Thread: MiX iT! 3a - Mix for Mixerman Q&A

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

Default Re: MiX iT! 3a- Mix for Mixerman (Q&A)

Here are the lyrics. One of the challenges with this song, is to make every word audible without losing strength in the track. The rough probably falls short of that goal.

I've gotten PMs with the right answer.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Aren't you Proud?
    Formerly known as 622
    © 2008 Ryan Barnum, Strange Faces
    All Rights Reserved

Someone was staring at me
    There was no one else around
    I heard a crack in the distance
    That has dropped me to the ground

When I breathe
    When I breathe
    I can feel it burning my lungs

Won’t pull the trigger again
    Does it bring you so much joy?
    To look in my eyes while I suffer
    So your trophy’s not destroyed

Can’t you see?
    Can’t you see?
    The compassion of your gun

Let it out
    Won’t you let it out?
    It’s in my face my friend
    Just bury the bullet again

Goodbye daydream
    Forgive me, my dear, they have sent me on my way
    I’ll see your face
    Some other day
    Please don’t forget me won’t you

Let it out?
    Won’t you let it out?
    Just bury the bullet again

Won’t you let it out?
    Adorning the wall of your den

Over and over you’re laughing again
    Counting the points that you clipped from my head
    I’m just a story to tell all your friends
    Aren’t you proud?
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Quantum Psychic Passed out in public restroom
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location California. by the bay
    Posts 242
    Rep Power 117335

I like it.

In my opinion, there aren't nearly enough songs written from the perspective of something other than a human being.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

the song is really a cool one!
    i got a question: can we ADD tracks to it?
    No.

For starters, this is a production and an arrangement that was created between Strange Faces and myself. If we had wanted more instrumentation, we would have put it in ourselves.

Secondly, it states very clearly in the license that you agreed to, that you "may not alter, transform, or build upon this work."

There is a level of trust that goes into allowing everyone access to these files. It's important that everyone respect the purpose of this Event. It's to give people an opportunity to mix tracks that come from an outside source.

of course i'm talking about small things, like a distant pad key or whatever.. in general small things that wouldn't influence the production at all,
    We see this differently. I see any sound, any breath, as purposeful and part of the production. Even the smallest sound that you might put in this would influence the production.

Even the MIX will influence the production, and that is the tool that we want you to use. You have all sorts of tools at your disposal when mixing, to create certain illusions which affect the production. Use those tools. I did on my final mix. There are things missing from the rough that make me laugh, because they are so ingrained in my head as part of the production, but they were created during the mix. I have not supplied them for you in advance. It's for you to be creative within the confines of a mix.

but at least for me half of the fun would be to add subtle elements to it and play a bit.
    so my question is: are we limited to what we are given? has it to be strictly mixing?
    cheers!
    Perhaps in the near future, we can do a remix event, similar to this one, in which all you get is a vocal track and a tempo. I've been thinking about this, and it could be kind of fun for those chomping at the bit to develop their production chops.

For this event, it's only mixing.

Thanks,

Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Yellow Submarine
    Posts 584
    Rep Power 536871054

I can't wait - very nicely tracked, well played and arranged - this should be a lot of fun! So it's just the keys, one guitar, one vox and drums? Really well put together as far as arrangement goes. Like how the when things are sparse the hat is up enough to kind of balance out the keys on the right (not a fan of drummer's perspective though).
    You can hear some of my work at http://www.thedubnicks.com - feedback appreciated!

"Think of a creative way around your problem and keep your money in your pocket." - Robert Rodriguez from his "10 Minute Film School" mini-doc on the making of his first, $7000 budget movie, El Mariachi.

"Life is work, and the reward for doing that work is more work. More difficult and beautiful work." - Andrew Wagner, director of "Starting Out In The Evening" from the film's commentary track.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

I can't wait - very nicely tracked, well played and arranged - this should be a lot of fun! So it's just the keys, one guitar, one vox and drums? Really well put together as far as arrangement goes. Like how the when things are sparse the hat is up enough to kind of balance out the keys on the right (not a fan of drummer's perspective though).
    I get tracks all the time that are audience perspective, which I then change, as a mixer, to drummer perspective. If you don't prefer that perspective, feel free to change it.

Mixerman

Join Date Feb 2007
    Posts 584
    Rep Power 536871054

I get tracks all the time that are audience perspective, which I then change, as a mixer, to drummer perspective. If you don't prefer that perspective, feel free to change it.

Mixerman
    Probably won't change it doesn't bother me too much at all - just initial reaction to it. Just out of curiousity, I know it's just a rough, but was it intentional to have that hat a bit more close mic heavy in the mix than most of the kit or just luck? After the first listen, I listened again, paying attention specifically to the panning and when I asked myself "Why does it still feel heavy with all the keys hard right?" I realized that the hat was balancing things out a bit, which I guess is obvious and probably coincidental, but it struck me as sort of clever in a way. Most important thing to me is - when do we get our hands on the tracks?
    You can hear some of my work at http://www.thedubnicks.com - feedback appreciated!

"Think of a creative way around your problem and keep your money in your pocket." - Robert Rodriguez from his "10 Minute Film School" mini-doc on the making of his first, $7000 budget movie, El Mariachi.

"Life is work, and the reward for doing that work is more work. More difficult and beautiful work." - Andrew Wagner, director of "Starting Out In The Evening" from the film's commentary track.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 120

There's a million interpretations I could come up with for this song (which I think is really good by the way)... but I think this song is referencing a botched hunting trip written from the deer's perspective. It's been shot in the lungs ("when I breathe I can feel it burning my lungs") and I say deer because I assume "Forgive me, my dear" (a scene in which the still alive animal is being carted away and wishing a wordless goodbye to a partner) is a double entendre. The hunter won't kill it ("Won’t pull the trigger again") by shooting it in the face ("Does it bring you so much joy? To look in my eyes while I suffer") because it would "destroy" the "trophy" (the deer's head) which he clearly "Adorns" on the "wall of [his] den" near the end of the song. "Counting the points," "story to tell all your friends," references the hunter's bravado and sets the stage for the moralizing end cap "Aren't you proud?"

Done.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,545
    Rep Power 536871422

There's a million interpretations I could come up with for this song (which I think is really good by the way)... but I think this song is referencing a botched hunting trip written from the deer's perspective. It's been shot in the lungs ("when I breathe I can feel it burning my lungs") and I say deer because I assume "Forgive me, my dear" (a scene in which the still alive animal is being carted away and wishing a wordless goodbye to a partner) is a double entendre. The hunter won't kill it ("Won’t pull the trigger again") by shooting it in the face ("Does it bring you so much joy? To look in my eyes while I suffer") because it would "destroy" the "trophy" (the deer's head) which he clearly "Adorns" on the "wall of [his] den" near the end of the song. "Counting the points," "story to tell all your friends," references the hunter's bravado and sets the stage for the moralizing end cap "Aren't you proud?"

Done.
    You're right. Now that I can read the words, it's obvious. Trophy isn't a metaphor, the deer's head is to be mounted on the wall of the hunter's den. The points refer to the number of points on the antlers. I don't hunt, so I missed the reference the first time around.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 242
    Rep Power 117335

I'm guessing 622 is a reference to the rifle model. Not sure which one, because there are a lot with a 622mm barrel length. Not that I'm a gun nut or anything.

"Aren't you proud" is probably a better title.
    A mother-in-law's nightmare Bug Tussle Town Dogcatcher
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,527
    Rep Power 536871107

Thanks for posting the lyrics. After reading them, I think norman_damon is right - it's from a hunted creature's point of view.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

Probably won't change it doesn't bother me too much at all - just initial reaction to it. Just out of curiousity, I know it's just a rough, but was it intentional to have that hat a bit more close mic heavy in the mix than most of the kit or just luck? After the first listen, I listened again, paying attention specifically to the panning and when I asked myself "Why does it still feel heavy with all the keys hard right?" I realized that the hat was balancing things out a bit, which I guess is obvious and probably coincidental, but it struck me as sort of clever in a way. Most important thing to me is - when do we get our hands on the tracks?
    That rough is the equivelant to a "faders up" mix. Which means, I got some reasonable balances, and let it go at that. There's no EQ. No compression (other than some 2-bus compression.). Thems the tracks. The only thing I did was put a reverb on the main guitar, and some broad sectional rides of the vocal. There's some limiting on the vocal as well. And I popped a reverb on the vocal in the bridge.

That's it.

You'll find the hat is loud in the snare track. The drummer plays the hat loud. But I don't mind it, I could have reduced it during tracking but chose not to because I didn't find it problematic. It really only bothered me on one of the songs I produced, and I had to let it go because of the circumstances. In the end it was fine. You can take steps to reduce the amount of hat in this mix by how you balance the mics, and by how you EQ and compress. Also, I'm probably using quite a bit of the two room mics in that mix, which in my opinion are just a tad too bright. Others might not feel that way. I did, and when I mixed the album I dealt with that, which took all of 2 minutes time, and worked uniformly for every song.

The idea isn't for you to copy the rough. I'm just giving you a good sketch, and a good representation of how the tracks sound as a recording. How you balance, what effects you use, what you mute or accentuate, is up to you.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

I'm guessing 622 is a reference to the rifle model. Not sure which one, because there are a lot with a 622mm barrel length. Not that I'm a gun nut or anything.

"Aren't you proud" is probably a better title.
    Actually, 622 is the date the music was written. 6/22.

However, it stuck because the lyrics weren't written until a day before the album was being mixed.

I'm glad the band has chosen to call it by it's rightful name "Aren't you Proud?"

Mixerman

Join Date Feb 2007
    Posts 584
    Rep Power 536871054

That rough is the equivelant to a "faders up" mix. Which means, I got some reasonable balances, and let it go at that. There's no EQ. No compression (other than some 2-bus compression.). Thems the tracks.
    BTW - thank you for that. While having to make less than ideal performances and tracking work in a mix can provide a real challenge and learning experience, it's so much more fun and enjoyable to mix something written, performed and tracked well. I am really, really looking forward to getting a hold of the tracks.

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi no, I'm not bitter....really I'm not
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Posts 4
    Rep Power 112

Sorry for the question, but...
    When you think the tracks will be available?

Ps: sorry for my english... it's not only "poor", it just lives under a bridge

Thanks.
    Bye.
    Last edited by PAPEdROGA; April 7th, 2008 at 12:22 AM.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 242
    Rep Power 117335

Actually, 622 is the date the music was written. 6/22.

However, it stuck because the lyrics weren't written until a day before the album was being mixed.

I'm glad the band has chosen to call it by it's rightful name "Aren't you Proud?"

Mixerman
    Ha, that's great. Must just be the conspiracy theorist in me coming out.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Posts 22
    Rep Power 65094558

Somebody tell me this song is not about deer hunting.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 32
    Rep Power 134217853

Wow the song is amazing.
    Good job guys!

cant wait to get my filthy mixing hand/s on this one

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928057

Somebody tell me this song is not about deer hunting.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Went to eleven and came back to ten
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Las Vegas
    Posts 378
    Rep Power 536871046

Not sure if I'm late to the party...

I figured it out.

D

..if music has the ability to effect the masses, then it is far too serious of a tool to be left in the hands of musicians.

gitarted

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=29851784
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

The story goes like this:

Ryan starts telling me about this fucked up encounter he had with some relative of an ex-girlfriend at a family function. It was at the house of an avid hunter, who invited Ryan and the other men into his den, which was lined with the heads of his hunting trophies. Mostly deer. He started to show Ryan his various guns, and then proceeded to proudly tell him a story for each of his prizes. Ryan, who was not particularly comfortable with the discussion, got caught inadvertently looking at the biggest and most majestic buck on the wall. This prompted a most disturbing story. Hunter explains how this particular buck wouldn't die from one round to the lung. So he tried, in vain, to break the animal's neck on a tree, which apparently came with a lesson: "You can't break a fucking buck's neck on a tree." Who knew?

Then hunter lamented over having to sit in the cold for over an hour waiting for the son of a bitch to finally die. Apparently, and this was divulged unprompted, hunter didn't want to shoot the buck again because it could potentially ruin his trophy.

I'm not against hunting for population control. But I am against assholes like this guy, who will allow an animal to suffer needlessly. That's just uncalled for.

After Ryan told me the story, I had a Eureka moment. 622 should be this story, written from the perspective of the deer. I started singing (erroneously to the Rhodes arpeggio melody) "Why won't you shoot me again?" "You can't break my neck on a tree." The mere absurdity of those lines set to music had us in tears, and was worth many good laughs for the remainder of the week. I realize the story is kind of disgusting, and this might not seem funny in the compact setting of this post. But at the time, it was quite absurd, despite the seriously fucked up nature of the story.

When it came time to step up, Ryan did so in stupendous fashion. I think the lyrics are brilliant, and the perspective chilling.

When you get this mix right, the bridge should bring you to tears. The deer has been personified, and shares with us his last thoughts before he dies at the hands of a cold and thoughtless human being. We realize that he is leaving loved ones behind, and the deer takes a moment to point out the absurdity of this hunter's pride in his trophy rather than the pride he might have in himself for doing the right thing.

Thats what I take from it, anyway. Perhaps Ryan has his own thoughts to add to this. (Or even correct me if I've misrepresented anything.)

Enjoy,

Mixerman