Thread: MiX iT! 3d - Discuss It: General

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,553
    Rep Power 2500000000

Default Re: MiX iT! 3d - Discuss It: General

Note: Anyone who has an SSL on their 2 buss, is at an immediate advantage, because I keep the SSL strapped across the 2 buss at all times, even when I'm tracking.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Posts 22
    Rep Power 65094560

Note: Anyone who has an SSL on their 2 buss, is at an immediate advantage, because I keep the SSL strapped across the 2 buss at all times, even when I'm tracking.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    Mixerman, are you using the X-Rack or do you have a custom box? I use the Wave's SSL G-comp which is great, but I'd love to find an outboard solution. Also, what's your "general approach" to tracking with it versus mixing into it on your two bus?
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location Omaha, Ne
    Posts 363
    Rep Power 402653347

Ok, so I just spent the entire morning checking out all the mixes that were there as of this AM.I probably risked getting fired at work as I've done nothing but this!

Also listened on headphones, but I'm pretty familiar with them. Here are my comments as I heard them. Take what you want and throw away the rest.

These are in alpha order.

Amater – something weird with the verb of the vox. Like some weird doubling? Overall, the mix was a bit to dry for me. I thought it could use a bit more depth.

Ashley Smith – Interesting beginning, thought it worked ok, but went a bit too long. Maybe bring the bass in with the organ and keep it in. Also, bring the drums in with the big washed out verb. I could use more bass too. Nice ideas.

Baeli – Like the bass sound and nice toms too. Should have brought kick out a bit to match the bass. I thought the instruments could have been a bit fuller underneath the more aggressive vocals in the section before the break.

Billy_B – not a fan of the Rhodes off to one side. Nice decay on the snare verb. Toms fit well too. I thought the gtr could have gotten a bit bigger towards the end. Nice mix.

Booman – again, not a fan of Rhodes off to one side. First Guitar rake is way too loud. Vocals a bit too out front for my taste, but they sound good, very intimate. I’d lower the bass just a touch and bring the kick up a touch. Main guitar seems a bit washed in verb. The echo in the big section is a bit too loud for me.

Calvin – Rhodes was a bit washed in verb, but I thought it was ok, could use a bit more meat. Bass and Vocals sound nice. I don’t think the vocals ever made it “there” in the big section. There is so much life in the take Ryan did, but it didn’t translate in your mix. Too flat, maybe too much comp?

Captain Hook – Vocals have a really nice ambience about them. Nice mix.

CHCKN8R – Something about the vocals I don’t like but can’t put my finger on it. Part of it is the verb, but I think the main thing is EQ? Seems like the meat has been removed from the snare, not sure if it’s a sample or what. Everything seems to be thinned out. Might re-check some EQ.

ChrisJ – Nice change of pace. You brought something out in the keys after the word “lungs” in the beginning that sounds really nice. A bit more ambience when the tune starts to build would have been nice. More organ….

Danbee – Nice light feel to the mix. I could use a bit more meat in the vocals though. Maybe a bit too much room mics on the drums? Maybe too much verb overall? Something about the vocals in the big sections that is missing, maybe the EQ.

Dikledoux – Like the vibe in the beginning. Maybe too much room mic though. Bass is a bit hot also too much high EQ. Not diggin the treatment of the vocals in the “Let it out” sections.

Eclectik- Too much verb. Seems like the mix is swimming a bit. Like what you did with the gtr in the “when I breath” section. Cool how different people latched onto different things. The snare has a bit too much snap for me. Also a bit too hot. Thought the break section where you really washed the gtr and placed it in the back was too drastic as compared to the section right after it where the gtr jumps forward all of a sudden. Like the organ use in the big section.

Fizbin – The kick is a bit too wet for my taste on this tune. The little vocal echo thing would be cooler if it were a bit less present, push it back a bit more. I think you cut some fo the good meat on the organ. Cool little reverse thing into the “Let it out”, maybe pull those back just a touch. I don’t think the vocals quite got “there” in this mix for me.

FredSanford – Nice meat on the bass. A bit too much decay on the snare. Seems like the mix is missing some “highs” overall and makes it seem a bit dull. Gets better in the bigger section, so maybe you did that on purpose. Like what you did with the gtr in the break. The snare gets boxy in the big sections, maybe change the EQ there and make it a bit brighter. I’d bring the echo’d “let it outs” back a bit. You did some nice creative things, thanks. Nice toms sound at the end.

Glitchfactor – bit too much verb for me on the vox. Nice sounding snare. I could also use a bit more vocals throughout this one. They really get lost in the bigger sections. Otherwise it sound good.

HamonRye – Like the beginning. The vocals seem a bit too far away and the line he is singing is much more intimate and personal. Guitar sounds good. Vocals get lost in the big sections. The guitar is louder than the vocals at times.

IntelDocSmithJonesAnderson – I dig the Rhodes stuff you did in the beginning. So far you win the loudness war , I actually had to turn your down. The snare seems better from the first time I heard it. I could use a bit more bass and less vocals. The snare gets different in the bigger section, too much comp I think. I like the aggressiveness in the big section. The tambo is still a bit too loud for me in that break. Also the drums are too big in that last fill.

JariNi – nice Rhodes sound! Vocals sound good also. Maybe a bit too much Room mic for me. Nice harmony on the “daydream”. This is mix is really convincing to me. I believed it, if you know what I mean. Best mix so far. Great job.

Jaygro – Way too much room mic. Not digging the trashy sound of the beginning mix. It’s like the drums are in the next room. Gets better when the tune builds.

Kenny – Not diggin the snare man, way to “Rock” oriented for this tune IMO. Like what you did with the bells. Very nice kick sound…..send me that sample!

Kgderrick – Overall pretty good. No one thing jumped out at me. I think the toms were a too out front at times. Guitar sounds good. I didn’t think the mix really built to anywhere, seemed kinda flat all the way through. Did you buss comp? If so, maybe too much of that. Mix sounds good, just didn’t take me anywhere.

Knastratt – too much roomy sound on the vocals for me. Toms are to out front. I think the gtr should have been louder than the Rhodes in the break section. The vocals start to get lost in the bigger sections. Follow the emotion of Ryan’s lines. The way you mixed it seemed to contradict his emotion.

KPHayes – Like what you did with the Rhodes. Too much REEEEVERB. The reverb on the vocals in particular make him sound less genuine. Like the kick sound, but the snare has too much shell ring. Nice build into the bigger sections, very nice.

Maarten – I like the feel of the vocals in the beginning, but they get lost sometimes as they get covered by the guitars. The drums could be punchier. Bass is also a bit too hot. Toms have a nice feel to them. I’d cut some low mids on the vocals in the big section, gets a bit muddy.

Magicchord – not a fan of the Rhodes treatment. Just doesn’t seem to fit your mix. Maybe a touch too much of the Overheads. The vocals get a little lost in the bigger sections. Sorry, just not digging the Rhodes throughout.

Meloco – Me loco too after listening to 20 + of these! Too much Room sound on the vocals for me. The drums could be punchier on this one too. Also, the vocals are really flat, they don’t get “there” . The emotion of the vocal performance just isn’t coming across to me.

Molly – The snare might have a bit too much snap at times. The vocals feel pretty good even though I’m not “loving” the verb treatment. Might try losing that verb/delay on the bigger section and bringing the volume of the vox up a touch. The kick sounds boxy, especially when it gets aggressive. Vocals get a bit loud on the “Over and over….”

MortenDK – Snare has bit a too much decay. I could use some more low mid in the mix overall. I think there’s too much room mic, but not sure. The vocals get swallowed by the guitar in the bigger sections. Kick has nice attack, but seems to lack boom. Snare is a bit thin.

Norman_Damon – Like the closeness of the vocals in the beginning. Like the idea of the “over-verb” on the “when I breaths”, just push it back some and it would come across better IMO. I think the song get’s to the apex too soon. Almost like you blew your wad on the first “let it out” section and it didn’t leave you much room to build so then it gets to be too much in the next vocal section. A bit too dramatic. Gets a bit hard to listen to towards the end.

Outre_n_deep- just a slight touch too much verb in the beginning. Too much room mic and overheads. The Guitar rakes get too loud. I think the mix builds pretty well.

Pimp-X – Vocals are nice in the beginning. Snare might be too thin for this tune, needs more body to go with the smack. I think the guitar is a bit too hot when it comes in. I could use more definition on the bass track. Seems synthy, wonder if that’s what you were going for. Like the organ treatment/placement. The vocals get a bit back in the mix in the bigger sections, but I think it still works.

Princeton – a lot of noise in the beginning, the first track that bothered me. I’m missing the kick. Vocals sit well in the beginning. Not diggin the vocals treatment on the “let it out’s” . I could use more snap on the snare in the bigger sections, it got lost. In fact all I can hear really is over heads or room mics.

14 more to go……

Prunelle – I kinda like the Rhodes treatment on this one, but maybe mix in some of the original. Missing some low end on the mix and maybe a bit too much high end. Too much high end on the Rhodes towards the end. I don’t want to be rude, but you might check your room out, seems like you might be getting too much low end in there and are over compensating for it. I know all to well about that from my last setup.

Revman – Have I said how much I don’t like Rhodes panned hard on the beginning? Ok, I thought I did (not taking it out on you Rev, just getting ear-fatigued). This mix also sounds really “treble-y”. I seem to missing the low end. It’s a bit hard to listen to and seems a bit harsh in the highs. The guitar is too hot and harsh in the big section at times.

Seawell – definitely quieter than most. I think there is too much snap/attack on the snare. I could use a touch more vocals and maybe a bit more body/meat to them. The echo gets a bit distracting at times. I could also use more bass, especially low. I think is the overall bottom end that is missing. The vocals got buried in the big section and seemed over compressed as they didn’t go anywhere emotionally.

Skwaidu – if you can beat them, join them? Way to play up the noise. I think it worked. Wow, nice “crack” maybe bring it down some. Too much hi-hat. I think maybe a bit too much room mic as well. Toms have a nice round sound to them. The main guitar sounds good, good EQ there. The mix seemed a bit flat, maybe squeezed too much on the mix buss.

Starfucker – I like the natural-ness of the beginning. Could use some more volume on the vocals. Vocals start to get lost as the tunes grows. Drums have a nice ambience about them. I like how you did not squash the life out of them. The mix could build a bit more, didn’t feel like it went anywhere.

Takk – the vocals seem really raw in the beginning and I think it works well. Too much room mic. The vocals seem to separate from the mix at times. Not sure if it’s a volume, EQ or Verb thing. They get swallowed in the big section.

Teetolivio – Might bring the Rhodes down a touch when the vocals come in. Other than that, great start. Snare seems to be all attack and no body. The Gtr rakes get a bit loud for me. I could use more B3.

Uncleozzy – Nice crack! Mix gets off to a good start. I think there might be too much room mic. Could use more bottom from the bass. I like the treatment of the gtr in that break, but would lessen it up when the drums come back in. The mix doesn’t seem to quite turn the corner in the bigger section. Its on the verge of cutting through but doesn’t quite make it.

VonRaddatz – Nice vocals up front. I could use less rooms in the bigger section. Nice vocal treatment in the “goodbye daydream” it gets a little muddy lost though. Maybe just less on the treatment?

4 more……

Numb Thumb – maybe too much verb upfront. Bass sounds good. A touch too much highs on the vocals. The vocals get all room sounding in the first “ let it out” section. The big section builds really nice. Nice gtr delay thing. Less of the snare echo/delay thing at the end.

Billy_Gimp – Gtr rake delays are nice, but maybe less. Snare seems drenched in verb. Maybe too much verb overall in the mix. Way too much verb once the tune starts building. You could get the same effect by losing all that verb and just leaving it on the snare (in stereo). Maybe a touch of delay and you’d have the depth I think you want there. Just gets really washy.

Tamasdragon – ok Seawell, you just lost the quiet award! Maybe the best crack execution. Nice mix. I need to hear it a bit louder, so I’ll check it out again at home in the studio.

MKZ – Nice beginning. Everything sits really well. Could use more oomph on the kick. The vocals seem to be a tad bit distant in the first “let it outs”. Like the delay thing there. Too much snare in the following big section. Vocals seem to get buried a bit too. Snare is really distracting here. I think the vocal affect would have been better served on the very last line instead of the whole section. Nice idea. Like the fade too.
    Doyle Tipler
    http://www.myspace.com/doylemusicrecordingstudio

"Lots of folks mix with their mind and their eyes rather than their ears and their gut..."
    Bob O.
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location Omaha, Ne
    Posts 363
    Rep Power 402653347

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    I got one thing right at least!
    Doyle Tipler

"Lots of folks mix with their mind and their eyes rather than their ears and their gut..."
    Bob O.
    Joan River's boytoy FBI Agent searching hard-drives
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871089

Clown Re: MiX iT! 3d - Discuss It: General

nah...

Or maybe if I was trying to CLONE YOUR MIX and if I was supposed to, I got it wrong and apologize, but I didn't even use a buss comp much less my SSL-esque comp Logical...

I did it how I wanted, probably real different, and it doesn't sound like I processed much but there's a lot going on anyway, all to sort of cut away anything that wasn't the emotion I felt in the SONG. Which is not unlike what you do, so I can't have misunderstood TOO much

I expect countless complaints about the sound of this element or that, but I also expect some of the big-picture guys would dig what I was up to in my fumbling dumbass way

Pretend you don't know what a knob even is, listen to the song and see if you can get the emotional range of the singer. For me it was all, all about the lead vocalist this time.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Posts 22
    Rep Power 65094560

Eclectik- Too much verb. Seems like the mix is swimming a bit. Like what you did with the gtr in the “when I breath” section. Cool how different people latched onto different things. The snare has a bit too much snap for me. Also a bit too hot. Thought the break section where you really washed the gtr and placed it in the back was too drastic as compared to the section right after it where the gtr jumps forward all of a sudden. Like the organ use in the big section.
    Fair enough. Probably a bit too much verb but I thought it gave it more emotion and final polish. I feel like a lot of the mixes I've heard so far are too dry and don't sound commercial. I'm not saying I hit the nail on the head but I'm finding a couple mixes that definitely have a more commercial sound and they usually use a little more FX, subtle, but evident.

The break was intentional, wanting to the bridge to kind of sweep in and carry you away. The snare, well, I like a snappy snare so that's just my preference.

Thanks for the comments. I will comment on yours and other mixes when I have time. Currently balancing two other projects.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Monument, Colorado
    Posts 420
    Rep Power 536871052

Thanks for the critique, Doc. Now that I've got your mix to play, I can say it's a standout. Some cool choices you made and full of commercial sensibilities.
    Thanks for the comments man. I had fun with this tune. Some minor tweeks here and there if I really wanted to, but overall I like it and it sounds good in the car. Nice balance.

Thanks again.

My Review PART 2 is soon to come.
    MONUMENT SOUND

MONUMENT SOUND ON REVERBNATION

Monument Sound Fan Page

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location NY
    Posts 14
    Rep Power 116

Uncleozzy– Nice crack! Mix gets off to a good start. I think there might be too much room mic. Could use more bottom from the bass. I like the treatment of the gtr in that break, but would lessen it up when the drums come back in. The mix doesn’t seem to quite turn the corner in the bigger section. Its on the verge of cutting through but doesn’t quite make it.
    That's exactly the thought I had when I started listening to some of the other mixes: that I completely missed the boat on the shape of the song. Mixit is really a great learning experience. (Also, bottom on bass is something I'm going to have to work on; my monitors and room are pretty lousy, and I try to err on the side of too little bottom.)

Thanks for listening... I'm going to try to plow few these, a bunch at a time, over the next couple mornings, although I don't know if my comments will actually be "helpful" to anyone.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 15
    Rep Power 121

seawell: Well balanced. Snare sample doesn’t feel right to me – sticks out like a sore thumb. However, this is a very good mix.
    Quality mix
    Thanks Calvin. I definitely wanted the snare to have more pop to it so it was intentional. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and give input

S
    SEAWELL:
    Like the theatrical CRACK on the phrase. A few have done that and it was kinda cool.
    Nice mix and like the automation on the keys….. Nice snare, very poppy. Maybe a bit more verb than I would have used on the vocals. Ear pulls more to the left around 1:30. Maybe a delay to the right? Cool mix.
    I totally ripped off Mixerman on that snare crack but thought it was cool. I did consider trying to do a few things to get the guitar to not pull so hard to the left but I didn't. A delay to the right would have definitely have solved the problem, thank you for your input!

seawell
    Of all the "cracks" so far, yours was the crackiest. Snare drum is super, super freakin compressed but I think it's a big part of what holds this mix together. Maybe a little bright though. Nice balance with the tamborine sort of stealing the hi-hats job.
    The vocals sound a little over de-essed in parts but it sounds like if you backed off they would get way sibilant, way fast. Maybe less compression and more riding? Try to make it cut with the upper mids, not the highs.
    Yeah I win the crackiest award! I did compress the snare quite a bit, I just wanted it to really pop, some seem to like it and some don't, that's what makes these events so great. I definitely should have rode the volume on the Vocals more and relied less on the compressor and de-esser, thanks!

Seawell – definitely quieter than most. I think there is too much snap/attack on the snare. I could use a touch more vocals and maybe a bit more body/meat to them. The echo gets a bit distracting at times. I could also use more bass, especially low. I think is the overall bottom end that is missing. The vocals got buried in the big section and seemed over compressed as they didn’t go anywhere emotionally.
    I didn't use anything on the 2 buss at all so it definitely is quieter than most mixes. Hopefully when you guys listen you will turn it up to compensate for that to do it justice. Thanks for the input about vocals. As far as bass goes I think some other mixes have too much bass, different strokes for different folks I guess. Thanks for listening and for your input, I appreciate it.
    Join Date Jul 2007
    Posts 1,520
    Rep Power 536871081

wow there's just so much shit to listen to ...

in the state i'm right now i'm feeling Daunt's and DanB's mixes... although Dan B's got a little too much verb on the drums for my liking and Daunt's one is a bit harsh but there's something in both of them that caught my attention

i've still got tons to listen to...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871118

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    Does your ruff mix have the buss compressor?

BTW... did you do anything else to make the ruff mix louder? Like limiting?
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Eindhoven (NL)
    Posts 33
    Rep Power 128

MAARTEN:
    Same thing as Chicken… The keys are a bit loud in the intro? Still not a fan of the guitar delay in the intro. To me a vibrato effect on the guitar is enough and anything else distracts. His effect with that while tracking was pretty damn cool too. Electrics sound good. I feel that the vocals could bump down a notch though and let the other stuff come through just a tad. Maybe a db or two? Cool mix. Not a lot of verb too. Kinda bright? Just slightly.
    DOC

Thanks for listening IntelDoc !! Yeah, the keys are loud enough to hear some noise. Not sure whether it was distracting, but obviously it was to you. Took a bit of a chance with the guitar delay. To me it added to the quiet, mysterious feeling of walking in the woods early in the morning, but it's probably not as our producer intended ;-) In hindsight I myself find the vocals too loud in some sections and too quiet in others.
    As for the brightness, towards the end I added a bit of high end (on the 2-bus) to get it up to the same level as some reference tracks. May have overdone it though.

Thanks again,
    Maarten
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Eindhoven (NL)
    Posts 33
    Rep Power 128

I haven't even had a chance to upload mine yet or listen to anyone's mix, but this comment struck me.

EQ the resonance caused by the notes ?!? Your monitors are telling you lies. This may have been the easiest straight off the track bass sound I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Bar none. I did NO EQ to the bass (except to automate some low mids out on the middle bit where the guitar comes in before the bridge). And that was pretty tame. The rest was untouched.

I'll be back with more when I get a chance to post and listen. Busy busy.

dik
    I also had trouble with the low end (but I usually do :-))
    To me it also seemed there were some resonances happening, but yes, it might be the room over here as well.

Maarten
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Los Angeles
    Posts 873
    Rep Power 536871069

...Magicchord – not a fan of the Rhodes treatment. Just doesn’t seem to fit your mix. Maybe a touch too much of the Overheads. The vocals get a little lost in the bigger sections. Sorry, just not digging the Rhodes throughout...
    Thanks for the critique. The Rhodes sound is that "one thing" that grates on your nerves, eh? Oh, well...
    "One Moment, Please."
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Eindhoven (NL)
    Posts 33
    Rep Power 128

maartenl945
    This is trippy sounding. Sort of like a surf/trip-hop guitar thing going on with the verses. Hmm, I could do without the chorus on the chorus guitar though. The bass is a tad overpowering but I'm liking the distortion. Vocal could be louder.
    Thanks a bunch for listening. Trippy ? I wasn't on anything ... honest ;-) It's probably the delay that left that impression.

The chorus on the chorus guitar, I tried to give it a bit of wideness with that. Because it is such a powerful part, I didn't want to pan it to one side. But at the same time wanted to keep it out of the way of the vocals in the middle. So it has some left/right delays, some UAD Dimension D chrous, and even some Waves Doubler, to make it more wide. It does take away some of the direct in your face power of it though.

Too much Bass, damn. I usually have too little, so I tried to compensate this time.

As for the Vocal needing to come up, IntelDoc just commented that it was too loud :-) I myself feel some parts are too loud now, and others are too soft.

Thanks,
    Maarten
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Eindhoven (NL)
    Posts 33
    Rep Power 128

Maarten – I like the feel of the vocals in the beginning, but they get lost sometimes as they get covered by the guitars. The drums could be punchier. Bass is also a bit too hot. Toms have a nice feel to them. I’d cut some low mids on the vocals in the big section, gets a bit muddy.
    Thanks for listening. Hope you still have a job
    Gotten some more comments on the vocal level. They are also treated a bit differently in the heavier parts. Some more reverb to get them more blended in as in the verses where I intended the vocal to be more on top. But perhaps too blended in in the big sections.

Low mids are kind of vocal territory for me, but I'll give it a go to see how it sounds.

And yeah, the bass level keeps being a challenge for me. Must treat my room some day ....

Thanks,
    Maarten
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location Omaha, Ne
    Posts 363
    Rep Power 402653347

Thanks for the critique. The Rhodes sound is that "one thing" that grates on your nerves, eh? Oh, well...

unfortunately.....sorry

I'm going to listen to it again when I get home.

Flash Forward - OK, I listened to it again on my monitors at home. It was better for me, really. Not 100% lovin it, but better.
    Last edited by Doylemusic; May 2nd, 2008 at 11:04 PM.
    Doyle Tipler

Bob O.
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location Omaha, Ne
    Posts 363
    Rep Power 402653347

Hope you still have a job
    I think so. The boss just came over to talk to me about bowling.

P.S. Hey Charles, i think you should do a mix.
    Doyle Tipler

Bob O.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Monument, Colorado
    Posts 420
    Rep Power 536871052

IntelDocSmithJonesAnderson
    JACKASS!!!!
    MONUMENT SOUND

MONUMENT SOUND ON REVERBNATION

Monument Sound Fan Page

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928059

Mixerman, are you using the X-Rack or do you have a custom box?
    Pretty sure he uses one of the older ssl fx g384 comps.
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<