Thread: MiX iT! 3d - Discuss It: Kenny Gioia

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 15
    Rep Power 121

Default Re: MiX iT! 3d - Discuss It: Kenny Gioia

I really like this mix Kenny. You took a different approach than most of us but I really like the decisions you made. Great job
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Went to eleven and came back to ten
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location Houston, TX
    Posts 391
    Rep Power 536871037

Kenny,
    Enjoyed your version of things.

Comments In no particular order -
    I think the drum samples that you choose, worked well with things.
    I liked the treatment of the Rhodes at the top of the song
    Some of the delay on the vocal was very distracting, as was the tremelo/autopan/whatever on the gtr rakes

The backwards cymbals thing was OK but a bit too exaggerated.

With the bells on the gtr, a little too much up front, bring them back in. I actually wished I could hear these more throughout the song (tucked in of course).

To be honest, I was expecting quite a bit more. I was hearing some harmony vocals in many parts of the song, maybe a drum loop supporting the live drums, etc...

I would love to hear the "Kenny's Unlimited Artistic License" version of the track
    "On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord." - President Barack Obama

Facebook
    Hates these rank titles! Wife left with tractor salesman...got John Deere letter
    Join Date Aug 2007
    Location Australia
    Posts 202
    Rep Power 322830836

First time I heard this mix I laughed and though it was funny with all the replaced drums, telephone like delays, reversed cymbals and glockenspiel added in there (almost MixIt insubordination)... I suppose I laughed at this mix partly due to having heard nothing much but mostly 'organic' mixes and the 622 rough over and over and over.

Come to think of it I'm glad there's a mix like this.... imagine, 180+ mixes that all sound like photo copies of one another.

Some of the production choices are cool, but I suppose overall those choices didn't quite fit the style of the song ultimately (the snare replacement at times takes away from some subtle things the player does blah blah blah) so I'm not to sure how to take it (Im sounding like broken record repeating what has been said before).

Coming from me though I don't want to be too hypocritical as I had used all sorts of panning, delays and automated groove functions for the rakes not to mention a ring modulator in the Gtr feedback part and then doubling that fat riff which the F/B leads into etc, etc........... hell I was tempted to do drum replacement of sorts, but in a different vain and attempt to use samples of drum ambience rather than hits to try and really isolate individual sounds and aspects of the kit, especially that kick (blame dudes like Andy Wallace and Slipperman for these thoughts if you disagree hahaha)...

anyhow. 2cents and a pinch of salt.
    Last edited by billy_gimp; May 4th, 2008 at 11:31 AM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 135
    Rep Power 90804632

i laughed out loud at the big snare reverb around 0:23
    good shot!

really good ideas on the vocals delay and the glockenspiel.
    liked less the reversed cymbals.
    listening to your mix, i realized.. i left the tom tracks mute in my mix!
    'oh god i am the american dream! But now i smell like vasoline! And i'm a miserable son of a bitch! Am i a boy or a lady? I don't know which!'
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,503
    Rep Power 0

The backwards cymbals thing was OK but a bit too exaggerated.
    I agree. Because it was "added" I emphasized it too much.

With the bells on the gtr, a little too much up front, bring them back in. I actually wished I could hear these more throughout the song (tucked in of course).
    Wow. My thoughts exactly. I turned them down but changed my mind thinking that I didn't want people to miss it. They should be lower and I planned on doing it more but didn't have the time.

To be honest, I was expecting quite a bit more. I was hearing some harmony vocals in many parts of the song, maybe a drum loop supporting the live drums, etc...
    I was going to cut bk vox. I had that planned out but I feared that adding too much production might be a bit too obnoxious. I was already breaking the rules. I didn't hear a loop though.

I would love to hear the "Kenny's Unlimited Artistic License" version of the track
    That would be an abomination. The song would have had one repeating chorus and a typical pop arrangement. I like the original arrangement because this song is not your typical "Hit" song. It's just a really good song. Had I been hired to work on it, it would have been for the purpose of making it a "radio" song.

Thanks
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Europe
    Posts 22
    Rep Power 113

hello kenny
    i loved the backing track
    but i felt the vocal was lame ..it left me cold .too flat sorry just my opinion
    didnt raise any goosebumps
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Went to eleven and came back to ten
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location Houston, TX
    Posts 391
    Rep Power 536871037

I was going to cut bk vox. I had that planned out but I feared that adding too much production might be a bit too obnoxious. I was already breaking the rules. I didn't hear a loop though.
    Fair enough. As far as rule breaking goes, (I don't know this from experience) I would assume that the criminal penalty would be about the same if you had 1lb of marijuana or 10lbs of marijuana.

You already broke the rules. you said that you were going to to. Might as well have a boatload of fun with it.

BTW - Overall

please add to my rep points that Aardy took away from me
    "On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord." - President Barack Obama

Facebook
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,503
    Rep Power 0

Done. Are we still playing with those?
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Yellow Submarine
    Posts 584
    Rep Power 536871056

Hey Kenny,
    I unintentionally posted most of my comments about your mix (the #6 version) on the general comments sub-forum so I figured I'd cut and paste them here:

Kenny's mix - There's elements I didn't care for, but there's also a daring and creativity I like in it too. On the not liking end, it seems like fairly obvious use of samples, which didn't seem like it needed to be done at all (I could be wrong on that assumption). The samples themselves seem well chosen, but they're emphasized too much for my taste. Also, he seems to downplay the room mics a bit, which seems counterintuitive to me. On the other hand, while the bells may not fit the subject of the song when it comes to prosity or whatever, I did like the effect - really creative and I started to look forward to hearing them. Some of the delays worked, some didn't, but I like that he wasn't afraid to to throw them here and there and I really like the whisper delay effect a lot on the pre-chorus - creative and solves the problem of the delay conflicting with the pitch of the lead it overlaps with. The backwards cymbal thing didn't work for me on the first try, but the second time before the breakdown totally worked for me and added something. I don't know if I like the sort of tubby approach to the bass or not. It seems similar to Mixerman's approach and both mixes sound great in there own way, and it could be that my approach to bass sounds anemic to most, but it gives me the sense of pressure that I don't really dig (although it does seem to translate well on small speakers aside from a couple spots on certain pitches where the tone of the bass disappears a bit).

Anyhow, that's what I had to say so far, but I was kind of going off memory and I was (am) insanely tired. If you have a chance to check out my mix I'd appreciate any feedback at all - thanks!
    You can hear some of my work at http://www.thedubnicks.com - feedback appreciated!

"Think of a creative way around your problem and keep your money in your pocket." - Robert Rodriguez from his "10 Minute Film School" mini-doc on the making of his first, $7000 budget movie, El Mariachi.

"Life is work, and the reward for doing that work is more work. More difficult and beautiful work." - Andrew Wagner, director of "Starting Out In The Evening" from the film's commentary track.
    Hates these rank titles! Ends jokes with… That's what she said
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 207
    Rep Power 536871046

Kenny let me say this first: I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE TREND OF USING SAMPLES ALL OVER THE PLACE!

But really man I admire you guys - I could never pull that off. All that patience for editing - CONGRATUATIONS

for the mix: I think the air is a bit lacking - perhaps that's the way it is with samples (something that occured to me right now ) - the panning guitar thing: brilliant - love it as I do the whisper vocals that'll be something I have to use myself one day. As you know: not all delays are needed. BTW what's wrong with a nice bell line???

Man I really want to hate this mix but you did a great job - not something I want to come up with but really inspiring. We should do this more.

Jo
    A mother-in-law's nightmare Bug Tussle Town Dogcatcher
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,528
    Rep Power 536871109

Hi Kenny,

been listening to your mix. Totally different approach, but I like it somehow. Sample replacement wasn't implicitly necessary imho since the tracks were pretty fine but the samples treat the song. Anyway...listened to it on a hifi-system connected to a satellite/subwoofer speaker combination. Translates over here as follows: The kick (especially the low-end) and the snare seem to be a bit too upfront, guitars get a bit lost. Ahem...you might think :"...what the heck is that kind of comment worth ?" I decided to comment only about the translation of the mixes and not about the creative approaches since I thought it maybe useful to hear, how a mix works on a different system.

Best wishes,

Marco.
    Last edited by tannoy; May 8th, 2008 at 10:49 PM.
    "Here ain't there..." - Unfcknblvbl, June 17th, 2010
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Posts 16
    Rep Power 36252022

wheres the mix info? attica! attica!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,503
    Rep Power 0

wheres the mix info? attica! attica!
    Added.

I'll post the Pro Tools file later.

Thx.
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song Utterly Superior Cocksmanship
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Ireland
    Posts 195
    Rep Power 316459151

The 2 Buss

It just gives me glue without collapsing. The Waves SSL is next. This guy does collapse but it has that “SSL sound.” It pushes everything to the sides in a very “radio” way. To avoid the collapse I use it in Auto mode and just a bit of compression.

Heh Kenny, Can u elaborate a bit on this comment... What you think of the Waves SSL? What is that u are liking/not liking about it, the 'collapsing' etc ?

Thanks.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,503
    Rep Power 0

Heh Kenny, Can u elaborate a bit on this comment... What you think of the Waves SSL? What is that u are liking/not liking about it, the 'collapsing' etc ?

Thanks.
    The SSL Plugin (just like the real thing) has a very small sweet spot IMHO.

If you hit it too little it doesn't glue everything together.

If you hit it too much you'll hear the pumping in a really bad way. Kick and Snare hits will suck down un-naturally.

You can find that spot by either using a separate drum buss compressor to contain them or by compressing each drum and instrument individually. Or you could prefer less glue.

I get what I need by chaining the Channelstrip and SSL.

I never like drum buss compression.
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song Utterly Superior Cocksmanship
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Ireland
    Posts 195
    Rep Power 316459151

thanks for your insight there Kenny.

I agree with the "sweet spot" thing... I've wrestled with it too to get it right, i guess its a matter of getting used to mixing in to it...but for now I have opted to just omit it for when i mix and compress a little on individual tracks - there's an openness there, dont always need glue

Cheers
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,528
    Rep Power 536871109

Hi Kenny,

I looked over Tannoy's notes and decided that was not the best idea. Read above. Lazy.
    Me too - laziest man in the village, I suppose. But I actually found it interesting to do it that way for reflecting what I did. And I think you nailed your thoughts about your mixing process the way you did it, thanks for doing so and for offering them here.

Best,

Marco.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Yknee cnut
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Location NYC
    Posts 491
    Rep Power 469762172

are you sir arthur conan mixalot?
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,528
    Rep Power 536871109

are you sir arthur conan mixalot?
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 27
    Rep Power 131

I know this is super old..

but was playing with this mix a few weeks ago just to test a few things at my place.. I didn't want to use my clients stuff I'm working as to not get tired of it..So I opened this up..

and here is mine..for fun.
    http://soundcloud.com/faderjockey/strange-faces-mix