Thread: MiX iT! 3d - Discuss It: General

In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Oblivion
    Posts 555
    Rep Power 536871059

Default Re: MiX iT! 3d - Discuss It: General

CALVIN:
    Chorus effect is different not sure if I liked it or not. Kinda mde me feel like I was in church? Like the CRACK accent that you did with the words though. Cool tough. Like the dry feel of it and that to me kept the creepy feel to the song. Drums sound great. My ear pulled to much to the LEFT side though which bugged me. Seemed like too many instruments were focused there? Cool vocals, not too wet, not too dry. Good mix…
    IntelDoc: Wow, what an effort on the first day! I thought I was doing well with my half-dozen or so comments.

Yeah, the Rhodes effect - I don't know. I should have left it alone, 'cause it certainly sounds great as tracked. Knowing that there will be some 180 mixes, I wanted to try something a little different. I certainly didn't want to invoke a feeling of being in church, though, at least not at the top and end of the tune. I was trying to come up with something lo-fi, warped, and twisted - guess I didn't quite pull it off.

And yes, the "gunshot" snare hit is going to be overused by many of us, but I had hoped to put a different spin on it. Rather than pumping up the reverb on that one snare hit coinciding with the word "crack", I took a copy of that same snare hit and delayed it by more than almost two seconds and sneaked it back in at a very low level, eq'ed and squashed with a wash of reverb to have the gunshot heard way in the distance. It was meant to be more of a hint of a gunshot. I kinda like how it turned out.

The left-leaning you're hearing must be the result of the main guitar part, as it's the only instrument panned hard left.

Thanks for the listen - much appreciated!

"My experience has been that people who perceive a conflict between science and spirituality generally know very little about one or the other. Often they know very little about both." - Bob Ohlsson

"Real men do hard things." - Anonymous - Don't know who said it first, but I like it.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928060

Thanks for the kind words Calvin and IntelDoc!

CaptainHook's mix is quite superb! Can't wait to get some details on what was done.
    ITB HD2 accel pt 7.4

Not much to say that can't be gathered from the session file
    except it was mixed through ssl comp and eq otb.
    The first two mixit's i sent everything out to some hardware
    to somewhat 'fix' the tracking but as noted it wasn't
    necessary here. Tracking sounded really good and solid to
    me but i didn't cream myself like some here.
    I do appreciate and am grateful to mixerman and
    the band for providing this, so don't let that come across
    wrong.

Nice for a mixit event to have a really good production and
    song to work on.

I will post some comments on others mixes later on
    if i feel i have anything to add.
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee ACME recording engineer...just add water.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Surrounded by morons
    Posts 850
    Rep Power 536871069

Bass: Listening to some of the other mixes I feel we really need some info/guidance how to eq the resonance caused by notes, I'd like to be able to smooth all notes over somewhat but still obviously keep the performance and not make it dull/flat. Any ideas?
    I haven't even had a chance to upload mine yet or listen to anyone's mix, but this comment struck me.

EQ the resonance caused by the notes ?!? Your monitors are telling you lies. This may have been the easiest straight off the track bass sound I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Bar none. I did NO EQ to the bass (except to automate some low mids out on the middle bit where the guitar comes in before the bridge). And that was pretty tame. The rest was untouched.

I'll be back with more when I get a chance to post and listen. Busy busy.

dik
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Monument, Colorado
    Posts 420
    Rep Power 536871053

Tracking sounded really good and solid to
    me but i didn't cream myself like some here.
    I do appreciate and am grateful to mixerman and
    the band for providing this, so don't let that come across
    wrong.
    Ditto....
    MONUMENT SOUND

MONUMENT SOUND ON REVERBNATION

Monument Sound Fan Page

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Middletown, NY
    Posts 113
    Rep Power 131

I listened to a bunch of the mixes just now and here are some thoughts that come to mind:

First, the use of reverb is probably the most sensitive part of this mix. I mean it seems there is such a fine line between not enough reverb and too much reverb. There are some mixes that pretty much sound like the raw tracks. I like those mixes better than the washed-in-reverb mixes, but the mixes that I really like are the ones that really pull out the best qualities of the tracks at the right times. I guess that's what mixing is all about, so that may sound like a stupid observation. I'll have to listen to more before I can get more specific.
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Sketchy driving record
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Posts 580
    Rep Power 469762175

After listening to a bunch of mixes, I would agree that the reverb on the vocal between mixes is interesting. Also, the vocal level in the mixes seem to vary by a lot per mix. Some vocals feel really loud and then some feel buried. However, the ones that feel buried are most likely not...I think the bass has the same issues as well.

That being said, here is my quick and dirty on a few mixes...I wrote as I listened...no edits.

IntelDoc - drums feel too roomy to my ears...vox on the verses feel too loud (the choruses feel better). I like the backwards thing at the end.

fizbin - the pre-chorus seems to thin out on the low end (Was that by choice?) - Interesting effect going into the chorus! It feels like the chorus would "pop" more if there was more low end in it. The effect gives it a rise but then loses the excitement because it thins out...the effect works better on the chorus , but not sold on it on the bridge.

Starfucker - overall mix sounds a little muffled...sounds like you slid the guitar in from the left to the middle on the solo part (interesting idea).

CaptainHook -I like the mix but the vox has a little too much reverb for my liking (personal preference)...levels feel good overall.

Tannoy - interesting added tambourine on the verse. Not sold on the snare thing before the pre-chorus...I like how you used the tambourine through the mix.

Ashley Smith - not feeling the lack of drums and bass until 1:30...I lost interest after the first 25 seconds...sorry. Interesting idea but I think the drums should have come in earlier.

k
    Music, you see, is sort of like screwing — you don't think about the past or the future and you don't think about what makes the wheels turn. You're inside the creative space, you're in the moment, and so there are no thoughts of manipulation. - Robert Margouleff

www.okayilied.com
    A Top 10 Beaver Licker Grumpy young man
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Nouvelle Zealande
    Posts 1,944
    Rep Power 2500000000

I may have screwed up the encode to m4a, so I have reposted the file in my original post.. sorry about that...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928060

I may have screwed up the encode to m4a, so I have reposted the file in my original post.. sorry about that...
    I'm glad you don't handle anything technical around here.

"Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Oblivion
    Posts 555
    Rep Power 536871059

All I had to do to get your original file to play was change the file extension from "aac" to "m4a". Mix sounds good, of course. I guess I should add a quick review while I'm here. I particularly enjoyed the bass. Guitar could have used a bit more meat to my ears, but that's nit-picking. I thought the bridge sounded real nice. Vox get real aggressive, which I'm sure is what you wanted. Nicely done, indeed. Not surprising.

"My experience has been that people who perceive a conflict between science and spirituality generally know very little about one or the other. Often they know very little about both." - Bob Ohlsson

"Real men do hard things." - Anonymous - Don't know who said it first, but I like it.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Location Leicester, UK
    Posts 29
    Rep Power 120

Think I may have screwed up my conversion to M4a - I wondered why the file was only 1.5mb. A comment from Intel Doc about all the instruments being centred made me check and basically I think its converted it to a mono file!! ooops. I will redo and repost.

Booman
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Thinks 'Catcher in the Rye' refers to a book
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location France
    Posts 93
    Rep Power 335544495

Thanks Doc for your comments, very constructive.
    Quantum Psychic Passed out in public restroom
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location California. by the bay
    Posts 242
    Rep Power 117338

Alright, I'm going to attempt to do some mix critiquing. Not sure if I spelled that right, but there's a clue as to my credibility right there. I'm going to try to type each one in the time it takes to listen to each mix, so these will be very fast, first impression critiques. I threw all these mixes into a file and it sort of put them in alphabetical order so I'll just start at the top. Also, as I get further and further into this and start to lose my mind, the more tangential and nit picky my reviews will be. So bear that in mind. And feel free to stomp the shit out of my own mix, I love criticism (constructive, of course). OK. Deep breath...

Ashley Smith
    I kept waiting and waiting for the drums to come in. I REALLY wanted them to come in on the second verse, and when they didn't I was kind of dissapointed. I did like the intimacy that the vocal had without drums and the verb and delays sounded really huge. That said, when the drums came in I thought they were too dry and up front, almost super-imposed on top of the huge soundstage that you established in the first half of the song. Bringing them in with the tom fill was cool though.

Calvin
    Not diggin the chorus on the rhodes. Bass is big and round sounding and the drums are well balanced. The snare especially has a nice weight. Dunno about that crack thing. I like whatever you did with the tamborine, it sounds like sleigh bells. I like the flange effect on the rhodes at the end better, kinda makes it pop out in that last verse. Vocals sat pretty well through the whole thing.

Danbee
    The "crack" sounds like someone hitting a tennis ball in an underground parking lot . Is that the mono room being gated off the snare? I think it's too loud and the decay is way too quick. It's making the drums sound much smaller than they should. I like how the drums opened up on the bridge. Guitar verb sounds huge. The vocal tone has something weird going on with it. Almost like a phase cancellation sort of sound? If you did any serious eq notching in it I'd re-examine it.

Fizbin
    Whoa, that's a big reverb at the start! I like how the song kind of runs up on you and attacks...and it's LOUD. A bit too loud I think. It's also a pretty bright, maybe a little harsh. Overall it's a really aggressive feel, which is cool. These drums are really compressed. The super punchy kick is cool but the toms are compressed to the point they don't even exist anymore. Kinda compressed and bright for my tastes.

IntelDoc
    Argh your mix crashed quicktime! Second try it worked. Cool swirly backwards thing on the intro. Kind of out of tune sounding in parts but that just made it creepier. Man those are some aggressive drums and vocals. Mono room is really making an appearance on this one. It's really loud and gated which makes the drums smash like a mofo but it's almost trash can sounding. Don't know if that's good or bad. The kick drum is too metal sounding for me on this song. Toms sound great, I can here some cool saturation on them. Nice backwards cymbal slice into the last verse. Overall I would have liked it if the mix breathed a bit more. Pretty solid though all around.

Knastratt
    Nice and balanced but the vocal seems kinda low? Maybe it's the verb that making it sit that way. I see you like the tamborine. Me too . Good mix. Get that vocal popping out a bit more.

maartenl945
    This is trippy sounding. Sort of like a surf/trip-hop guitar thing going on with the verses. Hmm, I could do without the chorus on the chorus guitar though. The bass is a tad overpowering but I'm liking the distortion. Vocal could be louder.

outre-n-deep
    Smooth and balanced out of the gate. Somewhat loud. Like the drum ride on the pre-chorus fill. Kick drum sounds very nice. WHOA. That B3 sweep was...wow. Oh well, subtlety is for pussies anyway . Seriously that was the loudest organ fill ever. Pulled out all the stops (get it?). Maybe automate the lows off it a bit in that spot? It sounds like there's some 2-buss distortion going on when the low end pushes and that just makes it even louder. Really nice mix, even with "The B3 Fill That Ate Kentucky".

seawell
    Of all the "cracks" so far, yours was the crackiest. Snare drum is super, super freakin compressed but I think it's a big part of what holds this mix together. Maybe a little bright though. Nice balance with the tamborine sort of stealing the hi-hats job.
    The vocals sound a little over de-essed in parts but it sounds like if you backed off they would get way sibilant, way fast. Maybe less compression and more riding? Try to make it cut with the upper mids, not the highs.

Starfucker
    Guitar rakes very distant. For the relativley sparse arrangement I would have liked them louder. It does set up the chorus git nicely, however. The drums are very well balanced. Interesting guitar pan between chorus and bridge. I like how the rhodes is prevalent throughout the song but I might have scooped some of that lower midrange for when it got really loud. Outro pan made my brain slide out of my ear.

tannoy
    Snare seems too bright and disconnected from the rest of the kit at first, but then it comes together after a drummerboy roll (??) so it must have been on purpose. Interesting effect. Snare still a little bright. Vocals sound great and manage to never get buried even with the extra long verb. But that extra "aren't you proud" kind of comes out of nowhere timing wise and doesn't really add anything for me.

Numb Thumb
    Pretty loud to begin with. Nice bass, I'm liking the compression. Not sure how I feel about some of the vocal effects. They're scary. Like, evil robot scary. Not sure if it really fits the song. I had to listen to this mix twice because there's a LOT going on. The drums seem to be changing quite a bit from section to section. The whole thing kinda pumps too much on the bridge, which makes the vocal start to sound flat. I like the transition to the last verse -from ambient to dry, BAM. I really don't know what to make of this mix overall, it changes so much I never really settled into what its sound was supposed to be. But maybe that was the point.

Billy gimp
    Nice detune on the intro rake. I would have liked it better ONLY on the intro rake, though. I don't know what exactly is happening at the end of the verses but it's cool. Like something huge and ominous is approaching. Waay too much vocal verb on the bridge, it just gets lost. Like the effect on the Gt feedback track. Good mix.

Hamonrye
    This seems kind of dark. It gets better when the hard panned guitar comes in, but the drums are still pretty flat sounding. Yeah, those drums really need to be opened up. Vocal could also come up a bit. Overall just seems small and muffled. Nothing is jumping out.

Amater
    Whoa vibrato. Sounds like I'm shaking my head around in a pokémon induced seizure. Is that a ring modulator on the drums?! At the risk of being completely wrong, I'm going to guess that there may be something wrong with your file? It sounds all chopped up like a bad conversion.
    *EDIT* Yes, problem with file. I opened it through explorer instead of straight to quicktime and got it to play properly. Relief really, I couldn't believe anyone would mix like that . OK. This mix sounds pretty good. I feel bad for sullieing it's reputation above. I would say it's very dry, though. The snare especially needs some sense of space. Use those room mics! Vocal could use some airing out too. There's good balance overall but nothings really jumping out and happening. I'm probably misquoting Slipperman but he said something like, "Make shit happen. Kill somebody." You need to do that. (But no ring mod on drums please).

meloco_go
    Vocals are too sibilant. Some of the breaths should be lowered. I think the reverb is also a little bright. The drums and guitar are sounding dull and some of that may have to do with the vocals and verb being overly bright. I would also suggest keeping the guitar hard panned. When it's panned in it's crowding everything and making the mix small. Also I think that if the bass is going to be that loud you need to tame the low mids a bit as it's not leaving room for much else. The post track conversation is somewhat comical even if it has no place in the song .

ALRIGHT. I'm going to stop now because I'm tired and cranky. Maybe more later, this is somewhat exhausting.

P.S. Damn that was only 16? Fuck.
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Digs Ditches
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Posts 50
    Rep Power 132203453

BAELI:
    Not a fan of the keys in the intro. I really dig the original creepy sound he tracked. DOC
    Thanks for the feedback Doc. I thined the Rhodes because I lost it when crushin on the highway, I too like the original sound. I hope to get some time this weekend to give a listen to some of the mixes.
    Baeli
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location NY
    Posts 14
    Rep Power 117

Man, there are a lot of these. I just downloaded everything so far, will try to listen to a bunch tomorrow morning. I'm intrigued by the amount of spatial treatment on some of the mixes; much wetter than I expected.

An idea I had--which I didn't get around to implementing, and is more of a "concept mix" than something I'd actually like to hear on a record--was to stick the first half of the song (until the distorted guitar comes in) in an intimate room. Mostly room mics on the drums, subtle room verb on everything else. Then just blast the hell out of it when it blows up; "close mics" on everything, singer practically spitting in your face. Big arena rock mix. I think it'd be neat. Not practical, but neat.

UNCLEOZZY:
    Soft mix at first, then the vocals come in. I would like to hear the guitar up a notch. ANOTHER one with the CRACK thing. Too funny. I think that is almost half on this bunch. Cool mix.
    Yeah, all the cool kids are doing it. Seriously, though, I think I meant to pull the "crack" verb back quite a few notches before I bounced the mix. Oops! Thanks for listening, comments are very appreciated.

I made a few last-minute adjustments (brought up the Hammond, brought down the vox in a few places, muted the mono room), so the mental image I have of my mix isn't actually what I posted. Maybe I'll listen to it along with everybody else's. Heh.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,413
    Rep Power 536871254

Am I the only one havin problem accessing your contributions? It takes HOURS to get only a few songs. I've been struggling with InteDoc and MollysLips since last night. At last they stumbled in.

IntelDoc: A tad too much room mics on the drums. A little too much compression on drums. But hell - for an aggressive version that is actually fine. It's fairly glued - and that's what I look for more than separation in a mix.

Well done.

I can't decide on the eerie BW Rhodes sound.

MollysLips: Too much room mics but great balance except that the Rhodes is too quiet. I do have a problem w the "dist guitar far left - Rhodes far right" mixing. Don't be ashamed cause you share it with Mixerman's mix and many more. it's just me. After second listening I feel the bass sound is a bit narrowed. Too heavy eq or compression?

Anyway - well done.

Thanks for the review of mine. That's strange cause the vocal is really loud over here. Both in my system and in my neighbour's 1980's HiFi system-

Even after listening to Mixerman's version and a lot of yours - this is how I'd mix anyway. But I'd love to hear it mastered. I think I will send it for mastering. The essence of learning.

Cheers - Pär
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 420
    Rep Power 536871053

Molly,
    Thanks fr the comments. I think what you hear is some of the mono mic, but I do not use gates usually and definitley did not on this tune. Just not a gate fan. What I think it may be is something that I tried differently this time around. I sent the rooms and the overhead mics to the same buss that then was sent through the distressor and the Trident 80b to brighten them up some. The distressors were set to 6:1 so they probably took the sounds and brought the room out (good for that!) I do tend to mix vocals more up front for radio. Just a habit. Most people want to hear what they guy has to say ya know. The one thing that I liked is the low growl that the guy got on parts so I set the 1176 and Vintech X73i into the chain and did mild vocal rides. Layered a low level effect wash on it that was not too annoying and called it. The drums I wanted bigger than they were. I guess I did not hear the organic mix that people were talking about here? I heard a large build into mayhem drums style that reminded me of a Mr. Bungle tune gone wild. (Minus Mike Patton) but it just seemed to my mind that it needed to be aggressive to get across what I was going for, a creepy intro with growly vocals into a big huge drum driven chaotic tune, then back to mellow. (resolve) The song was like the "Hey I see you, I saw you shoot at something now I want to shoot back, I fear for my life and now I must go crazy! Then feel somewhat safe and go back to my regular life with my gun of course" sorta song. It definitely had a story.

It was not a G Love and special sauce tune that was all mellow (again to my ears)

Just felt it needed to get a edge to it.

The swiry part on the keys at the beginning was just that track dup'd and reversed on certain parts. I wanted the outta tune effect for sure. Kept it low in the right side though and agin resolved back to it at the end.

Thanks for listening,

Doc
    MONUMENT SOUND

Monument Sound Fan Page

Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 420
    Rep Power 536871053

Think I may have screwed up my conversion to M4a - I wondered why the file was only 1.5mb. A comment from Intel Doc about all the instruments being centred made me check and basically I think its converted it to a mono file!! ooops. I will redo and repost.

Booman

DOH! At least my ears were not lying. It was all hitting me dead in the forhead like a tac nail...
    MONUMENT SOUND

Monument Sound Fan Page

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 6
    Rep Power 117

Since two people already said that there is vibrato(?)
    and ring modulator(?!) on drums and rhodes I just want to say
    that I did not use any of those . And I have no idea what is wrong since I used nero for conversion at 160 as
    requested. All seemed fine.
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song Saw Yentle 46 times
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location South West, UK
    Posts 190
    Rep Power 134217869

Danbee
    ... The vocal tone has something weird going on with it. Almost like a phase cancellation sort of sound? If you did any serious eq notching in it I'd re-examine it.
    No notching on the vocal EQ, it's all very subtle. Having said that I did a couple of things that *could* potentially cause phasing problems, although I had another listen on headphones and can't hear it myself!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Los Angeles
    Posts 873
    Rep Power 536871070

...MAGICCHORD:
    Still not a fan of the key effects. I really liked the original sounds. Seems to make it more of a 70’s tune gone carnie. Like the vocals you did and the drums sound great. Interesting mix...
    Thanks for the critique, Doc. Now that I've got your mix to play, I can say it's a standout. Some cool choices you made and full of commercial sensibilities.

Yes, I took the beautiful Hammond sound and fucked it up. And put a flanger on the Rhodes. Well. I sorta tried to go in the direction of lo-fi with this one. But I'm an old fart so it's inevitable that my work will have a retro vibe.
    "One Moment, Please."