Thread: Allen and Heath GL3300 32 desk

Craves piCklEmiLk Got punched for singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location London Town
    Posts 447
    Rep Power 268435616

Default Allen and Heath GL3300 32 desk

Has anyone used Allen and Heath GL3300 32 desk. What do you think of it funtionality,sound and pre's,ground noise etc.

I'm considering this deal http://www.sseaudiogroup.com/product...=0&fnd=2&srch=

seems reasonable price.

Thanks
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,583
    Rep Power 536871092

Default Re: Allen and Heath GL3300 32 desk

I hate the GL series. In my experience, they're unreliable (especially if they move around a lot), prone to hums, and I don't like the EQ. Or lack thereof.

BUT...

For the money you probably won't find much better in terms of the feature list. If it's gonna be sat still for it's lifetime then you might be OK. Just don't expect stellar results.

I guess it all comes down to what you're used to; if you've been mixing on a Bare-Ringer bit of gear so far, the A&H may well be heaven for you.
    I'm probably talking shit.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location London Town
    Posts 447
    Rep Power 268435616

I guess it all comes down to what you're used to; if you've been mixing on a Bare-Ringer bit of gear so far, the A&H may well be heaven for you.
    Soundcraft live 4 discontinued and due to be lobbed out the window.... thats heaven.

Thanks Axe
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Real purdy mouth
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location At the console, or cleaning the toilet
    Posts 1,210
    Rep Power 536871078

Lotsa' guys say the same as Axe about a lot of gear.

Personally, I don't give a rats ass unless it's a Smackie, Crest or one of Hans Ringer's Ripoff specials. Those three boards just make me cringe when I see em'.

The GL3300 certainly isn't Allen & Grief's flagship console, but they are serviceable. The EQ are ok... just don't look for any boost... cut only.

The thing I do like, in general, are the pre's. They aren't super bite you ear off.

The TRS connectors have a tendency to wear a bit if the thing wasn't in a good roadcase w/a solid doghouse. You can fix em or replace em'... but it's a PITA.

I think you'ld be better off scraping a few more coins together and snagging a Midas Venice.

Baring that, it's not a bad console... but it certainly ain't a great console.
    Large dairy air enthusiast Runs a 4.35 forty...yeah right!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,194
    Rep Power 536871079

we run a GL2400 and its moved 3 times a week (on wheels) and have experienced no problems whatsoever. Though I would tend to agree on the EQ quality.
    "There is no movement in golf that cannot be made more difficult through diligent study and practice." - Leslie Nielson

"do not misconstrue a lack of planning on YOUR part for a crisis on MY part." - Shotgun

www.bowermanstudios.com
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location London Town
    Posts 447
    Rep Power 268435616

Yes i've suggested the venice but its to much coin, the venue has just shelled out for a new 3 way jbl pa and stack of crown amps, new mics and install this week so just enough left over for a desk in this price range.. i'm happy any way as we got rid of a stinking old turbo sound rig that sounded like balls which they have had for a life time... i've only been working this venue for 2weeks and i've alraedy managed to blag all this new kit in so cant be milking much more.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,210
    Rep Power 536871078

i've only been working this venue for 2weeks and i've alraedy managed to blag all this new kit in so cant be milking much more.

Why not?
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Atlanta
    Posts 439
    Rep Power 536871050

I hate the GL series. In my experience, they're unreliable (especially if they move around a lot), prone to hums, and I don't like the EQ. Or lack thereof.

I completely disagree with all of this regards the GL series in general. I haven't used a 3300, but I dig drag an ancestor of it around to various parts of the country for several years with zero trouble, zero hum, zero noise, zero maintenance and zero complaints. I think the EQ is fine and the flexibility of the A&H line is unmatchable at similar price points.

I would whole-heartedly support said purchase, unless, as Bob says, you've got more money. And of course, if you HAVE more money, SPEND more money. That should go on a t-shirt.

Big A&H fan,
    ~S
    -------

Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,583
    Rep Power 536871092

I completely disagree with all of this regards the GL series in general. I haven't used a 3300, but I dig drag an ancestor of it around to various parts of the country for several years with zero trouble, zero hum, zero noise, zero maintenance and zero complaints. I think the EQ is fine and the flexibility of the A&H line is unmatchable at similar price points.

I would whole-heartedly support said purchase, unless, as Bob says, you've got more money. And of course, if you HAVE more money, SPEND more money. That should go on a t-shirt.

Big A&H fan,
    ~S
    You got lucky then.

We've had a GL4, a GL4000, and a Mix Wizard (used to be called the GL2 I'm told) that have all suffered from a LONG list of recurring complaints, despite being very well flightcased. The GL4 got to the point where it was breaking on every gig.

We also had a 3300 that came through here in an absolutely dreadful state (although I'm told it had been through hell and back), and every year we have to rebuild Butlins' GL series desks when service time comes around, usually with a hefty list of problems on each of them. GL4000s mostly.

We've had to sell them all of ours on and replace them.

The EQ is not bad for the price, but compared to even our ancient Soundcraft 8000 it's poo. The 8000 walks all over it IMO.

But hey, if you like it, you like it. Just sayin' I don't, and we've had a vast number of bad experiences with them.

The only thing we've bought from A&H for a while has been their LED desk lights (which are actually VERY good, and FAR cheaper than the equivalent from Littlite).

All of that said, those desks were getting old. We have got a somewhat newer Mix Wizard that hasn't surprisingly had any problems. Yet.
    I'm probably talking shit.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,210
    Rep Power 536871078

My experience is somewhat on the opposite side...

GL2200's GL4's, GL3's, GL3300, GL2's, and Mix Wiz's. Of all the A&H consoles I've worked on and with... The Mix Wiz ain't worth whizzin' on IMO.

The one GL3 has had some issues, but jebus, it's like older than bubba... and you kind of expect that after a point.

My GS3000's about ready for a recap, but it's performed very well over the years. Then again, the GS3000's a bit different of an aminal than the GL series boards.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date May 2007
    Location Netherlands
    Posts 21
    Rep Power 125

I'm not much of an expert but I do know the Allen + Heath 16:2 Console Mix Wizard, since it is the desk available at the venue where I did most my live-sound gigs. It was a used desk when they got it 2+ years ago and after a few months chanels crapped out.. I googled a bit and found that the way the wiring was connected to the faders was a bit crappy.. they have the wiring to the faders connected via a soldering pin which is crimped to the wire.. A bit like the image below:

The connection of the crimping is gets crappy with age and therefore I opened the unit and soldered all these crimped connetions together. [Edit: Not together... duh.. but to its wire, soldering the crimped-part so the bad connection is fixed..] All the crappy ch were working fine again since..

On the GL series desks: recently I worked for a pro sound rental company with the 40ch version: I like it alot, eq and all.. but then again, what do I know.