post them in the MiX iT! 2 - Q&A thread.

We look forward to hearing every1's submissions.

Thanx,
    Chris + Charles
    Last edited by Charles Dye; January 8th, 2008 at 06:51 PM.
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location near the river
    Posts 110
    Rep Power 235

Default Re: MiX iT! 2 Song Submissions

Here are two songs by my now defunct band M.P.D.

"Looking At You"

and

"Sexy"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Baddo; December 6th, 2007 at 04:48 PM.
    Hates these rank titles! Wife left with tractor salesman...got John Deere letter
    Join Date Aug 2007
    Location Australia
    Posts 202
    Rep Power 322830835

Sounds like a good idea... here is a solid song roughly mixed and I have the recording files as mono AIFF all synced starting and ending, and I have the rights to the pieces and recordings as well. If the song is chosen (god willing) where and how should I send all the audio? as Auraleo has little on the subject, and well it is a butt load of data to be sending via the net.

Ciao.

Note: a wee bit of amp farm (I know it's wrong) used on the guitar soloing as it was done clean, but it sort of needs to be chunky and dist.
    Attached Files
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location A mix between Michigan and Manhattan
    Posts 16
    Rep Power 117

Hello,
    I just joined this community after one of the members recommended it to me a while ago. Thanks jord(I'm from the fxpansion board). I look forward to chatting with you all and exchanging ideas.

Anyway, what better way to start my posting than posting for this event. Here is a track I did with a good friend, I control the rights to this song and would be glad to enter it for MiX iT.

The song is called, "Give Me A Kiss". It has a lot of familar chord progessions and melody which makes it a good canidate to experiment with different mixes. It was writen by me and the person singing. He isn't the best singer but with a little bit of coaching I was able to get him to sing well. His name is Ronald Payne and wrote the words for his grand daughter and I was compelled to record it. We ended up using a Gefell M990->Aurora Audio GTQ2->Rossetta 200. The guitars were tracked through a Strat->Peavy Classic 30->Royer 121 and 57->GTQ2. Acoustic guitars was a Taylor, miced with AKG 451 EB with the CK1 capsule going into a darker mic pre(Apogee Mini MP) as the GTQ2 can be a bit bright for the Taylor.

The synths are VSTs, and the drums are Fxpansion's BFD, with the Evil Drums expansion pack.

The one thing I will be adding is a mandolin solo in the middle instead of the acoustic guitar solo in the middle. The solo right now is there to provide the melody line that the mandolin will be playing. I haven't dedicated that much time to the mix so far as it was not a paying project, eventually I would like to finish it.
    Attached Files
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Bogota - Colombia
    Posts 2
    Rep Power 117

thx charles

Melodious by Protetrical, (instrumental)

Colombia rigth here ok!!!

bye peace out.......
    Attached Files
    Last edited by smoothboarding; December 7th, 2007 at 06:30 PM.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Location Leicester, UK
    Posts 29
    Rep Power 118

Hi,

I would like to put up for consideration 2 songs that my cowriter and I have been working on as part of a project we are doing and that I am sure could be mixed much better than I have done. It would be great to see how the pro's do it and use techniques learnt from it on my mixes for the rest of the project and future projects.

I own the rights to the tracks etc and am happy to abide by the rules etc.

The tracks were recorded on a protools 002 rack system using fairly budget micrphones. Cad mikes for the drums with nt5 as overheads. Sm57 for guitars through Marshall amp.Accoustic Yamaha recorded with se1. Bass through bass pod and vox through se1. The premamp was a focusrite octopre.

Both songs under the name of The Sofa Project. Song one "The Lonesome Party Hero" and song 2 "Outside"

Many Thanks

Booman
    Attached Files
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Snarfer extraordinaire
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Perth, Western Australia
    Posts 273
    Rep Power 536871048

Thanks Charles.

"Senior" by Myles Vincent

www.myspace.com/mylesvincent
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Charles Dye; December 18th, 2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: fixed song title spelling
    "Yep there are delays and also an old 910 harmoniser on the snare on that album, with the feedback turned up and pitched down to give some length to the snare on BIB. Pretty standard trick in them olden days" - Mike Shipley
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871117

Great job, every1!

Song submissions are closed + mixer sign ups have begun.

Please visit the MiX iT! 2 - Sign Up to Mix thread to participate.

Thanx!
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X