Thread: FREE (Cheap) Indispensable Plugz

Join Date Dec 2006
    Location NYC
    Posts 56
    Rep Power 268435598

Default Re: The free (Or nearly) indispensable plug-in thread

Elaborating on Zoesch's steer toward digitalfishphones, don't forget Dominion, also available at that site. You won't need it if you have Transient Designer or Trans-X, but it's a great, free plug to use when you need to emphasize or de-emphasize attacks on a signal.

Also, I just stumbled across a much better LP filter, also a freebie, from a company called Admiral Quality. It's Naive Filter, and is a nice, thick low pass that also has a fun envelope control that can help you get some great rhythmic sounds going.

I'd replace the Galleoneer filter (mentioned in my above post) with this one. I would have done it without adding this klunky extra post, but apparently making something a sticky disables one's ability to edit one's posts.

Is that an option we can change, O Great Webmaster Charles? If the option to edit is restored (don't know if it's possible), I can update my post with tasty new plugins as I find them, without having to add these scattered addendums.

Cheers all.

[Edit: Oh, weird. I can edit this post, just not the earlier ones. Hmmm.]
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Istanbul, Turkey now...
    Posts 713
    Rep Power 536871064

A former Digidesign employee friend of mine has been working on a softsynth called SynthMaster for sometime and he is offering a free version of it on his website at the moment.

It is currently Windows XP only and in VST, VSTi, DXi and RTAS versions, but he is working on the Mac compilations and hoping to offer them in the very near future.

To obtain its free fully working version:

http://www.kv331audio.com

B.
    Sweet Child o' Mime Theo's brother the Painter
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Pretentious City, Straya
    Posts 1,838
    Rep Power 536871102

Nice Barish but why oh why does NOBODY implement Amplitude Modulation in their synths anymore?

(Missing his Ensoniq SQ-80 like hell)
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Istanbul, Turkey now...
    Posts 713
    Rep Power 536871064

Well, we'll get one with AM implemented in compiled for you then. Bülent is a mate. He grew up with my cousins back in Ankara. I don't think he'd deny our request

Special Zoesch Edition.

Come to think of it. It sounds pretty cool to my ears

B.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,838
    Rep Power 536871102

Well, we'll get one with AM implemented in compiled for you then. Bülent is a mate. He grew up with my cousins back in Ankara. I don't think he'd deny our request

Special Zoesch Edition.

Come to think of it. It sounds pretty cool to my ears

B.
    Actually if it ends up having a modulation matrix like the Ensoniq synths and Amplitude Modulation it'd become pretty much my go to synth for sound design.

It's amazing what having freely routable LFO/Envelopes can do for sound design

(And yes I love the name... hehehehehehehe)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,389
    Rep Power 402653959

Is that an option we can change, O Great Webmaster Charles? [Edit: Oh, weird. I can edit this post, just not the earlier ones. Hmmm.]
    It's on a timer.
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi no, I'm not bitter....really I'm not
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 4
    Rep Power 130

Nice Barish but why oh why does NOBODY implement Amplitude Modulation in their synths anymore?

(Missing his Ensoniq SQ-80 like hell)
    SynthMaster has indeed "tremolo" effect, which is basicly AM. Isn't that what you're looking for?
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 4
    Rep Power 130

Actually if it ends up having a modulation matrix like the Ensoniq synths and Amplitude Modulation it'd become pretty much my go to synth for sound design.

It's amazing what having freely routable LFO/Envelopes can do for sound design
    In SynthMaster:

1. Every osc/modulator/filter has its own envelope.

2. Mod sources are:
    SideChain
    SideChain Envelope
    Mod 1
    Mod 2
    Mod 1+Mod 2
    Mod 1*Mod 2
    Mod 3
    Mod 4
    Mod 3+Mod 4
    Mod 4*Mod 4

3. Mod destinations are:
    Mod Phase
    Mod Frequency
    Osc Volume
    Osc Frequency
    Osc Phase/Pulse Width (if the osc is a pulse wave)
    Filter Cutoff (there's audio rate cutoff modulation!)
    Filter Reso
    Filter Gain

There are also 2 global free running LFOs that can modulate any of the 1000+ parameters' value, via generating MIDI CCs.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,838
    Rep Power 536871102

SynthMaster has indeed "tremolo" effect, which is basicly AM. Isn't that what you're looking for?
    Heya there Bülent, thanks for registering and taking time to answer our questions here, really appreciated

About tremolo, not even close, the ESQ-1 and SQ-80 (And the VFX) allowed you to select any wave from the ROM and use it to modulate amplitude, sure you could do tremolo style effects but grafting say a drum hit to modulate the amplitude of a bass gave you a lot more options to design sounds. Graft the attack of a sampled violin onto your sine pad? No problem grab the Violin ROM wave and use it to AM the pad. You could also do AM with the oscilators meaning you could develop really complex pads through feeding back the oscilator to control amplitude before (or after) the envelope.

It's a neat concept that I wish more developers would incorporate into their synths.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 4
    Rep Power 130

It's a neat concept that I wish more developers would incorporate into their synths.
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain the concept Zoesch!

Well, you can achieve this sort of AM with SynthMaster in 2 different ways:

1. By using 2 plug-in instances instead of 1: Use the first one as the modulator and connect it to the "sidechain" input of the second. That's easily done on Protools, but I have no idea how it can be achieved on other hosts like Cubase/Logic (Who needs them anyways when you have PT, right folks? )

2. The second method is to use Osc 1 to module Osc2. Osc 1 can modulate the amplitude of Osc 2, so that might help you achieve your goal again. BTW, All 3 oscillators are additive, i.e. their waveform is constructed in real-time by the combination of 8 different waveforms.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location DownUnder
    Posts 1,416
    Rep Power 536871087

When can expect the AU version for us ProTools challenged?
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 4
    Rep Power 130

When can expect the AU version for us ProTools challenged?
    The development for the OSX platform will hopefuly start in February. First the VST version will be released, then RTAS, and then AU. That might be as early as May, or maybe June. It's hard to come with a definite estimation though, because the whole code base has to be ported to OSX , and then extensively tested before released.
    Last edited by kv331audio; January 18th, 2007 at 03:13 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,838
    Rep Power 536871102

A good compendium of freeware plugs

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/so...udio/Plug-ins/
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location NYC
    Posts 56
    Rep Power 268435598

Excellent resource, Zoesch!

Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871161

Good find Zoesch, thanks for that. Gonna check some of these out soon...
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Thinks Ringo's wife is a famous Classical Composer
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Digging my own hole
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 134217910

didnt see this mentioned anywhere yet, so:

http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/

free vst ensoniq 80 synth
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,276
    Rep Power 536871516

Sorry if someone already posted this.....

But This Guy has several cool plugins which are free (but will give you a nag screen on startup until you donate something).

Only tried the reverb so far, but I found it pretty damn useful, natural-sounding with a smooth tail. Also does small rooms and early reflections well. Can be a bit of a CPU hog, but allows you to adjust quality vs. CPU usage with a fader.
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Jewish Rapper... Busta Hymen
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871178

Sorry if someone already posted this.....

But This Guy has several cool plugins which are free (but will give you a nag screen on startup until you donate something).

Only tried the reverb so far, but I found it pretty damn useful, natural-sounding with a smooth tail. Also does small rooms and early reflections well. Can be a bit of a CPU hog, but allows you to adjust quality vs. CPU usage with a fader.
    I can second your finding, this reverb (full version) is included with most
    Garritan products, sounds good and is easy to use.

Mac
    Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

knows every handout in every town Does FOH for "Trooper"
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Helsinki, Finland
    Posts 623
    Rep Power 313193325

I got all of the free smartelectronix stuff, make sure to check out Geometer. It's here: http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/

Makes things insane in a more fun way than most other "crazy" free plugs (face it, most of them are meant to make you go "OMG, what the fuck happened to my audio?".

6x2
    Joan River's boytoy FBI Agent searching hard-drives
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871090

Default Re: The FREE (or Nearly) Indispensable Plug-In Thread

I got some here from Airwindows, my company.

Actually I have tons, but most are somewhere between $10 and $50 from a Kagi store I'm making.

These are the totally free ones

Channel
    http://www.airwindows.com/f/Channel.dmg
    This is the one that imitates Neve, API and SSL behaviors. It contains a stripped-down version of my Highpass plugin (the pay version is adjustable and has a loose/tight control, this one's preset to where the device in question was rolling off- generally very low), plus the Drive and Slew plugins. It's got a control for cheating the level to get more or less effect- zero db should be the very subtle amounts you'd get from the real device.

Edit: as of 2:30 Monday EST this IS a universal binary- first time around, it was a PPC build. cripes! Now it's the right build.
    Edit: as of 7:57 Monday night EST it's compiled with OTHER_REZ_FLAGS -d ppc_$ppc -d i386_$i386. Because everybody would remember to do THAT when building for Intel macs. ahahaha.
    Edit: as of 11:36 Monday night EST, did I say OTHER_REZ_FLAGS -d ppc_$ppc -d i386_$i386? Of course I meant -rd -d ppc_$(ppc) -d i386_$(i386). Right? Ahahahahahahahahahaha...

FreeChamberCJ and FreeverbCJ
    http://www.airwindows.com/f/FreeChamberCJ.dmg
    http://www.airwindows.com/f/FreeverbCJ.dmg
    These are of course from the trusty Jezar algorithm- but taken to the next level! I've got an extra set of comb filters in there, and all the constants have been re-hacked so it does NOT sound like Freeverb anymore. The chamber version has much smaller spaces, and the hall version is actually quite a bit larger. Both have predelay, and the damping algorithm is substantially changed, enough to make both these verbs behave completely different from most Freeverb knockoffs. They're both free because they are still derived from Freeverb.

They are AU plugins, and universal binaries so they SHOULD run on Intel as well as PPC. I've got PPC, so I'd love to hear from anyone running these successfully on Intel. This is going to be my 'demo' mechanism: if you want to try out a plugin, try one of the free ones to see if it runs happily on your machine and AU host. If it does- specifically, if Channel does, since it's the same codebase as the pay plugs- you should be good to go.

Have fun,
    Chris
    Last edited by chrisj; February 6th, 2007 at 06:37 AM. Reason: ahahahahahahaha