Thread: CAPE Catastrophe - a CAPE primer

Martini Drinker Van Morrison's enunciation coach
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,209
    Rep Power 2500000000

Default CAPE Catastrophe - a CAPE primer

a CAPE primer compiled by Otek & Goes211

CAPE Catastrophe is a place off the coast of Adelaide, Australia, but it's quite interesting how much of the history and lore of the place can be applied to the realities of a certain familiar online project.

Shipwrecks or train wrecks, it's all the same to me. But the truth is, many a tragedy could have been avoided, had the involved parties taken a little time to immerse themselves in basic knowledge before immersing themselves in the wild waters of CAPE Catastrophe.

"...no more than two out of the eight people being at all expert in swimming, it was much feared that most of them would be lost."
    Captain Matthew Flinders, HMS Investigator, 1802

So, in this primer, we hope to offer some basic advice on the most common problems of online collaborations. It is our hope that you will all end up being better swimmers in the end, and have an enjoyable CAPE experience.

Otek
    Over the past years, the amazing thing that is CAPE has been a source of great music, great friendships, heated debates and blazing flamefests. This thing called music we are so passionate about is done here with a twist. Creating music when all the band members are separated by a continent, an ocean or a combination of both with 9 time-zones in between can be the best time you'll experience in a while. However, It can also be complicated (hell, it's already complicated when all the band members are in the same room...). The object of this CAPE 101 is to raise a few points and concepts which will hopefully make your life easier should you decide to sign up.

Lest this sounds redundant, pedantic, condescending bordering patronizing, please keep in mind that all the remarks hereunder are based on stuff which happened on a number of teams during the last 3 CAPEs, not necessarily - but not excluding - our own. That being said...

Before you sign up for CAPE, you might want to consider a few concepts :

time (or are you REALLY available):

-----------------------

are you ready to spend anywhere between 4 hours and 4 days working on a musical project in the coming 3 months ? If you're a jedi at your instrument and you're assigned the task of turning in some, say, guitar parts, you could very well be done in a couple hours. Double that if, for instance, a second or different version of the tune is in the pipeline. 4 hours. I've personally witnessed people on several teams over the first 3 CAPE's who couldn't put in 4 hours over the course of 3 months. I don't care who you are : NOBODY is that busy. If that's the case : DON'T SIGN UP ! You'll just be a dead weight for the team.

CAPE is a fantastic opportunity to get a feel of what it's like to be called in on a session as a musician. There are cool people, funny people, not quite so cool people, assholes, etc... but YOU gotta make it work. You gotta be a team player, put yourself at the service of the song. You need to learn to understand what's being asked, and get there fast. You have to learn to communicate. Which brings us to...

communication :
    -----------------------
    THE key factor. You have no excuse to be incommunicado these days. E-mail, PM's, Skype, phone, private forum...whatever. Your team is going to move along at a team's pace. Not necessarily yours. It might be too slow or too fast for your taste. A good point man (or producer) will give everyone plenty of ahead warning of deadlines and will coordinate the progress. CAPE happens to be real life : during CAPE I've seen people get gigs they didn't expect, lose their jobs, have babies, lose loved ones. If your boss calls on you for extra overtime duty and you can't make your team's deadline, that's perfectly understandable. Not sending your team a brief e-mail, PM or Skype-call is not only uncool and impolite, it's unprofessional. If you have time to surf here, you have time to send your teammates a little note. CAPE is like a real-life session. Don't show up once and MAYBE you might get lucky if you're called again. Don't show up twice and you're off people's phone list. And it's your own fucking fault.

Let's hear it again for Skype, which is already being used by many folks to talk, chat and exchange files cross-continents, F.F.F. (For Fucking Free). It's not intrusive and 'cleaner' than other apps like MSN. I remember one participant telling me "What ? A new app ? Like I don't have enough crap on my computer..." well...I say ask around. Skype works great, and it's easy. You're going to need some sort of headset and multimedia mic, all of which might set you back as much as 5 $. We're not talking hi-fi, we're talking COMMUNICATION (mind you, the quality of the audio on Skype is often superior to a regular phone). And you need a half-way decent internet connection. You have that already covered if you sign up for an internet collaboration thing like CAPE, right ?

And while we're on the subject, one of the reasons to keep hammering on something like Skype is that a live discussion beats a thousand e-mails. What do you do when you want to clear up a misunderstanding ? You call people. All the discussions which occur when recording a song are hard enough to communicate when face to face with another person. It's EXTREMELY complicated when you have to write it down. It's also time consuming. Also, a very simple remark written down can often come across as a cold, rough comment, whereas the same remark told live can contain all the needed nuances we use to avoid coming across as assholes. And while some amount of thick skin is required to survive, a more friendly or simply courteous approach certainly won't hurt.

I believe the Womb will set up each Team with its own private forum right here, invisible to others so you can discuss all issues between teammates. It does simplify a lot of stuff as the team has only ONE headquarter to check on instead of several various ones.

file transfer 101 :
    -----------------------

You'd be amazed at the number of people who sign up and then can't "access the internet", don't know how to log onto an ftp server, or have no idea how to send someone a track besides regular e-mail. Before we look at the various options, you might want to consider compressing the size of the files you will be sending in order to save some space and upload/download time with an archive proggy such as Zip or Rar. Just make sure the person on the other side is familiar with it. No point in using your last super-duper compression setting if no one else has access to the decompressing app. Cross-platform decompression (like between mac and pc) can be tricky.
    Now let's review the various available options for sending files :

- ftp server (ftp stands for File Transfer Protocol) : this means one of you on the team has access to some hosting webspace. It is by far the most elegant solution. If your team members can set it up, all it takes is an ftp client software (I like TotalCommander, but there are free apps like Fireftp for Firefox or Cyberduck for Mac ), a login and a password and presto, you're in business. Basically, what you'll be doing is dragging and dropping your files from a folder on your puter into a folder on another puter when you upload, vice-versa when you download.

- web links : only the sender needs an actual ftp server, client and some web space. The sender uploads the file to his own webspace and directory of his choice. He can then send his mates a link such as http://www.myweb.com/music/CAPE/xytar01.wav
    which they can right-click/save as (or ctrl-click/save as on Mac).

- free temporary web hosting : it's easy, and it's FREE : http://www.yousendit.com. This website will allow you to upload up to 100 Mb at a time on THEIR server. You need to enter the recipient's e-mail address, and pick the file(s) to upload from your hard drive. The recipient then receives an automatic e-mail with a link to a web page where he will find a link to your file, ready to be downloaded at his best convenience. Two very small drawbacks : files will stay up for only 2 WEEKS, and you need to leave the webpage open (it can be minimized so you don't actually see it, but it needs to stay open and active) while you download the file. I'm sure other similar solutions exist. But If you're technically impaired or couldn't be bothered, I can't think of an easier and cheaper way.

Otek says :
    There is also a similar service at http://www.sendthisfile.com
    - regular e-mail. Although many incoming mailboxes have very limited max file size (often about 5 mb), so check with the recipient first. Also, a 3.2 mb attached file will possibly inflate to a 4.7 Mb in apps like Outlook Express. Don't ask me why. It just does.

- regular mail. A walkie to the post office. If worst comes to worst, send in a CD with your tracks, in data format (meaning a CD-ROM and not an audio CD). Allow enough time. Have a backup handy. Using regular mail, though, the message you're sending to the internet community and society at large is 'I give up'

The rule at hand here : your teammates may suggest any of these options, and like when dealing with a customer, try to figure out a solution that's convenient for everyone. You may have to install a new app, and inversely, you may have to do some explaining. Just be open and cooperative.

technical guidelines :
    -----------------------

It is assumed that you are familiar with the basic concepts of using a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) of some kind.

- format : during the course of CAPE, the audio making up your song might go back and forth between tape and the digital realm, or it might stay entirely in the 1's and 0's world. In order to work on a project like CAPE (hang on while we ruffle the feathers of many a luddite), the probability that your fabulous work is going to be converted into digital is... rather high, to say the least. This is why we will briefly remind you of :

a. sampling frequency
    b. bit depth
    c. file type : wav and aif (or aiff) are probably the most common type of files readable by most DAW's. Others exist, but if you're concerned about being compatible with the rest of the planet, I would advise you to stick to one of those. A useful variation on wav is bwf (broadcast wav format) which will look just like a regular wav file except it may contain additional info (like a time stamp - see also 'countoff/consolidation' below).

Otek says :
    For a couple of reasons, I would encourage you to work in the .wav file format. It's the only format that is guaranteed readable on 99% of all DAWs.

Goes prefers to work in 48 KHz, because he works professionally around video, where 48 KHz is standard. I personally prefer to work in 44.1. Your choice. There are higher sampling rates available, but I would stay away from that whole can of worms since a) not all systems handle them, and b) the amount of data you have to stream in a mix (not to mention during file transfers) will be considerable anyway.

The .bwf format is also very handy, but make sure all the concerned DAW's can read it.

Also, stereo .wav files can be made split or interleaved. Split files handles as a dual mono file, which enables independent processing, etc. They are given the file extensions .wal and .war (for left and right channels, respectively). Interleaved files are joined and will handle as one file consisting of two channels. Why is this important to you ? Well, not all systems will recognize the 'split' file extensions, and you may have problems uploading the files to your DAW. So, when sending files, be sure to use the interleaved format.
    Your producer will discuss this with your team's mixer and they will decide on a format : STICK. TO. IT. If you're asked to work in 48 kHz/24 bits, using broadcast wav files, create your session or project (or whatever it is called in the app you're using) for the tune with these settings RIGHT NOW !!!

Otek says :
    If you are uncertain of which formats your system can handle or export, how to set format preferences for your DAW, or how to make a file a certain format after the fact, consult your user manual, or notify the pointman BEFORE rendering/bouncing/exporting your final tracks. Chances are, someone else in your team will have this information, or can dig it out for you fast.
    - tempo grid : once the team has agreed on a tune, one of the convenient things to do is agree on the tempo. That means that if you play along to some sort of click, others on the team will be able lock the track to a grid, making it easier to drop in tracks accurately on, say, bar 13. Of course you may elect to work without a click. A live drum track played without a click might fluctuate ever so slightly tempo-wise but still feel great. You will then have the possibility to create a tempo map, which is in fact a grid created on a fluctuating tempo. As far as I know it's a pretty cumbersome and lenghty process. Some apps might do this automatically for you. Anyone ?
    As a sidenote, I would like to say that I don't know ANY good player who has a problem playing to a click. It's a simple matter of habit, and shouldn't be a problem. I recommend using a cowbell (XXL type) for optimum efficiency.

- work files : love 'em or hate 'em, but mp3's are mighty convenient, and will do just fine for work purposes. Their small file size make them easy and fast to upload or download. Try and keep them at a minimum of 192 Kbps so it remains somehow enjoyable to the ear and no one has to suffer too many horrid artefacts (I hate the guy playing the chimes on all 128 Kbps mp3's). It's not essential to save the mp3's at 48 kHz as they'll have to be converted back to wav, bwf or aif in various apps anyway. Plus, I believe some media players simply won't play 48 kHz mp3's. Correct me if I'm wrong. For the record, I received one track which was a 128kbps/22kHz mp3 for a certain track (you read that right, 22 kHz). Can you say "tinkerbell" ?

4 minutes of stereo audio sampled at 44.1 kHz/24 bits will weigh about 40 Mb in wav, and somewhere between 4 or 5 Mb in mp3. Guess which one is most convenient to exchange while throwing ideas around ?

- countoff and track alignment (or the concept of consolidation) :
    If the arrangement calls for your part to only start after the first chorus, you still need to export your track from the BEGINNING of the tune, even if that means, yes, some empty space at the top of the file. Otherwise, the mixer and the other team players are going to have to guess where your track fits. "Well, right after the first chorus, you morons" is NOT sufficient. Do you play slightly ahead of the beat like Sting or deep in the groove's pocket like Bootsy Collins ? How the fuck are WE supposed to know ?

It is a good idea to include a 2 bar countoff on the basic tracks of the tune. You should include this countoff in EVERY DAMN SINGLE bounce/export/render of the tracks you send in (whether they're 'work' mp3's or 'def' files). This makes it easy for everyone to visually align it inside their session/project. Just zoom in and align it to the countoff of the basic track. Of course, once the tempo is decided, I guess we're all going to lock our session to some kind of tempo grid. BUT. It's not that simple. If I bounce a wav file for you guys from inside ProTools exactly on the grid from bar 1, that wav will align perfectly inside your session/project if you just snap it to the grid. However, if I send you an mp3, there might be a problem : for instance, I use Soundforge to convert files, and when doing so, Soundforge adds a few ms to the beginning of my mp3 file (I've had similar problems with files coming from other apps too). If you just convert my mp3 and drop it to lock on your tempo grid, it's going to be off by a few ms. Not good. But, if the countoff is included, you can easily set it right again as explained above. The only possible downside is that when you hit play on 20 tracks which ALL have a countoff, your ears AND your speakers are not going to like it. Just split each file and remove or mute the countoff on all the other tracks.

In the pic below, track 1 is the reference click/countoff, track 2 is your original recorded track edited to your taste, track 3 is the consolidated track you would send your teammates.

Otek says :
    Make sure you are meticulous when positioning the click at the head of the track. It must be dead on. Maybe you cannot hear the difference of being 10 milliseconds off the marker, but I assure you there are musicians among you who can. This is not a celebration of anal retentiveness, even a few milliseconds ahead of or behind the beat changes the feel of the tune.

(Here is a one sample click, that when correctly placed on the grid, will make subsequent alignment a breeze. Basically snap this file to quarter- or eighth-notes, and you're good to go.)
    Another option to save some file space (and therefore speed up transfers) is to export starting from a specific bar in the tune. "Place this track exactly at the start of bar 34" would work just fine. That is, provided you have a tempo-grid to start with.

And finally, you could use time-stamped bwf files (see 'format' above). You should be able to drag these into your DAW at the right time/bar, provided your session start time/offset is the same as in the original session. That shouldn't be a problem, if everybody on the team creates a session starting at 00:00:00:00 time code, for instance.

Otek says :
    When making a revision of the tune (such as attaching a number of bars somewhere, or whatever), ALWAYS make a new 'master mp3', with a count-off, and make that mp3 'it', i.e. void all previous versions and make sure EVERYONE is hip on it.

We learned this the hard way during CAPE II.

If everyone is not referencing to the same version of the tune, the bar count references become useless. I've had people tell me in the team newsgroup that, 'yeah, I laid my part down to the 2nd version of the tune', and we're already on version 6 or whatever. This may not necessitate re-tracking the part (at least not if you're on a tempo grid ! see how useful that is ?), but it will cost the mixer an extra hour or so cutting and splicing.
    - Mac/PC compatibility : I'm not familiar with other apps, but in ProTools, when creating a new session there is a small box titled 'enforce Mac/PC compatibility'. TICK IT. CHECK IT. What's the point of NOT being compatible ? PC's and Macs are just tools. All you should be interested in is that the person you send your files to will be able to read them. Platform wars are for idiots.

- FX and plug-ins : if you are using any effect or plug-in, make sure you leave the mixer some options : print the tracks without fx, print them with fx or print the fx alone (for instance reverbs). If you're having trouble achieving this, don't hesitate and call your team members for help. (This is possibly quite a vast subject. Some people may want to be able to re-amp your guitar tracks, others want you to deliver 'your sound' with all the bells and whistles already on there. There is NO magic formula, and no set rule. Discuss this with the team).

- label your tracks. Give them an obvious name, and if that's not convenient add a small generic text file with some extra info. Avoid spaces in the name as even though most apps can deal with it ftp servers don't like it very much. Also avoid the '&' sign. 'leadvoxgoes.wav' is good. 'audio _31 tcex&Gain.wav' is not.

- back-the-fuck-up. You know how the saying goes "it ain't data unless it's stored in 3 different places". Back up your files. Intermediate, work in progress, whatever. This is where clever file naming will be essential. "My computer crashed" is not an excuse, it's a cop out.

land ahoy ! :
    -----------------------

To end this off, here's a little insight on my own personal view on CAPE and what I expect from it : my goal is to meet and interact with musicians from different horizons. Regardless of our level of musicianship / chops / Jediness, I believe I can learn something from you guys, and I hope I can share something with you in return.
    To this day, I am very much musically involved with a lot of my former CAPE buddies. We write and record tunes together. I send a vocal, a bvox, a lyric, they send me drums, a bass track, a mix or they listen and comment my mixes (and make me realize how much they suck) and generally give me great advice. I get to grow from the experience, and not only in the music dept. On a personal level, I think I can actually say that a few of these people have become close friends of mine. That's much more than can be said of your average internet community.
    I am immensely proud of each and every CAPE tune I have had the chance to work on. But the biggest reward of CAPE for me is that I have been blessed to not only meet a amazing bunch of jedi muso's and AE's, but also a fantastic group of human beings. For that, I thank Mixerman and e_shaun.

Goes211, CAPE navigator

PS : by no means is this primer intended as "the global one and only road map to CAPE". It is merely all we could think of. Please comment, correct and complete.

Otek & Goes211
    Last edited by Goes211; June 6th, 2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location DownUnder
    Posts 1,416
    Rep Power 536871087

Default Re: CAPE Catastrophe - a CAPE primer

OK, I'm ready...

Lost the plot Thinks 'Magnificent Seven' is a porn flick
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Frolicking amongst the hyssops
    Posts 3,080
    Rep Power 0

Oh, Prunella.

Here we go again.
    Martini Drinker Van Morrison's enunciation coach
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,209
    Rep Power 2500000000

Oh, Prunella.

Here we go again.
    Ermm...I guess I'm getting the wrong message here...
    but if the last edition was any indication, a lot of these concepts may still come in very handy, such as the need for communication during online collabs.
    It's one thing not to know, it's another to ignore.

Or perhaps you mean you can't wait to be a part of that madness again.
    Last edited by Goes211; December 12th, 2006 at 03:49 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,080
    Rep Power 0

Or perhaps you mean you can't wait to be a part of that madness again
    Pretty much, yeah

Silly Rabbit Favourite poet is F.X. Enderby
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location DooLooth Georgia
    Posts 123
    Rep Power 67108991

I'm in.. i missed the last one and regretted it, but Goes, I really was too busy!! Now I got that behind me, and I am READY!!
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert Granfaloon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Portsmouth, VA
    Posts 1,078
    Rep Power 536871076

I'm in.. i missed the last one and regretted it, but Goes, I really was too busy!! Now I got that behind me, and I am READY!!
    I have images of:

SECOND KAZOO: Graveleye

Kidding! After all, I would never have more than one kazoo.
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871161

Kidding! After all, I would never have more than one kazoo.

Absolutely not! Put him on nyckelharpa instead.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Portsmouth, VA
    Posts 1,078
    Rep Power 536871076

Absolutely not! Put him on nyckelharpa instead.
    Actually, it's three CAPEs in a row that I've had at least one team with a nyckelharpa. It's just too bad that it only showed up on one of them.

Oh well. We might have a kantele this year.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location DownUnder
    Posts 1,416
    Rep Power 536871087

Actually, it's three CAPEs in a row that I've had at least one team with a nyckelharpa. It's just too bad that it only showed up on one of them.

Oh well. We might have a kantele this year.
    You've lost me, what the f*ck are you talking about???

And what's a nyckelharpa when he's at home?

sea

Forget I asked, I google them, fandangled foreign instruments...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location West Chester, Ohio
    Posts 1,558
    Rep Power 536871092

Forget I asked, I google them, fandangled foreign instruments...
    World, dude, not foreign.
    Tori's Alibi

CAPE III - Team Galactic
    CAPE IV - Team Pantheon
    CAPE V - Team Elemental & Team Milk Carton
    CAPE VI - Team Grapestomper
    CAPE VII - Team Altitude
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,080
    Rep Power 0

Don't listen to spock. He's a foreigner.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location DownUnder
    Posts 1,416
    Rep Power 536871087

Don't listen to spock. He's a foreigner.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In the best swing state in the US
    Posts 5,172
    Rep Power 536871213

regular e-mail. Although many incoming mailboxes have very limited max file size (often about 5 mb), so check with the recipient first. Also, a 3.2 mb attached file will possibly inflate to a 4.7 Mb in apps like Outlook Express. Don't ask me why. It just does.

Gmail has unlimited file sizes....Pm me if anyone wants an invite....
    Peace,

Jerryskid

"...An entire genre of music based around the Hail Mary rescue attempt of an un-compable Cher vocal performance. Who knew? ..."-Dwoz

" Where'd I put my damn Metamucil? When's Paul Harvey coming on? Why are my pants pulled up around my chest?
    " ..Droolbucket

"A blandly designed masterwork that could inspire any reasonable citizen of California to launch a race war."-Chuck Klosterman on the Beatle's White Album

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location DownUnder
    Posts 1,416
    Rep Power 536871087

Ditto, I've got 100 invites left if you run out...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,276
    Rep Power 536871516

Last time I checked, my Gmail was limited to 10 MB files (sending) and had approximately 2.6 GB of storage.

Am I missing something?
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,080
    Rep Power 0

Nope.

10 MB.

FTP is the way to go if somebody has server space.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on You ain't a beauty but hey you're alright.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 76
    Rep Power 2728914

I've always used yousendit.com. free and has always worked like a champ...
    I'm a C- student in my 5th year at Hack University

BUT you can listen to our recordings here:
    The Mosaics on MySpace
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 12
    Rep Power 131

I'm set up with FTP, G Mail, and Yousendit.com

Where the heck do we sign up for this?

2 - Korg D1600s linked for 32 tracks.
    3- Drumsets / 1 of those being a Yamaha DTX Press2 Electronic
    Nady Mics Drum pack
    Behringer B2Pros x 2
    Sm57
    Cool Edit Pro
    And hopefully a new Kick mic for Christmas.

Billy
    Anyone know the number to 911?:Roll eyes:
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Portsmouth, VA
    Posts 1,078
    Rep Power 536871076

Where the heck do we sign up for this?
    See my sig!

Sign-ups start next month.

Announcement soon.