Thread: MiX iT! 2f - All Mixes Discussed (MacG)

SoundBlaster™ Expert Jewish Rapper... Busta Hymen
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871175

Default MiX iT! 2f - All Mixes Discussed (MacG)

Hey, I like Chris' idea to post all the comments in a thread of its own, so I do the same.
    Keeps things organized, and I always wanted my own thread.

Charles, if you don't like that: move the thread and fuck you

So,
    here are my lovely thoughts about the mixes.
    I'm commenting in real time while listening to your mix,
    so what I write down are first impressions without deeper
    analysis.
    If it hurts your feelings, makes your mom cry or your nose bleed...
    Live with it!

24bit441
    I like the overall sound, but the vocals are cut be more upfront, I can't see the
    singer when I close my eyes.
    Some wired volume changes in the first chorus, I don't like that. Makes me look if
    I'd accidentally moved the main fader
    Guitars have to much reverb for my taste, the seem to play in a different room.
    In the 2. verse vocals are more there, good.
    Synthesizer is a bit loud for my taste. During the guitar part after the first
    chorus (2:21) the reverb/delay problem gets annyoing because the guitars play behind
    the beat because of this.
    I like that effect at 3.05 a lot, but again the guitars ruin it.
    Overall, I like (most of) the sounds you got.

What I'd change:
    - the sudden volume changes
    - delays of the guitars. When they'll play on the beat your mix will become much tighter.
    - maybe a more punch in the lower frequencies, but it's okay as it is.

Annex2
    I like your bass/kick sound a lot. Vocals sit good in your mix, me likey mucho.
    Overall a very solid mix, not much to complain.

What I'd change:
    - The toms fight with the kick to much, I'd either
    pan them a bit or eq them so that they don't sound to similar.
    - maybe make it a bit brighter so it'll become more exiting.

bonnybilly
    Dunno if I like this mix or not, besides too much reverb for my taste there's
    nothing wrong, but for whatever reason it doesn't excites me. Probably not enough
    loudness changes, I'd do more fader riding to give it more life.

What I'd change:
    - ride your faders like hell. We're living in the age of easy automation
    - between bass/kick and the rest there's a hole (frequency wise). Use your eq to
    push up the bass/kick or extend down the guitars.

ChrisJ
    Wow, I like your basement a lot, nice bass/kick.
    Oops, what's up with the singer, he's not in the same room as the rest of the gang,
    in fact he's in no room at all. Give that poor guy a reverb.
    The vocals loudness is very good, he's always the center of focus. Place that guy
    in a room and he'll rock.

What I'd change:
    - vocals. 'Nuff said.

danbee
    Me likey. In general a bit to much reverb, but that's just my personal taste. Solid
    mix, no complains form my side.

Daunt
    Overall good balance, but somehow the snare isn't working for me, I'd prefer it
    to have more balls.
    Could be a bit more exiting, the chorus should be more dramatic and loud than the
    verses,
    The violin is too loud for my taste, it distracts me from the singer.

What I'd change:
    - snare should have more impact, it's a bit thin
    - loudness difference between verse/chorus

DeMontague
    Wow, loud and powerful, I like it. Reverb a bit overused on the singer, with that
    power he should stand right in front of me. The guitars are a bit bright in the
    chorus/solo section.

What I'd change:
    - vocals less reverb
    - increase the guitars lower frequencies, they are to bright for my taste.

Evil_Jack
    Reminds me on the eighties in a positive way. I'm not a friend of much reverb (you
    already guessed this, right?), but it's working here in a good way.
    Another one that works for me and lets me swing.

JFrance
    I'm missing the guitar here, it's only bass'n'drum and the singer. Overall it's not
    bad, especially the bass, but the individual instruments don't blend well because
    with the guitars there's some very important element missing.

What I'd change:
    - I want to hear more GUITARS. There's a reason why there are 5 guitar tracks.

maartenl945
    The beginning of the first verse is somehow, dunno, not boring but I'm missing the
    energy.
    Nice idea with the hard panned vocals, different compared to the rest of the gang,
    but it works for me. From here onwards I like the vocals.
    The chorus could have more power compared to the verse.

What I'd change:
    - add some power to the first verse. If you lose your listener here he wont' come
    back
    - the right cymbal at the end is a bit annoying loudness wise.

meloco_go
    Another eighties mix. Lots of energy in the lower regions, and I like the individual
    sounds as well. I'm not a big fan of this kind of reverb usage, but if you aimed for
    such an eighties sound you've surely succeeded, so it's all good.

musicdog
    Either you made an extremely experimental mix or your file is broken.

Nizzle
    Wow, THIS IS LOUD, but thanks to Charles I know that there's a volume knob for this
    But even turned down the mix has lots of raw energy, that's pretty cool.
    Not the way I'd have mixed this, but it rocks. Me likey!

norman_nomad
    That kick drum is to loud, in front of a probably nice mix I always get this twak
    twak twak. I'd like to hear this mix with a different kick.

What I'd change:
    - kick drum

VonRaddatz
    Another candidate where the kick drum annoys me, but not as much as norman's.
    When I ignore the kick there's actually a mix I like a lot, maybe the overheads
    are to bright.

What I'd change:
    - kick drum
    - vocal reverb in the bridge to much for my taste.
    - second half (including the guitar solo) could have more impact compared to the
    rest of the song.

Baeli
    I like this a lot, nice vocals and overall balance of the instrument.
    Not a good choice of snare sound, it doesn't match the rest of the kit
    up to a point where it becomes annoying.

What I'd change:
    - sound of snare drum

ArgyleSox64
    This sounds very modern (and therefore overly bright), but even that that wouldn't
    be my first choice for this song you did it really well.

What I'd change:
    - I'd give the kick drum some more balls, it's too bright.

CaptainHook
    Lots'a energy, but I'm not sure if that bass in the intro translates well on different
    systems. Maybe your room lies to you.
    Overall a mix I like a lot, good balance, nice sounds and exiting.

What I'd change:
    - double check the bass.

MicTayler
    Hey, that sounds very professional. Works for me. Me likey a lot. My favorite so
    far!

AngelBomb
    Dunno if I like this or not. The instruments sound 2008, the vocals eighties.
    Each of them on its own sound really good, but I think they don't fit well.
    Bring up the vocals to 2008 and this mix rocks!

Princeton
    The telephone line like vocals are a good idea, but badly executed. After such a soft
    section I'm waiting for a big dynamic jump into the song. You don't give me that.
    Coitus interuptus...
    I notice some weird panning/volume decisions, sounds like back in those days
    when the tape of the cassette was twisted

The panned guitars are to upfront compared to the rest, that creates an very unreal
    room that makes me feel uncomfortable.

What I'd change:
    - make the phone-line vocal section shorter and the rest during that part
    quieter or similar to the vocals. Lets this explode into the 'normal' mix

- redo the eq and volume levels of the different instruments/vocal. The instruments
    don't sound bad, but they don't gel, as if each instrument was mixed by a different
    person.

3holeface
    Really like the guitar parts, but when the vocals start the excitement is lost a bit.
    If you give the vocals more energy and focus they'll rock.

What I'd change:
    - add more dynamics to the vocals. Use your fader and some eq to make them better cut
    through.

Anduin
    Mmmh, kick drum. Me likey. Mmmh, vocals. Tasty. A bit too polished (something I'm known
    to do as well), but overall I like this mix a lot. Guitars could have more balls at
    times, and I don't think that wahwah part and the vocal flanging suits the style song.

What I'd change:
    - give the guitar more low end and/or the bass more midrange
    - reconsider the special effects (wahwah and flanging)

BA mixer
    Bass heavy and overall a bit dull. Could it be that your listening chain emphasizes
    the higher frequencies?
    I'm also not happy about your decision to mix this in mono.
    This mix does not work for me.

What I'd change:
    - stereo
    - if your listening chain is messed up frequency wise I'd double check against
    commercial records from time to time to get an idea how it should sound like.

bobogura
    Loud'n'bright with lots of energy. Modern and raw at the same time. Not my personal
    favorite choice, but it works, so you've done something right.
    Nicely executed phone line effect.

What I'd change:
    - the rhythm guitars are to bright compared the the rest, so they compete with the
    vocals and start to annoy a bit after some time. I'd reduce this.

Booman
    Mmmh, even it's IMO not a typical eighties mix it reminds me of that time. I like this.
    Panned rhythm guitar could have more balls, they sound a bit thin.
    Nothing else to complain, good kick'n'bass energy.

What I'd change:
    - rhythm guitar. They are too thin.

Calvin
    Love the bass and kick sounds, but it dominates the mix to much. Bring up the rest
    and it'll rock.

What I'd change:
    - balance between kick/bass and the rest.
    - the mix sounds a big dull, could be a bit brighter
    - vocal levels never change. Add some excitement to the vocals in the chorus.
    - same for the guitars. Make them louder in the parts where they are the main part
    of the sound.

Dino
    Brrr, that overheads/snare combination is bright and thin. Not good, and doesn't suit
    this song well.
    I like the bass sound, but it's a bit muddy at times.

What I'd change:
    - drums. Thin and annoying. I'd redo the complete drum section. Start with the
    overheads alone(!) and fiddle around with ONLY them until they rock. Needs some work
    with this song, but once the overheads sound good the rest of the drums fall in place
    quite easy

- clean up the bass, probably a simple low cut could do all the work.

Dolld4
    Drown on reverbation, something I personally don't like. Despite this, the levels
    and overall balance are okay, not exiting, but not bad either.

What I'd change:
    - reverbs
    - snare/kick sounds don't fit well
    - less compression, when everything's loud nothing is loud.
    - the cymbals are a bit annoying at times, it reduce them a couple of db.

dreamsound
    Not sure about the synthesizer effects, but overall this mix rocks a lot.
    A bit too polished, could have some more dynamic changes between
    verses/chorus/bridge.

Dynamik_Studios
    Oops, that's a strange kick drum, very low with a high twak. I think it doesn't
    suit the song well, it sounds artificial. Also the bass gets a bit muddy in the
    lower frequencies sometimes. I like the openness of the mix, but the instruments
    seems too separated, I can't see a stage in front of me when I close my eyes.

What I'd change:
    - kick drum. A standard rock kick sound would fit better
    - try to fill the room between hard left/right channel

halsu
    Sounds good to me, overall good balance and energy. I'd like to have some more
    vocal power in the verses and maybe and maybe a bit more kick drum, but it's good
    as it is.

Immanuel
    Hmh, nice vocal sound. Maybe a bit too polished, but I like it a lot. Frequency
    wise there's a hole in the lower midrange which makes the bass too dominating,
    I'd either add some lower end to the guitars or better some midrange to the bass.
    Your mix gets quieter in the middle part with the solo. Actually that's the climax
    of this song, so that should be the loudest part. I'd change that.

Jakob
    Wow, this is loud, but with lots of energy and therefore good. Vocals are good, too.
    I don't like the panning effects on the guitars, to me they don't belong into this
    song. But besides these effects I like that mix a lot.

Knightsy
    I still like this mix, maybe because that's where I started from. Overall good
    balance, but I'd like the hear more impact of the kick drum, the low end is buried
    behind the bass and only the bright twak is audible.

likelystory
    Another loud one. Good energy, good drums. I'm not happy about that effect on the
    bass during the chorus, probably because I think the bass is the best track and
    shouldn't be tweaked that much.

What I'd change:
    - remove that effect
    - vocals could be a bit more up front

masseyplugins
    I like your overheads, bright but not annoying, very good. Compared to this snare
    gets a bit lost at times. The bass is a bit muddy, to much low end.
    Did you transpose the guitar down one octave at about 1.42? Sounds interesting,
    but IMO doesn't support the song, it distracts from the song. I'm fine with the
    rest.

What I'd change:
    - snare
    - vocals could be a bit more up front, they get lost in the busier part of the song

mykllynyrd
    A bit shy in the lower end, sounds like you high-passed everything. The vocals are
    too dry, the singer seems not to be in the same room as the band. Despite this
    a solid mix, nice and very controlled drum sound.

What I'd change:
    - give it more balls (tm slipperman).
    - place the singer into the same room as the rest of the band. He needs a bit of
    reverbation.

nobby
    Killer bass, but I'm not sure if that bass will translate well an all systems.
    Lots of reverb on the vocals, but here it sounds good. They are just a bit too
    loud, the rest of the band seems small compared to the singer.

What I'd change:
    - bass a couple of db down, maybe slightly high passed
    - vocals a few db down, guitars a few db up.

Pootkao
    Bass similar to nobby, with the same (probable) problems. Besides this, I like the
    overall sound.

What I'd change:
    - bass: see nobby
    - I don't like that vocal effect during the bridge.

prschmitt
    Very solid mix, I like this one. Not much to complain, maybe the vocals could
    be a bit louder, especially in the chorus.

reincarnage
    Wow, this is loud and still full of energy. I like your bass re-amping, the
    same basic idea I had. I don't like the amp noise, I'd gate it more.

Ryst
    Not my style, especially the vocals. But I like it, it's big it works and is
    exiting. Good job!

Shhpeaceful
    Nothing to complain. Maybe a bit too polished, but that's something I usually do
    as well. Works for me

Strat+AC30
    For someone with your name surprisingly good balanced guitars, hehehe...
    I'd like vocals a bit louder, everything else is just fine.

studjo
    Doesn't play on my system.

SuicideNote
    Same as Shhpeaceful, a bit held back, but I like it. I'd probably try a different
    kick sound (sounds too compressed to me) and play with the vocal levels (and levels
    in general) a bit more.

Tonewheels
    Not sure about the drums, the timing between overheads and kick/snare seems to
    drift sometimes. I like the vocals, but the rest sounds a bit thin and unexciting.

Zooloop
    Besides the snare sound I like this mix. Wait, at 1:55 (and later) one guitar
    sounds weired, did you double it with a detuned one? Don't do that, the guitar
    play's goona kill you for that.

wkrienke
    Drowned in reverbation, something I don't like. But I must admit that you've got
    a cool vocal sound. Not fitting exactly this song, but I can imagine this vocals
    would be cool in a eighties new wave band. I'd like to hear a rawer version with
    less effects.

Peeders
    One point minus for bad file naming.
    Hmh, vocals. Me likey. I'd try less reverb on the synthesizer. I like this one
    until exactly 2:56. Way too much playing with effects. Just because you CAN do
    it doesn't mean you should. Sorry.

Normie
    One point minus for bad file naming.
    Again an interesting vocal sound, but I don't think it's the best choice for this
    song. Overall balance is good. Playing with the guitar panning is a bit
    distracting, but I can live with it.

Boy, that was hard work. I'm pretty sure I lost my concentration for the last
    couple of mixes, but for no money in this world would I listen to this song again.
    Not now.
    Maybe in a week.
    Or if you'd pay insane amounts of money.
    I feel sick now, I need a drink.
    Shoot me.

Cheers, good night and a happy new year wherever you live.

MacSeńor

Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Joan River's boytoy FBI Agent searching hard-drives
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871087

Clown Re: MiX iT! 2 - All Mixes Discussed (Mac's version)

Oops, what's up with the singer, he's not in the same room as the rest of the gang, in fact he's in no room at all. Give that poor guy a reverb. The vocals loudness is very good, he's always the center of focus. Place that guy in a room and he'll rock.
    Hi Mac!
    The guy's the center of focus BECAUSE he's in front of everybody. However, one thing I could have done is put a heavily pre-delayed reverb on him- then he would still be completely in front but he would also be heard 'in the room'

And- he HAS a reverb. But it's 'BrightAmbience', pure high frequency frizz, and I've got it turned down to flea fart level in line with my crazy loud/quiet experiments this time...
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Chile
    Posts 102
    Rep Power 58838691

Default Re: MiX iT! 2 - All Mixes Discussed (Mac's version)

in a room and he'll rock.
    VonRaddatz
    Another candidate where the kick drum annoys me, but not as much as norman's.
    When I ignore the kick there's actually a mix I like a lot, maybe the overheads
    are to bright.

What I'd change:
    - kick drum
    - vocal reverb in the bridge to much for my taste.
    - second half (including the guitar solo) could have more impact compared to the
    rest of the song.
    I totally agree

I was emulating the buss mix with AC1 (1 buss per instrument) and I got passionate with the GR. I think thats why it hasn't more impact in the rest of the song.

thanks for the feedback
    wardrobe malfunction investigator 329 M/S Hen=Mock Chicken!
    Join Date Jul 2007
    Location Winnipeg
    Posts 37
    Rep Power 42039218

Pootkao
    Bass similar to nobby, with the same (probable) problems. Besides this, I like the
    overall sound.

What I'd change:
    - bass: see nobby
    - I don't like that vocal effect during the bridge.

Hey MacGregor
    Thanks for the critique! The bass was definitely the sticking point for me in my mix... what I ended up with is the best it got, but went back to my mix twice to even get there. In fact, bass is usually my main trouble-spot. (Hence my session file being tagged as "Bass2" or something like that.)

When I play my mix on our old school hi-fi system here at home, the bass is way too outfront. On my headphones, I love it. On the NS-10's in the studio, it works for me. So, it ended up being a matter of compromise... because I DID want the bass to be quite forward in my mix.

Someday I'll get the hang of it...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871116

fuku2 macdood
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Left handed polo player...not good.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location San Diego/Poway
    Posts 260
    Rep Power 319273355

Default Re: MiX iT! 2 - All Mixes Discussed (MacG)

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm a little afraid to let the low end get away from me (and I'm a bass player???) I did have a Multiband EQ (Charles words, it was LinMB) and I'm still trying to figure it out.

I had the reverb and echo up hotter before, but I was afraid it was too much, I need to find the happy medium.

Cheers

Gear is, after all, the Least Significant Bit
    -otek

nothing worse than being BOTH pretentious AND ignorant!
    -mousdrvr

Me, I always pan the hihat to the left and mix drummer's perspective... Makes it a lot easier to play air drums. -otek
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Oblivion
    Posts 555
    Rep Power 536871056

Calvin
    Love the bass and kick sounds, but it dominates the mix to much. Bring up the rest
    and it'll rock.

What I'd change:
    - balance between kick/bass and the rest.
    - the mix sounds a big dull, could be a bit brighter
    - vocal levels never change. Add some excitement to the vocals in the chorus.
    - same for the guitars. Make them louder in the parts where they are the main part
    of the sound.
    Thanks for the critique, and I think you're absolutely on target.

"My experience has been that people who perceive a conflict between science and spirituality generally know very little about one or the other. Often they know very little about both." - Bob Ohlsson

"Real men do hard things." - Anonymous - Don't know who said it first, but I like it.
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Windy City
    Posts 134
    Rep Power 402653413

prschmitt
    Very solid mix, I like this one. Not much to complain, maybe the vocals could
    be a bit louder, especially in the chorus.
    Wow.
    Thanks!
    I haven't had many comments so far.. I was starting to think maybe it *really* *sucked*!

You're right about the vocals.
    I pretty much just set some levels that didn't sound too obnoxious and let 'er roll w/o any automation.. I'm not quite comfortable riding faders or drawing automation just yet.
    If there is a recall phase, I'll hopefully be able to show some more dynamics.
    Oh, and VOLUME, too.

I really like how basic and unadorned your interpretation sounds in contrast to mine.
    It's a little sterile sounding on my cans but when I throw it up on the speakers it fills out nicely.
    basically I started with all faders up and removed
    everything that did not sound like a record
    Yup. Worked, too.
    You even got his vocal take to sound acceptable solo despite the quirks.
    I was just kvetching about the performance on another thread to justify why I buried it in the mix, and here guys like you (and others) go and make me look foolish.

(psst. I still think burying/doubling/whatevering this vocal is the right artistic choice for this song, with this set of takes, though )

Hmm.
    This is a bit OT but I gotta wonder..
    Is there any likelihood that the original artist(s) will at some point weigh in with their own appraisal of everyone's efforts here?
    It would be really neat to hear their reactions to all these vastly differing realisations of their artistic vision.
    Did the Simplebird guys ever have anything to say?
    Just curious..
    Boy, that was hard work. I'm pretty sure I lost my concentration for the last
    couple of mixes, but for no money in this world would I listen to this song again.
    <snicker>
    I tried to write my own comments.. I really did.
    I just don't have either the constitution nor the typing skills to do it.
    As a textbook Libran, I agonise over everything I communicate to others ("was that clear?" "did that sound mean? " " how can I put this constructively?") so doing so would take me a bloody month.
    Not now.
    Maybe in a week.
    Or if you'd pay insane amounts of money.
    I feel sick now, I need a drink.
    Shoot me.
    I hear ya!
    Cheers, good night and a happy new year wherever you live.
    You, too.
    "NOBODY moves very much in a Hanna-Barbera cartoon!" -Zorak
    Hates these rank titles! Ends jokes with… That's what she said
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 207
    Rep Power 536871044

he anybody else got a problme with my mix not playing on their system?

Jo
    Highway to Hell is for Children Allen Bean to the Moon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,339
    Rep Power 536871215

meloco_go
    Another eighties mix. Lots of energy in the lower regions, and I like the individual
    sounds as well. I'm not a big fan of this kind of reverb usage, but if you aimed for
    such an eighties sound you've surely succeeded, so it's all good.
    Hmmm
    Yeah I guess I did=)
    Funny thing that I rarely listen to lots of 80s music, and that was sound that associates with that synth sounds and not an "emulation".
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Tilburg, Netherlands
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 505496568

musicdog
    Either you made an extremely experimental mix or your file is broken.
    Hee MacGregor,

Like MaartenL also replyed, here in Holland we`re using some newer versions that are not yet available in the rest off the world
    There`s a new version that you lot can use on my post now, so would you be so kind to try that one. or i would use your kind off language and say: fuck you

thnx man.
    Love the music, music your love
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871175

Hey MacGregor
    Thanks for the critique! The bass was definitely the sticking point for me in my mix... what I ended up with is the best it got, but went back to my mix twice to even get there. In fact, bass is usually my main trouble-spot. (Hence my session file being tagged as "Bass2" or something like that.)

When I play my mix on our old school hi-fi system here at home, the bass is way too outfront. On my headphones, I love it. On the NS-10's in the studio, it works for me. So, it ended up being a matter of compromise... because I DID want the bass to be quite forward in my mix.

Someday I'll get the hang of it...
    Before I got my mastering monitors, I found an easy fix for that problem: a (or better a pair of) subwoofer.
    I listen to a lot of commercial bass-heavy records and adjusted/positioned them in a way that these records sounded good, but every db more bass would sound bad. I double checked these settings with every system I had access to (living room, car, boom box, television, mono kitchen radio, friends hi-fi, hi quality cans, low quality ear plugs, etc...).
    After that extensive testing I was able to trust my listening chain and rarely had to double check on other systems.
    Saves a ton of time.
    Of course a well treaded room is a must for a consistent bass sound.

I mixed without the subs (it's easier IMO), bud cross-checked now and than WITH the subs on to make sure I'm not going in the wrong direction.

Mac

Mac

Sweet Child o' Mime Gumball Rally Driver
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Somewhere
    Posts 1,804
    Rep Power 536871095

Immanuel
    Hmh, nice vocal sound. Maybe a bit too polished, but I like it a lot. Frequency
    wise there's a hole in the lower midrange which makes the bass too dominating,
    I'd either add some lower end to the guitars or better some midrange to the bass.
    Your mix gets quieter in the middle part with the solo. Actually that's the climax
    of this song, so that should be the loudest part. I'd change that.
    Only polishing on the vocals is a reverb and silences and one plosive removed. Either I succeeded in getting a really good polishing reverb, or it says something about how some other mixer's treatment of the vocals sounds like unpolishing.

Thanks for the comment on the frequency balance. This MixIt made me realise that my room is really messy frequency response wise. The bass level changed wildly with my position in the room. The passed days I have walked to the shop selling wood and mineral wool six times. Its a one mile walk each way, and it has been heavy 2 times and 3 times I walked with a cart loaded with mineral wool ... on uneven pavement. But I think it will be worth the hassle.

I will think your comment on boosting the softest part over. It kind of collides with my idea of leaving the over all dynamics to the bands own (intended, I suppose) arrangement. Thanks for your comments.
    Intellectually perfect only means there's nothing wrong. To me, overproduction means throwing away what's right in a herculean effort to achieve nothing wrong. (Bob Olhsson)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871175

You're right about the vocals.
    I pretty much just set some levels that didn't sound too obnoxious and let 'er roll w/o any automation.. I'm not quite comfortable riding faders or drawing automation just yet.
    If there is a recall phase, I'll hopefully be able to show some more dynamics.
    Oh, and VOLUME, too.
    I've never measured the time, but I guess about 50% of my mixing time is used for automation only. With careful automation you can do things no effect can do on its own.
    And if necessary I automate everything, volume, eq settings, compressor seetings, reverbs, whatnot...

But of course that's my personal way to mix and everyone has to find out what works best for him/her.

Mac

Mac

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 117

b]Princeton[/b]
    The telephone line like vocals are a good idea, but badly executed. After such a soft
    section I'm waiting for a big dynamic jump into the song. You don't give me that.
    Coitus interuptus...
    I notice some weird panning/volume decisions, sounds like back in those days
    when the tape of the cassette was twisted

The panned guitars are to upfront compared to the rest, that creates an very unreal
    room that makes me feel uncomfortable.

What I'd change:
    - make the phone-line vocal section shorter and the rest during that part
    quieter or similar to the vocals. Lets this explode into the 'normal' mix

- redo the eq and volume levels of the different instruments/vocal. The instruments
    don't sound bad, but they don't gel, as if each instrument was mixed by a different
    person.
    Thanks for your time, well done review I agree to 90% with you.
    Shift happens.
    Doppler
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 117

he anybody else got a problme with my mix not playing on their system?
    Jo
    When I try to play you file in Winamp error pops up (Negative selector found, should be impossible). So I play your file in Foobar without problems.
    Shift happens.
    Doppler
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Sherman Oaks
    Posts 55
    Rep Power 83886217

Nizzle
    Wow, THIS IS LOUD, but thanks to Charles I know that there's a volume knob for this
    But even turned down the mix has lots of raw energy, that's pretty cool.

Yup - The volume knob can be used to turn loud things down(FWIW - it's not THAT loud, generally speaking)....Sadly - You can not turn down distortion(if there is any).....Glad you like the mix.

Nizzle
    Not the way I'd have mixed this, but it rocks. Me likey!

That goes without saying. Just imagine how fricken boring mixing would be if everyone had a similar aesthetic(is that how that word is spelled?) or sense of taste....That would suck.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts 30
    Rep Power 120

Annex2
    I like your bass/kick sound a lot. Vocals sit good in your mix, me likey mucho.
    Overall a very solid mix, not much to complain.

Thanks man. It was cool of you to post something on everybodys mix. I know it's a lot of work!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location singletrack
    Posts 437
    Rep Power 536871052

If it hurts your feelings, makes your mom cry or your nose bleed...
    Live with it!
    Ha!

Anduin
    Guitars could have more balls at
    times, and I don't think that wahwah part and the vocal flanging suits the style song.

What I'd change:
    - give the guitar more low end and/or the bass more midrange
    - reconsider the special effects (wahwah and flanging)
    Interesting. That's almost exactly what I thought of it myself. Now I know there's at least one other person who hears things something like I do!

Thanks for the input.
    CAPE 9:

CAPE 8: Team Horizon
    CAPE 6: Team Qwezirider
    CAPE V: Team Omen
    CAPE IV: Team Pantheon
    wardrobe malfunction investigator "Mock Chicken" joke?...could be American.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location UK
    Posts 41
    Rep Power 265747660

Thanks for the review MacG

Doing my recall mix now - bumping up the low end and backing of the verb.