Thread: MiX iT! 3a - Mix for Mixerman Q&A

Astrological sign is "Feces"! Went to eleven and came back to ten
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Las Vegas
    Posts 378
    Rep Power 536871046

Default Re: MiX iT! 3a- Mix for Mixerman (Q&A)

My guess was way off...

I guess I should have read this before I PM'd you...again

..if music has the ability to effect the masses, then it is far too serious of a tool to be left in the hands of musicians.

gitarted

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=29851784
    wardrobe malfunction investigator 329 M/S Hen=Mock Chicken!
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Posts 36
    Rep Power 134217845

I had a show tonight, so I wasn't able to respond to any of the questions or comments in this thread until now. I'll do my best to answer what I can remember, but it's 5:30am and I have been drinking. So here I go:

First, congratulations norman_damon for being the first to expose the meaning behind the song. You got it right. There are a few who showed signs of concern about the song being about deer hunting. Let me say that I really could give a shit about hunting. I personally don't think I could ever shoot another living thing, unless it was a life threatening situation, but if you like to hunt, fuck it, have a good time.

Mixerman did a pretty good job at telling my story for me, but I figure I should tell you from my perspective.

I originally wrote the lyrics to this song about a bass player I had to kick out of the band about 3 weeks before we went into the studio. He went a little crazy and started rifling off hate emails to everybody in the band. Some were quite comical. I was struggling with the lyrics because I have always seen myself as a person who writes melodies, and I'm still developing my lyric writing abilities. I avoided writing them until the last minute. So I was fucked and came up with the words that mixerman rejected. Here is the story that I told him when I got to LA.

I went to visit my cousin and his wife in Virginia Beach (just before going to do vocals). We went to her mother and step-father's house for dinner the night I arrived. When we got there I walked into the living room and the first thing I saw was a taxidermy collection of three mounted deer heads, a giant stuffed turkey, a huge rattle snake, and a stuffed fox proudly displayed on the walls. I was actually afraid to get too close to the snake. Anyway, I was impressed and wanted to talk to the guy about it. The first thing he did was bring me out to his garage to show me the four freezers he had that were packed with venison. Guess what we were having for dinner. So an hour later he brings me into the living room to tell me about his hunting adventures. I find out that the two deer on the left and right of the wall were your basic cut and dry kills. The one in the middle however, lovingly named, "notquickenough", had a bit of a gloomy tale.

He proceeds to tell me this; "Yeah, I got it and he went down. So I went over and he wasn't dead yet. So I tried for an hour to break it's neck on this tree, but it wasn't happening. You can't break a deer's neck on a tree man (harharhar). And you know, I didn't want to put another hole in him, cause I wanted to hang him up, so I had to sit there for another two hours until this thing finally died. I didn't want to catch a horn you know?"

So as he's telling me this, I was horrified. I was looking at him as if he just told me he punched my mother in the face. It was despicable.

I told MM the story when I got out to LA to do the vocals, and he said, that's what that song has to be about. We did in fact laugh about it for a while, but I knew he was right. It pissed me off because I agonized over the shitty lyrics I had already written for that song for days. But had he not pushed me, it would have never came out as good as it did. And for the record, the day I came in to sing that song, I had finished about 87.6% of it. MM came up with a great line, and like a great producer should do, he led me down the path to finishing it up and feeling great about it.

So the whole point of the song is not an anti-hunting song, it's more of a "fuck you asshole" to this one guy, hence the title, "Aren't You Proud?"

-Ryan
    Surfing the net at work every day! Waterbrother
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Wellington NZ
    Posts 311
    Rep Power 536871045

i've figured it out!!! but am keeping it to myself hahaha!!!
    _= 3 STARS and the SUN =_
    Joshua Manlunas on Facebook
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

So I was fucked and came up with the words that mixerman rejected.
    "Rejected" seems a bit harsh. Shall we say "disfavored"?

And for the record, the day I came in to sing that song, I had finished about 87.6% of it.
    How about 82.7%?

MM came up with a great line
    Three great lines, and I held your hand for the remainder (as a good producer should do).

We should have this all worked out soon folks!

So the whole point of the song is not an anti-hunting song, it's more of a "fuck you asshole" to this one guy, hence the title, "Aren't You Proud?"
    Indeed.

Great story, Ryan. You told it better than I did, but then, you were there.

Alright, now that we know what the song is about, I guess we can talk production notes. But that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm not exactly sure when we're making the tracks available. I should probably prepare them for that. That's up to Chris and Charles. I think the idea is to give a few days for people to sign up before we release them.

Is that right Chris?

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 1,070
    Rep Power 536871071

I'm not exactly sure when we're making the tracks available. I should probably prepare them for that. That's up to Chris and Charles. I think the idea is to give a few days for people to sign up before we release them.

Is that right Chris?

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    Exactly ... the tracks become available as soon as we close the signup thread. We wanna give everyone the same time to mix.

Chris
    Obsequious oddball Peggy Guggenheim's bartender
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Location Minneapolis
    Posts 1,399
    Rep Power 44689451

Quick question that I didn't see an answer to...sample reinforcement...permissible?
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Yellow Submarine
    Posts 584
    Rep Power 536871054

Quick question that I didn't see an answer to...sample reinforcement...permissible?
    I have to say, judging from the rough mix posted, I can't see an actual need for sample reinforcement. Even if it were allowed, where do you hear a possible need for it?
    You can hear some of my work at http://www.thedubnicks.com - feedback appreciated!

"Think of a creative way around your problem and keep your money in your pocket." - Robert Rodriguez from his "10 Minute Film School" mini-doc on the making of his first, $7000 budget movie, El Mariachi.

"Life is work, and the reward for doing that work is more work. More difficult and beautiful work." - Andrew Wagner, director of "Starting Out In The Evening" from the film's commentary track.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 120

First, congratulations norman_damon for being the first to expose the meaning behind the song. You got it right.

-Ryan
    Nice. I knew a degree in English would eventually come in handy for something.

Great song. I love the concept. Should be a fun one to mix.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 15
    Rep Power 119

I have to say, judging from the rough mix posted, I can't see an actual need for sample reinforcement. Even if it were allowed, where do you hear a possible need for it?
    I like to use stereo room snare samples instead of reverb on snare. Even on songs like this where the drums are recorded really well I still like to use the room sample. You're right though I don't think kick and close snare samples would be needed on this one.
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Posts 584
    Rep Power 536871054

I like to use stereo room snare samples instead of reverb on snare. Even on songs like this where the drums are recorded really well I still like to use the room sample. You're right though I don't think kick and close snare samples would be needed on this one.
    I hate to seem like a prick, but I don't know, it seems like there's clearly plenty of room ambience to work with as is. Am I insane?
    You can hear some of my work at http://www.thedubnicks.com - feedback appreciated!

"Think of a creative way around your problem and keep your money in your pocket." - Robert Rodriguez from his "10 Minute Film School" mini-doc on the making of his first, $7000 budget movie, El Mariachi.

"Life is work, and the reward for doing that work is more work. More difficult and beautiful work." - Andrew Wagner, director of "Starting Out In The Evening" from the film's commentary track.
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Location Minneapolis
    Posts 1,399
    Rep Power 44689451

I hate to seem like a prick, but I don't know, it seems like there's clearly plenty of room ambience to work with as is. Am I insane?
    Maybe.

Perhaps a better way to put it is that it seems to YOU that there's plenty of room ambiance.

While I tend to agree, I'm still going to make up my own mind once I've got the full set of tracks in front of me.

I just wanted to know if it was kosher or fell under the general heading of "adding." I'm not saying I will and I'm not saying I won't...I just wanted to make sure it was an option available to me.
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Posts 584
    Rep Power 536871054

Maybe.

Perhaps a better way to put it is that it seems to YOU that there's plenty of room ambiance.

While I tend to agree, I'm still going to make up my own mind once I've got the full set of tracks in front of me.

I just wanted to know if it was kosher or fell under the general heading of "adding." I'm not saying I will and I'm not saying I won't...I just wanted to make sure it was an option available to me.
    I hear ya - it is totally subjective - when it comes to drums, I'm a big freak for nice room sounds so it's definitely one of the things I listen for first when checking out a track and on this one, from listen one, I was psyched with the potential of the room mics and the drums in general so I'm just a little surprised after having listened to the track, that the ability to embellish with samples would be a top concern.

Join Date Nov 2007
    Location Minneapolis
    Posts 1,399
    Rep Power 44689451

I wouldn't call it a top concern as much as I would call it "the only question I had."
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Posts 584
    Rep Power 536871054

I wouldn't call it a top concern as much as I would call it "the only question I had."
    Point taken sir.

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts 16
    Rep Power 113

Was the song tracked to 2" and then to Radar or directly to Radar or other? What sample rate/bit depth was used and will we get the same?

I like the song and I'm very interested in getting to hear more of their material.
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Jewish Rapper... Busta Hymen
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871175

Yeah, I hate this song for this.
    I'm just in the middle of the implementation of a plug-in that allows (besides other really fucked up things) sample replacement/sound augmentation.

Nothing to do here...

Mac
    Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

Was the song tracked to 2" and then to Radar or directly to Radar or other? What sample rate/bit depth was used and will we get the same?

I like the song and I'm very interested in getting to hear more of their material.
    The song was recorded to 2". The files I'm giving you are a direct transfer from 2" to Radar. The sample rate is 44.1 the bit rate 24. That's the original sample rate and bit rate of the transfer. The total size of all the tracks is just under 600mb.

The tracks are as follows:

Bass amp
    Bass di
    Kik
    Sn.
    Oh L
    Oh R
    Room L
    Room R
    Rack
    Floor
    Mono Room
    GTR Prog dly
    GTR Ryan
    GTR Rakes
    GTR feedback
    Rhodes
    Vocal Ryan
    B3 L
    B3 R

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Baton Rouge, La
    Posts 744
    Rep Power 536871057

So that's what the RADAR sound is like, eh?

That tune is really good.

FWIW - that is probably the best "all faders up" mix I have ever heard!

Don't know if it's been said yet or not - but thanks for doing this guys. This one will be groovy.
     Certified iPod Trainer

Hard Rock with Logic

Superior Drummer 2.0 Explained
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

Nothing to do here...

Mac
    I'm always ecstatic when I get tracks that don't need "fixing." Regardless, there will be some that will be compelled to fix it anyway. And that's okay. It's all part of the learning experience.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,546
    Rep Power 2500000000

So that's what the RADAR sound is like, eh?
    This sounds best off the 2" into an analog console. The tracks take a hit when going to digital, even with the Radar. It's just the hit is minimal when compared to some other converters that one might use.

Enjoy,

Mixerman