Thread: MiX iT! 2f - All Mixes Discussed (ChrisJ)

wardrobe malfunction investigator Oh! "Mock Chicken" joke was about metric system!
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Posts 47
    Rep Power 121

Default Re: MiX iT! 2 - All Mixes Discussed (ChrisJ thread)

chrisj and i have a bit in common, both our mixes sound good to us when stoned. (not that he gets stoned).
    i listened to three or four mixes and cant remember the one i liked out of them, but i recall the first half of one being similiar to mine and it was one raved about. whats cool is i remember chrisj's mix from mixit 1 and mixit 2, not for great reasons, but it's the only mix i remember exactly how it sounded.
    yes i was stoned and drunk while mixing with no revisions till the night of posting, though i think i did put some time into making it disjointed(cant remember i might have had spirits), but yeah that violin is retarded loud midway through the part, sounds more like a melodica for christ sake.
    my biggest accomplishment is making sure the doubled vocals were perfect by the different verbal count offs.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts 30
    Rep Power 123

Thanks ChrisJ for taking the time. You inspired me! I am halfway through my writeup on everyones mix. I will post it in 24 hours. Yeah, mine is very long, and very blunt at times and nit picky at others times, but it will not compete with your outstanding and colorful reviews. You are really good at reviewing mixes man! I enjoyed the read.
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song Saw Yentle 46 times
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217869

Chrisj you are a fucking dude! Excellent critiques throughout.

danbee- Boy, that sure is loud! So bombastic it's funny. My god, even the guitars are getting into the act. It's kinda cool! Not out of line with the spirit of the song. Maybe a little embarrassingly overwrought? I do like the balance between stuff being controlled and stuff bursting out in all directions. It feels FUN. This is what being in a band as a kid felt like you gotta get some props for that!
    I *was* going for epic as that's where I felt the song wanted me to go, so I guess it worked I have since revisited this mix and toned the snare down a bit and dropped the guitars half a db or so.
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Thinks Ringo's wife is a famous Classical Composer
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Helsinki, Finland
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 508245250

halsu- Hmmm. We are bright, yes we are, precious.

This guy has to be working as a mixer
    First of all, thanks a million for taking the time for the writeup - after writing a few shorter reviews i understand the sheer amount of hard labour you went through.

Second, thanks for the kudos on my mix, glad you liked it!

Third, i've never mixed *music* for a living, but i used to mix stuff for TV as my day job. I still do that shit along with my main job, which is being a freelancer of "all things visual", but that's just like a few dozen commercials a year, nothing close to what i did in early 90's. Back then it was like a dozen of those every week ,-).

As far as music goes, i've recorded and mixed as a hobby for a looong time, multitrack since late 80's. Mainly demos, but a few bits and pieces have been broadcast (usually in situations where there wasn't enough money in the production to pay for "real" music ;-)
    || CAPE V - TEAM VIRGIN, bass, gtr || CAPE VI - TEAM ST ROBERT, bass || CAPE VIII - TEAM ZEITGEIST, songwriter, drums || CAPE IX - TEAM BASEMENT HEROES, gtr, mix || CAPE IX - TEAM BIG IN JAPAN, drums, prod, mix ||CAPE X - TEAM WITTY PLACKARD, mix ||

Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217869

meloco_go- couldn't open. In anything. sorry dude. I tried a couple different programs, not just stuff using Quicktime. Charles needs to be telling people to use .m4a only, .aac caused problems for me too and I had to replace my original file.
    I sorted this one out and got Charles to replace the file, so if you download it again you'll get an .m4a file that you can play: http://womb.mixerman.net/showpost.ph...3&postcount=20
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217869

musicdog- what the FUCK? Massive file damage. It's violently sputtering and making a strange buzz. Whatever you used, no worky- please tell us what the hell it is, because that's just fucked. Charles! The next generation file format is showing signs of strain!
    This one was DOA though, nothing could be done.
    Joan River's boytoy FBI Agent searching hard-drives
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871090

Not sure exactly what ya ment by the drums being in ? Do you mean i got em panned wierd or just that i got the dynamics and volume wrong on them?
    A fair question- if I remember correctly, the kickdrum was sort of forward, the snare was really far back (or maybe both of them were far back) and the cymbals were REALLY forward.

This has a lot to do with what's happening with the attack transients of the sounds- you can have very bright and airy cymbals (to a point) that are still far back, if the attacks are being smashed with compression or slowed down somehow. You can have heavy stuff that is forward if it's kinda distorted and has a hard attack transient, or farther back if it's more reverberant and has a slower attack. It's not just about what frequencies are there, it's also about how they arrive.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Tilburg, Netherlands
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 505496571

(quote) musicdog- what the FUCK? Massive file damage. It's violently sputtering and making a strange buzz. Whatever you used, no worky- please tell us what the hell it is, because that's just fucked. Charles! The next generation file format is showing signs of strain!(/qoute)

ehm, i allready changed the file in a correct one
    Please try again.

grtz Peter
    Love the music, music your love
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217869

ehm, i allready changed the file in a correct one
    Please try again.

grtz Peter
    Ah good stuff, that one works. I'll listen to it tomorrow.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Tilburg, Netherlands
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 505496571

Ah good stuff, that one works. I'll listen to it tomorrow.
    Thnx danbee:
    listening to yours right now. but can`t turn up the volume, cause it`s 01:00 hrs local. my neighbors might get angry.
    wil try to post tomorrow as well.

see ya.
    Love the music, music your love
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Jewish Rapper... Busta Hymen
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871178

MacGregor- Hello, thrumming bass! That sounds nice. Our drums are raucous, yes. Very punkish, they're a ragged splat and sound kinda cheap, not slick, because of the way they're compressing. Maybe it's just the snare doing that. In the same vein, the lead vocal sounds very plain and natural- like a studiedly unslick thing, no hype. In a lot of ways this sounds like the most awesome local band imaginable- a real discovery BEFORE they're discovered, before they're even really at the peak of their powers. I think this has a lot to do with the way the mix fits together- it's sort of rounded, fits together in a funny way, bass wrapping around the kick in a way that nothing comes off especially hyped. I've rarely heard the dynamics in the bass part this well. Bizarre, because so much is great about it but it's not exciting me. I think what's happening is, almost all your sounds have the transients knocked off the front bigtime. It makes everything glue like CRAZY but the capacity to shock and startle is lost. It's most clearly heard on the snaredrum, but it's everywhere. If you compress lots of things, your attacks are too fast, it's controlling everything too much.
    All good points, I'll probably try a recall with some more 'edges'.
    Funny thing is I've used almost no compression (just 1 or 2b on
    the overhead/snare bus, a little more on the side channel of the
    vocals, nothing else). Everything else is just automation.
    The snare is emphasized by a sample, maybe I've used a too
    'polished' one for this song.

Thanks for your thoughts about my mix, it's mucho appreciated

Mac

Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

wardrobe malfunction investigator "Mock Chicken" joke?...could be American.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location UK
    Posts 41
    Rep Power 265747663

Default Re: MiX iT! 2 - All Mixes Discussed (ChrisJ)

Evil_Jack- OK, it's reverb time, but things aren't really getting buried by it- it's reverb that isn't choking everything. Maybe this is because there's plenty of predelay? Sure is a big room. I like the bass and drums but the low end isn't kicking, it's a little thin and pointy. The toms do have some oomph to them though, same with the snare. All in all it feels balanced. It's like if this was dry it would be really aggressive and exciting, and the verb rounds it out and adds body.
    Thanks for the review Chris.
    Too much verb yes and not enough low end- I agree.
    I had to mix at very low levels during the holidays...

I'm trying to find the time to do a recall mix now i'm back in my regular studio (just for myself)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location singletrack
    Posts 437
    Rep Power 536871055

...this is too laid back. The music is well behaved, could be soft rock.
    AAAAAAAARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it! I quit! I'm burning all my mixing gear!

Thanks for the comments.
    CAPE 9:

CAPE 8: Team Horizon
    CAPE 6: Team Qwezirider
    CAPE V: Team Omen
    CAPE IV: Team Pantheon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

I sorted this one out and got Charles to replace the file, so if you download it again you'll get an .m4a file that you can play: http://womb.mixerman.net/showpost.ph...3&postcount=20
    Hey, thanks for assistance!
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871090

Clown Re: MiX iT! 2 - All Mixes Discussed (ChrisJ)

AAAAAAAARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's it! I quit! I'm burning all my mixing gear!
    Thanks for the comments.
    Well dude, you KNOW how to fix that! There's all kinds of stuff you could do! Just don't reverb and double and compress things too easily, leave rough edges poking out that you could injure yourself on! And remember- for modern or high impact, distort where you would compress or limit. Especially on drums and bass and such
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location singletrack
    Posts 437
    Rep Power 536871055

... rough edges poking out that you could injure yourself on! And remember- for modern or high impact, distort where you would compress or limit.
    Well, you've nailed my personality assessment. Now what do you think of my mix?

Har har har.

Thanks for commenting.
    CAPE 9:

CAPE 8: Team Horizon
    CAPE 6: Team Qwezirider
    CAPE V: Team Omen
    CAPE IV: Team Pantheon
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Wellington, NZ
    Posts 21
    Rep Power 65094575

DeMontague- OW! No way I'm going to be listening to all of this. Obscenely loud and slammed right at the intro. I wonder if the whole thing is volume inverted? Maybe a bit. It's like this is a edgy aggressive mix slammed beyond recognition. You've got guitars blasting away and burying the lead vocal, you've got an incredibly slamming snare but tinsely cymbals distracting from it proving that overheads get in the way on heavy music... see how slamming you can get things without killing the 2-buss? This isn't making the correct things overwhelming. And I did get to the end, actually, but it was like strapping two shortwave radios to my head- just raw noise without enough personality. Please, don't just pick stuff like guitars and snare and make them overwhelming, the song itself will point out stuff that wants to be big.
    Hi Chris

Thanks for taking the time to review my mix, I really do appreciate it.

First of all, and (almost) without reservation, I will say that you are absolutely right. I did squish the 2buss to a bloody pulp, and it took a review from you and annex2 to get me to realise it. I've lurked here long enough to understand that "when everything is loud, nothing is loud", but somehow that didn't stop me from making such a stupid newbie mistake.

I think it's partly a result of mixing at quite low volume. I wasn't trying to "out-loud" anyone - rather, the buss compression just seemed to be thickening things up a bit. Yeah, I know. Not quite the right description. But the lack of any obvious distortion or pumping tricked me into thinking it was okay.

Also, I have noticed that my monitors (B-word B2031As) give my mix a much "softer" tinge than (say) my stereo. When I listened to my mix through headphones for the first time - prompted by your review, actually - my heart sank. The lack of dynamic range (and the accompanying harshness) was instantly more apparent. Serves me right for not trying my mix on different systems before posting!

Finally, I wondered whether my mix might make a little more sense to you when heard at a lower volume. Did you adjust the apparent volume to match the other mixes before listening? Not that this detracts from the accuracy of your comments (no point having a rock mix that sounds like shit at high volume); it's just that other reviews of my mix have not been quite as strongly worded as yours, so clearly different people are hearing different things, and I'm trying to figure out why it was particularly traumatic for you.

Thanks again for your comments. I will be sure to dial back the buss compression when we do the recall!

Cheers,
    Tim.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871090

Also, I have noticed that my monitors (B-word B2031As) give my mix a much "softer" tinge than (say) my stereo. When I listened to my mix through headphones for the first time - prompted by your review, actually - my heart sank. The lack of dynamic range (and the accompanying harshness) was instantly more apparent. Serves me right for not trying my mix on different systems before posting!

Finally, I wondered whether my mix might make a little more sense to you when heard at a lower volume. Did you adjust the apparent volume to match the other mixes before listening? Not that this detracts from the accuracy of your comments (no point having a rock mix that sounds like shit at high volume); it's just that other reviews of my mix have not been quite as strongly worded as yours, so clearly different people are hearing different things, and I'm trying to figure out why it was particularly traumatic for you.
    Oh man- monitoring will get you into SUCH trouble, especially stuff that's trying to be sophisticated, which I bet the Behringer stuff is. I wouldn't trust them to make my telephone receiver

I DO listen at a pretty low volume- I turn up stuff that's unusually quiet but I don't punish stuff that's trying to be big and loud. You can see that it doesn't get a pass just for being loud. If anything made things especially traumatic for me, it's that I'm monitoring over my mains, which are apparently the opposite of your Behringers (yay!). They're giant two-way speakers horn-loaded in two different ways- the lows are slot-loaded in a spherical horn expansion that's sort of 2-d and the highs extend that into another spherical horn expansion. Spherical expansion is what the high-ender horn guys use- less efficiency but without the typical horn colorations. The drivers are not tough, at least the high driver is quite weak and frail, but I don't use the setup to go to superhigh volumes, I use it to make the peak energy be totally unrestricted by driver compression.

So my main rig is completely unusual because it will show the differences between suppressed and full peak energy a lot more enthusiastically than most. This is how come I can hear stuff that's softened off so easily and bitch about that- with my rig, if you put up old AC/DC for instance, it won't make walls fall over but it will karate-kick you in the head in the most delightful way. I'm sure I sacrifice some imaging clarity. I'm OK with that.

You actually got a lot of things to hit great- I mentioned an incredibly slamming snare, for instance. It's just that you need to hear how things combine better, you're not hearing the front edge of the sound properly. Check stuff on the headphones or get Auratone-alikes to refer to. You don't really need the sophistication but you do need something very direct and simple, and clearly the Behringers aren't. I bet they're doing driver compensation like they were from Bose if you have that, you'll hear how the guitars get overwhelming when you have their unrestricted sonority coming through, and you'll probably also hear the 'tinsely' cymbals even on Auratones because that's not just frequency- it's also the front edge of the cymbals. You'll be hearing a dulled version that still is pasted on the front of the mix.

Courage! Sucky monitoring can be very frustrating!
    wardrobe malfunction investigator 329 M/S Hen=Mock Chicken!
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Posts 39
    Rep Power 119

Hey; Chrisj I think you forgot to evaluate my mix, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about my mix, Sorry I didn't have time for panning automation, but can you let me know how I did in the over all balance, of the mix. thanks
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871090

I guess I have to say it outright- I put a large amount of effort into the crits, and doing my mix. I love this stuff, and I waited until what looked like the deadline (and a tiny bit after it as the thread wasn't locked) to accumulate the big number of files to consider.

I'm working long hours on something else right now- more software stuff, though not plugins (do have some in the pipeline though).

I'll be doing MiXiT! again and again- I love this stuff and enjoy being able to help people understand what they're doing and how they're approaching it- something that is often more instinctive than studied. I spell out the context they're in, and how that differs for me from a professional standard.

Here's yours: you missed the deadline. Part of the test was to do the file posting correctly, or at least rapidly fix any problems before deadline was up. I had to do that myself- .aac didn't work for me and I scrambled to change it to .m4a at the correct data rate. It's possible next time I'll skip anybody who doesn't observe the naming conventions.

Catch me next time and post the file right, with the correct name. There are all kinds of levels of the game, and not all are about mix quality. Your mix could be the most wonderful thing ever and I don't care because it wasn't there when I needed it. Doesn't get more real-world than that!

I don't ask people for recalls either. Show me what YOU do, at the proper time, and I'll show you how I react- which you can use, or not, as you please. I'm in that real-world context too- I have to keep in mind whether my reactions are relevant. If they're not, my crits are as useless as a great mix that's a week late.