Thread: MiX iT! 2f - Discuss It: Part 1

once played a seventh chord in a folk song Saw Yentle 46 times
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217866

Default Re: MiX iT! 2 - Discuss It: Part 1

Danbee – Liked open Rock sound. Would have liked more solid bass in verses. Very consistent mix with good energy.
    Thanks for the kind words Baeli! Yours is also a nicely balanced mix, although it does sounds a little scooped and perhaps could have done with some more mid-range energy.

I seem to be one of only a handful that *didn't* mute the overheads during the verses
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Digs Ditches
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Posts 50
    Rep Power 132203450

Yours is also a nicely balanced mix, although it does sounds a little scooped and perhaps could have done with some more mid-range energy.

Thanks for the comments danbee. After listening to the mixes I've heard lots of tracks with sounds I was trying to get but just couldn't. I'm looking forward to breaking some of these down and producing better results in the future.
    Baeli
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Posts 50
    Rep Power 132203450

Hey All,
    Well after listening to the first thirty-one mixes posted these are currently my top favorites: Peeders, MicTyler, Danbee, Captinhook, Annex2, EvilJack, Halsu, Ryst. Some of these I like because of the overall feel and continuity of the mix while others are because I really like how certain elements feel and sound and would like to pull them apart to see what makes them tic. I’m looking forward to hearing more.

Below are my first impressions of the mixes posted since my last post.

Halsu – Great write up, thanks! First ‘Senoir’ seems a little low but then the Vox settles in nice. I really like the backing track but would like the Vox to grab my attention a little more. Liked the Leslie effect on the end but felt a bit of a hole when it dropped out.

Dynamik Studios – Drums were too up front for me. I’d like to hear a fuller bass and have the Gtr/Keys pushed up a lot. Liked the blend of the Tele/Vox and normal vox on the last chorus.

Peeders - Another great write-up. Really like ver1, especially the Toms. This is one of my favorite mixes so far. Enjoyed the Gtrs after the violin break when the track comes back in.

Normie – I didn’t care for the heavy vox-veb. Liked the balance/blend of the track. Though Gtr stepped on Vox during 2nd chorus.

Likelystory – Kinda liked the snare, also like the sound/sustain of the Gtr in ver1. Would like to hear move bottom/bass to help drive it.

Dino – Thought bass sound was interesting. Had hard time hearing vox in Ver1. (and overall for that matter) I will listen to this track again latter at a higher volume which I think will make it sit better. Thanks for the detailed write-up.

Ryst – Not sure about the echo on Vox. I wasn’t clear from your write up if the snare was replaced or not but I really like the snare sound, very solid. I thought the track had a lot of energy.

Knightsy – Still like this mix, it’s what drew me to the tune. I could stand to hear a little more Vox. I really like the “Senoir I’m in love with your daughter, senoir’ break after vers2. Just something about it works for me.

Later…….
    Baeli
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217866

I was writing up my progress as I mixed. You can read the posts on my blog here: http://www.pixelhum.com/category/mixit-2/
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 117

Princeton – Too much tele effect for me. With that said I really like the sound of the effect ending and the normal Vox starting. Snare is abit thin. Ending was very interesting. The splice in the end sounds unnatural. Really liked parts of this mix.
    Thanks for the comments Baeli. I did not have enough time to hear all the mixes through but will do it in the next week and give my comments. In your mix I like guitars sound in verses, and the change at 02:57 is very interesting too. Snare sounds a bit distracting to me and that was also reason I changed it in my mix, altough it was possible to "tune it" with good eq I decided to change the samples. All in all well balanced mix.
    Shift happens.
    Doppler
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Posts 50
    Rep Power 132203450

Snare sounds a bit distracting to me .
    Yea I hate the snare sound. I actually changed it in the 11th hour but the previous one wasn't great either. I'm going to take some time in the next week or two and load some PT sessions that have snares I like. Thanks for the input.
    Baeli
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Chile
    Posts 102
    Rep Power 58838691

Hi!

Booman, I think your Mix it’s excelent!!!
    Studjo, I really like the sound of each track, but there’s something about the mix that doesn’t feels right to me, however you got an brilliant solution in the violin part, in my opinion .

I want to share something with all of you. I’ve heard from some Engineers and Producers every mix must be finished like it would be the final product, with all that dedication! And I notice many mixs has the click track in somewhere, at the beggining, at the end or even in the middle. That’s a huge problem.

It’s a tip everyone can learn and sometimes can make the difference!!!

Thanks for the comments
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928057

I’ve heard from some Engineers and Producers every mix must be finished like it would be the final product, with all that dedication!
    I would agree.
    Although i would also add the practicality of being realistic
    for this event. Not everyone has the FREE time to take
    this to the point of completion.

I for one, spent about a third of the time i would normally
    spend on a mix. Not making excuses, cause i wouldn't
    have uploaded it if i wasn't satisfied overall.

It's prob a dis-service to myself and everyone else, but
    i didn't have time this round to complete the mix.
    I took it as far as i could with the time i had.
    That's all i expect from everyone else too.

But yes, even i had time to remove some click, and
    noise in the vocal track. Although i did miss other obvious
    things i heard the second i left the studio. Ah well.
    Such is life.
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts 30
    Rep Power 120

And I notice many mixs has the click track in somewhere, at the beggining, at the end or even in the middle. That’s a huge problem.
    Are you primarily referring to the "tick" noise on the vocal track in the opening phrase (Senor....I would tick go to war for your daughter)? That was a tough one to edit out for me. It bugged me throughout the mixing process hearing this over and over. My several first attempts at removing this were a failure. I finally spent some more time on it at the end and got it passable just before submitting the mix.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Chile
    Posts 102
    Rep Power 58838691

No annex2, I was talking about the "clicks" you can hear, for example, in the OV tracks, especially at the end of those tracks.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928057

That was a tough one to edit out for me.
    I left it. Prob shouldn't have cause it's the vocal, but the
    editing sounded worse. I was gonna come back to it, but
    never did. I'm sure i could fix it and be happy with it,
    but i chose the vocal sound and mix position as a
    priority rather than eating up a good bulk of time fixing
    what should have been a 'tracking' job.

Perhaps the wrong decision but whatever.

Cleaning the click track leakage was easier because the drums
    and whatever didn't suffer for it like the vocal seemed to.
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

thinks pete seeger is bob's brother Better off without a wife
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 161
    Rep Power 296853953

Ryst – Not sure about the echo on Vox. I wasn’t clear from your write up if the snare was replaced or not but I really like the snare sound, very solid. I thought the track had a lot of energy.

Thanks for the feedback. I was going for the modern rock sound. Kinda like the 2 Angels and Airwaves records that TLA mixed. I love his use of delays. So I respectfully disagree with the echo question.

And yes the snare was replaced because of the sound I was going for. Thanks again.
    Silly Rabbit Needs new sheep...MFB stole the last one away!
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location North Idaho
    Posts 105
    Rep Power 536871027

Is it just me, or do the mixes sound different in iTunes than they do with just the quicktime player?

Todd
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928057

Do you have the eq in itunes turned off?

Turned off 'sound enhancer' and 'sound check'?

Having said that, i haven't actually compared the two.

I will do so shortly.

Silly Rabbit Needs new sheep...MFB stole the last one away!
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location North Idaho
    Posts 105
    Rep Power 536871027

All off...and I'm definitely not imagining things...

Todd
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928057

Hmmm, i just listened to one song through both itunes
    and quicktime. To me, on sony 7509 headphones, they
    seemed the same. Not exactly a critical listening setup but..

No eq setting in quicktime?

In what way does the same song sound different?
    Last edited by CaptainHook; January 7th, 2008 at 11:01 AM.

wardrobe malfunction investigator 329 M/S Hen=Mock Chicken!
    Join Date Jul 2007
    Location Winnipeg
    Posts 37
    Rep Power 42039218

Do you have the eq in itunes turned off?
    Aye carumba. I totally forgot about this... no wonder everything in iTunes has been sounding like total ass lately.
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217866

No no, leave 'sound check' on. All this does is even out the level differences between tracks, which is ideal for comparing mixes as the volume level won't fool you so much.

Turn off everything else though.
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217866

Default Re: MiX iT! 2 - Post It: Mix, File + Description

P.S. The attachments thingy chokes on the session file, which is 254 MB zipped. I guess I'll put it on a file hosting site and leave the URL here. If someone has a better idea, please PM me.
    You probably want to exclude all the WAV files from the zip. We all already have those
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Sherman Oaks
    Posts 55
    Rep Power 83886217

No no, leave 'sound check' on. All this does is even out the level differences between tracks, which is ideal for comparing mixes as the volume level won't fool you so much.

Turn off everything else though.
    But How is it making the levels the same? Are you certain it's not using some form of compression to do so?

I would consider leaving it off. Use the good ole volume knob to even out levels.