Thread: Proposal for comments for MiXiT 4

SoundBlaster™ Expert Jewish Rapper... Busta Hymen
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871177

Enjoy Proposal for comments for MiXiT 4

G'day,

- having nearly 100 mixes for MiXiT 3 it's nearly impossible to comment on every mix

- usually the first submissions get a lot of comments, that last ones less

My proposal:

- everyone who submits a mix must comment on the following 10 (or whatever number seems approriate) following submission.

- if your mix is one of the last submission (so maybe only 3 mixes are submitted after yours) you'll start over at the beginning

Examples: lest assume we have 81 mixes available

- mixerdude 1 comments on the mixes 2-11
    - mixerdude 2 comments on the mixes 3-12
    - mixerdude 3 comments on the mixes 4-13
    - mixerdude 71 comments on the mixes 72-81
    - mixerdude 72 comments on the mixes 73-81 and mix 1
    - mixerdude 73 comments on the mixes 74-81 and 1-2
    - mixerdude 74 comments on the mixes 75-81 and 1-3
    - mixerdude 80 comments on mix 81 and mixes 1-9
    - mixerdude 81 comment on the mixes 1-10

This way everyone has only a limited number of mixes to comment, and everyone gets the same number of comments.

The only downside I see is that it makes most sense to wait until the submission deadline before commenting starts, if not dude no. 1 waits a long time for the first comment about his mix.

Maybe (but that'll be a discussion on its own) everyone can name his favorite/most interesting/whatnot of the mixes he commented on, and those favorites are discussed be the whole gang.

Whaddaya think?

Mac
    Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

A mother-in-law's nightmare Bug Tussle Town Dogcatcher
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,528
    Rep Power 536871109

Default Re: Proposal for comments for MiXiT 4

Hi Mac,

cool idea! We were discussing on that (and still do) at this thread:

http://thewombforums.com/showthread.php?t=7464

Take a look!

Best,

Marco.
    "Here ain't there..." - Unfcknblvbl, June 17th, 2010
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928059

The only problems i see are that there are some who i believe
    are better at critiquing. Better than me at least. I also see
    that there are some who are in a better position to make
    more meaningful comments. (Their monitoring may be much
    better, more experience, whatever) Again, better than me.

Imagine you, ChrisJ, etc all happen to post in a row. Lucky
    for the guys in your 'line' but what about the guys who
    all happen to be possibly mixing for the first time all posting
    together then critiquing JUST themselves.

Obviously extreme, but you know what i mean..?

I hate to say some peoples comments/critiques aren't worth
    as much as others, but the reality is, it's true.

Good idea though, i understand where you're coming from.
    This aint easy, and i have no better solution.
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 32
    Rep Power 134217855

Great idea,
    kinda like garageband.com,
    If you don't know, you have
    to 'review' like 20 songs, then
    your song gets reviewed.

It's a cool idea.

Astrological sign is "Feces"! Went to eleven and came back to ten
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Las Vegas
    Posts 378
    Rep Power 536871048

I think this is a great idea.

You've got my vote here.

..if music has the ability to effect the masses, then it is far too serious of a tool to be left in the hands of musicians.

gitarted

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=29851784
    President of local Trekkie club. Reprobate
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location the yoo kay
    Posts 915
    Rep Power 536871069

Sorry to piss on the parade, but all with love, I think this is a poor idea, I'm gonna' echo what hooky said.

"Mixit Event 3 - what if Mixerman asked you to mix it for him?"

I did mix it for mixerman, as I would if I was hired by him.

Because of this, I paid attention to what was written by MM and Ryan in the band about the general direction and feel of the song to get an idea of what their expectations were for the finished product, same as I would if I were given any mix to do.

I'm aware that MM said pretty much "you make your choices" he also said things like (sorry MM but I'm paraphrasing here) "the vocal is everything", "the 'forgive me' section should be bringing you to tears" etc.

As such MM's comments about my mix will be the most meaningful to me, not somebody who feels the track should sound like Pantera. So I think this idea is flawed, sorry.

I would be more inclined to mix for a selected panel of judges because then it becomes more like real life and less like an ego-fest. After all in the real world the producer, the act and the record company all form a panel of their own that, like it or not, you have to please or you don't eat.

For me personally, I would like those judges to be experienced and excelling in their field.

I'm not saying that I won't listen to anyone else's comments or that nobody else should be allowed to comment - that's stupid. But for a bunch of people all coming up to be reviewing another bunch of people all coming up is like the blind leading the blind.

Apologies again for being so negative, but I always prefer to notice the elephant in the room.

Maybe there should be a "MixIt locker room" where you post the mix you would have liked to have made beat-detectived, sped up to 127bpm and turned into a banging French house tune.

All the best.

Paulie.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 32
    Rep Power 134217855

As such MM's comments about my mix will be the most meaningful to me, not somebody who feels the track should sound like Pantera. So I think this idea is flawed, sorry.
    Surely you cant expect mixerman to sit through and critique
    90+ Mixes?
    I would be more inclined to mix for a selected panel of judges because then it becomes more like real life and less like an ego-fest. After all in the real world the producer, the act and the record company all form a panel of their own that, like it or not, you have to please or you don't eat.
    I agree, maybe there could be 10 'chosen ones' and they can
    each listen to and critique ten mixes?

I do totally hear ya tho man, the original idea is slightly flawed if people like me are going around critiquing other peoples mixes
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871177

Think a bit further, and you'll notice that your idea of my idea being flawed is flawed

Mixerman won't listen to your mix!
    Period.
    Why should he? Your one of a zillion (tendency increasing) who has submitted a mix. No one special.

Even before he explicitly stated this fact it was very clear to me that he wouldn't have the time/energy/braindeadness to listen to more than 100 mixes.

But he will surely listen to a couple of them, but which ones?

See, and here you'll notice why my proposal suddenly makes a tiny little bit of sense.
    WE, the mixers and mixtresses, will pre-filter the entries. Of course this filtering has it flaws and is highly subjective, but it's much better than waiting for the once in a lifetime chance to get your mix critiqued by Mixie or Charles or whoever.

If your mix IS somehow good and/or interesting, it will show up when 10 (or 20 or whatever number we'll decide) people have listened to it and named a favorite, no matter if this people are professional mixerdoods of bloody beginners.

And after that, only about 10 or so mixes are left, and everyone (including Mixerman and Charles) actually have a chance to do a in deep review.

Mac
    Last edited by MacGregor; May 6th, 2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Shbelling
    Mac

Join Date Dec 2006
    Location the yoo kay
    Posts 915
    Rep Power 536871069

Mixerman won't listen to your mix!
    Period.
    Why should he? Your one of a zillion (tendency increasing) who has submitted a mix. No one special.
    Well thanks buddy for that glowing review.

I'm sure even your close ones think you're special!

Let's get one thing straight here. I'm not a MM fanboy by any stretch - you'll just have to trust me on that one

I think you are mistaken, please allow me to reiterate.

I mixed this track with Mixerman and Strange Faces in mind. As such, their comments (Ryan's too) would be the most meaningful. MM's comments would be useful from a technical standpoint because:

I know his track record
    He's a better mixer than me
    He's impartial - it's his job as moderator
    Any advice he imparts will be drawn from a background of solid experience in the industry.

I can't say the same for 90% of everyone else on the forums.

Comments? yes, fine. Meaningful? only maybe.

That said, if MM critiques ANYONE's mixes. I'm sure there will be plenty to learn and I'll be a happy man.

As for your idea, if everyone wants it, fine. I see alot of potential for rampant egotism, bad blood & slanging matches.

I would rather engage say, all the moderators, 10 mixes each, pass 3 of their choice (for whatever their reasons) up to the next stage. I would also suggest that if the size of the event becomes unmanageable, then a waiting list would be fair with a finite amount of mixers taking part each time.

Just my opinion.

Paulie.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871177

Well thanks buddy for that glowing review.

I'm sure even your close ones think you're special!

Let's get one thing straight here. I'm not a MM fanboy by any stretch - you'll just have to trust me on that one
    Read my posting again until you understand.
    As long as you're no one he knows personally he most probably won't comment on your mix. Not on mine, either. That has nothing to do with the quality of your mix.

We have to pre-filter. Not the mods. Not Mixie. They won't have the time.
    What is so hard to understand here?

Mac
    Mac

wardrobe malfunction investigator 329 M/S Hen=Mock Chicken!
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Posts 36
    Rep Power 134217847

I'll be making comments on mixes soon. I've just been very busy and we have a show tomorrow night. I am going to try to catch up by this weekend. I am also going to try to listen to every single mix that comes in.

-Ryan
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 121

I agree that there should be a review system with tiers and choice picks ... it would encourage more people to submit reviews, and a shorter song list would allow for more in-depth and focused reviews.

Those who are generous with their time could always review more mixes I suppose.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location the yoo kay
    Posts 915
    Rep Power 536871069

Read my posting again until you understand.
    Mac, I did and I do. Perfectly

As long as you're no one he knows personally he most probably won't comment on your mix. Not on mine, either.
    That has nothing to do with the quality of your mix.
    Understood. Wouldn't presume to put words in his mouth, but you most likely presume rightly - if someone doesn't bring a mix to his attention, right? See I DO understand what you're proposing.

The bit about being special in my previous post was meant light-heartedly BTW. Note use of smilies!

We have to pre-filter. Not the mods.
    This is where I disagree with you for all the reasons I stated in my second post on this thread. Why do we HAVE to pre-filter? I think there's already been a couple of alternatives suggested here, check 'em out.

I don't even mind if none of the big guys comment, the experience of mixing some nicely tracked material and a great song was enough to make it worth the effort.

All I meant was, having "mixed it for mixerman" with THIS song and Strange Faces in mind, their comments/ critique would make the most sense to me. If he doesn't get to hear it well, that's just life aint it? What I'm not so sure about is us all reviewing each other because, of all the reasons I pointed out in my second post. Comments are fine though.

What is so hard to understand here?
    Nothing. You make your point perfectly eloquently. I just disagree that's all. I thought I had made my points perfectly eloquently too. Maybe not. It's really not a big deal to me.

All the best to you and good luck.

Paulie.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871177

Why do we HAVE to pre-filter?
    We have the time. We have agreed to participate, and IMO this means also to give some feedback.
    But having about 100 mixes most people won't comment (heck, I haven't even started this time). My proposal is just one possible solution to a) avoid to much comments to make and b) receive not enough comments.
    There may be better ideas (I'll check them out), that's not the question, but I don't think (like you said) "it's a poor idea".

Mac
    Mac

Hates these rank titles! Wife left with tractor salesman...got John Deere letter
    Join Date Aug 2007
    Location Australia
    Posts 202
    Rep Power 322830836

Who ever told you that in 'reality' things of this nature are less of an ego-fest told you grave lies... Either that or you may sure well be kidding yourself.

Besides if a panel like that perhaps wanted you to mix something for them, they'd either want you to do it because they know what to expect from you, or they want your name stamped to it, Otherwise thats a big risk on their behalf... and stooges aren't known too well for taking risks.

a drop in the Ocean.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location the yoo kay
    Posts 915
    Rep Power 536871069

Who ever told you that in 'reality' things of this nature are less of an ego-fest told you grave lies... Either that or you may sure well be kidding yourself.
    Nope. Nobody told me either - talking from experience here, not as a mixer, but as an artist who rejected a mix along with the producer because a named mixer took a delicate song and turned it into a cheesy power ballad. Not what that band was all about.

Yes, the company chose him because of his track record - they're in the business of selling records, but even they knew that this was the wrong mix for us so they had to bite the bullet.

So are all mixers egotists? Yes, I agree with you, alot of them are and maybe that's a job requirement!

However, I think the smart ones can steer a middle ground between doing what they do while thinking about what sort of journey the artist is on. This is why I keep banging on about "I mixed it for mixerman" etc etc.

The remixers are more likely the ones you give stuff to and say "just do your thing". Hence my previous comment about the mixit locker room.

This probably deserves a thread in itself where the guys actually doing the job can comment. I'm commenting on experiences from 15 years ago. Maybe these days mixers just do what they want, anyhow I'll know next time.

Paulie.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

I did not mix for MM or Strange Faces. I mixed for the song. Even if the job came from MM I'm not mixing it to what I'd believe he would've done. I'm mixing it the song's way.

I love this opportunity to mix those well tracked files. Thanks for the chance. It's one hell of a song.

Thanks MM and Strange Faces. I'll conform to any idea of commenting the mixes.

Cheers - Pär
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928059

I did not mix for MM or Strange Faces. I mixed for the song. Even if the job came from MM I'm not mixing it to what I'd believe he would've done. I'm mixing it the song's way.
    The song that was arranged, performed, recorded, and written
    by Strange Faces with Mixerman you mean?

I personally can't separate the influence of MM or Strange Faces
    from the song, as it wouldn't be what it is in the slightest
    without them.

Mixing for 'the song' IS mixing for MM/SF.

IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

The song that was arranged, performed, recorded, and written
    by Strange Faces with Mixerman you mean?

I personally can't separate the influence of MM or Strange Faces
    from the song, as it wouldn't be what it is in the slightest
    without them.

Mixing for 'the song' IS mixing for MM/SF.

IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc
    By definition - of course. I just wonder how many listened to MM's approach and you know, tried to... Nevermind.

Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts 30
    Rep Power 122

MacGregor:
    I like your idea. I was hoping to get through everyone's mix, but there is just too many and I have been overwhelmed with work stuff. With your suggestion/intent in mind, I started at the end and started moving forward toward the front of the pack with my listening and critiques. I too noticed that folks submitting near the end of the window were less likely to get reviewed. I will be posting my 15 or so critiques later today I hope. I believe I got through about the last 20% of mixes submitted. To be posted soonest.

G'day,

- having nearly 100 mixes for MiXiT 3 it's nearly impossible to comment on every mix

- usually the first submissions get a lot of comments, that last ones less

My proposal:

- everyone who submits a mix must comment on the following 10 (or whatever number seems approriate) following submission.

- if your mix is one of the last submission (so maybe only 3 mixes are submitted after yours) you'll start over at the beginning

Examples: lest assume we have 81 mixes available

- mixerdude 1 comments on the mixes 2-11
    - mixerdude 2 comments on the mixes 3-12
    - mixerdude 3 comments on the mixes 4-13
    - mixerdude 71 comments on the mixes 72-81
    - mixerdude 72 comments on the mixes 73-81 and mix 1
    - mixerdude 73 comments on the mixes 74-81 and 1-2
    - mixerdude 74 comments on the mixes 75-81 and 1-3
    - mixerdude 80 comments on mix 81 and mixes 1-9
    - mixerdude 81 comment on the mixes 1-10

This way everyone has only a limited number of mixes to comment, and everyone gets the same number of comments.

The only downside I see is that it makes most sense to wait until the submission deadline before commenting starts, if not dude no. 1 waits a long time for the first comment about his mix.

Maybe (but that'll be a discussion on its own) everyone can name his favorite/most interesting/whatnot of the mixes he commented on, and those favorites are discussed be the whole gang.

Whaddaya think?

Mac
    Last edited by annex2; May 19th, 2008 at 05:58 AM.