Thread: MiX iT! 3d - Discuss It: General

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871117

Default MiX iT! 3d - Discuss It: General

The discussion threadz are NOT just for the mixers. Everyone is very much encouraged to participate. MiX iT! is an educational event for EVERYBODY.

Please visit the Post It thread to listen to the possibly 200+ (!!!) mixes.

MiX iT! 3 - Discuss It: General

Sponsored by Kagi Media and Auraleo Advanced Learning

Here are the threads for this phase:

This time around we will move to the featured mixes discussion almost immediately, while the general discussion will continue @ the same time. Instead of being sequential, the discussion threads will run in parallel.

This will allow everyone to discuss their mixes in the general thread, while also allowing everyone to participate in the discussion of the mixes highlighted in the featured threads – where we will choose 2 or 3 mixes to focus on, and dissect + discuss them in much greater detail.

Timeline

Both this discussion and the featured mixes discussion will run concurrently for the next few weeks. The general discussion begins now + the featured mixes discussion will begin in a few days.

Discuss It Guidelines

You can discuss anything you would like.

This should be a learning experience for all participants--whether you're a seasoned mixer doing this 24/7, or this is actually your very first mix--you're here to learn. And even if you didn't mix the song you're encouraged to participate in the discussions. This thread is not for MiX iT! mixers only. We would like to hear from all our forum members.

And please remember, positive + constructive criticism or opinions are, more often than not, of more value to both the mixer + the reader than negative comments.

Let's discuss these mixes + learn more about mixing.

Thanx!
    Chris + Charles
    Last edited by Charles Dye; May 9th, 2008 at 03:08 AM.
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Monument, Colorado
    Posts 420
    Rep Power 536871051

Default Re: MiX iT! 3d - Discuss It: General

"POP" goes the Cherry....

Sorry just wanted to say that. No speakers at work so I cannot listen just yet.... Cannot wait though!

Doc

My MixIt3 tune...
    http://mixer.tbrstudio.com/MixIt3_IntelDoc.m4a
    MONUMENT SOUND

MONUMENT SOUND ON REVERBNATION

Monument Sound Fan Page

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
    Rep point slut. Thinks Ringo's wife is a famous Classical Composer
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Location Las Vegas, NV
    Posts 64
    Rep Power 268435591

I listened to the first nine mixes so far. I wasn't expecting so much processing, to be honest. I dare say, some of you went a little overboard with the reverb The song was well tracked, why all of the extra compression and eq? I'll be posting mine up soon, so you all will get a stab at it too.

indie
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Oblivion
    Posts 555
    Rep Power 536871057

A few comments, for what they're worth, which might not be much. Just one person's initial reactions. There's almost no chance I'll be listening to 180 mixes, but I'll get to what I can over the next couple of weeks.

Here's the initial batch:

danbee: Drums a bit distant to me, same with guitar – too much swimming. Generally enjoyed the vocal treatments. Nice lift going into the chorus.

Numb Thumb: Perhaps too much ambience on everything, indistinct. Really liked the bridge, although I thought I heard some undesirable pumping. Could just be me, though. Nice ideas towards the end of the tune, coming out of the last chorus.

billy gimp: Interesting choice to keep the count off (or part of it, at least). Not sure I liked it (the count-off, that is). As with the other entries so far, there’s a LOT of reverb everywhere. Sounds like you pumped the mix into an empty gymnasium as squashed the hades out of the return. Tough to listen to, can’t make anything out, including the vocals at times.

seawell: Well balanced. Snare sample doesn’t feel right to me – sticks out like a sore thumb. However, this is a very good mix.

chckn8r: Everything very thin sounding, lots of energy lost. Where’s the beef? Too much radical EQ, methinks. What happened to all those great sounds? The voxs ride on top of everything a bit too much. I like what you did at the end of the tune with the Rhodes fading into ever-increasing ambience - nice touch.

IntelDoc: Interesting backwards effect on the Rhodes. I like the bass sound. Also, although there’s a lot of reverb going on, I can still distinguish stuff ‘cause not everything is swimming. Still probably too wet overall for my tastes, but that’s just me. Quality mix
    Last edited by Calvin; May 1st, 2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo

"My experience has been that people who perceive a conflict between science and spirituality generally know very little about one or the other. Often they know very little about both." - Bob Ohlsson

"Real men do hard things." - Anonymous - Don't know who said it first, but I like it.
    Hates these rank titles! Ends jokes with… That's what she said
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Derbyshire, UK
    Posts 205
    Rep Power 352725034

I hear ya on the reverb, especially somewhat so on mine. I drenched the vox in a sweet Breverb :P

Vox: I used the Eiosis de-esser plug (my first time trying it in a session). I was impressed with what it could actually do, but I need to read the manual to grasp all the features.

Drums: I compressed and eq'd with the SSL E-Channel plug and sent them to two buses... 1 for the verses and the other to blend in behind the break to the chorus.

I wish I would have had some more time on this track as with the drums I would have sampled and replaced a good cracking snare hit over the track and eq'd the OH's a lot more to remove the hi hat - it just stuck out too much I my mix I felt/feel.

Bass: Listening to some of the other mixes I feel we really need some info/guidance how to eq the resonance caused by notes, I'd like to be able to smooth all notes over somewhat but still obviously keep the performance and not make it dull/flat. Any ideas?

Guitars: I pretty much left them, just eq'd a touch here and there to make them sit using the Waves V-Series plugs.

Keys: I believe I only eq'd the Rhodes removing some low end and raised around 5k to bring out the key noise.

What else... erm...

My goal was to make this track rock! lol. Like I said this was kinda ruch job for me as I had other things on so I would have like to have spent more time with getting things right along the lines of automation, smoothing the bass throughout the track and having time to get to grips with some plugs I haven't used in a while - it was an experiment in some respects.

Cheers

Congrats to everyone, and huge thanks to the band and mixerman
    How bad is you lifestyle when it freaks out Snoop Dog? Ask Amy Winehouse!

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 10.5.8/6.4, 13GB Ram, Digi 002, PT 8.0.4/9, and lots of plugs... mmm!!!

Affiliate - http://multiplatinumprotools.com/cat...e_banner_id=13

CV: http://www.box.net/shared/fpeobmn4k4
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 420
    Rep Power 536871051

IntelDoc: Interesting backwards effect on the Rhodes. I like the bass sound. Also, although there’s a lot of reverb going on, I can still distinguish stuff ‘cause not everything is swimming. Still probably too wet overall for my tastes, but that’s just me. Quality mix
    Thanks Calvin. It is a tad more verb than I would use, but really not alot on the sends. The ambient room of the drums is pretty much taking it. I wanted that "Carnie" like vibe with this tune that I heard. It was pretty erie sounding. I sent the rooms and ov's to the Distressors and Trident so that probably enhanced it. I try to set the effects back in the mix alot and make room for the punch. Thanks for listening and for the comments.

Doc
    MONUMENT SOUND

Monument Sound Fan Page

Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 420
    Rep Power 536871051

Bass: Listening to some of the other mixes I feel we really need some info/guidance how to eq the resonance caused by notes, I'd like to be able to smooth all notes over somewhat but still obviously keep the performance and not make it dull/flat. Any ideas?
    Outboard 1176 - X73i - Eventide Omnipressor plugin.

Other option that I am craving - VAC RAC for compression

Doc
    MONUMENT SOUND

Monument Sound Fan Page

once played a seventh chord in a folk song Saw Yentle 46 times
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217867

danbee: Drums a bit distant to me, same with guitar – too much swimming. Generally enjoyed the vocal treatments. Nice lift going into the chorus.
    Cheers for the comments mate, I did work very hard on the vocal!

The drums were deliberate. I liked the room mic sound so used it to keep the drums quite ambient during the verses. There was no additional reverb on any of the drum tracks apart from the toms.

As for the guitar, I kinda felt that had to be hugely ambient so maybe I did go a little overboard!
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Posts 33
    Rep Power 134217850

Thanks for the comments, Calvin. I certainly got crazy with the effects at the tail end of the chorus, but I was kind of going for an amorphous wash. If I may return the favor....I liked your mix...well-balanced and punchy. I thought the vocal was a tad distant, but perhaps that's just my taste. Nice energy overall though.

Its quite interesting to hear so many interpretations.
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Oblivion
    Posts 555
    Rep Power 536871057

One more comment today. I couldn't resist giving CaptainHook's mix a spin. He's one of my favorite mixers around these parts, and he didn’t disappoint. Great work here. Gonna be giving this a bunch of listens. Lots of stuff I could comment on, but in particular I loved the vox – always sitting just right, and I liked the vox treatments as well. Guitar sounds angry, hurt – love it. Bottom end sounding just right in my room, and the drums kill. I also dig the way Captain finds little parts to highlight throughout the tune – could be a fill on the Rhodes, or whatever. This one’s going to be hard to beat!
    Last edited by Calvin; May 1st, 2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: typo

"My experience has been that people who perceive a conflict between science and spirituality generally know very little about one or the other. Often they know very little about both." - Bob Ohlsson

"Real men do hard things." - Anonymous - Don't know who said it first, but I like it.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Derbyshire, UK
    Posts 205
    Rep Power 352725034

CaptainHook's mix is quite superb! Can't wait to get some details on what was done.

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 10.5.8/6.4, 13GB Ram, Digi 002, PT 8.0.4/9, and lots of plugs... mmm!!!

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Los Angeles
    Posts 873
    Rep Power 536871068

Thanks for the comments...
    Hey, Thumb, I rather liked your mix for its tonal balance and vocal sound ALTHOUGH I thought it pumped way too much on the loud parts.

Aside from that, probably my favorite from page 1.
    "One Moment, Please."
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Posts 21
    Rep Power 122

I'll second that. I worked on my mix for a while and felt the bass was just to boomy/resonant in parts. I thought it was something I was doing so I pulled up the rough mix (which I hadn't listened to) and was somewhat relieved to find out that's just what the bass sounded like. I ended up going with a sharp dip around 100 and a boost around 150, then like a 1db shelf @ 100 if I remember correctly. I feel like I tamed the resonances properly but I'm still not quite happy with it.

I've listened to a few so far and me thinks some people listened to the rough mix 1 too many times before they mixed theirs. Several mixes went with the hard panned rhodes and guitar, which is fine for the intro and verse but I felt those mixes lacked power in the choruses. (Now watch mixerman post his with the hard pan and it sounds great). Also, lots of boom from the bass on some, which was quite overbearing, IMHO.

I actually agree with the judicious use of reverb by most. To me, this song wasn't about a "band playing in a rehersal space" or club, it's a sparse arangement that benefited from some space and depth, however some implemented it better than others.

One other trend - I can't believe how many people didn't mute the "silent" tracks in the beginning and end. There's a ton of hiss on there, did you want to show off the "tape" sound? I even heard the tamborine on one mix! Looking foward to this discussion.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Derbyshire, UK
    Posts 205
    Rep Power 352725034

Few more notes...

I flipped the drums' panning to engineer perspective. In hind-sight listening to all your mixes I should have perhaps left it as is, 'cause it does sound nice a la Phil Collins... hehe (OT, best drummer hands down IMHO).

P.s. I used PT as in my sig for mixing.

Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 420
    Rep Power 536871051

One other trend - I can't believe how many people didn't mute the "silent" tracks in the beginning and end. There's a ton of hiss on there, did you want to show off the "tape" sound? I even heard the tamborine on one mix! Looking foward to this discussion.

Hahaha! That is the first piece of automation that I did. Did not help either that I had a ugly ground loop on my 73 before I figured it out later. DOH!

Doc
    MONUMENT SOUND

Monument Sound Fan Page

Quantum Psychic Passed out in public restroom
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location California. by the bay
    Posts 242
    Rep Power 117336

I muted all tracks at the start except the rhodes and yes, the tamborine. But I know mine still has a lot of hiss because of the eq I wanted on the rhodes. I stuck a lowpass on it @10k but then I thought, nah fuck it. Embrace the hiss!
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 420
    Rep Power 536871051

So I figured I would start off with a HUGE review of the files that I have downloaded thus far. Each tune had its own flare to it for sure. I listened to pretty much each song all the way through. Some had more detail than others for review. Glad to hear everybody’s take on this song. I am sure Mixerman will be pleased.
    So here are my constructive reviews on the initial batch. 1 billion more to go
    -------------------------------------------------------------

CALVIN:
    Chorus effect is different not sure if I liked it or not. Kinda mde me feel like I was in church? Like the CRACK accent that you did with the words though. Cool tough. Like the dry feel of it and that to me kept the creepy feel to the song. Drums sound great. My ear pulled to much to the LEFT side though which bugged me. Seemed like too many instruments were focused there? Cool vocals, not too wet, not too dry. Good mix…

DANBEE:
    Very dry mix, but kept the vocal performance. Like how you focused on the Rhodes it seemed. Cool mix…

NUMB:
    You changed the guitar parts at the beginning! What happened to the vibrato. BALLSY! ;-) Liked the vocals, but it seemed like the verb too over towards the 1 minute mark of the song like it was automating up? Things started to get garbled a bit. Nice idea though.

BILLY:
    Not a fan of the clicks to start, sorry. The effect on the guitar at the beginning is interesting, but seems to comical for the song. Lots of verb on the tune to start which really washes it out. Vocals are nice…

SEAWELL:
    Like the theatrical CRACK on the phrase. A few have done that and it was kinda cool.
    Nice mix and like the automation on the keys….. Nice snare, very poppy. Maybe a bit more verb than I would have used on the vocals. Ear pulls more to the left around 1:30. Maybe a delay to the right? Cool mix.

OUTRE:
    Nice retention of the vocals. Again, another one who did the snare CRACK to the distance thing. Interesting…. I feel like I am in a horror movie with this one. Cool mix

CHCKN8R:
    Cut that noise in the intro. The keys seem LOUD at the intro, enough to distort my speakers. The snare sounds a little thin and the kick is a little too low. Seems that you focused on the vocals a lot? Maybe back the vox down a few db and push the faders on the guitar a bit more? Vox are VERY loud. Good job.

MAARTEN:
    Same thing as Chicken… The keys are a bit loud in the intro? Still not a fan of the guitar delay in the intro. To me a vibrato effect on the guitar is enough and anything else distracts. His effect with that while tracking was pretty damn cool too. Electrics sound good. I feel that the vocals could bump down a notch though and let the other stuff come through just a tad. Maybe a db or two? Cool mix. Not a lot of verb too. Kinda bright? Just slightly.

KNASTRATT:
    Nice mellow mix. Kept it simple and seems that you used all the original sounds? Very organic. Kept the creep in the tune. I guess I mix more aggressively, but I like this tune. Guitars maybe u a db and a little less verb on them, but the bass sits well. Again, kept it simple. Nice Mix.

TANNOY:
    Nice mix. Kept it dry, but still added a few things in there. Tambo parts. Nice reversed snare effect. Cool, simple mix. NICE….

ASHLEY:
    Like the approach. The dry vocals with a distant tail was a good effect. I think in this tune it would have been a bit better if there was a little more bass, or maybe a acoustic being strummed. I like it up until you hammered the reverb on it. Seems that it turns into a whole new song and I have not heard that much verb since Whitesnake. It was a cool idea though and I respect your creative approach to it. I think if you brought the verb up on that one part, but backed off the decay a little and then made it HUGE sound wise with the vocals and drums, etc it would have had a lot more impact. The washed verb made it tough to listen to completely. BIG VERB though. ;-) Cool ideas and again, just constructive criticism. Cool Mix.

STARFUCKER:
    Like the intro. Seems that the guitar verb is slightly too much compared to the rest of the instruments. Very dry vocals and drums and then this washed guitar. I get the idea though, just feel that it is a bit too washed? Just my opinion though. Again, my ears draw to the LEFT of the mix when the electric comes in, then you panned it center. Cool use of automation for that, but when it starts my ears sits to the left. Maybe bump the key a notch and lowe the guitar a db?? Cool mix..

FIZBIN:
    Not a fan of the added effect on the keys. LOUD mix though. Vocals are a tad too loud for my tastes. I would automate that delay on them more to the side and lower into the mix. Ambient sounds I guess. Kinda distracted my ears some. Cool mix. LOUD!

HAMONRYE:
    Softest mix so far, seemed a tad muffled? Nicely set though. Just seemed a tad muffled?

AMATER:
    Again, not a big fan of the added vibrato at the intro. Makes the tune seem like there is jitter going on and affects the vocals. Very dry mix. Interesting…

GLITCHFACTOR:
    Second softest mix. Mix seems a bit more centered than the others. Nice approach. Not sure what to say on this one. Soft? ;-)

MORTENDK:
    I think that you could have brought the intro guitars up a tad. You are another one who did the snare crack. (Interesting again) To me that seems very theatrical for the tune. If I heard that on the radio I would expect to see a movie. I hear a strange echo going on with your hi hat? Was there a effect on it? Interesting. Vocals break up around 1:25 like you pushed them a tad too hot? Same with guitars. Pushed a tad hot

MKZ:
    Like the slap echo to the left with the guitars in the intro. May be slightly too much? And you are another one with the snare “Crack in the distance” thinig. Too funny. Like the vocals and the bass came through very nice. Kick sounds great. Cool mix.

BAELI:
    Not a fan of the keys in the intro. I really dig the original creepy sound he tracked. No worries. Seems that you could push the instruments a bit more? The vocals seem to stand up front more and they sound good! I would back them back though and let the instruments come up.

MOLLY:
    Nice smooth vocals. Not pushed hard and sit well. Simple mix. Cool mix. Nice job.

REVMEN:
    LOUD! Nice loud start. Vocals seem a bit loud, well everything seems loud! You might have the loudest one so far? To me it takes away from the songs creepy feel. Dynamics seem to be gone? Super loud….. Interesting, might be one to talk more on about mastering and dynamics.

CAPTAIN HOOK:
    Always cool mixes man. Vocals sit nice and still hold that growl that was captured. A little left pull at 1:25 with the guitars, but I do like how you pull out things. The key at 1:35 with the guitar was a cool touch. Cool mix man.

TAKK:
    Very dry mix. Vocals are the most dry of all the mixes I think? Simple mix. Nice touches.

BOOMAN:
    Another slighter dry mix. Nice snare. Very punchy. I would like to hear the kick more on this. Seems to be more center focused on the instruments and not wide. Interesting approach.

VONRADDATZ:
    Nice level overall. Not too much verb. Seems like there is more mid on this mix than the others? Vocals could have been pushed or automated a bit more to bring the feel. A little more kick too maybe. Cool mix.

MAGICCHORD:
    Still not a fan of the key effects. I really liked the original sounds. Seems to make it more of a 70’s tune gone carnie. Like the vocals you did and the drums sound great. Interesting mix.

FREDSANFORD:
    Mellow mix. Not too washed. You are another one who did the SNARE crack thing. Make me smile everytime I hear a mix with that effect. I guess it is cool, but seems too predicted with the words, etc. Again reminds me of a movie title. Cool mix.

KPHAYES:
    Key effect not liking that. A bit more verb than I would use, but made it get a mood. Sort the CRACK effect on that verse. Seems that the snare is in front of the vocals? I would back that a notch. Cool mix.

UNCLEOZZY:
    Soft mix at first, then the vocals come in. I would like to hear the guitar up a notch. ANOTHER one with the CRACK thing. Too funny. I think that is almost half on this bunch. Cool mix.

PRUNELLE:
    The effect to start is too distorted for my ears? Seems to take away from the creep vibe on the tune. Vocals are a bit harsh too. Need to bring the low end back. They are a bit too loud too. Maybe 3db down and let the instruments come out. Interesting.

PIMP-X:
    Last but not least (1 million more to go) but Pimp was the last on my initial batch. Sadly though I cannot listen to this one? It will not play on my laptop. ;-(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great job guys. Please know that this is all subjective and constructive. Just trying to chime in my part of collaborating and giving feedback. Should be sick as hell of this tune in the end, but at least the band will have a ton of feedback. ;-)

DOC
    MONUMENT SOUND

Monument Sound Fan Page

wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Posts 33
    Rep Power 134217850

Hey, Thumb, I rather liked your mix for its tonal balance and vocal sound ALTHOUGH I thought it pumped way too much on the loud parts.

Aside from that, probably my favorite from page 1.
    Thanks, MagicChord. I guess I just like pumping and drenched vocals. Kind of went energy crazy in the choruses. I'm partial to the blurry wash. It all makes sense after a few thousand cocktails, to me anyway.
    A mother-in-law's nightmare Bug Tussle Town Dogcatcher
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,527
    Rep Power 536871108

Hi,

Great job as well, Doc! Wow, huge review on the very 1st day. Thanks for that and for your kind words. Mine will take at least till sunday since I'm on dial-up connection here and the downloading lasts for years

Listened through some tunes roughly and was fascinated by the fact, that the mixing really brings out what the woman/man behind the faders sees in the story that the song tells. Know what I mean ? I can feel anger, pure hate + sarcasm throughout the song at one mix, the next maybe is stepping from desperation, anger, love to resignation...very cool!

Best,

Marco.
    "Here ain't there..." - Unfcknblvbl, June 17th, 2010
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 420
    Rep Power 536871051

Great job as well, Doc! Wow, huge review on the very 1st day.
    I was bored after work and started mixing a tune for a lady in Switzerland today. The tune is all in French so I have no idea what it is saying. Sounds lovely though.

My pleasure man. Just wanted to give some feedback on this tune.

Doc
    MONUMENT SOUND

Monument Sound Fan Page