Thread: Chicks in the Mix...

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Pareeeeeeeeeeee
    Posts 2,270
    Rep Power 536871084

Zero Amperes Chicks in the Mix...

Greetings, Womb-Dwellers,

This topic came up the other day in discussion, and again today, so I thought I'd slap up a thread on the subject of female audio engineers in this biz we call home.

I personally as the years go by, find myself more and more interested in the art of, and the science in, audio-sculpting. With each session I spend behind the mic, and the apres-sing noodling that always follows, I learn more and more in the digital realm, and more importantly, I really like what I am learning.

So here, I'd like to know of and discuss, how many of you have worked with or even just met female AE's during your collective travels through the sound-scapes?

: J
    Last edited by J.G.; December 17th, 2006 at 04:32 PM.
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee Waves at squirrels
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Surrounded by morons
    Posts 861
    Rep Power 536871036

Default Re: Chicks in the Mix...

I know there ain't ENOUGH of 'em... Only one I can think of is Suzy Champagne in Lafayette, La - she used to do house sound at Grant Street Dancehall years back. Not only did she have a great ear, she was super easy to work with... unless you acted like a jerk, then she'd be as harsh with the "suck" knob as any dude I ever met.

ah memories...

dik
    Hates these rank titles! Ends jokes with… That's what she said
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Brighton UK
    Posts 205
    Rep Power 54881992

I worked at Peermusic's studio (London) some time ago. The staff engineer I worked with there was female and in her twenties. I remember her being pretty quick getting around the SSL and fastidious about sound quality. Unfortunately I can't remenber her name now, it'd be intresting to google her and see if she's still at it.

Maybe my subconcious will come up with her name later.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location The Neutral Zone
    Posts 33
    Rep Power 536871008

Not an AE, but I do run sound for a local band sometimes. Mostly because I'm the only band wife who ever shows up at their gigs. Now if the guitar player would only listen to me when I tell him to turn his amp down...

Rommie
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee ACME recording engineer...just add water.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Belgium
    Posts 858
    Rep Power 536871036

Darcy Proper... award winning Mastering AE... and a nice person too.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hell's Sink
    Posts 404
    Rep Power 536871021

2 female mastering AEs in Helsinki... 2 recording engineers, that I can recall of. It's a male business at least around here...
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Always picked last for sports
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 4,905
    Rep Power 536871171

I'm currently working on the Ashes Test Match at the WACA, and the Audio Director is female.

I tend to see more female AE's in the broadcast/EFP/ENG side of the biz.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Pareeeeeeeeeeee
    Posts 2,270
    Rep Power 536871084

Taking notes...

Yes, mmmmm--yesssssssss, I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Guess it's all about the wiring...

I think I'd like to interview some of these female AE's, and see what makes their metronomes tick...
    knows every handout in every town Does FOH for "Trooper"
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Helsinki, Finland
    Posts 623
    Rep Power 313193292

2 female mastering AEs in Helsinki... 2 recording engineers, that I can recall of. It's a male business at least around here...
    Spot on.

I knew quite a bunch in England, of which one has become really quite successful in her field (post-production).

6x2
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Was once married to Larry King
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location allentown, pa
    Posts 535
    Rep Power 536871025

I tend to see more female AE's in the broadcast/EFP/ENG side of the biz.

I work as a radio engineer by day, and I've yet to meet anyone who has even met a female engineer in radio. They've got to be out there, but they must be few and far between.

And the ones you do find look like Bubba!
    "The Lord your God will send the [F/A-18] Hornet among them, until those who are left, who hide themselves from you, are destroyed." - Deuteronomy 7:20

http://www.curtyengst.com
    "Tempus Fugit" the novel now available!!
    knows every handout in every town Does FOH for "Trooper"
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Helsinki, Finland
    Posts 623
    Rep Power 313193292

And obviously:

Emily Lazar

6x2
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Always picked last for sports
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 4,905
    Rep Power 536871171

I work as a radio engineer by day, and I've yet to meet anyone who has even met a female engineer in radio. They've got to be out there, but they must be few and far between.
    Most of the female AE's I've met are location sound recordists. Fewer studio/post AE's...and in this town, no music AE's.

Originally Posted by CurtZHP
    And the ones you do find look like Bubba!
    Not always...but sometimes.... ...and it doesn't matter anyway...

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Was once married to Larry King
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location allentown, pa
    Posts 535
    Rep Power 536871025

...and it doesn't matter anyway...

Couldn't agree more. Just sayin'.
    "The Lord your God will send the [F/A-18] Hornet among them, until those who are left, who hide themselves from you, are destroyed." - Deuteronomy 7:20

http://www.curtyengst.com
    "Tempus Fugit" the novel now available!!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 9,722
    Rep Power 536871333

I learned most of my basic audio skills from two women who had been producers at NBC Radio during the '30s and '40s. They got canned along with most other women in technical jobs after WWII because the government offered huge financial incentives for hiring the thousands of male vets who had been trained in the same skills during the war.

This created a couple decades of almost nothing but male recording and broadcast engineers along with a locker room mentality around most studios that made men uncomfortable when women were present.

My wife Ellen's theory about how to crack this was to always have the foulest mouth in the room so she could never remotely be considered just a "chick." She became a pretty well respected computer nerd that way.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Pareeeeeeeeeeee
    Posts 2,270
    Rep Power 536871084

Clown Re: Chicks in the Mix...

That reminds me of------------ aaaaaaa leeeeeeeeeeetle storrryyyyy, about---------------

Bob, I can surely relate to your wife's take on that deal.

Gotta run, we're outta mouth soap---again...

; J
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song Saw Yentle 46 times
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Where all yer dreams come true
    Posts 194
    Rep Power 528060848

My band had many fine experiences working with Sally Browder. She engineered four of our records & mixed two. Always a pleasure. Sadly haven't seen her in about 7 years but she was top notch.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Pareeeeeeeeeeee
    Posts 2,270
    Rep Power 536871084

Thumbs Up! Re: Chicks in the Mix...

I am diggin' hearing about all the girl-ears in the audio-kitchen.

That bit about the war and favoring the hiring of males was derned interesting, Sir-Bob, dernnnnned.

: J
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 22
    Rep Power 99

Not an AE, but I do run sound for a local band sometimes. Mostly because I'm the only band wife who ever shows up at their gigs. Now if the guitar player would only listen to me when I tell him to turn his amp down...

Rommie
    I got news for ya - you're telling the guitar player to turn down? If you're not careful, you're going to be an AE - you've already got one of the most valuable skills. Heck, you may already be one. Sorry. ;-)
    Trying to keep the PA out of the way of the music
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 137
    Rep Power 90804600

there is a funk club in Rome (http://www.miccaclub.com/) where the resident AE is a young girl just out of SAE.
    well, i have to say she made my life really easy, and working there was a total breeze.
    very few other times in my life i found the channels in the mixer correctly patched to the lines on stage!
    more power to the AE girls!

btw: Malice, if you're reading this thread, Nicola Conte is often playing in the club.
    'oh god i am the american dream! But now i smell like vasoline! And i'm a miserable son of a bitch! Am i a boy or a lady? I don't know which!'
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Madame de Pompadours boudoir
    Posts 1,832
    Rep Power 536871069

I've worked with a bunch over the years.

Got a female intern right now...

That girl who ran sound for us at the Little Steven gig was hot and good. The way she handled the crew rocked.
    The Comte

"all is indecipherable to him who is not prepared; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior..."