Thread: MiX iT! 2d - Download + Mix It

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871118

Default MiX iT! 2d - Download + Mix It

MiX iT! 2 Update

It is now time for everyone to pick the THREE mixes you would like to discuss in depth.

Please visit the Pick 3 Mixes thread to nominate your mix picks.

The mixing phase is now closed + the discussion phase has begun.

Please visit
    the Post It thread to listen to the possibly 98 (!!!) mixes.

And visit the
    Discuss It: Part 1 thread to discuss them.

Please post all non mix discussion questions in the MiX iT! 2 - Q&A thread. Thx!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MiX iT! 2 - Download + Mix It

Sponsored by Kagi Media and Auraleo Advanced Learning

Sign ups are now closed + we'd like to thank all of you who signed up for MiX iT! 2. We have 95 mixers this time! In this thread you'll find the links to download the files + the rules for the Mixing phase.

Timeframe
    • You have 1 week starting now until Wednesday, December 26, 2007 to download the files.
    • You have 2 weeks starting now until Wednesday, January 2, 2008 to complete your mix.
    • We do not want you to upload your mix during these 2 weeks. There will be a dedicated thread for this starting on Wednesday, January 2, 2008 at which point you will have 48 hours to upload your MIX, until Friday, January 4, 2008.

The Song

The song you are about to MIX and which has won the submissions poll is:

Seņor - by Myles Vincent

Myles Vincent on MySpace

Thank you very much Myles Vincent for providing the multitrack masters of your song + allowing us to mix it. You guyz rock!!

MiX iT RULES

Imagine the following scenario : You get a phone call from one of the band members from Myles Vincent. They want you to mix a track called 'Seņor'. All tracking and editing has been done and now they want YOU to do a great MIX for them. And that is exactly what we want you to do ... MiX iT!
    1. You may mix the song using any tools you like (software or hardware).
    2. You may use sample replacement for the drums.
    3. Time or Pitch correction tools are NOT allowed.
      This event is about mixing, and that is what we want to focus on. While pitch or time correction tools may or may not find their way into your daily work flow, it is our strong opinion that these are not mixing tools. We think there is more to learn by working with the source files as they come. This event is first and foremost a learning experience.
    4. The only 'editing' exception we would like to allow is this : You can make creative arrangement decisions as long as you use the original audio files.
    5. You will provide us with a stereo mix (m4a, m4p, or AAC @ 160 Kbps) and a zipped version of your project/session file (if mixed with DAW), or jpgs of hardware settings (if mixed on console + OBG).

Download Info

In order to proceed you will have to download the audio files using the link below.
    • Download size: zipped approx 131 MB
    • After unzipping you will find 20 files in FLAC format (see below for more info on FLAC).
    • After decoding the files from FLAC to WAV (or AIFF) you will have 20 rendered contiguous multi-track mono audio files @ 44.1k / 16 bit. Total size: approx 693 MB
    • The files will be available for download for only 1 week until Wednesday, December 26, 2007.

You may download the file ONLY if you signed up for MiX iT! 2.

--> CLICK HERE TO AGREE TO CC-BY-NC-ND 3.0 TERMS + DOWNLOAD FLAC FILES <--

When you click the link to download the
    files you will need to enter:

Username: mixit
    Password: auraleo

UPDATED: WAV Version of seniorov1.wav File that May Be Corrupted in FLAC Version Above:

--> CLICK HERE TO AGREE TO CC-BY-NC-ND 3.0 TERMS + DOWNLOAD seniorov1.wav FILE <--

Alternate WavPack Version (Hosted by danbee. Thnx D!!):

--> CLICK HERE TO AGREE TO CC-BY-NC-ND 3.0 TERMS + DOWNLOAD WAVPACK FILES <--

By downloading either the FLAC or WavPack files above you agree to the terms of the
    Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License

FLAC

FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, an audio format similar to MP3, but lossless, meaning that audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in quality. This is similar to how Zip works, except with FLAC you will get much better compression because it is designed specifically for audio. FLAC stands out as the fastest and most widely supported lossless audio codec. Visit their website for more info.

We recommend these apps to decode FLAC files:

Windows: FLAC for Windows 1.21b
    (Note for Vista users: if the installer is getting stuck, try this workaround)
    Mac: xACT 1.62

Some other options: FLAC Downloads

Participants

The MiX iT! 2 participants are everyone who signed up in the MiX iT! 2- Sign Up to Mix thread. All participants have agreed to the terms listed in that thread.

Let's start mixing + learning!!

Thanx,
    Chris + Charles
    Last edited by Charles Dye; January 8th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Baton Rouge, La
    Posts 744
    Rep Power 536871058

Default Re: MiX iT! 2 - Download + Mix It

Groovy!
    Congrats on being the chosen one, Mr. Vincent!

Now to get started!!!

 Certified iPod Trainer

Hard Rock with Logic

Superior Drummer 2.0 Explained
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee Groovin'...on a sunny afternoon
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location UK
    Posts 887
    Rep Power 536871065

Well I didn't read the small (O.K it wasn't that small) print and now I realise that I wont be able to submit a mix. The studio where I rent a room shuts in between dec 23 - 2nd jan

I can still download, have a listen and join in the discussions right?

Maybe next time.......
    Cheers.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871118

Absolutely!! We'd love to have your input.

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Location BRF, WI
    Posts 15
    Rep Power 120

nice got the download can't wait to get er back and "UnFlack" it thanks Vincent sounds like it's gonna be a fun song to work on.
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Yellow Submarine
    Posts 584
    Rep Power 536871056

I'm noticing some dropouts in the overheads - is this due to the compression/decompression thing or just a screw up in the tracking?
    You can hear some of my work at http://www.thedubnicks.com - feedback appreciated!

"Think of a creative way around your problem and keep your money in your pocket." - Robert Rodriguez from his "10 Minute Film School" mini-doc on the making of his first, $7000 budget movie, El Mariachi.

"Life is work, and the reward for doing that work is more work. More difficult and beautiful work." - Andrew Wagner, director of "Starting Out In The Evening" from the film's commentary track.
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Posts 584
    Rep Power 536871056

Also - something sounds really wrong with the violin file - is that just how it is? One last thing - no hi hat? Thanks in advance.
    You can hear some of my work at http://www.thedubnicks.com - feedback appreciated!

"Think of a creative way around your problem and keep your money in your pocket." - Robert Rodriguez from his "10 Minute Film School" mini-doc on the making of his first, $7000 budget movie, El Mariachi.

"Life is work, and the reward for doing that work is more work. More difficult and beautiful work." - Andrew Wagner, director of "Starting Out In The Evening" from the film's commentary track.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871118

knightsy (who originally mixed it, but did not record it) might be able to answer these questions.

But it should not be cuza FLAC. It's a lossless audio codec.

knightsy, can ya share some insight?

just a minute...where's that damn capo? Better off without a wife
    Join Date Aug 2007
    Location Ottawa, Canada
    Posts 162
    Rep Power 342799372

You will provide us with a stereo mix (m4a, m4p, or AAC @ 160 Kbps) and a zipped version of your project/session file (if mixed with DAW), or jpgs of hardware settings (if mixed on console + OBG
    Will mp3 be acceptable? If not, what's the usual XP tool used to create m4a/m4p/AAC?
    ...Mike.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871118

iTunes. There are other apps, but I use iTunes.

just a minute...where's that damn capo? Better off without a wife
    Join Date Aug 2007
    Location Ottawa, Canada
    Posts 162
    Rep Power 342799372

...Mike.
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Snarfer extraordinaire
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Perth, Western Australia
    Posts 273
    Rep Power 536871049

Also - something sounds really wrong with the violin file - is that just how it is? One last thing - no hi hat? Thanks in advance.
    Yep, noise all over the violin track. I had to deal with it, so you guys will too!

There's no hi-hat track. I will investigate this issue with the overheads right now.
    "Yep there are delays and also an old 910 harmoniser on the snare on that album, with the feedback turned up and pitched down to give some length to the snare on BIB. Pretty standard trick in them olden days" - Mike Shipley
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 273
    Rep Power 536871049

I'm noticing some dropouts in the overheads - is this due to the compression/decompression thing or just a screw up in the tracking?
    Okay... "some" dropouts? I can only hear one on one of the tracks.... can you hear more? If you're hearing more than me then I'm not sure, maybe it's a decoding issue.

Anyone else hearing any dropouts on any other tracks? Better speak up now so we can get this thing sorted.
    "Yep there are delays and also an old 910 harmoniser on the snare on that album, with the feedback turned up and pitched down to give some length to the snare on BIB. Pretty standard trick in them olden days" - Mike Shipley
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song Saw Yentle 46 times
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217868

Will mp3 be acceptable? If not, what's the usual XP tool used to create m4a/m4p/AAC?
    I'll get this in now. Anybody on Windows who needs to encode to AAC and doesn't want to install iTunes can use this.

http://www.nero.com/enu/nero-aac-codec.html

It's a command line app, but it's pretty easy to use and produces excellent quality files, on par with or better than the iTunes encoder.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 273
    Rep Power 536871049

Dubnick have you extracted the flac file to wav yet? I'm hearing the dropout in the flac, but I don't hear it after it's extracted.
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217868

I have read about issues with FLAC and 24-bit files, but I believe these were fixed in 1.2 or 1.2.1.

If you are playing them with a player that uses an earlier version of the FLAC library this could cause problems with playback.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator "Mock Chicken" joke?...could be American.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location UK
    Posts 41
    Rep Power 265747662

"Senor I'd go to war for your daughter..."

Hey. I bloody love this song...and I didn't even vote for it....

That is all.

-Evil Jack
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Posts 584
    Rep Power 536871056

Dubnick have you extracted the flac file to wav yet? I'm hearing the dropout in the flac, but I don't hear it after it's extracted.
    I'm hearing it post extraction to Wav. Maybe I'll re-extract just the overheads again - I was putzing around with the tracks in a hurry last night before I had to go somewhere and a lot of that time I just had the first few bars/w drums looping, so it's very possible that it only happens that once - in the first few bars of the drums, correct? It is pretty noticable and I would just fly in another section where something similar is played, but it's not allowed I guess, huh. Just out of curiousity, do you know how those overheads were mic'd? Also, I don't have it in front of me but there's a bass track that ends with "con" in the name - most of the track names are pretty self explanitory but that one wasn't - does it stand for condensor mic? Thanks.

Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217868

I'm hearing it post extraction to Wav.
    What are you using to decode the files? Are you definitely using the most recent version of FLAC?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871118

I'll get this in now. Anybody on Windows who needs to encode to AAC and doesn't want to install iTunes can use this.

http://www.nero.com/enu/nero-aac-codec.html

It's a command line app, but it's pretty easy to use and produces excellent quality files, on par with or better than the iTunes encoder.
    Cool + thanks!

I knew "not wanting to install iTunes" was an issue for some, but I didn't want to recommend an encoder I didn't have experience with.

So, muchas gracias.