Thread: MiX iT! 2f - Discuss It: Part 1

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

Default Re: MiX iT! 2f - Discuss It: Part 1

Meloco: Cool. Always a sucker for backwards intro. Great punchy drums. I like the instrumental mix, but I’m not into the vocal treatment. The double vocals seem to walk over each other rather than supporting. The delays also muddy them a bit. I think if you spent more time finessing the vocals, this mix would be a real contender. Good work. B-
    Thanks! Yeah, I guess the vocal treatment is what I struggle with most when I mix, sometimes I got the idea from the beginning and sometimes I have no clue. It was a second case with this mix and that delays was something that kinda saved the day to me. Usually I would like an input from the band or producer if I found myself in that state.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Posts 56
    Rep Power 0

Phew, I gotta B+! On the bell curve, with one A- and two B+'s handed out, I feel pretty good!

(I think my mix is a bit too mushy and needed more 3KHz, more rolloffs to tighten up the lows, and some other things could have been fixed up e.g. less reverb, but I'm happy enough with it and I don't think I ruined the song. I used no wideners but reverb and pingpong delays. Cheers for all that work reviewing Damon!)
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Location Leicester, UK
    Posts 29
    Rep Power 120

Thanks Damon,

You made my day B+!!!! Great review work. I just wish I had the time to review all the tracks like some of you guys have.

Cheers

Booman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location singletrack
    Posts 437
    Rep Power 536871055

Anduin: Good dynamics right off the bat. Sounds like low-mid boost on snare might have been centered to high – it’s getting a bit boxy. This mix lacks a bit of spark and energy. It’s not bad, but a bit safe. Would have liked to hear more energy from the bass. I didn’t care for the breakdown vocal treatment. It is a bit overdone and “effecty” sounding. I think you did a good job with the guitar treatment.
    Yeah, you nailed it. I'm totally hearing all that now that it's been a few weeks since I mixed it originally. Thanks for the review.
    CAPE 9:

CAPE 8: Team Horizon
    CAPE 6: Team Qwezirider
    CAPE V: Team Omen
    CAPE IV: Team Pantheon
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 123

Yeah, you nailed it. I'm totally hearing all that now that it's been a few weeks since I mixed it originally. Thanks for the review.
    No prob. Glad to know a few are still poking around to read them.

On a side note: I did notice, when listening and then writing these reviews in sequence, I was highly influenced by the previous mix. I tried not to be, but I'm sure that after a poor mix I was likely to grade the next mix higher and vice versa.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts 30
    Rep Power 123

Nice job Norman_Damon! Thank you for taking the time to do this man. Job well done.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 32
    Rep Power 134217856

Thumbs Up! Re: MiX iT! 2 - Discuss It: Part 1

Hey Calvin, this is the info you asked for.
    Sorry for the delay.

Lead Vox ~ sent out to chandler ltd-1. Line input adjusted to
    thicken vocal and output volume compensated.
    (I love the ltd has an output volume, great for driving the pre
    if you want.) I seem to remember using the highcut at 50,
    about 1-2db at 390, 1db 12k shelf...
    He then goes on to say a whole bunch of other stuff.

I just tried applying all these basic fundamentals to a mix I was working on, and it just improved about 500%!

I know your not supposed to 'mix by numbers' but for a beginner like me, it was very helpful to have some 'ballpark' frequencies to look for. I love the point of power/clarity thing.
    I also learned not to use the waves ssl channel on EVERY track with the cla presets :P
    (its mike here from simple day btw)

THanks so much hook, you rule,
    this singular post has been the most helpful thing for my mixes ever. You should write a book or something.

Also thanks to dino and all you other guys,
    im really stoked I managed to find this forum,
    keep up the awesome work everybody.

-Mike
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928060

Default Re: MiX iT! 2 - Discuss It: Part 1

Hey Mike,

Read around, a lot to be learned from heaps of more talented
    people than me. Glad you got something from the mixit event
    though.

Also, i hope you realize the specifics i wrote to calvin were just
    what i did for this song. Hopefully the point of power vs clarity
    and using compression to shape sound meant more to you than
    specifics i did for this song.

Join in for the next round!

Seeya mate.
    Last edited by CaptainHook; March 15th, 2008 at 08:37 AM.
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 32
    Rep Power 134217856

Thumbs Up! Re: MiX iT! 2 - Discuss It: Part 1

Hey Mike,

Read around, a lot to be learned from heaps of more talented
    people than me. Glad you got something from the mixit event
    though.

Also, i hope you realize the specifics i wrote to calvin were just
    what i did for this song. Hopefully the point of power vs clarity
    and using compression to shape sound meant more to you than
    specifics i did for this song.

Join in for the next round!

Seeya mate.

All I know is working off your specifics as starting points made my whole mix open up, full out, and take shape like never before. It's good enough for me, for now.

Yeah im definitely in for next Mixit.
    Cant wait!
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Thinks Ringo's wife is a famous Classical Composer
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Atlanta, GA
    Posts 61
    Rep Power 134217878

Dino: The whole mix sounds high-passed. Wow, this mix is very strange. It sounds like what a mix would sound like if coming through a set of headphones cranked in the corner of the room. I’m not sure how to listen to this. Snare fill into second chorus was a bit overboard. Overall this needs a lot of work – it sounds like your monitoring environment needs to be overhauled possibly. D
    Wow...lowest grade in the class... I would be interested to see your eval of the recall mix http://thewombforums.com/showthread.php?t=6394

I must admit that my original is now painful to go back and listen to.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 123

Wow...lowest grade in the class... I would be interested to see your eval of the recall mix http://thewombforums.com/showthread.php?t=6394

I'd be glad to go and listen to it. Let me find the same ear buds so the comparison will be fair.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 123

OK. I finally had a chance to listen to the new mix. Good work. It's certainly better than your previous attempt. I'm hearing a more natural low end and much fuller low-mids which gives the song the power and drive it needs. Vocal mix is 100x better in the new mix.

My criticism with the mix would start with the snare sound which has a strange "cupped ear quality to it". I guess a comb filtering effect is what I'm hearing (especially noticeable in the first two hits of the song). It sounds as if the snare or drum mix is set up in parallel and there is no delay compensation. Do you know if your DAW does proper delay compensation?

I just went back and looked at your mix screenshots for this mix, which is nice to see. IMHO you still have quite a bit of processing going on. I know it's tempting with all of these cool plug-in's to do *something* to every track... I find myself doing this too... but I think prudence and moderation can really be a virtue when mixing a song. (haha.. I guess minimalism is probably not the MILAR attitude ). This song didn't need to be twisted *that* much to sound workable. An interesting experiment you may want to try is to bring up the song again with absolutely no plug-ins and set the levels to get the mix sounding as good as you can, then mix that down and compare it to your latest mix. Does is sound appreciably worse?

I've done this myself with a mix before and was surprised by the results.

Very cool participation. It was certainly a lot of fun to see you transform your song from one end of the spectrum to the other. Great work.