Thread: MiX iT! 2f - Discuss It: Part 1

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871116

Default MiX iT! 2f - Discuss It: Part 1

The discussion threadz are NOT just for the mixers. Everyone is very much encouraged to participate. MiX iT! is an educational event for EVERYBODY.

Please visit the Post It thread to listen to the possibly 98 (!!!) mixes.

MiX iT! 2 Update

It is now time for everyone to pick the THREE mixes you would like to discuss in depth.

Please visit the Pick 3 Mixes thread to nominate your mix picks.

MiX iT! 2 - Discuss It: Part 1

Sponsored by Kagi Media and Auraleo Advanced Learning

Remember, this time we are doing things somewhat differently. We will have two parts to the Discuss It phase. Initially, we will discuss all the mixes for a few days. But next week we will choose THREE mixes to focus on, dissecting + discussing them in much greater detail.

Since there are potentially 98 different mixes for us to discuss, we believe if we tried to do that in the same thread with the posted mixes that it could become a bit confusing. So, our solution is to create this separate thread for the initial discussion.

Timeline

Part 1 of the discussion will be for approx 1 week, until Friday, January 11, 2008.

And in a few days we'll post a thread for you to nominate the three mixes you'd like to discuss in depth.

Discuss It Guidelines

For Part 1 you can discuss anything you would like. But the main purpose is to find out which mixes you would like to discuss more in depth. And when the time comes to pick these three mixes, we would like to encourage you to choose mixes that may be very different from each other in their approach. In their style or platform used.

MiX iT! is 1st + foremost an educational event, + we feel mixes that are done in contrasting styles or using different platforms, will be more educational to compare to each other in Discuss It - Part 2. So, you may want to keep this in mind during your initial discussions.

This should a learning experience for all participants--whether you're a seasoned mixer doing this 24/7, or this is actually your very first mix--you're here to learn. And even if you didn't mix the song you're encouraged to participate in the discussions. This thread is not for MiX iT! mixers only. We would like to hear from all our forum members.

And please remember, positive + constructive criticism or opinions are, more often than not, of more value to both the mixer + the reader than negative comments.

Let's pick three interesting mixes you'd all love to discuss + dissect more in depth.

Thanx!
    Chris + Charles
    Last edited by Charles Dye; January 8th, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928057

Default Re: MiX iT! 2 - Discuss It: Part 1

Already my mix feels boring compared to what's gone up.
    And there's only 4 others so far!
    HAHA.
    Mine is so dry, especially the vocal.
    This would be the context dwoz was talking about.
    I really wasn't thinking "80's" at all when i did this like
    it seems so many others were.
    Interesting.

I think even though mixie will be posting late, his mix should
    be discussed. There's bound to be plenty to learn from it.

Looking forward to hearing the rest.
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Muskegon, MI, USA
    Posts 112
    Rep Power 299455153

The way I had wanted to hear this was somewhere along the lines of "The One I Love" by REM with a little more dirt. I couldn't hear it being quite as muddy as some of the Killers stuff I've heard it compared to.

CaptainHook- I think its prettty universal to not like your own mix as much as others because you know where the weakness lies in your own mix and it's hard to overlook that. I think I'm liking yours the best so far!

Looking forward to hearing more!

Josh
    Holloway on Facebook | CAPE 8- Team Adversity | CAPE 6- Team Normie
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Chile
    Posts 102
    Rep Power 58838691

Captain and Angel, I think you did great Mixs, good balance between instruments,

Angel: excellent DLY!!!
    Captain: probably some weting on vocals would be nice, you're right.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts 30
    Rep Power 120

Like others have mentioned, I was thinking somewhere between U2 and the Killers.

AngelBomb, I liked the subtle ping pong delay thing. I really liked your bass tone- had some grit, but not too much. After listening to the other mixes, I feel I was a little too quick to dismiss the 57 bass track. I made the decision right away to go with a cleaner bass tone (DI + condenser) and I never came back and revisited that. I kind of regret it now. A little more grit to my bass track may have helped a little.

I too am surprised by the number of folks who squashed the heck out of the snare/drums + lots of verb and went with the huge (80’s?) sound.

3holeface, cool “telephone” EQ on the violin. It’s creative and different. I would never have thought of taking that approach.
    Last edited by annex2; January 5th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
    Hates these rank titles! Ends jokes with… That's what she said
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Derbyshire, UK
    Posts 205
    Rep Power 352725033

Default Re: MiX iT! 2 - Post It: Description, Mixes + Files

Just adding in my apologies 'cause my comp crashed a while back and I've been really busy working, which didn't leave me any time to mix :'(

I have a new Mac Pro now though (brought the other day), so if I can find some time I'll bash together a mix and upload it in another thread/send to a mod to ask for it to be added here (if this thread gets locked soon).

Cheers,

Ash
    How bad is you lifestyle when it freaks out Snoop Dog? Ask Amy Winehouse!

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 10.5.8/6.4, 13GB Ram, Digi 002, PT 8.0.4/9, and lots of plugs... mmm!!!

Affiliate - http://multiplatinumprotools.com/cat...e_banner_id=13

CV: http://www.box.net/shared/fpeobmn4k4
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Jewish Rapper... Busta Hymen
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871175

Default Re: MiX iT! 2 - Post It: Description, Mixes + Files

Just adding in my apologies 'cause my comp crashed a while back and I've been really busy working, which didn't leave me any time to mix :'(

I have a new Mac Pro now though (brought the other day), so if I can find some time I'll bash together a mix and upload it in another thread/send to a mod to ask for it to be added here (if this thread gets locked soon).

Cheers,

Ash
    Ash, the deadline was changed to Monday, so there's still some
    time for a proper mix.
    I hope to start mine tomorrow (knock on wood).

Mac

Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Wellington, NZ
    Posts 21
    Rep Power 65094572

Hehe, Captain Hook (esp. his bass) and Danbee (esp. his snare and toms) are my favourites so far. Both great mixes with an agressive punchy sound. 3holeface was also up there too.

I really like the creative touches, like meloco's new intro, and bonny billy's reverb/FX on the guitar/violin in the "growing up" section.

Any favourable impressions I had of my own mix are dissolving fast!
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Digs Ditches
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Posts 50
    Rep Power 132203450

For what it’s worth here are my thoughts on the first 23 mixes I’ve listen too. I’d like to say, when you read these comments please keep the following in mind: I have absolutely NO mixing credentials. I listened to each mix once and jotted down thoughts as I was listening. I listened to all tracks on my computer using JBL computer speakers at the same volume. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to listen to some of them a little more and view some of project files.

CaptinHook – Tight drums and nice snare. Started to lose vox during ver2. I liked the Gtr break after breakdown. Liked pad strings after last chorus.

EvilJack – Very good write up. Liked tom toms and big drums in beginning. Track kind of thin. Would have liked more bass. Liked some of the Vox track effects and blends.

NormanNormad – Bass to thin. Too much phone effect on Ver2. Liked it but would have liked to hear a lot less of it.

AngelBomb – Echo not working for me. Perhaps if there was less. Like the last Gtr part.

Nizzle – Vox sounds distant. Some of the echo was good. Liked the BD sound and feel.

Tnelson494 – Vox too hot or maybe drums are too low. Can’t hear the bass.

ChrisJ – Vox to up front for me. Needs bigger bass. Vox to dry, maybe wetter would set it into track better.

Annex2 – Nice write up! Kind of liked the drums, Ver1. Thought Vox was a bit distant in the first verse.

DeMontague – Bass kind of muddy. Liked the vox sound. Vox kind of buried in the 2nd chorus.

JFranze – Liked bass and drums. Liked balance of hats in ver2. 2nd chorus was strange, perhaps the keys drop out? New break arrangement was nice. Thought the ending was a bit weak. Solid track.

Argylesox64 – Great write-up. Liked Gtrs on ver1. Not sure about Vox, sounds like 2 singers. Solid/big mix. Love BD sound. Gtr leads a bit distant. I didn’t care for the ending.

VonRaddatz – BD is sounds odd to me. Not enough bass. Seems like the drums are pumping?

MicTayler – Full sound. Harmony on ver1 is different, I like it. Liked the way you tied the lick into the last chorus. Liked the ending except for the last hit. Wished for more excitement in the track.

Danbee – Liked open Rock sound. Would have liked more solid bass in verses. Very consistent mix with good energy.

Maarten1945 – Thin vers1. Other than Vox the tracks sound distant to me. Mix didn’t gel for me.

Bonnybilly – Liked intro, I would have liked to hear more of it. Vox a bit low on ver1. Drums don’t seem to blend into track.

24bit441 – Kinda like intro Gtrs. Drums thin on vers1. Ver2 Vox sounds hollow. Need more bottom on BD and Bass. Breakdown seemed empty and then track gets kind of lost on the build up.

Baeli – This guy sucks.

Meloco – Intro was good. Ver1 just sits there. Too much echo for me.

Musicdog – I couldn’t get this mix to play on my system.

Daunt – Ver1, where’s the bass? Like solid BD, would have liked more bass to ride with it. Liked the ehco but would have liked to hear it on only one phrase. Overall I liked the track but found the BD a little distracting.

Princeton – Too much tele effect for me. With that said I really like the sound of the effect ending and the normal Vox starting. Snare is abit thin. Ending was very interesting. The splice in the end sounds unnatural. Really liked parts of this mix.

3holeface – Liked toms, maybe could have blended into track better. Vox gets a little buried in 2nd chorus. Loved driving bass.

Later.....
    Baeli
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Location Ogden, Utah
    Posts 6
    Rep Power 116

Wow! Isn’t this cool? I love hearing all the different mix styles to the same song. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the mixes and hopefully hearing some way off the wall approaches. Seems like someone mentioned that they were going for a Nine Inch Nails style mix (can’t wait to hear that one). CaptianHook this is all about learning from the different methods used to mix the same song. I’m happy that some mixers like you went for more of a dry/raw sound. Thanks for the comments Baeli. Yeah I’m with you on the ending, and on the vocals I just wanted to do something a little different. Bye the way I really love your vocals, nicely placed up front!!! And way cool guitars after the bridge going into the build. I couldn’t get Musicdog’s to play either. Take care everyone!!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928057

CaptinHook – Started to lose vox during ver2.
    Son of a bitch.
    I spent a good time trying to make sure the vocal was clear
    during the whole song after mixie's critique last time.
    *cough*mixitmentorversions*cough*

And i failed again.
    HAHA.

Oh well, bring on round 3!

Thanks for taking the time Baeli.
    I've got about half the mixes to still listen to!

So far, it seems like less of the mixes are so similar as last time.
    But i'm listening on headphones so that observation doesn't
    mean much.
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

wardrobe malfunction investigator "Mock Chicken" joke?...could be American.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location UK
    Posts 41
    Rep Power 265747660

Holy crap - my mix really does sound thin!

Either it's these unfamiliar monitors I was using, or my left ear was more blocked than I thought!

I'm gonna put it up on my regular system on Monday, and take another listen.

I mean compared to Peeders (nice job man!) it almost sounds kinda out of phase or something. Weird.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871116

*cough*maybesomeday*cough*
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928057

Haha!
    Thanks Charles.

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 120

Son of a bitch.
    I spent a good time trying to make sure the vocal was clear
    during the whole song after mixie's critique last time.
    *cough*mixitmentorversions*cough*

And i failed again.
    HAHA.
    I think you're beatin yourself up too much. I think your mix is the best in terms of overall balances...both EQ and compression... to my ears it sounds very pro. Because it's so dry, your mix sounds like a really great live mix of the band. I think if we just added some of the "spices" we're hearing from the other mixes to your mix it'd be knock out.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928057

your mix sounds like a really great live mix of the band.
    Funny, live is where i really cut my teeth and i've spent the large
    majority of my studio time trying to recreate what i could get
    happening live.

It's funny how forgiving 'live' can actually be.
    Mixing a band live and they sound GREAT, then taking them
    into the studio to find they actually don't play anywhere
    near as good as they sound live.
    Different animals. Getting side-tracked here.
    Sorry.

Thanks for the kind words.
    I think i may have missed the vibe of the band though
    which means i probably did the worse job.
    I rushed through trying to get a good overall sound
    instead of LISTENING TO THE BAND AND THE SONG.

I'll get it one day. Baby steps.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928057

So far i'm liking Nizzle's.

It suits the band. The FX are cool. Sounds 'exciting' but
    could maybe get fatiguing quickly.
    It's possibly the loudest so far too so maybe i'm
    playing 'program director' here.

I really like the breakdown, it's the only version that violin
    doesn't sound terrible to me.

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Location BRF, WI
    Posts 15
    Rep Power 118

Tnelson494 – Vox too hot or maybe drums are too low. Can’t hear the bass.
    Thanks for taking the time on those observations Baeli, i havn,t had the time to listen to em all yet just got the ones before i posted.
    Ya gotta get my room treated yet, one of the things i keep saying i got to get to but i end up sinking money into something else (plus i have to get the wife to approve of it, it's our front porch).Hoping that'll help and i'm just not tone deaf seems like i gotta print 4 -6 cd's and play on different systems to get it in the ballpark.
    Didn't strap a compressor over my 2 buss still saving for something decent. That might have brought levels a little closer too. Thanks again Charles+Chris
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Sherman Oaks
    Posts 55
    Rep Power 83886217

So far i'm liking Nizzle's.

It suits the band. The FX are cool. Sounds 'exciting' but
    could maybe get fatiguing quickly.
    It's possibly the loudest so far too so maybe i'm
    playing 'program director' here.

I really like the breakdown, it's the only version that violin
    doesn't sound terrible to me.
    ha!

Glad you dig it....FWIW - This mix is ITB and I keep the master buss very very low(-12-15dB peaks)....When bouncing the mix - I did instantiate an L2 on the master buss just to raise the level. There is NO GAIN REDUCTION however.....

This is the way I would submit it to a band for approval AND this is the way I would burn it to an audio disk for me to QC it on my car stereo an other sources...I find keeping my 2 buss levels rather low yield far better sounding mixes for me to deliver to the ME. However, I do believe hitting the preamp of a playback device with a reasonable level is very important.

Glad you dig the mix.

-t
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Tilburg, Netherlands
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 505496568

WOW, D#@%.....

Very different styles and variations to one song. damn, i also need to learn more and more, but that`s why i`m here
    I posted the new version that is working on the formu, so for anyone to grab now.

C-YA

Peter
    Love the music, music your love